ICLEI Reviews | Glassdoor

1.3
ICLEI Secretary General Gino Van Begin
Gino Van Begin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Awful management, poor structure"

Former Employee - Controller in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Controller in Oakland, CA

I worked at ICLEI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They met often as a group with people in other locations calling in. There seemed to be some camaraderie between employees that had worked there for years. They had good benefits and the pay was low to average. Location and access to transportation.

Cons

Management did not care about the employees and were biased towards some employees. They did not offer flexible hours and even demanded long hours be worked. The feeling in the building was one that was depressing and cold. The board is international and trying to have policies and paperwork signed off on was difficult. They didn't follow laws in the U.S. or know them and didn't accept guidance.

Advice to Management

Involve your employees in key decisions. Have an inviting atmosphere at work with opportunities for some fun during the month. Review your pay scale and your board structure towards properly governing the U.S. offices.

"Poor working conditions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Good location, nice employees and everyone shared in kitchen duties. Poor location in Oakland when there are protests as it's directly across from City Hall making it difficult to concentrate and unsafe.

Cons

Required exempt employees to work 50+ hours per week, btw this is not legal to require a certain number of hours if your work is being done. The office environment was so quiet you could hear a pin drop and employees couldn't readily talk with each other. They lacked team bonding. The management did not know the laws in California and it was not managed well I'm assuming because they were international. The CFO didn't know employment law or payroll tax liability in the differing US states.

Advice to Management

Hire a Business Manager or Controller with an HR background in the office to manage employment law and payroll taxes out of state along with the required fund accounting.

3. "Good for entry-level, little opportunity for growth"

Pros

- International working environment
    - Flexible work hours
    - Exposure to international colleagues, partners and issues
    - Opportunities to travel

Cons

- Frequent overtime
    - Extremely below average salaries for the German employment landscape
    - Inexistant training opportunities
    - Limited opportunities for professional growth
    - Scarce, difficult and unequal opportunities for promotions

"Huge issues for a small office"

Former Employee - Project Officer in Bonn (Germany)

Pros

travel, networking, most colleagues and team spirit at staff level.

Cons

Some key managerial positions are held by unqualified people. Despite blatant strategic mistakes, these people are still in place, protected by the hierarchy. Management as rule will disregard any initiatives, won't offer career development opportunities, training or just recognition of work because they only care about their own performance and don't see the long term benefits of keeping staff motivated. Unfortunately this approach can be explained as the main strategy consists of firing in every possible direction with the hope of getting project money to pay for high management salaries and non strategic work. Since non-management staff is disposable there is no incentive to try to keep them motivated or interested.
    There is also a feeling of discrimination when people whose contract can be extended will not be offered the best conditions if they depend on a visa to stay and work in Germany.
    If you have to go there as a last resort, use the networking opportunities to leave as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

a rising tide lifts all the boat

"Do not work here!"

I worked at ICLEI full-time

Pros

Great colleagues! This is such s great group! A lot of support and good banter

Cons

Luckily I found a new position so that I could leave ICLEI before my contract ends. This place is simply aweful. You do extremely hard work and get not even as much as an acknowledgment from the senior managers. It is exploitation. They do not care about personal development nor about actual skills or experiences. With my team we carried out one of the most successful projects of iclei in a long time (according to my colleagues). In order to make this happened we worked very long hours and put a lot of passion and energy into our work. The team supervisor over achieved in fundraising and other project objectives. A very talented and driven person. As a thank you this person is being bullied out and 2 of the senior managers are going around taking credit for the work our team did and saying untrue and bullish things about my supervisor. Also, I applied for a job in my field (over 3 years experience in similar organisation) at iclei and ended up often doing simple administrative and stupid tasks. While there is need to people like me with experience, they prefer to underperform than to share what they seem to believe are activities and knowledge only open to a clique of 3-4 managers. The fact that I had much more demanding responsibilities in my previous job where I did very well does not interest them unless it serves their personal advancement.

Advice to Management

If you feel threatened by a young professional, you probably are not good at your job. You are not good at your job. The entire office thinks so but will not tell you to your face, ICLEI is being managed by 90's standards and is completely out of touch with how to create success and actually getting work done in the 21st century.

"Worst management ever! No clear vision or structure."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bonn (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bonn (Germany)

Pros

Only take a job here if you are just out of university studies and need a little something on your CV.

Cons

This place has major management and structural problems (Bonn office). They constantly hire and replace young interns and employees who are underpaid and burned out. Experienced employees are not treated with respect and are not able realize the insight they bring from outside. ICLE is an outdated, chaotic place that lacks a clear vision, lacks organization and seems to be living in the 1990s (just look at their logo).

Advice to Management

1. Fire yourself or take Management 101 classes
    2. Get a clear vision of what you want to be. 2-3 goals max...not 8 vague "agendas"
    3. Rebrand yourself if you want to survive.