Intermix Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Intermix President and General Manager Jyothi Rao
Jyothi Rao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay was good, good discount on clothes" (in 7 reviews)

• "Fun Environment and cool clothes" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Moronic upper management with corrupt ideals" (in 12 reviews)

• "Expected to work long hours with little or no gratitude or compensation" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Start your career here!"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Intermix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intermix is a fun environment, with many great leaders to guide you on your career path. Cross training in different areas with in the store experience DOR training will get you on a fast track for advancement.

Big exposure to multi brand vendors for both established and new designers. Definitely a place to build your network and client books.

Exciting new product comes in weekly . A talented creative team keeps everyone inspired and the window styling is on point!

Intermix and Gap Inc is an inclusive company. They embrace diversity, really care about their employees, and provide many support for personal needs. I have only good things to say about my tenure at Intermix.

Cons

Career growth from the field to HQ is not easy. So don’t expect to come into the store as a sales associate and become a buyer.

Advancement can take time, be serious and patient. Those employees that put in the time and effort will see the benefits.

Employee discount and designer exclusions could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep your ears to the ground. The employees in the field have some excellent feedback and ideas for evolution and improvements to the ever changing retail climate, job market, and client experience.

2. "Sales Assistant"

I worked at Intermix part-time

Pros

Effective, collaborative, innovative, positive, goal-oriented

Cons

Hectic, busy, stressful, disorganized, loud

3. "Floor cordinator"

I have been working at Intermix full-time

Pros

Discount on clothing .. though I dont make enough money to afford the clothes

Cons

- No raise/No movement in position title: I have worked for this company for over two years and have only received a 10 cent raise once... They need to pay their employees better. As a key holder its harder to make the commission tiers and it should be lower tiered for certain stores... my commission checks are weak. I am struggling to survive financially with this commission structure and hourly pay.

-Buying team: The buys have gotten very weak, customers come in looking for designer items and get disappointed my private label Intermix stuff... If you are not at a Flag store and you work at a core or premier customers often prefer to go to a Flag for better choices. There is so many other places to shop these days it makes it hard to stand out and Intermix tries to hard that their clothing is not easy to sell. Go on Forward by Elysse Walker ... this is how Intermix should be buying product.

-Tech: There always seems to be an issue with our cash registers and our systems are so slow customers make remarks on how they have seen other Intermix stores struggle with the POS system.

-Dont cut to much costs! We need cleaners.

-Clothing allowance: why does the manager of the store only get a gift card to buy products? all store employees should get this. And we should be given clothing allowance.

Advice to Management

give more of a raise for loyal employees, stop making so much private label, watch your competition closely and buy accordingly... Customers want cute wearable pieces not strange pieces... look at forward by Elysee Walker for inspiration. Make the commission tiers more fair.

4. "Stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at Intermix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, good designers and clothes to style with clients and to shop for your own use

Cons

Management, negative sorority feel, commission structure

Advice to Management

Be open minded to other people instead of being stuck up

5. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Intermix (More than a year)

Pros

Tough selling environment but great money if you work hard and clientele.

Cons

Can be a tough environmen in terms of being competitive.

"Great Company, Culture Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Floor Coordinator
    Current Employee - Floor Coordinator

I have been working at Intermix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing exposure to contemporary and established fashion brands. Get to work with interesting clientele if you're based in a metropolitan area, and you really learn the ins and outs of true styling. I learned many creative skills here. Commission structure is great, good hourly pay/salary, fantastic benefits, and BEAUTIFUL product. If you like you're coworkers, it can be a really fun and exciting place to work, and a great place to begin a career in fashion and styling. An impressive name on your resume. Great way to build a network and meet influencers, publishers, and designers. Overall good experience.

Cons

I understand what the company is going for with their culture but they are not quite there yet. Upper management DOES NOT care about those working in the field, and when they pretend they do, it's just for a photo op... we are the people that make business happen. Store leaders ARE NOT given the proper tools to train and strategize, and they arent trained well themselves, which isn't their fault. This leads to a domino effect of negative energy, unnecessary stress and shifted blame. Corporate individuals can really suck the life out of the room too. Not all, but 80% of them. Nasty, uninspired and elitist attitude, and I'm quite frankly not even sure how they were qualified for these jobs. They pretend to care about your ideas and your passion on paper, but all they do is ignore and stifle anybody who expresses interest in moving up with the company or anybody who wants to learn and grow. They are SHAMELESSLY rude and condescending to retail level workers. There are no incentives for anyone with talent or passion or anyone who wants to grow with the company. They make no effort to keep you around or train you. Probably why the employee turnover is so high.

Advice to Management

Get to know us and get to know your demographics!!! Listen to our ideas. We know your customer better than you do. Stop placing such an emphasis on $$$ and stop turning people into dollar signs. Customers can smell that. Train your management correctly and give your associates the proper tools and positive energy to TRULY style clients. Corporate people; get to know the field workers. Drop the stuffy attitude when you come visit. It's not inspiring or fun to be around, and we don't find it intimidating.

Intermix Response

Oct 8, 2018 – Company Representative

We’re happy to hear of the skills you have acquired on our team! We believe in the value of teaching valuable professional skills that our employees can use to succeed on our team and throughout... More

7. "Finance Department"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Enthusiastic team, supported by the Gap, exciting area in retail

Cons

Competitive retail environment, can be long hours.

8. "Intermix Floor Coordinator New York"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Quarterly company sponsored training with lead designer brands (sometimes results in free swag)
    Great discount
    Learn a lot about fashion and styling
    Friendly and welcoming team

Cons

Highly competitive for new employees
    Can be difficult to move up

Intermix Response

Aug 30, 2018 – Company Representative

We love hearing experiences like this! We believe in teaching our employees skills they can use to be successful at Gap Inc. and beyond. Thanks for recommending us as an employer.

"Inventory Operations"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Got to work alone most of the time. Bought by Gap Inc a number of years ago so the benefits are better now.

Cons

Coworkers don't care about accurate inventory or about being gentle with the product so that we don't have to damage out a $400.00 sweater. They just want their commission check. Snarky commission based environment.

10. "Stylist"

I worked at Intermix full-time

Pros

Great fun work environment, amazing co-workers, day goes by very quickly since your always busy or doing something. Great opportunity to make extra money from commission plus amazing discount

Cons

Can get so messy sometimes