ISTE Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Brian Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The best we've ever been"

I have been working at ISTE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ISTE has been through tremendous change, especially in the last few years. But finally so many pieces have come together, thanks primarily to very strong new leadership and an outstanding CEO that provides a vision that makes sense and is inspiring. Staff is comprised of so many individuals who a smart, passionate, dedicated and kind. We are still working out the "how" on a lot of great ideas so there's always room to grow. But I think we really are on a productive and effective path of really influencing the field of education. People work with a good sense of teamwork and respect. There's a lot of room for personal growth and satisfaction. New CEO started May 1 and has made all the difference in the world!

Cons

We are a very small staff for the amount of work we do. We're spread out all over the country, in two offices (East and West Coast) but the majority of people work remote, mostly in Oregon. While there are some personal advantages to remote work, we miss out on the good that comes when working together in person on a regular basis. Everyone has a very full plate, so if you think you might come in and coast, you won't make it.

2. "Collaborative and Progressive organization"

I have been working at ISTE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ISTE is a highly collaborative organization consisting of a group of very motivated, incredibly intelligent, and passionate people! A very progressive culture as we have embraced moving towards a distributed and virtual working environment. I feel very fortunate that the company has gone to great lengths to become forward thinking and also extremely supportive of how important work-life balance is for employees. ISTE understands that my professional life is only a part of my life's big picture, this helps me to cultivate myself as whole person, and perform at my best every day. I truly feel cared about as an individual working here by all of my colleagues, including the executive team. I also feel listened to, empowered in my role and respected. I always feel that my voice is being heard, and that my daily work is having an impact within the company as well as the technology and educational industries.

We also have regular and fun employee get togethers that really cement our team bonding and chemistry!

Cons

Not necessarily a con, however someone working at this organization needs to be comfortable with change, and able to adapt to the progressive nature of ISTE.

Advice to Management

I absolutely love and respect this company. My current role at ISTE is what I have dreamed of for many years, and I feel fortunate each and every day. My colleagues and I highly value the current culture, progressive thinking, and flexibility, and virtual working opportunity. Communication, honesty, and transparency are very important to the staff of the organization. Thank you for reading this!

3. "Great vision, poor management"

I have been working at ISTE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ISTE does a lot of really great things for the edtech community. Work-life balance is the best I've ever experienced. Lots of really passionate people work here.

Cons

There is a huge amount of mistrust of senior leaders, backhanded political decisions and poor management. Favoring employees that don't pull their weight makes the good employees leave.

Advice to Management

Remove politics and favoritism from hiring, firing and promoting to regain trust of employees.

4. "Progressive organization"

I worked at ISTE full-time

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Strong team environment; can see the result of your work.

Cons

Organization needs more focus; tries to do too many things

"Going in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at ISTE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission is great. Members are amazing and passionate educators and they inspire me all the time. Our conference is the best of its kind in the world and something to be very proud of. Remote work environment so there is a lot of flexibility. Most staff people are really good people and great to work with. Good advancement from within. Generous PTO.

Cons

CEO made good changes at first but now has gone way past what was best for the org. ISTE has lost its heart and soul and replaced it with shiny buzz words and empty tag lines. Staff has been directed to make more money, cut services, and charge more. Focus seems to be on making money, not building up educators and truly being leaders in the field. There are no educators on staff anymore but there sure are a lot of business and marketing people. How can you truly lead in the field of education without having educators as part of the core of the organization? For such a small org, there is a ridiculous amount of bureaucracy and drama at times.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with members and less time getting excited about what color the new carpet is. Advice to board: ask the hard questions of the many people who have left within the last year or two and listen to them, especially the ones who are very well respected in the field. With all the many more changes on the horizon, has it not occurred to you yet that the staff will likely be dropping like flies in the next six months?

"Good place"

Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Eugene, OR

Pros

Great mission; great cause; nice people. ISTE does their core mission (member network, annual conference, and advocacy) very well. Get to work from anywhere in the country, too!

The huge ed tech practitioner network allows a learning designer to reach a wide audience.

Cons

Still developing a robust technology infrastructure; needs more oxford comma fans. ;-)

"Positive culture and change for the better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ISTE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- opportunities for career growth - this comes with an organization that is working hard to change
    - progressive and flexible work environment
    - very family friendly
    - supports virtual and remote work
    - governed by a board that supports organizational change and specifically hired a new CEO in 2013 to lead that change and evolve the organization to a new level
    - being a non-profit, resources are limited - don't expect heavy bureaucracy and a very structured work environment - it is more entrepreneurial in nature - great for many, but not the right work environment for others who prefer lots of structure

Cons

- with a large annual conference serving 20,000+, the workload can be heavy at certain times of the year - not really a con but a work aspect that comes with an organization with a focus on large scale events
    - there are still a few employees on hand who embrace the old traditional work culture and who have been unable to transition to a culture of change and progression

Advice to Management

keep rolling forward! staying relevant means continuing to change the organization and adapt

8. "Culture of change and innovation"

I have been working at ISTE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ISTE staff is the most passionate and entrepreneurial team I have worked with. The work is fulfilling and leadership encourages and supports employees to grow in their area of expertise. The compensation is fair and the PTO benefits are great! Performance evaluations focus on staff growth and coaching.

Cons

Change is constant here, which is challenging for some people. The organization is still working to remove silos between departments.

Advice to Management

With a growing remote staff, communication tools need to be improved. The work the leadership team is working on to improve communications, establish priorities, resource projects and support work-life balance is appreciated.

9. "Major org change"

Pros

members are passionate about mission

Cons

poor management practices and communication

10. "Started out great and is now on the great decline..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at ISTE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I loved working with the former management, prior to the CFO leaving. It was a great group of passionate people that really cared about education.

Cons

This company has eliminated a LOT of positions over the last couple of years. Outsourcing is the new buzzword. I really can't figure out if there is a new vision and if so, what it is. They have eliminated several departments.

Advice to Management

Figure out where you are taking the organization and share it with the staff. Honest information is better than no information.