Headsets.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Mike Faith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Was a great fit for me."

Former Employee - Cs MANAGER in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cs MANAGER in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Headsets.com (More than 10 years)

Pros

I applied to Headsets.com with a plan of only staying there for a few months. I had another career plan, but needed a paycheck for a few months and it seemed like it would be easy, but boring, work. However, the interview process caught me off guard. I couldn’t understand why they had so many steps (phone interview, several in person interviews, little quizzes, etc.) for a customer service job. However, I was intrigued and stayed with it, figuring if it was this tricky to get the job, perhaps there was something to it. I did get hired and shortly thereafter changed my plans, and ended up staying on board for 10 years.
    I don’t think it is a great fit for everyone, hence the rather thorough interviewing process. The company wants people that are the proper fit skill-wise and attitude-wise, because it believes that people who are the right fits will perform better and be happier, which is good for the customers, the company, and the employees.
    Here is why I loved working there, and why some people might not (and keep in mind…it is still a job):· They love customers. Almost every decision was based on whether or not it would make for a better customer experience. I realized that I like treating people well and making them happy, so I was never asked to disappoint customers. I could make exceptions for them and talk on the phone as long as was needed to make them thrilled. I was judged on my ability to make people happy, not how a quickly I could get them off the phone, or other non-customer focused metrics. If you don’t genuinely enjoy helping customers (if you find it hard work to be genuinely helpful), you would not like it. You can only force liking customers for a short time, I’ve seen.
    · I was given clear expectations and held accountable. I enjoyed knowing what I was doing well and where I needed to improve. I had come to the company hoping to fly under the radar, but found that was not possible, and actually enjoyed being asked to contribute and do my best. Plus, as I worked on the becoming better, I was given additional responsibilities. I always interpreted the feedback and training as the company valuing me and I appreciated it. So, if you’re looking for a job that does not measure performance or give feedback, I would not apply.
    · Good people. Because the company is looking to hire smart, friendly, positive people, the office is made up of pleasant people to work with. Plus, the general atmosphere is a positive one, and the company makes efforts to keep it that way. Negative people won’t like it and likely won’t last long. This may be described as some ex-workers as “cultish”, but to me, it makes perfect sense that a company would want to maintain a positive atmosphere and that people’s attitudes are part of their performance. You can’t be a jerk…that makes sense to me.
    · Transparency and changes. Over the course of my time with Headsets.com, it went through many changes. Different products, different teams in the company, different locations, new projects, etc. It was evolving as well as reacting to outside factors. I felt the CEO always did a good job of keeping the team informed of why the company was making this decision or that one, and what the hope was. It didn’t always work out, but it usually did, and it was never boring. This doesn’t mean things were night and day week to week, but it was important to be prepared for some changes along the way. Maybe your hours would shift bit from time to time, or your role might change some, or you might move desks…if you need total consistency, you may think twice.

Cons

-The industry is not very exciting. Telephone headsets are not the most dynamic products to talk about all day.
    -The company hired a lot of customer service reps when I worked there, but there were not that many opportunities for advancement, as there were only so many management positions. So, advancement is not guaranteed, even for strong performers.
    -As mentioned above, some of the pros would be cons for some people.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard and asking a lot of the team and letting them know what is going well.

2. "Hard work, heavy learning. Not for the faint of heart"

Pros

Plenty of learning, always busy and hard work. Focused management. Great for those that want to get on. You'll get a lot of feedback and both internal and external training.

Cons

If you dont like to learn and dont like feedback this isn't your place. Its not for everyone and they'll let you know if its not a fit. You should be prepared to do the same.

3. "Couldn't have paid for a better education"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Headsets.com (More than 8 years)

Pros

During my 10 years with Headsets.com I learned well beyond the descriptions of my job. Mike really wants to have better people not just better employees. He is willing to spend time and effort making you better even if that prepares you for a job outside of Headsets.com

This isn't always easy or fun but at the end of it you realize how valuable it is for you. I can honestly say I wouldn't be half of what I am today without my time at Headsets.com

Cons

Only if you let them be Cons
    - Extremely high expectations of team members
    -required learning
    -opportunity to learn and grow everyday

4. "Great company to work for"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Headsets.com reminds me of my 8th grade English Teacher. Just like Ms. Runge, Headsets.com did a lot of things for me:

- I was pushed hard, sometimes what felt like beyond my abilities
    - I was challenged to change my thinking and perspective
    - I was given opportunities to learn what I like, don't like, what I'm good at and what I should avoid
    - I sometimes questioned whether I was in the right place
    - And in hindsight, I'm so appreciative of all of the challenges, opportunities, struggles and enlightening moments I came across

Having read a bunch of the other reviews of Headsets here, I can see where a lot of folks are coming from with their PROS and CONS. It's a darn challenging place to work, and equally as rewarding. It's a small company, which means it doesn't have a formal HR department, it's run a bit more loosely and sometimes aggressively, and on the flip side, more and different opportunities are available to people, even with zero experience and know-how.

I've read the word "cult" in more than one review of Headsets on Glassdoor. Headsets has a strong culture that suits some well, and doesn't suit others. If this is what you think of as a cult, don't work at Headsets. If you're after a strong culture where you can learn and be challenged while having a good time, providing amazing service, and making lasting relationships, this may be a great place for you.

If you're looking for a company where you can come in and do a really good job, and go home and not think about work - there are positions like that here. And if you desire more, and want to take on challenges while learning and growing, there are those positions as well. There's no room for doing less than is expected on an ongoing basis, and no room for working under the radar. And if you are put off by a company that has a strong identity, is driven hard, and has hands-on leadership, this is absolutely not the company for you.

Cons

Just like my 8th grade English class, Headsets.com is hard. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. And just like Ms. Runge, the company and leadership could benefit from taking it a bit easier on folks from time to time. Ultimately, I think the company has the balance pretty right, but it could be better.

The company works lean. There's not a lot of extra time in the day, which on the one hand keeps boredom to a minimum (yay!), but on the other, means that stress levels run a bit higher on average.

There isn't much corporate structure in the company. This wasn't a problem for me (in fact it was a benefit), but if that's what you're looking for in your next job/career, you won't find it here. The CEO doesn't have an office. There's no middle-management. The CFO is responsible for much more than just finance, and there can be some ambiguity when it comes to who's managing who, who reports to who, etc. This can be stressful and confusing at times.

Pay and performance aren't reviewed at the same time. If you're doing a killer job and your performance review demonstrates that, it doesn't necessarily translate into more money, immediately. Long-term, it likely will, but pay and performance are reviewed on different time tables.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep investing in employees who have potential in the company. Keep the high standards, and fun benefits. Increase the transparency in decision making and strategy. Keep improving the nurturing and development of new leaders in the company.

Don't sacrifice your mission and culture to be a better fit for folks who won't be a good fit long-term. But keep an eye out for opportunities to adjust and modify to make it a better fit for those folks who could be a long-term fit.

Get the balance right. A lot of us look back on our time at Headsets.com as one of learning, growth, development, challenge, fun, etc. However in the moment, it can feel overwhelming, and a notch or two too difficult. I think I would have gotten a lot more out of 8th Grade English, if I had realized in the moment just how great it was, rather than just in hindsight. If Headsets.com management can get that balance more right, it would be amazing.

5. "Growth and Learning"

Current Employee - Marketing & E-commerce in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing & E-commerce in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll learn more in a couple of months working here then you would from years of working at most other companies. Everyone in the company is constantly being presented with opportunities to learn and grow, both professionally and personally. This comes in the form of professional coaches, seminars, and internal mentoring. It's a company that genuinely cares about making sure you're better off when you leave then when you arrived.

Cons

It's damn hard work. If you're looking for a job to just be told what to do and clock out, this isn't the place for you. There's always something to do and no time for slacking off. You'll be pushed to your limit, and then a little further. Some people just can't handle such a high-expectation, fast-paced environment.

Advice to Management

Give some breathing room to new folks. Training is very intensive, and throws a huge mass of information at one time. Expecting a new person to fully embrace the culture of the company in a short time is a big ask.

6. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Headsets.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

one of the best companies to work for and to buy from

Cons

a skitch more meetings than i would hold

Advice to Management

keep it up

7. "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

The Good: You will learn a ton. If you fit in with this company they will go out of their way to teach you everything you want to know. You will never feel like you are being ignored or that you don't matter. You can get face time with anyone from the top and they will happily sit down with you and listen. You also can move to many different teams. You don't have to stay on the same team forever. They want you to learn. You will never find a company that wants you to succeed and wants to help you more than this one.

The company is nice enough to provide snacks and coffee for the office quite often.

If you need something to do your job better the company will get it for you.

Cons

The Bad: The company is super intense and is run a bit like a cult. They love their customers way more than their employees and it shows. For the quality they expect from their shipping team they pay next to nothing. If you do a good job on the phones we would get a bell letting everyone know you made a great sale. If you had an insane day in shipping, which is almost everyday since everything ships same day, you would get nothing except for a good job from your manager.

As far as customer service jobs go it's OK but as far as shipping goes you can do much better for the money. Especially since they try to run a skeleton crew and if someone leaves they will try not hiring and seeing if less people can do the same job even if it causes an insane amount of stress on the team.

The Ugly: In SF if you work in shipping you get to clean up human excrement a couple times a month. Again you can find other shipping jobs that pay higher with less of this.

Management will not only help you improve but all watch everything you do and comment on all of it. Some of it is great! Some of it is absolutely annoying. When I say everything I mean everything and I don't think anyone there would argue against this.

When I said the company will get anything to do your job better that is unless it is air conditioning. If you work in the TN branch you work in a very hot warehouse all summer with zero AC.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally. Stop treating shipping team members like they are lesser than everyone else. Would you make your customer service reps sit in a non air conditioned warehouse all day for an entire summer?

Keep up the active touching of each individual team member but also realize that helicopter parents have their downside and the same goes with management. Maybe don't change but realize the negative effect you can have on your employees with the company's culture and be more forward about that in your interviews.

8. "Good company at which to learn and grow!"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headsets.com was a challenging environment in which to work, but I'm saying that as a good thing. If you are interested in growing professionally and personally, this is a good place to learn some skills.

Cons

The bar of achievement can sometimes be raised too quickly or too high. This is the flip side of a challenging work environment.

Advice to Management

As much as possible/reasonable, invest in your employees as people (not just workers) and you will see your business flourish. Also, figure out how to sell your true competitive advantage (exceptional customer support) rather than just headsets.

9. "Great Company!"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

The People - The Atmosphere - The Environment - The Training & Knowledge Gained

Cons

More inter-office meetings and communications

"Great opportunities within, but it's a cult and the people are crazy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

I had a great opportunity for movement within the company, they're not shy about taking someones strengths and turning them into an applicable skill or finding a position that works best. I learned a lot about pretty much everything within the company while I was there, which has become invaluable in my career since leaving.

There are a lot of companies out there that tout great customer service as part of their MO, but I have never seen the level of customer service that I did while working with Headsets. Just above & beyond customer support, they train you well, they even brought in a voice coach for a long time to help you learn bad phone habits (never say sorry!).

Cons

Man, that place is a cult. You have to think a certain way, talk a certain way, act a certain way or you're not part of the team. They brainwash you and make you think what they're asking is completely normal but once you leave you realize you've left a super controlling environment.

The CEO has far, far too much involvement with the normal operations of things, and his personality is extremely intense and difficult for some people to handle. The other execs are definitely in a boys club with the CEO and it's been that way pretty much for as long as the company has been around. This leads to errors in judgement and concerns of some of the choices being made, as sometimes their choices are lead by friendship and not by smart business sense. This usually is a bad sign of a company, when leadership can't put itself in check because they're all in an echo chamber for too long.

I definitely have grown to appreciate what a real, successful company looks like since having left. Perspective is amazing.

Advice to Management

Let go, you hire amazing people - let them be amazing and don't take every single opportunity as one for coaching. It causes you to examine everything 10x.

No. More. Pickle. Talk.