ICIX Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
David Marchand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company At An Exciting Time"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at ICIX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company at an exciting time as we’re switching client platforms. The company environment has all the advantages of an established and successful company with well-known clients combined with a sense of being a startup again.

The diversity and its benefits cannot be overstated. My colleagues are not only from around the country but also the world. Numerous ethnicities and backgrounds are represented and the different ways of thinking foster a stimulating and creative environment for solving business challenges together.

Pool table, snacks, meals, and company outings, too!

Cons

All the usual challenges and growing pains of being a startup but the leadership is approachable, experienced, and care about you. For example, I don't have the typical profile for someone in my role and the leadership acknowledged this during the interview process. Regardless, they said they saw potential and would help me in the role. Great place and time to learn at ICIX.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"ICIX"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at ICIX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ICIX has an amazing atmosphere and culture. We encourage each other to work as a team and everyone's ideas/opinions truly matter. Over my time at ICIX, thousands of decisions have been made and each and every one of them really did make a difference. Our suite of applications were not designed by just one person or pushed down from upper management.

Now that we are on the Salesforce platform, we have the ability to ideate and execute in a very short timeframe. This enables us to work closely with our customers to ensure that we completely solve their business problems AND we have fun doing it!

Everyone at ICIX is great to work with. We share the same goals in mind and always strive to get things done. All of the ICIX teams/departments collaborate together to create new things and solve problems. We never make a decision until everyone is on board. We have our disagreements on certain things, but we still manage to get through them collectively as an entire company.

Please disregard these negative comments on Glassdoor when you are taking a look at our page - they simply aren't true! We are all empowered to hold each other accountable, and I've been a part of various instances where we've done it bottom-up.

Cons

Company culture and personal growth are not just things we live by as an organization, but each of us feel personally committed and invested in ICIX. We are growing very rapidly in the market and we are currently struggling to bring great people on board. A "con" of working at ICIX is that we are just simply understaffed and getting the right people to help us on our journey is difficult being in such a highly competitive location in the SF Bay Area.

This isn't your average "perky" startup where we have happy hours every day or massage tables around the office. There is quite a bit of work to be done and I sincerely feel that everyone at ICIX is focused on the work and the bigger, real-world problems we are solving for.

Over the past few years, we've had a few management changes, engineering department changes, and overall directional switches. It's been a little stressful at times, but this is expected when you have less than 50 people in a startup and more opportunity to grow individually and together than we thought was possible!

Advice to Management

Find the right people for us to grow. Keep us on the right track.

"Lots of promise, great tech and potential, needs more people on the team"

I have been working at ICIX full-time

Pros

Fantastic concept and technology, like nothing else in our market. Good aims: Improve sustainability, accountability, documentation of compliance around the world, which means good suppliers are rewarded. The founder is amazing, and some other execs are good, too. The company's customer list is incredible, with the biggest retailers in the world.

Cons

Some of the management is working on communication and collaboration issues.

Advice to Management

Look for underapreciated talent within the company, and try to nurture the people and relationships you have now, while you're bringing in new talent to ramp up and support new customers. If people see good career paths and think they stand to gain with the company if they do good work, they will stay focused on the company's overall growth and doing what's right for ICIX.

"ICIX"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ICIX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at ICIX for over a decade. Accordingly, I’ve had the advantage of time to identify patterns and root causes.
    I’ve seen new investors join then place demands for changes in leadership and other key positions. Some changes resulted in improvements and some did not. As a result we’ve course corrected a few times but we’ve always stayed true to our original vision. As part of the course corrections I’ve seen leadership focus on new paths to first achieving then enhancing our goal. Through all of this, the underlying vision of Matt and Tim remains as relevant and important as it was back on day 1. A safe and transparent supply chain is our vision and that is the goal of our application.

I think the current leadership has found the most viable path, through our partnership with Salesforce, to deliver our product to a much broader audience thus increasing its potential effectiveness. It is reasonable and expected that rebuilding in Salesforce requires a shift in mindset and skill set that may not appeal to everyone. We all know safe zones are difficult to leave once we become entrenched in them. I see this new stage as an opportunity for us to grow both individually and as a company. We are introducing a whole new level of functionality to Salesforce and I know my contacts at Salesforce see the value we are creating for them. I continue to impress them with demos of our progress. The people who excel at ICIX are the people who expend their effort in finding ways to translate ICIX into Salesforce and improve upon it instead of complaining about how difficult it may be.

Cons

- From a management perspective;
    The issue that seems hardest to successfully address, and this may hold true at most tech companies whether they are VC funded or not, is the difficulty associated with finding talent in the Bay area capable of honest self-assessment, realistic expectations and commitment.
    I have 2 jobs on my resume and I spent over a decade at each. I’ve seen resumes submitted to ICIX from people who’ve held 6 jobs in 4 years some with titles like Director or VP that they couldn't have earned. I believe the answer isn’t to hire people who hop from job to job, demanding an unearned and inflated title, looking for the perfect job (it doesn’t exist). It is to hire people who can commit to imperfect circumstances and make every effort to build a successful company and receive the benefits and earn the appropriate titles through substantial personal contribution and sacrifice.

** I think we are now achieving a good balance between a core group of original, flexible people with industry knowledge and a growing group of new Salesforce oriented people with the insight and experience to make our transition successful.

- From a non-management perspective;
    The issue that has been the hardest to successfully address, again this may hold true at most tech companies, is the difficulty associated with hitting a frequently moving and poorly defined target. This is often the product of abrupt and poorly vetted changes in leadership. Over the years I’ve seen some people brought into leadership roles at ICIX who, based on prior accomplishments, didn’t deserve it. In the past this was partially the product of Investors making decisions about management changes based on incorrectly calibrated criteria.
    I understand that stepping into a leadership role at a company in mid-flight is difficult for anyone and it is not unreasonable to allow for a ramp-up period as they learn ICIX or principals of leadership, if it is a new role to them. If, over time, our leadership seems to be deficient or negligent in some manner, then it is our duty and right to speak up in a constructive manner for the company’s sake. It is important to note that how we present our message often helps determine how it will be received and, in a broader sense, it will shape our work environment. Successful investors and Leaders receive fair and honest input with an open mind because they know their effectiveness is directly influenced by the information they receive.

** Our new investors seem to be very accommodating and far less intrusive than some of our others. I also believe our current leadership team is composed both of people who are already excellent leaders and people who have that potential. If we continue to genuinely offer constructive input and accurate data to them it will benefit everyone and we will hit our targets together. In turn our investors will continue to witness tangible evidence of our capabilities and further proof of our application’s viability.

On a personal note;
    I write this review now because I think we have reached a point of true transformation in our development. We can move beyond the limitations of the past and develop a phenomenally useful and important product on a larger platform to reach many more people if we continue to evolve while maintaining focus. The stakes are high and the pressure can be too. But situations like this are the best for cultivating mindfulness which is essential for growth. I fail at times but I don’t give up.
    I am indebted to many of the current Leaders for their guidance, often at crucial points, that helped me grow beyond my self-imposed limitations and for having the wisdom to encourage fair and honest engagement when I've had concerns. Sometimes I was right and they received it with an open mind but sometimes I was wrong and they allowed me the opportunity to grow from the experiences without fear.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with us and know that we are committed to the success of ICIX. This will happen if we continue to work for it.

I only give 4 stars for anything because nothing is perfect (except maybe Parabola by Tool). And if it were we wouldn't have opportunities to cultivate patience and perseverance.

Jason Moore

"Struggling Start-Over Company with Potential but w/o Focus"

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at ICIX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Salesforce platform and promise of the technology is solid. Development struggles to keep up with market needs. So much potential in the marketplace for a platform like ICIX, but it is still questionable whether it will succeed. Maybe things have changed since I left though.

Cons

Management continuously talks down to employees. I didn't get the sense they valued people much. Execution is troubling.... I mean incredibly troubling! People don't show up to work. The ones that do are the top performers, but consistently yelled at for no good reason, but to appease leadership ego. It's just not a professional work environment that top notch people would want to work.

Advice to Management

Crawl, walk, then run. Over-promising and under-delivering is stressful to all and a recipe for long term disaster. Also, stop writing fake reviews about yourself on Glassdoor.

ICIX Response

Jul 22, 2017 – CEO

I always welcome people to raise their concerns and share their opinions. But I am troubled when inaccurate statements are made in public about a company and its valuable employees.
    To address... More

"Not really a startup. More like a start over."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I worked at ICIX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible product concept built on top of the #1 Cloud Platform in the world, Salesforce. There's still quite a bit of development work needed but the potential is certainly there.

Incredible list of customers and the founder is well regarded in the Supply Chain industry which opens a lot of doors.

Some genuinely incredible, hardworking people on every team. In fact, the hours could be long and the expectations unclear but everyone did what was expected and asked.

Many of the typical startup perks. Lunches, food onsite, team building events. The location isn't the best for everyone in the bay area but thats not unusual. Telecommuting is an option.

Cons

ICIX transitioned from the .NET to the SF platform a couple years ago. This resulted in a mass exodus of former employees but the founder and few key leaders remained. The decision to change course was a good one and the new product is incredible however, this is NOT a startup in the usual sense of the term. If you're expecting your voice to carry weight and have the opportunity to have influence in the direction of a growing company you will not get that here. The executives have a very clear idea of where they see this company going but they often don't agree with each other on that vision. This results in a lack of transparency from the top levels and confusing priorities for the individual contributors. Many employees are frustrated trying to manage conflicting expectations between leaders.

Advice to Management

You can't be good at everything so bring in talent to help build the company and then give them the freedom to do the very thing you hired them to do. This will require everyone at the executive level to deliver the same message and to regularly communicate successes, failures and lessons learned.

7. "Hope they find their way"

I worked at ICIX full-time

Pros

* Have the potential to be the best compliance solution on the Salesforce platform
    * Trying hard. Attempting another re-boot

Cons

* Reviews posted in 2016 can not be explained away as being from 2014. Does not make sense that someone would post a review two years later.
    * Really struggling to find and retain people especially in delivery
    * No telecommute available for Bay Area based employees

Advice to Management

* Don't oversell the current capabilities of your product
    * Board may want to look at replacing the CEO

ICIX Response

May 2, 2017 – CFO

ICIX has definitely affected major change and is well beyond a reboot. We have created an elegant solution on a world-classsaleforce.com platform and the CEO has the full support of the board... More

"Great Platform - Great Company - Great future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ICIX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solution is built stop a world class cloud platform. We have a super collaborative and diverse culture... everyone is looking to work together and help one another. Executive team rewards those that go above and beyond and take charge. Its one of the few places where you can work your way up into a true leadership role.

Cons

If you don't like working hard and need a predefined roadmap to know what to do next, you'll feel a little lost. There is plenty of leadership opportunity... you just need to take it.

The negative comments are from those that are used to being spoonfed... Being a leader a leader means finding the gaps that need plugging, figuring out how to plug it, be transparant, get consensus, get permission if need be (it will be given if you are right) and go for it. All why doing your day job...

Advice to Management

The only thing stopping anyone from being successful here is themselves. Don't give people career paths.. teach them how to build and define their own, keep supporting the people showing leadership, and help those that are trying but falling short from getting there.

Advice to employees... stop looking for others to tell you what to do... look around and do what needs to be done!

"The new ICIX has a bright future ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at ICIX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing list of customers. New investors committed to long term success. Solid strategy. Prime partnership with Salesforce.com. State of the Art architecture and Ux. Great culture besides all the changes in the past 2 years (technology).

Cons

Long hours. Travel can be intense at times. Need more top notch Salesforce Engineers, Architects and Project Managers.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on recruitment. Make sure internal promotion is possible.

"A lot of potential and a lot of work to be done"

I have been working at ICIX full-time

Pros

Very strong potential and traction with global customers & brands. At the forefront of using Salesforce.com platform in innovative ways. Diverse, multilingual and personable team. Dynamic environment the encourages employees to take initiative.

Cons

Start up culture that lacks some support resources and is short on staff

Advice to Management

Hire quickly but be patient enough to hire only the right people