Intercom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Intercom Co-Founder and CEO Eoghan McCabe
Eoghan McCabe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The culture is great with great benefits like unlimited pto, daily catered lunches and a positive, techy environment" (in 7 reviews)

• "The Admin team sit with our Co-Founders and Exec Leadership Team" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intercom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    fast pace
    continue growth
    Awesome office

Cons

sales team is still new an developing
    almost all your time is spent on the computer at your desk

Thank you!

"Lots of growth"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired at Intercom at a very exciting time...lots of organizational growth and advancement of the product in a short amount of time. The people and culture at Intercom were great during my time there, but felt there was a lot of disorganization with management, especially amongst the sales team.

Cons

Lots of outside hiring and no defined career path made it difficult to stay. Unrealistic expectations for some of the department quotas.

Advice to Management

Make a more defined career path to communicate and demonstrate more internal promotions.

"Fast Growth Company But Lack of People Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intercom is a great environment to work in if you want to meet smart, talented people with great ideas and ambition. The product is innovative and the mission of the company is respectable and inspiring.

Cons

The company doesn't promote within and many talented people leave because of poor management or lack of growth opportunities. Many women were leaving or left the company at a rate that seemed high based on the percentage of women there.

Advice to Management

My advice is to hold managers accountable for their team success, turnover and overall happiness of their team. I would encourage managers to rate themselves on a regular basis and require that they track the progress of their teams instead of letting good people leave the company. Invest more in the people they hire so that they can do their best work in a safe, and supportive environment instead of a stressful one.

"Like the Titanic before people realize there aren’t enough lifeboats"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Patagonia jacket on Day 1

Cons

They talk about culture, but they don’t follow through with actions. You will work very long hours and be very short staffed.

If you are lucky, you will have a good person as a manager. Your manager may be compassionate and try to protect you from the overload.

If you are not so lucky, People Ops and executive team will do nothing. They will thank you for the feedback and then decide you’re the problem.

It isn’t unusual to go 18 months without any salary increase. Nada. Zip. Zero percent increase while your cost of living keeps increasing.

They just forced out the CMO and a director of engineering within their first year. I don’t know how they plan to build software or market it without the leadership. (You’d have to be pretty confident or pretty crazy to choose to do both terminations in one month.)

They are losing a lot of people in the middle layers of management and ICs too.

Advice to Management

Get acquired by a bigger company before you lose all your employees.

"poor work/life balance"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intercom full-time

Pros

good perks, nice people, interesting product.

Cons

work life balance is one of the worst i've seen. general vibe of the staff is a bit low which sucks.

sucks that different offices get better things than others sometimes. eg. dinner

"Terrifying & Traumatic Experience"

Former Employee - Recruiting
    Former Employee - Recruiting

I worked at Intercom full-time

Pros

- Great brand
    - Amazing investors
    - Smart founders

Cons

- Un-evolved leader who leads with hurt and fear
    - Promotions based on friendship rather than work and merit
    - Bullying and gossip on the team
    - Elitist Attitudes
    - Win-lose zero-sum team culture

Advice to Management

Advice to executive team: hold your Directors responsible for finding the potential in people. Brave leaders create a culture of belonging not exclusion.

Jan 30, 2019 – Director, Recruitment

I am shocked and saddened that you had this experience and wish we could have had this conversation while you were here. What you describe is not at all the team I am trying to build - I care deeply... More

7. "A company you WANT to work at"

I have been working at Intercom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great with great benefits like unlimited pto, daily catered lunches and a positive, techy environment. Intercom also really cares and values its employees - One of the examples is very recent; due to the poor air quality in the city last week, we got an email from our CEO encouraging us to WFH and try to get away from the smoke. In fact, the company reimbursed any one that left the smoke filled Bay Area up to $300. If that story does not tell you a thousand words then you probably shouldn’t work here. Managers try to support you and encourage career growth.

Cons

Unfortunately,there is a bit of a catch-22 with the unlimited pro policy. Sure, you CAN take it but people have a hard time acknowledging that you’re OOO and therefore start complaining about your response rate and work input.... I mean, I am Out Of Office.... no? So work like Vance needs to be worked on but they are working on it and do recognize that issue. Hey, no person or company is perfect!

Advice to Management

Work on work-life balance and continue supporting your employees - if you have their back, they will have yours!

Thank you!

Sucks you feel it's hard to take time off. I have spoken to the company many, many times about the importance of properly and actually disconnecting. There will be more we can do to... More

"Account Exectuive"

I have been working at Intercom full-time

Pros

High inbound lead flow. Customers love the product.

Cons

Low morale and high attrition.

Nov 26, 2018 – CEO

Bummed you feel this way.

Here's the data I have…

The last employee engagement survey we ran this summer gave us 80% positive, 13% neutral. All of our engagement scores over the years have... More

"Disappointing experience"

I worked at Intercom full-time

Pros

Colleagues are great
    Lunch provided daily
    Office Experience team does a great job making it a fun environment to be in
    Great products and big ambitions

Cons

I joined Intercom because I heard great things about its culture, and when I joined that was true. I was proud to work here. But over time you learn a lot about the actual values of the people you work with. I'm not ok with mistreating people and sketchiness, and I want to work for a company and team that genuinely cares about its people through both the good and the difficult times.

I would strongly encourage anyone considering joining Intercom to take a close look at the team's retention and history. In some teams (e.g. finance), everyone below director-level quit within less than a month...

Advice to Management

Please take care of your people. There's a lot of turnover across the company and it's concerning.

Nov 26, 2018 – CEO

Hey. Sending the same message to both of you given you both worked together, on the same team, left at the same time, in the same circumstances, and have the same complaints here, etc.

Ultimately... More

"Great place to learn, be burned and churn in finance org"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intercom full-time

Pros

- Colleagues are smart and great people to work with
    - Free lunch and snacks daily

Cons

I joined Intercom based on the great job opportunity and culture, however, soon thereafter noted it was not the case. Very little of the role was an actual representation of what finance responsibilities should be. You were given more projects from other teams that they did not want to work on and after a while, you convince yourself it will get better but it never does.

The full finance team has churned in a matter of a few weeks due to poor management.

Advice to Management

There has been an increased amount of turnover in the company lately out of the blue, please find a better way to manage this.

Ultimately... More