Intermix Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Intermix President and General Manager Jyothi Rao
Jyothi Rao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay was good, good discount on clothes" (in 7 reviews)

• "fun environment, young employees, good discounts, great clothes" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management DOES NOT care about those working in the field, and when they pretend they do, it's just for a photo op" (in 12 reviews)

• "Expected to work long hours with little or no gratitude or compensation" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Stylist"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Great fun work environment, amazing co-workers, day goes by very quickly since your always busy or doing something. Great opportunity to make extra money from commission plus amazing discount

Cons

Can get so messy sometimes

"Great Company, Culture Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Floor Coordinator
    Current Employee - Floor Coordinator

I have been working at Intermix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing exposure to contemporary and established fashion brands. Get to work with interesting clientele if you're based in a metropolitan area, and you really learn the ins and outs of true styling. I learned many creative skills here. Commission structure is great, good hourly pay/salary, fantastic benefits, and BEAUTIFUL product. If you like you're coworkers, it can be a really fun and exciting place to work, and a great place to begin a career in fashion and styling. An impressive name on your resume. Great way to build a network and meet influencers, publishers, and designers. Overall good experience.

Cons

I understand what the company is going for with their culture but they are not quite there yet. Upper management DOES NOT care about those working in the field, and when they pretend they do, it's just for a photo op... we are the people that make business happen. Store leaders ARE NOT given the proper tools to train and strategize, and they arent trained well themselves, which isn't their fault. This leads to a domino effect of negative energy, unnecessary stress and shifted blame. Corporate individuals can really suck the life out of the room too. Not all, but 80% of them. Nasty, uninspired and elitist attitude, and I'm quite frankly not even sure how they were qualified for these jobs. They pretend to care about your ideas and your passion on paper, but all they do is ignore and stifle anybody who expresses interest in moving up with the company or anybody who wants to learn and grow. They are SHAMELESSLY rude and condescending to retail level workers. There are no incentives for anyone with talent or passion or anyone who wants to grow with the company. They make no effort to keep you around or train you. Probably why the employee turnover is so high.

Advice to Management

Get to know us and get to know your demographics!!! Listen to our ideas. We know your customer better than you do. Stop placing such an emphasis on $$$ and stop turning people into dollar signs. Customers can smell that. Train your management correctly and give your associates the proper tools and positive energy to TRULY style clients. Corporate people; get to know the field workers. Drop the stuffy attitude when you come visit. It's not inspiring or fun to be around, and we don't find it intimidating.

3. "Finance Department"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Enthusiastic team, supported by the Gap, exciting area in retail

Cons

Competitive retail environment, can be long hours.

4. "Intermix Floor Coordinator New York"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Quarterly company sponsored training with lead designer brands (sometimes results in free swag)
    Great discount
    Learn a lot about fashion and styling
    Friendly and welcoming team

Cons

Highly competitive for new employees
    Can be difficult to move up

Intermix Response

Aug 30, 2018 – Company Representative

We love hearing experiences like this! We believe in teaching our employees skills they can use to be successful at Gap Inc. and beyond. Thanks for recommending us as an employer.

"Inventory Operations"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Got to work alone most of the time. Bought by Gap Inc a number of years ago so the benefits are better now.

Cons

Coworkers don't care about accurate inventory or about being gentle with the product so that we don't have to damage out a $400.00 sweater. They just want their commission check. Snarky commission based environment.

"Start your career here!"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Intermix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intermix is a fun environment, with many great leaders to guide you on your career path. Cross training in different areas with in the store experience DOR training will get you on a fast track for advancement.

Big exposure to multi brand vendors for both established and new designers. Definitely a place to build your network and client books.

Exciting new product comes in weekly . A talented creative team keeps everyone inspired and the window styling is on point!

Intermix and Gap Inc is an inclusive company. They embrace diversity, really care about their employees, and provide many support for personal needs. I have only good things to say about my tenure at Intermix.

Cons

Career growth from the field to HQ is not easy. So don’t expect to come into the store as a sales associate and become a buyer.

Advancement can take time, be serious and patient. Those employees that put in the time and effort will see the benefits.

Employee discount and designer exclusions could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep your ears to the ground. The employees in the field have some excellent feedback and ideas for evolution and improvements to the ever changing retail climate, job market, and client experience.

7. "Good For Students"

Pros

- Fun work environment

Cons

- You work harder than the sales associates and get treated with a lot less respect

Advice to Management

- Assistants should get paid more

"Awful upper management - wannabe “corporate”"

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits. Really not much more I can say, if they have better upper management would be great

Cons

Everything else is a con , awful upper management, they do not even call references and hire disgusting people. If you want constant drama then work here

Advice to Management

Clear house

9. "Engaging work and room to grow"

I have been working at Intermix full-time

Pros

Great pay for retail
    Engaging work
    A lot of room to grow within the company
    Lean teams, you can take on a lot of responsibility

Cons

Not the most organized office

10. "Good Opportunities and Room to Grow"

I worked at Intermix part-time

Pros

Their commission system is amazing--it really allows you to make more $ by working hard. Salary raises and promotions come often if you're making a lot of sales.

Cons

There is a lot of competition between stylists.