IQE Reviews | Glassdoor

Drew Nelson

"IQE Engineer Review"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at IQE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast pace and intensive day to day research. Projects include cutting edge technology with both consumer and military applications. Clean working environment with an emphasis on safe working conditions.

Cons

In the past ten years there has been a slump in yearly salary increases. With the very minimal salary increases, performance reviews are viewed as a waste of ones time, leading to a company wide low morale.

Advice to Management

It has not gone unnoticed that upper management has done extensive investing in buying additional facilities to help round out their portfolio. Coupled with the minimal yearly salary increases this has lead to a general feeling of unrest in employee morale, fearing the worst that the company may be gearing up for an acquisition.

"Wow. That is all I have to say."

Former Employee - Characterization Technician in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Characterization Technician in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at IQE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Surprisingly low cost compared to other employers.

Cons

The morale of employees. This place may have been the cat's meow back in the day; but in this day and age it is a terrible company. Apparently you can underachieve here or do the bare minimum and get promoted. Better yet you can sleep on the job and get promoted.

There is a lack of communication between management and employees. The lack of this causes a severe case of loss of respect.

Employees here are expected to slave away while management pads their pockets and make decisions that are detrimental to employee growth and company growth.

The equipment here is so old and decrepit that it all needs to be replaced.

The old adage goes "To make money, you have spend money." This company refuses to do so.

So glad I'm getting out.

Advice to Management

Loosen up the straps on the pocket book and get some equipment that is reliable. Hire more employees that can cover when people call out so that reactors don't sit idle. This company can be great once again if you get your heads out of your butts.

"Could I give zero star?"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at IQE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health package is good for those who never get sick. Even you need to go to hospital a bit, you still pay less than staying with a lot other companies. Cons explain why.

Cons

This place is full of slave drivers. Engineers get beaten so hard to work. Almost everyone needs to work during weekend, no matter in the company or at home. The management is poor. Decisions are often made in a rush. No good organization for projects. Top guys never care the life of the engineers. No respect.

Advice to Management

No word.

"IQE is nothing to write home about."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

The benefits package is very good over all. For example, health benefits are excellent in my opinion. We pay a part of our coverage, but when compared to other companies we pay less.

Cons

Unfortunately there is a need to know culture here at IQE. Management over all does not seem to think highly of it's employees. This shows in the attitude and pay. Also, there is no way to offer feedback up the chain of command. There is so much potential here for IQE to be great, and we shoot ourselves in the foot more often then not.

Advice to Management

Start respecting people for what they can contribute. When they do well, reward them for it. Make us feel like part of a team rather than just an expendable cog in the machine. Respect is a two way street and must be earned on both sides. Management should make the first move. And, above all, learn to take advice from your employees. They might just have an eloquent solution to a problem that the higher ups just didn't think of.

"No where to move up to."

Current Employee - MBE Technician in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - MBE Technician in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

The three day schedule is beneficial for making plans outside of work. Also, the job doesn't come home with you once your day/week is done.

Cons

Management doesn't know half of production, the pay is terrible, half of the equipment is broken, and management does a very good job of keeping everyone in the dark.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see them take the time to get to know new employees and at least act interested. Also rate people based on education and background, rather than lump all new hires into one generic category.

6. "IQE"

I worked at IQE full-time

Pros

People are great, job is interesting, always something new to learn.

Cons

Hours were tough for a family.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more, some of them have good ideas.

7. "Has Potential but Falls Short"

I worked at IQE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the Bethlehem office where I worked most of the local people were very nice. The health insurance was also very generous.

Cons

IQE used to be great to work for before we merged with a company from the UK. Most if not all management has since been moved to the UK and pretty much all that once made IQE great has gone in the process.

IQE once used to be a place where we could all sit around a table and pow-wow about ideas. Now, it has turned into a place where you largely sit around waiting for orders from the UK which are expected to be followed without question. New ideas are often shot down, unless they come from a source the UK likes. As an example, I was a witness to an idea being poo-poo'd in a meeting only to have the exact same idea re-suggested a couple of meetings later by someone else and it was suddenly a great idea. And this wasn't the only occurrence.

Let me be clear that the US staff are still as nice as they ever were for the most part. And our direct manager was very nice and understanding often agreeing with our ideas. Unfortunately, it seems that he was mostly powerless to persuade the top tiers that any ideas other than their own were worth looking into.

This really comes to the point which is that the issues with IQE (and so many other companies I imagine) originate at the very top. The tone is set and trickles down to the rest of the organization. Unfortunately, that tone is one of over self importance and favoritism.

If you are the kind of person who is happy to mindlessly sit at your desk taking care of the most mundane tasks until you are given orders from above then IQE is the place for you. If you like to think your way through problems in creative ways and apply your solutions then you would do well to find employment elsewhere.

Alas, IQE, are are now but a shadow of what you once were and it saddens me greatly to see such potential lost.

Advice to Management

I would suggest you start weighing ideas on their worth rather than the source of the idea itself.

I also would suggest that you learn you have to spend a little money to save some money in the long run. For example, keeping equipment well maintained in a proactive way rather than taking a break fix approach saves in the long run. Unexpected down times are costly.

In short, the cheapest solution isn't always the best.

"Listen to customers, including passing the customer expectations timely to key departments or functional groups."

I have been working at IQE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company as a whole is in transition phase from small individual groups to a bigger ONE. System is under development, and more can be learned in this transition for new comers.

Cons

The overall trend of the industry is not looking promising for the company if New Product Launch or new product lines can not be released by R&D on time.

Advice to Management

Spend time and collect inputs from all levels of employees, not just listen to one side of the story.

"Highs and lows"

I have been working at IQE full-time

Pros

Dynamic and fast paced
    Total RF portfolio customer base
    Attempting to expand into non-RF business ventures.

Cons

Expanding to quickly
    Total focus on money and revenue that can stall projects
    communication and internal competition

Advice to Management

Utilize the facilities that have been brought into IQE group. The talent base across the company is highly capable and should have little supervision to accomplish corporate goals.

10. "a small company to work with little progress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

The boss is nice to senior loyal workers. its a good place for ppl with no ambition for career & income development but stability.

Cons

- not systematic, you can not even get a proper payslip...
    - no talented ppl but one or two founding members.

Advice to Management

some incapable managers hired to manage some departments which caused the productivity & efficiency badly hurt. they should be removed to avoid any further damage.