Hearsay Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clara Shih

"Fantastic people and best company I've been apart of!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked at Hearsay for more than 2 years and been meaning to write this for some time but never felt the need since there’s so many opportunities to share my thoughts through surveys and with my manager that I never had the urge! After seeing a few posts from disgruntled folks, I figured it was time to at least share my view!

-Work hard atmosphere but not a sweatshop. You will have the opportunity to take on additional projects and accelerate your career growth. Work smart and you will reap the benefits.

-Established processes, but still room to grow/change. The benefit of working at a company our size (close to 200) is that you aren't starting from scratch, but you're also not dealing with a ton of hierarchy. I think most people here report to a senior leader or have close enough relationships with executives to be able to suggest change. Have a way to improve something? You'll be able to shape the company in a big way.

-Wonderful benefits - 100% employee coverage, cell phone stipend, amazing maternity and paternity leave policies, unlimited vacation (yes, while Hearsay is a family, employees have their own families so there is a work life balance!)

-Strong relationships with senior leadership. They empower their employees to make decisions and have an impact on Hearsay's success.

-The people here are phenomenal. They are smart, caring, and always supportive. We've really lucked out and we continue to hire the right culture fits!

I can honestly say I look forward to coming to work everyday. Thankful for this opportunity - keep it up!

Cons

There’s been some executive turnover. It’s understandable that we’ve made some pivots throughout the lifecycle of our company and we needed to make some changes in leadership. Now, I see how some people might feel that it's political, but it's kept our company alive and thriving. It's apart of being a business. Our senior leadership team listens, probably more than any other company I’ve ever worked for and when you’re leading 200 people, it's just not possible to meet the needs of 200 people. There's going to be some cons wherever you go, but with all the pros it's really hard for me to not think how special Hearsay is.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people whether it's more development programs, hiring more people, or company wide events. Thank you for being approachable and powerful leaders!

"Highly political environment"

I worked at Hearsay Systems full-time

Pros

The good: Great customers, passionate engineering team. If you care about snacks and food, you'll like it here.

Cons

The bad: C-level team deaf to feedback. A lot of political in-fighting, and a CEO who has been maturing but a long way to go before anyone would call her a good manager of people.

Advice to Management

Not necessary. They won't take it. They do a great show of saying they have heard ideas or issues, and then do what they planned anyway.

3. "Ennui"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearsay Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still a relatively small company
    Piles and piles of perks

Cons

Pretends to be a startup, this is bad for hungry engineers. This is not a blue sky environment. If you're looking for small digit employee number company look elsewhere. The environment has gotten lethargic, the product is just good enough for the target audience. This is an enterprise company selling to companies.

Advice to Management

There's nothing left for hungry people. Stop marketing yourself as a startup. You're an established company.

Hearsay Systems Response

Nov 5, 2016 – CTO

I'm sorry that you got bored here -- I would argue that shouldn't happen regardless of the size of the company! I think different people define "startup" in a lot of different ways, and I'm not ... More

"Fantastic Work Environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearsay Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, great people, good perks, great location.

Cons

No major cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Diversity is a good thing, not just in terms of ethnicity.

"Hearsay Social"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hearsay Systems (More than a year)

Pros

An engaged, responsive, open management team. Clara, Steve, Mark worked hard every day to make that Company a great place for employees to work and to advance in their careers.

Cons

Too many snacks. I thoroughly enjoyed the variety of the catered lunches and the beer selection in the kegerator, but the over abundance of snacks definitely had a negative impact on my waist.

Advice to Management

Would be great if they could embrace working remotely a little more. I think they have probably done this out of necessity since my time there.

"Amazing place to work"

Pros

Competitive salary, health and commuter benefits, free lunch daily, unlimited snacks, coffee, beer, wine, and well put together company events. If you need something else, you only need to ask.

Cons

You own your own hours so based on the projects you are working on it can really fluctuate which can be a good thing or bad thing.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great talent quickly so that we can continue to grow and stay ahead of our future needs as we expand to future products to new customers. Continue to provide growth opportunities internally and competitive salaries to maintain our talent.

"CEO writes books, CIO named himself COO"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Free food, you can surf the web all day and if management likes you, you can 'work' from home and just not do anything.

Cons

The CEO is too busy building her own brand. Zero people skills, all about her books, her spotlight, her awesomeness. The original COO silently left - nobody was allowed to talk about it - and the other cofounder named himself COO. There are a lot of silently accepted inappropriate office romances and some customer facing staff have rather eclectic personal hobbies that don't align at all with the reputation they want to sell.

There is no QA. The COO openly jokes about customers being the QA team. If a customer complains long or loud enough, one of the many daily sprints may sort of kind of patch the issue. And the customer will be told it's a native network change that Hearsay had no power over. Management sanctions and encourages these stories. Attrition is sky high, the photo wall is spotty all the time. Quality people who don't play the game quickly find themselves passively pushed towards the exit. The company is 5 years old and still touts itself a start up. Anyone with an IQ above 5 can see something is not right here.

Advice to Management

CEO should write books. COO should figure out why so many sprints are needed to patch bugs. Product should not launch minimum viable product solutions (which are then sold at laughably high margins to poor customers who have no idea). And network changes should not be hidden from customers for months on end. You know you're doing things massively wrong if you have to jump thru so many hoops to spin the truth.

"Customer Success"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Hearsay Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing but good things to say about this company. I've been working here for almost 2 years and have had the best experience. The product, the Senior leadership, management, the PEOPLE, the culture...everything has been incredible!

Cons

The only con I can think of is if you come from a large corporation, you might be irked by the lack of some structure, but I came from Wall Street and it was a breath of fresh air for me. There is enough structure for me to feel supported and confident about the processes in place, but space for you to be creative about how you get things done.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"A company that truly cares about its employees and employees that care about each other"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hearsay Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hearsay Social has an amazing company culture through and through.

Managers care about your career as well as your well-being. There are frequent check-ins to confirm your career trajectory, happiness at the workplace and outside, and discuss any issues.

Coworkers are very smart, hard-working, always helpful, and supportive. They work hard during work-hours and throws down during party-hours. They're really active. To list a few events that they participate on a regular basis, there's a weekly climbing crew that ends up with awesome pizza and conversation, late-night ping pong competitions, basketball, logic puzzles, escape from the room, skiing/snowboarding, foodie group, poker, marathon, ironman, etc. They're all amazing.

Our leadership cares about us. Clara (our CEO and co-founder) gets breakfast with all the new-hires monthly to get to know them. Steve (our COO and co-founder) invites you to go drink with him if you're working late. Bi-annual events bring all employees together from all the offices for fun and games. It's great.

The office-space is open, collaborative, and has a lot of amenities -- free snacks (marked with stickers to indicate their relative healthiness), breakfast items, catered lunch, dinner deliveries, assortment of beverages (including coconut water), 2 kegs of beer, wines, etc.

The work is interesting and flexible. You can decide what you want to work on provided that it aligns with the company and customer goals. The team is very accepting of new technology, so you can always experiment with new ideas.

It's really easy to do great work here, because working in this environment makes me want to do the best work I can do. I want the company to succeed because I care about all its participants.

All-in-all, this might be work-heaven.

Cons

Since we are such a social and tight community, we're somewhat awkward when it comes to attrition. Sometimes the communication from the management is lacking or just non-existent. I think we're trying to learn and get better, but it's still not great. This hurts the company morale more than it should.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing! I think you guys are great, and I'll continue doing my best work for you.

"Eng"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

Pros

Good culture and ability to make an impact.

Cons

Runs too fast at times.