Intercom Reviews

Updated Jan 9, 2021

3.8
Intercom CEO Karen Peacock
Karen Peacock
Pros
  • "The leadership team is leaned in and committed to the success of every person at this organization(in 10 reviews)

• "Solid comp including great benefits for those with families(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance isn't amazing, but this feels self inflicted - management don't demand too much of people, everyone just wants to do their best(in 6 reviews)

• "In saying that, fast-paced nature is made very clear in the recruitment process and management are very supportive(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Career Growth, Amazing Product, Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intercom full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Intercom is an amazing place to work, the people, the product, and training are some of the best I have ever seen in my career - Intercom provides you the autonomy that you need to be successful each and every day. - The leadership team is leaned in and committed to the success of every person at this organization. The level of transparency is unlike anything I have seen in my career - Intercom provides a world-class onboarding and training experience. I have been particularly impressed because all of my on-boarding and training has been done in a remote environment due to Covid-19.

Cons

- As a fast moving organization we tend to run a little lean, I don't necessarily think this is a con, but it could be a blind spot as we continue our push up-market.

Continue reading
  2. "Great place to work & grow"

Former Employee - Product Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time

Pros

Great people, values-driven & amazing culture

Cons

Growing pains you see in a usual startup.

"Heading in a direction for failure"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The training the sales team receives really is great. - The higher up manager genuinely cares about the people in the SDR org - There is a tight sense of culture/identity

Cons

- Intercom seems to have moved into a "Finite" mindset, where they are making choices based off of immediate payoff, instead of looking into the future. - The sales team received Command of the Message training in Q1 2020, but its no longer reinforced, and no one seemed to really care. - There are a few SDR managers (not the BD manager), that just don't really seem to care about the people on their team. They seem to just care about the numbers, and they care about you "falling in line." The managers will pit the SDR's against each other to try to "out do" the others, which frankly is just toxic, and also goes against the whole "we are a team" mentality. - Allow there is a very well developed inner brand while working there, it doesn't feel like the employees are driven towards a "cause" - it doesn't feel like the work is bettering the world. It used to, but when I left there was tension everywhere and a lot of people were leaving - to go work other places that did have a more defined "cause" to fight for.

Continue reading

"No investment in talent"

Former Employee - Support Engineer

I worked at Intercom full-time

Pros

Great company and product, with some truly good people working there.

Cons

Can only speak for my org - but there’s a fundamental disconnect between leadership and employees. Rewarding low investment in the job, and mediocre performance, and making high performers happy is the name of the game here.

5. COVID-19

"Transparent, caring, open leadership and culture"

Former Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing leadership from both Eoghan and Karen. Kind, thoughtful leadership and culture. Workplace Experience team is insanely creative and amazing! Strong design leadership, mature design practice. Leaders are proactive about gathering feedback, taking action, and sharing that progress. Intercom had to relocate many SF roles to Dublin, Ireland as a cost-cutting measure during the pandemic. They let the whole company know several months in advance, so that there was time to handoff project work and also time for those being let go to look for new employment. Leadership actively supported those who were being let go by offering various help sessions regarding interviewing, networking, LinkedIn usage; telling teams to go out and interview whenever needed, even during work hours; sharing our contact info (if we opted in) with investors, friend companies, and former Intercomrades at other companies; and providing a severance package. It was the kindest, most transparent, and honest process I can imagine for letting go of a group of individuals for non-performance-related purposes. Thank you Intercom for modeling thoughtful, decisive, transparent leadership.

Cons

None. I honestly thought Intercom was an excellent place to work. The Workplace Experience team made it such a lively, close-knit place to work, and leadership was open, transparent, thoughtful, and proactive.

October 29, 2020Vice President, People

Thanks so much for this feedback, and especially for all of the contributions you made to Intercom. We’re inspired to see how you are well on your way to positive career moves. Keep in touch if there’s anything else we can do to help!

6. COVID-19

"Great Team"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked with an amazing team.

Cons

Hard to think of one, apart from covid related economy that brought about unexpected changes and eventual layoffs. Even then, leadership adapted.

October 29, 2020Vice President, People

Thank you for taking the time to write this - we really appreciate it and wish you all the best on your next step. If we can help, please let us know.

7. "Fun environment, great teammates"

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intercom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really love the people I work with and for at Intercom

Cons

As with any support position, it can be difficult at times to manage time and handle multiple customer conversations at once.

October 29, 2020Vice President, People

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us here. We’re proud of the customer support team we’ve built - they do incredible work. If you have thoughts on how to improve our processes, we’re always open to hearing them.

"Laidoff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time

Pros

Great benefits Flexible time off Great coworkers Incredible product

Cons

Politics Politics Politics Politics Politics

August 26, 2020Vice President, People

Thank you for your time at Intercom and I appreciate the feedback. We’re working hard to create a company where employees can do amazing work and build their careers. While some teams are further along than others, we are working to ensure people see a long and exciting career path for themselves at Intercom. I am very interested in learning more about your thoughts on politics, favoritism and how this impacted your experience. If you’re comfortable sharing, please reach out to me directly at chris.tobin@intercom.io.

9. COVID-19

"SF Office and Leaders awful, the rest of the offices are way better"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intercom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Before the benefits cut due to covid, there were decent benefits and perks. -Great culture in some of the offices (not SF) -Some teams work together well and work hard and make great products. You can do the best work of your career here but it might kill you

Cons

- Say one thing, often do the other - Cutting benefits even before COVID, constant cuts - Some teams and orgs are very political and lots of in-office gossip and favoritism -Tout a "work life balance" but the expectations are high and everyone is sprinting all the time so you get worn out and stop caring because the company doesn't care about you - Pretends to care about things but there's never action or resources put towards those things -Very weird silo'd culture in SF

July 16, 2020Vice President, People

Thank you for this review. I’m sorry to hear this has been your experience. I do know others have had very different experiences in SF and would love to learn more from you so I can understand this better. Please know I would be very open to responding to all of your questions in a transparent way. Let me know if you’d be open to chat and share more - I can be reached at chris.tobin@intercom.io. We can also figure out a way for you to share anonymously if you’d prefer.

10. COVID-19

"I enjoyed working here"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intercom full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Exec team is incredibly transparent (especially during the global pandemic) -Generous benefits -Competitive compensation -Fantastic employees (I met life-long friends here) -Lots of resources to promote growth such as workshops and frequent meetings with direct manager My team did have to part ways with Intercom in response to COVID-19, however, it was the right decision for the company, and I am truly grateful for all that I learned during my time working here.

Cons

Not the best career pathing options, specifically for the CS department

June 15, 2020Vice President, People

Thank you for all of your contributions while you were here, your team did AMAZING work. The decisions we’ve made recently have been extremely difficult but thank you for understanding why these decisions were made. We’ve been working on plans to provide as much assistance through this transition as possible and you should have been made aware of these. We wish you the best and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 129 English Reviews