HealthCorps Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Michelle Bouchard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Quick Learning Curve, Interesting Work"

Pros

- Amazing work environment
    - Flat structure

Cons

- Small workspace
    - Not much exposure to upper-level management

2. "Finance Intern"

Pros

You will be exposed to any aspects of finance and accounting

Cons

The training is not well-rounded.

3. "Not a strong executive team"

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at HealthCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work you do is life changing to your students and this is very redeeming

Cons

Managers are not helpful and executive leadership is missing

Advice to Management

Hire more managers

"Overall good"

I worked at HealthCorps full-time

Pros

The work is rewarding. It is a unique job that is tackling a huge issue. There are tons of resources provided. Everyone is passionate about wanting to make America healthy.

Cons

It is run more like a company than a nonprofit sometimes. Everyone is so spread out and there is a lot of communication issues. It is easy to feel disconnected from HC when you are not working in NYC. Everything is disorganized.

Advice to Management

Have on central office for all management. It causes problems that everyone is working remotely. Or at least have a yearly meeting or something so that everyone can meet the people they work with.

5. "great mission, some growing pains"

Pros

*you can feel proud of what the organization stands for
    *nice office in manhattan
    *working with a lot of wonderful people

Cons

*office is disorganized/bursting at the steams since it's growing fast. unequal top-bottom balance with lots of heads of things and less support staff.

"Has potential but needs a more effective strategy."

Pros

A lot of autonomy and creative freedom.

Cons

Very little support can make it hard to feel effective and achieve goals. The expectations are set too high, but it is kind of an unspoken rule that you don't have to actually do everything they tell you to do, which is not very strategic.

Advice to Management

Focus on depth rather than breadth of impact with programming. Do not force every coordinator to attempt to run every programmatic component (be more upfront with expectations and flexibility from the beginning).

Feb 18, 2016 – President

This is very helpful. thank you. Michelle Bouchard, President.

"Great mission & vision"

I have been working at HealthCorps full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and culture! Helping teens make healthier lifestyle choices is very rewarding!

Cons

A lot of work! The mission is very rewarding but sometimes feels insurmountable because of the need for our service!

"Great first job after college for passionate, intelligent and creative people"

Former Employee - Healthcorps Coordinator
    Former Employee - Healthcorps Coordinator

I worked at HealthCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You gain a lot of experience in different areas. Because you have a lot of responsibility, you gain valuable skills like teaching, leading meetings, planning events, mentoring, reporting, budgeting, etc. Having completed my two-year term, I feel like a very valuable candidate for other jobs.
    -You make great friends with awesome and inspiring co-workers, and fun and motivated students.
    -If you're passionate about health and wellness, this job let's you spend most of your waking hours talking about something you love, and making a concrete difference in an important field.
    -HealthCorps is getting better and better about making the employee experience a valuable one.

Cons

-Can be kind of disorganized, but I guess that's normal in a non-profit that's constantly growing and evolving.
    -Hard to have a work-life balance at times, but you just have to learn to not take work home.
    -Sometimes we're asked to do things on short-notice. But just be honest with your supervisor about how full your plate is.

Advice to Management

-Try to perfect this new 4-year model before making other significant changes. As Coordinators, it's really hard to keep up sometimes.
    -Please try to increase the salary, or have it based on the cost of living in different areas. Maybe even two fewer schools, and distribute that money to your different employees.
    -Please allow/encourage Coordinators to not do all program components. We are all different and have different strengths, and our schools are all different; I don't think we should all be expected to put on the same program in different schools.

Jun 5, 2016 – President

We have taken all your considerations into account and greatly appreciate your thoughtful review and constructive criticism.

Michelle Bouchard, President

"Entry-Level Sorority Girl Job"

Former Employee - Coordinator in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Coordinator in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at HealthCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any honestly.

Cons

If you're a sorority girl, this job is perfect for you. Just picture typical fake happy blonde atmosphere - for orientation, trainings, and monthly meetings.

This is a typical entry level job where it seems they take kids who have just graduated college and don't know whether they want to go back to school and can't find a job they want just yet so they pretend it's this AMAZING company and you get to "Meet Dr. Oz!" when it is really just a company who doesn't do much - it's a face for Dr Oz to look good. In the only meeting where we actually got to meet Dr. Oz the CFO prepped us for him coming in and called us "volunteers". Like, I get it, he gets paid a lot for what he does - but to call us volunteers when we are the ones working every day in school was rude.

Also, pay is poopy.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and pay just a little more (36K in NYC...ha.)

Nov 4, 2015 – President

I am sorry that you felt this way during your time with HealthCorps and wish you would have communicated your constructive criticism to your supervisors or to me. To say, however, that we don't do... More

10. "Review"

Pros

Many opportunities to develop different skill sets

Cons

Lack of communication and needs better internal cohesiveness.

Nov 4, 2015 – President

Thank you for your suggestion on communication and cohesiveness. We are working on this.

Michelle Bouchard