Integral Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Integral Group President & CEO Kevin Hydes
Kevin Hydes

"Cool Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group (More than a year)

Pros

The company has an emphasis on energy efficiency and has some really cool projects in their portfolio. Cool place to learn about good engineering design and energy efficiency.

Cons

Mentorship still needs development. Too much of an emphasis on staying billable.

Advice to Management

Provide better mentorship to keep talent

Feb 24, 2017 – Manager, People Department

Thanks for your review! We agree we have room to grow when it comes to more formal mentorships. We'd love more feedback from you on this, so please reach out to our People Director, Tiffany Elston ... More

"Smart amazing people, poor management"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Integral Group full-time

Pros

You are surrounded by very smart, interesting people who are driven to change the building industry. The projects are interesting and you work with top notch architects and clients. The social aspect of work is great. The project concepts and ideas are innovative and end up with effective and sustainable building designs. The management are very nice and put a lot of trust in many young engineers. It is a great place to get your foot in the door in the AEC industry.

Cons

Although the management are all very well intentioned, nice people, the actual management of staff was horrible. There was very little oversight of the young engineers which they tend to hire. There seems to be a LOT of overhead costs such as business development that add questionable value to the business. Big projects are won and very little attention is given to actually delivering quality, detail driven designs. There were virtually no standard details or processes at the company other than those spearheaded by a few individuals. There is a severe lack of experienced project engineers.

Advice to Management

Put REAL money and time into training and retaining employees, standards and experienced engineering staff. Slim down on high overhead expenses.

"Design engineer"

Pros

Very cool people to work with. Like the office environment. Seems everyone gets alone fine and no drama. They really into green

Cons

Ok here the crappy part. People are quitting and you not replacing them and try to squeeze more work outa the already overloaded staff. What the he'll is going on. I tell you more people will quit and you won't have anyone to do your work! Some offices have no support all. Well barely. It's tiring. It so dam tiring that even I'm not sure I can last!!
    You are not replacing the staff when they leave! One example is the Oakland plumbing office. That's just one example. Are you gonna replace the already overloaded staff???

Probably not. More people will quit as a result and your company will be labels as a sweat shop company. If you really care about your reputation heed my warning. Principles don't act like your employees satisfied being overworked cause you don't wanna replace lost staff.

I don't know how long I will last here.

Nov 7, 2016 – Manager, People Department

We really appreciate that you took the time to write this review. We understand that work/life balance is a challenge for many firms in our industry, and we continue to try to make sure our ... More

5. "Marketing Manager"

Pros

Great people, no micromanagement, took on interesting projects and had innovative solutions.

Cons

The office environment had no culture. Everyone with their heads down and was eerily quiet. No character at all.

Advice to Management

Take more time to invest in your people, so they know their work is valuable.

Nov 18, 2016 – Manager, People Department

Thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback - we appreciate it!

6. "Great Company to Work"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Brilliant company to work for.

Cons

None that i can think of

Nov 7, 2016 – Office Manager

Thanks for your positive review, and all your hard work!

"sweatshop"

Pros

great staff. .great work. good locations

Cons

horrendous conditions. Total sweatshop. no transparency. They are losing money hand over fist and blaming it on employees while asking them to work harder and harder

Advice to Management

take care of staff. you are your employees.

"Opportunity for the driven"

I have been working at Integral Group full-time

Pros

Integral Group is a firm that will take you as far as you want to go, but growth is independently driven. Continuing education is funded and you are regularly exposed to new opportunities. You will grow quickly here if you are driven.

This firm is taking big steps every year.
    Great coworkers.
    Best MEP firm in the bay-area to work for.

Cons

Do not expect to have your hand held. Those who rely on others to assign them work or give them discrete one-off tasks often end up feeling lost or forgotten.

Advice to Management

Take on less, and focus more on your employees. Integral Group is filled with many bright engineers / designers. Recognize some people require different levels of management. Reward those who take ownership.

Nov 18, 2016 – Manager, People Department

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback, and agree that our company, like many in our industry, is a very fast-paced and exciting environment. There are many opportunities for growth ... More

"I wouldn't work at any other MEP Design firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Integral Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

--You might find a cooler working environment at Google or Facebook, but probably not in this industry.

--Seriously cool people. 90% of my best friends are coworkers and I hang out with them after/before work. There aren't any people at work that I just can't stand to be around. Office drama is extremely low. People show up to get great work done and make an impact, not engage in silly office politics.

--The vision and mission. This company was *built on* the ideals of sustainability, environmental and social justice, being part of the struggle against climate change, etc. These notions were not "bolted on" after it became hip to do so. We were green before it was cool to be green. We constantly struggle with the issues of integrity and how best to fulfill our vision while still being a profitable company, but this fundamentally positive vision comes from the top _and_ the bottom.

--The opportunity to make a name for yourself in the industry. As other reviews have alluded to, IG is growing fast *and* doesn't have a strong culture of structure, of formal systems, of "this is how we do things". The upside of this is that if you want to show up, work hard, have creative ideas, and try them out, there is no better place to do so. There are a ton of areas that are low-hanging fruit for improvement, for process innovation, for the right individual to come along and make a killer system and do great work, even (particularly?) entry level folks.

(This is a fine point: at IG, it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Many people aren't comfortable taking risked initiative, and need a strong and well-defined support system in which to operate. This is a perfectly valid desire, but to be frank, those people should work somewhere else. More about this in the 'cons' section.)

-The Network. IG knows a lot of the best people doing the best work. You have a shot at working with those people if you work here.

-The Projects. For the most part, IG does really interesting work. We don't do (or know how to do) copy/paste design.

-Recognition and effort by management to address the issues caused by rapid growth and lack of structure. Some things aren't functioning well right now, but they are being actively worked on.

Cons

-The Howling Maelstrom. To do well at IG right now, you have to be comfortable with high levels of uncertainty and chaos. You'll need a deep reserve of personal confidence and direction. A lot of work is being done right now to fix this, but I'm not going to tell you that it's all smooth sailing now. It can be a bumpy ride at time, and if you aren't prepared to take advantage of or thrive in that kind of environment, you shouldn't work here.

-Risk of getting overworked. When I first showed up at IG I said yes every time someone asked me to do something. It didn't take long for me to burn out hard. That really sucked. Now I say no a lot and I have a good work/life balance. Part of the lack of structure at IG right now means that probably the only person who really knows how much you work is you. There is no good system in place (currently) to keep random people from asking you to do way more than you should be asked to do. So it falls on you, and saying "no" to your boss or some other important person who isn't even your boss is tough. If you're looking for an environment that *teaches* you how to manage work/life, move along (unless you're looking for the school of hard knocks...). But a good work/life balance can be had, if you fight for it.

-Growing pains, and all that entails. This firm isn't on cruise mode. Some stuff broke and isn't fixed yet.

Advice to Management

You know what to do. Just execute.

Nov 18, 2016 – Manager, People Department

Thank you for such a thorough and candid review. We agree that burn out potential is a real challenge in our industry, and we are continuing to improve our flexible work schedule for employees who ... More

"Dysfunctional"

I have been working at Integral Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Concept of green engineering is great.

Cons

Very dysfunctional. Not enough support staff.

"Dynamic and Passionate Culture"

I have been working at Integral Group full-time

Pros

Vibrant, young, and passionate employees who really want to "walk the walk" when it come to sustainable design.

Great working environment: relaxed, friendly, team-oriented - people really bond here.

Award-winning work with high-profile clients.

Deeply embedded in the sustainable A/C/E community. Active witihin USGBC GreenBuild, UC Berkeley Center for Built Environment, ASHRAE, Living Building Challenge/ILFI, Net Zero Energy and others.

Lots of growth in the past three years, and still growing!

Cons

Transitioning out of its start-up mentality phase into a more structured business - there have been growing pains!

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the independent spirit which is a hallmark of sustainable design, while providing more robust mentorship for the rising middle management group that will become the future leaders of our company.