Headsets.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Faith

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Customer Love in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Love in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Cons

Lots of managing involved. You can lose your personality easily.

Advice to Management

Outside of CEO, sometimes management are closed off to feedback.

2. "Great opportunities within, but it's a cult and the people are crazy"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

I had a great opportunity for movement within the company, they're not shy about taking someones strengths and turning them into an applicable skill or finding a position that works best. I learned a lot about pretty much everything within the company while I was there, which has become invaluable in my career since leaving.

There are a lot of companies out there that tout great customer service as part of their MO, but I have never seen the level of customer service that I did while working with Headsets. Just above & beyond customer support, they train you well, they even brought in a voice coach for a long time to help you learn bad phone habits (never say sorry!).

Cons

Man, that place is a cult. You have to think a certain way, talk a certain way, act a certain way or you're not part of the team. They brainwash you and make you think what they're asking is completely normal but once you leave you realize you've left a super controlling environment.

The CEO has far, far too much involvement with the normal operations of things, and his personality is extremely intense and difficult for some people to handle. The other execs are definitely in a boys club with the CEO and it's been that way pretty much for as long as the company has been around. This leads to errors in judgement and concerns of some of the choices being made, as sometimes their choices are lead by friendship and not by smart business sense. This usually is a bad sign of a company, when leadership can't put itself in check because they're all in an echo chamber for too long.

I definitely have grown to appreciate what a real, successful company looks like since having left. Perspective is amazing.

Advice to Management

Let go, you hire amazing people - let them be amazing and don't take every single opportunity as one for coaching. It causes you to examine everything 10x.

No. More. Pickle. Talk.

"Unreasonable Expectations"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Headsets.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is competitive, starting salaries are more than fair, particularly because they don't demand a lot of previous experience. Lots of opportunities for social growth within the company, networking is easy and enjoyable.

Cons

Unclear expectations in regards to responsibilities. As many people know, "lots of feedback" is code for "constant thinly veiled criticism in all areas". Desire for growth while being treated as a responsible adult is nonexistent. Coworkers sweet, but there is a reason the majority lack a higher education, and they are easily manipulated. Lots of "kool-aid" drinking going on.

Advice to Management

Learn basic respect for the adults that work under you. Recognize where your training and "feedback" culture is failing. Morale is more important than you think.

"Great Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Headsets.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks and benefits, culture, personal growth, company values, staff input. If had record sales the whole staff was rewarded. Friendly culture, they hire the right people. Lots of freedom to help out customers

Cons

Some shifts are really hours. It gets busy as it is a fast paced environment at times.

"misogynistic and demanding"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time

Pros

lots of chances for bonus structure, a seemingly liberal and open-minded company.

Cons

Absolutely rigorous and ridiculous demands by managers, a terrible place to work with any expectation of moving up within the company, despite what they tell you at the training. The CEO is a misogynistic, controlling, hyper micro-managing man with very unusual techniques in his style of leadership. He is unpredictable and doesn't care about his employees as individuals. Made very clear to employees that if they are to sue, even within reason, they will lose, as the company has enough financial backing to beat any individual to the ground.

Advice to Management

Stop hitting on your female employees and begin creating a safe space for your employees, without forcing them to get together en masse and discuss the terrible managerial techniques. Realize your employees do not feel safe there and do not lie to your incoming employees.

"Great company for self-motivate performers"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The work environment in fun & high-energy. With that come a high-degree of accountability. Competent, driven employees have opportunities to move up quickly if you're flexible with the area you're willing to work in. Lot's of exposure to how the business is run with a look a the books available to anyone that has an interest.

Cons

Base pay is competitive but medical benefits tend to be expensive with high co-pays and limited in what they cover. Retirement matching is at a generally low percentage and vacation time is on the low side. As with many small companies there are few opportunities to grow within your career vertical. Everyone needs to be comfortable wearing a lot of hats.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. The company has done well thus far under difficult conditions.

"Amateur Hour"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good Location
    Fun Coworkers
    Game nights
    Decent Medical
    Interesting Customers
    You get to leave early

Cons

Poor Management
    Unprofessional conduct of managers
    Management likes to skate in the "gray areas" of ethics and the legal system as long as they can make a buck!
    Weird head games/amateur psychology practiced by management

Advice to Management

You've been in business for over 10 years, it's time to grow up.
    Rather than head games, be honest with your employees. Stop trying to manipulate folks!

"Great building, poor company, apply elsewhere."

Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Awesome location
    Intelligent, funny, witty peers
    Ease of job
    Abundance of public transportation
    Pizza (once every Friday, now once a month)

Cons

Poor management skills
    Inexperienced management
    Upper management allows lower management to clamour for control
    Lower management scarily inefficient and exhibits emotional and immature leadership styles
    Lower management allowed to display unprofessional behavior
    Upper management takes the biggest piece of pie, while benefits are taken away from front line employees
    No room for promotion
    No opportunity for raises
    Job responsibility grows and grows while pay is reduced
    Upper and lower management use fear tactics to produce results

Advice to Management

Give back to the employees. Take a good look at your management. Realize that your managers are not helping things happen....take a chance and see what could happen with different managers in place.

"Friendly Company culture and Growth Opportunities Make Headsets.com a Great Company to Call "Home""

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you are the person that always works the hardest for little or no recognition or thanks..you'd be happy here at Headsets.com. We think of feedback as a gift and every day is a holiday here. You'll always have a great idea of what is expected of you and you'll be given the tools, materials and training needed to excel. You'll always know how well you are doing, because we have detailed standards that we measure, like Customer Service ratings. That's probably the most important of all. We love our Customers and our Customers come back to us to be treated well.

If you are Customer-focused you'll be very happy here -- you'll be given the chance to do what you do best every day and your opinions will be listened to. Mike actually pays us $10 for every idea we email to him -- and he picks the best idea every two weeks to win $500.

If you are the employee that shows up 5 minutes early to start up your computer and get your coffee, while others around you show up 5 minutes late to spend 10 more minutes waiting for a new pot to brew..you'd be happy here at Headsets.com. We value punctuality and I can't remember the last time I saw someone rushing in because they were even a minute late.

We have free bagels and organic fruit delivered daily to our kitchen, and Peet's coffee on tap. After 3 years of working here, we get a one month sabbatical. We are also paid two days per year to volunteer for a non-profit organization of our choice.

We focus on hiring the right people and nurturing them while they grow, so there is plenty of room for advancement here if you'd like to move up. We believe that providing excellent Customer Service for our Customers is a talent and so you can be happy and well-respected as a member of Customer Service for as long as you like. We've all worked here for over a year now - some people have been here for years in Customer Service and they are very happy with their position. You hear your coworkers complimenting each other on a constant basis. You hear people thanking each other for feedback. You are constantly reminded that you are valued and valuable. People here really care about each other and we help each other out all the time. It's an excellent home away from home.

Cons

We put so much emphasis on Customer Service and growth that you can't really have off-days here. There's no room. We don't spend all day surfing the web, waiting for work to do. Pretty much every minute of our day is committed to helping the organization in some aspect. There's no place for slackers here. We are dedicated to being responsible here, so if you'd like to hang out and receive paychecks while checking out youtube and having distracted conversations with Customers, this isn't the place. The culture of positivity, growth, and accountability can seem intimidating when first arriving at Headsets.com, however; it doesn't take much time to buy into it. You see how well others are treated around you and you want to be part of it, so you buy in.

Advice to Management

Mike Faith and the other members of senior management created a company culture that fosters growth in employees' work and personal lives. We are allotted a yearly training bonus of $2500 that we can use to improve our skill set. We are encouraged to improve in all areas of our life and Mike lives by this rule as well. I would say that Mike is a very visible CEO and he's willing to help out when needed. He's even picked up the phone and assisted a Customer on a few occasions. We appreciate that Mike is like a mentor to many of us and that he focuses so much attention on creating the kind of environment we all love to work in.

11. "Good company at which to learn and grow!"

I worked at Headsets.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Headsets.com was a challenging environment in which to work, but I'm saying that as a good thing. If you are interested in growing professionally and personally, this is a good place to learn some skills.

Cons

The bar of achievement can sometimes be raised too quickly or too high. This is the flip side of a challenging work environment.

Advice to Management

As much as possible/reasonable, invest in your employees as people (not just workers) and you will see your business flourish. Also, figure out how to sell your true competitive advantage (exceptional customer support) rather than just headsets.