Intermatic Reviews | Glassdoor

Douglas M. Kinney Sr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Support Team"

I have been working at Intermatic full-time

Pros

Tremendous Work life balance
    Supportive management
    Entrepreneurial leadership
    Consistent direction

Cons

Distant location makes it hard to find the coworkers we need

Advice to Management

Continue to provide an environment where people can take risks. Company needs to move faster into new technology to keep up with our competitors. Overall Intermatic is a great place to work.

2. "A good place to work."

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to advance your career. Great environment! Good work life balance.

Cons

Some lack of communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to improve and keep an open mind.

"Nice company to be an Employee at"

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Friendly Helpful Employees, Paid Holidays and Time Off, Fun Charity Events/Lunches

This has been a mostly positive experience so far. I am not sure why the negative reviews but I can understand the frustration of the past economy. However this company has definitely improved in the last 3-4 years, and looks to be a good company to stick with for the foreseeable future.
    Good product line to choose from.

Cons

Once in a while there is some lack of communication but it has tremendously improved since I have started and problems are resolved quickly.
    Very warm in the building in the dead of summer.
    Very dusty.
    No more repair facility.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! This is a good reputable company and I would like it to be around for a while!

"Company in freefall with a bleeding product offering & incompetent leadership"

I have been working at Intermatic full-time

Pros

You’re reading this review! Middle of nowhere location, bleeding product offering and internal drama makes for a bad long-term career decision. Great employees, confused leadership! A fractional sales increase is not success when the market has double digit growth.

Cons

New product is interpreted as new product to the company, not the market. Company is in turmoil and relies on a fraction of its outdated product to survive. Incompetent leadership is incapable of revitalizing the company offering and nothing changes, except for the employment status of the people reporting to them.

Advice to Management

The company is bleeding, change the leadership not the employees or sell to an organization willing to invest in competent leadership and real innovation. Changing the color or application of an existing product is not considered innovation to the marketplace.

"Good companywith opportunity to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My work experience and impression of Intermatic is very positive. I am in my 6th year at Intermatic and I enjoy the atmosphere and working environment tremendously. I joined during a difficult time as the business strategically moved away from a strong retail presence and back to its core commercial and industrial products.
    Since that change the business is doing great and the mood and atmosphere throughout the headquarters is excellent. It’s a fun place to work and although there is always a lot to do, there is not a great deal of negative stress. Also, there is a refreshing absence of office politics so I don’t need to spend energy on that which was not the case with my previous employers. The functional areas, for the most part, get along and the working environment is very positive. I feel like I have free reign to do my job and that my contributions actually mean something here.

Cons

The only negative is that the headquarters in Spring Grove is not situated in a perfect location. I personally have a bit of a drive but I believe that the extra distance is a small price to pay to work for a company where the employees matter.

Advice to Management

The Senior team is relatively new and most have joined since I arrived. They are approachable and seem to work well together so inter-functional issues are usually quickly resolved. As a result we are really picking up the pace of new product introductions. It is exciting to work for a company that is successfully launching new products and growing. It wasn’t that way when I started but it is that way now. My advice is to pick up the pace more so we can get the new products out the door.

"Struggling company with few opportunities and internal friction"

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you wish to continue your education and advance your career in presentations and spreadsheets, this is a great place to work.

Cons

All levels of management struggle making progress limited and new product development non-existent. High level management leads with an aristocratic approach leaving little room for subordinate negotiation and influence. Most quality employees have moved on into other successful careers either by force or choice.

Advice to Management

Refine the leadership and run the business as a team instead of a dictatorship. Eliminate the ability to identify the employee taking the internal survey and you will receive accurate results. Understand your organizational limitations and optimize its future around its core competencies. Don’t rely on one person or department to identify the solution, work as a team and encourage collaborative discussion with all employee levels.

Jul 7, 2015 – President/CEO

Do you really work at Intermatic? Revenues and profits have consistently been on the rise since the turnaround years of "08 and '09. Employment is growing too. Over a dozen new products have... More

"Reemerging, New team and better direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring Grove, IL

Pros

A couple years ago there was a real turnaround with new hires and a strong push towards innovating new products. Older products are still around, but there are developments into many new markets and much more updated technology. I've been able to have plenty of say in what I do, and management encourages new ideas.

Friendly environment and co-workers are all willing to help out. Practically a new company since a few years ago, so I don't think the older comments apply from what I've seen and heard.

Cons

A little stuffy on warm days...

"A dismal and depressing company culture"

Pros

You won't have to fight traffic to make it out to Intermatic, the illustrious multifaceted jewel of Spring Grove, Illinois USA.

Cons

Intermatic is a company that fully deserves its obscurity. It's fitting that they reside in a hollowed-out shell of a structure that was largely vacated when the housing bubble burst in 2008. Management is elitist, unpleasant and unprofessional who act like they're slumming it by coming into work with the "common people". In a healthier economy that provided more employment choices, most non-management positions here would never attract any applicants.

Advice to Management

Clean out the current management and give people a reason to want to come into work rather than giving them the cold dreary dead-end opportunity this place currently represents

"Great company prior to the 2008 recession, company barely survived and has gone downhill ever since."

Current Employee - Management in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at Intermatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Agree with senior management no matter how wrong or off track they are and you will do great! Keep your opinions to yourself and don’t offer a different perspective or knowledge, it will be viewed as a threat at some level in the organization. The key is to get along with everyone and you will do fine. Great stepping stone company to work for while looking for a company with a professional staff that cultivates ideas and rewards creative and innovative thinking.

Cons

Don’t get caught up in the organizational drama. Moral is very low and everyone fears for their job, because of this most are looking for other employment. The company has no direction and relies heavily on an antiquated product line to sustain its existence. Everyone is expendable without notice and if you have a disagreement with a senior level manager, you have no chance of surviving. Senior level management is a tight circle that covers each other, all other management members are casualties of their business acumen.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that work for you, they are on the front lines and know the business. Open up your inner circle and cultivate ideas and reward innovation. Base your relationship with your employees on trust and knowledge, not by popularity. Don’t change things for the sake of change, have a plan with real tangible objectives and execute professionally.

Nov 4, 2014 – President/CEO

“I am the CEO of Intermatic and I don’t believe that the opinion represented accurately reflects the culture in place at the company. Comments about low morale and job dissatisfaction simply aren’t... More

"Some Good People, but bad place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing in Spring Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Spring Grove, IL

I worked at Intermatic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's so understaffed that by force you learn how to do lots of jobs.

Cons

Management is an old boys club
    Policies do not apply to everyone
    No appreciation for hard work
    They actually let 30% of the company go by stacking whit boxes in the corners of the rooms and then randomly calling people in to fire them.

Advice to Management

Get new blood in for upper management

Sep 23, 2014 – Vp hr

Company has reinvented itself as necessary to survive 120 years. Current VPs of Engineering and Marketing are female. Layoffs in 2008-2009 were necessary to keep the company operating. It was... More