Interstate Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Travis Penrod

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Interstate Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom, great coworkers and management, stable and plenty of growth opportunity. Strong relationship building ability with clients and employees and a company that seems to truly care for and value their employees.

Cons

Long term growth curve, rapid growth more difficult than in some other industries. Also not a lot of incentive driven performance metrics which can be a bit disappointing with good performance.

Advice to Management

Update pay and incentive programs to make stronger performance more highly recognized and rewarded. I think there could be great improvement in many areas of the company if all employees had opportunities to benefit/attain bonuses based on specific performance criteria.

"application development technical specialist"

Current Employee - Applications Development Technical Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Interstate Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to be a part of this company

Cons

Not any that I can think of now

"Carol Stream is a sinking ship and middle management is to blame"

Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Interstate Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union, Paid benefits, 401K. Paid Holidays

Cons

Leadership is missing. Bunch of children in middle management.

Advice to Management

Clean House!!!!!

"CAROL STREAM BRANCH (Inland Power Group)"

Former Employee - Generator Field Service in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Generator Field Service in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was really good but the workers there were always fun to be around and still have plenty of good stories from working with old friends.

Cons

This section is quite a bit longer and relates mainly to branch specific issues seeing as though I was let go just before the Interstate takeover back when it was still Inland Power Group. This was my first job as a field service tech. DEFINITELY not the place to learn as a beginner. Don't get me wrong, my fellow coworkers taught me a lot but let me explain.... I trained with Ford Motor Company and Cummins Power Generation where manuals were readily available and troubleshooting had a structured flow to ensure proper diagnosis of problems. Management clearly told me "you're a generator tech, not an engine tech...we have another group of guys for that". Ok great. They will send you to work on a unit that has engine issues and if you can't figure it out you become an annoyance. Never once seen manuals pertaining to the generators we worked on unless customers kept theirs. If you're not an engine tech then forget about any sort of engine software to help with troubleshooting. You'll constantly have your hours questioned as if you're up to no good. My first year at Inland I had zero write ups and work was good. Then the current manager was fired and the new manager didn't have a clue about anything. Every day I was questioned about my jobs, given less and less work and constantly harassed. Even simple tasks such as taking a van to get its oil changed were questioned. The foreman was just a senior tech that had an incredibly brown nose. Logistics and job planning is a nightmare turning week long jobs into month long jobs. Management and others were repeatedly overheard talking about other workers in a demeaning manner. Basically if you can't fend for yourself you will gladly be set up for failure. I could go on forever but I'll leave you with this. I dreaded going to work everyday after my first year and absolutely hated each and every single day under my 2nd manager.

Advice to Management

Its apparent from only 2 years of working for Inland that management has their own little clique. They consider it annoying the moment an employee asks for help in any way. Everything is about business and no one has a fun bone in their body. You need to relate to your employees and have an understanding of what they do when they're working in the field. This may just give you a better understanding of the challenges they face. By the way, we're not your disgruntled children and shouldn't be treated as such.

"Field Service"

Current Employee - Field Service in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Field Service in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Interstate Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a job and the checks clear. Other than that there is very little to say that is good. As long as the union stays intact there is some hope. However, doom is impending with the new contract comming due later in the year.

Cons

The company is too big and expanding to fast. The recent aquisition of Inland Power Group is just another feather in hat of the CEO. So far all we have seen is lies, broken promises, the promotions of incompetent brown nosers, and customers fleeing in droves. Work is scarce and the toxic work environment that has been created has everyone spending more time watching their back and the antics of all the rats trying to save their own skin.

Advice to Management

You cleaned house of the tallented people that made Inland great. Once you break the union you will have nothing because your tallented techs will also leave. Good luck running a company on scabs.

6. "Great place to work, great environment"

Former Employee - Job in Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Job in Williston, ND

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managements willingness to train employees, advancement are rewarded with work ethic

Cons

Benefits are their but not great - housing for some, but selective on who gets housing

Advice to Management

Find a better benefits package for your employees

"Good Company - Bad Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Interesting Industry, Enjoyed learning about the industry and how it works. Many of the long time employees really know how this business works and how it can become better. They are always willing to share about their needs and vision. I really enjoyed my time working with them to learn the business. It's easy to see who invested their time and energy to build this business over the past 50 years.

Cons

Younger management in some positions are clueless and can't comprehend how to make this business work better. Technology investment is too low to be competitive and grow the business. Benefits and accommodations at the corporate office are adequate, but not great. The office environment is not cohesive or collaborative, there seems to be little if any career path capability or development path to make a career out of a job at this company.

Advice to Management

There seems to be no cohesive vision between long term managers (who know how to run the business) and the younger managers who hold the keys to make process and technology changes. While this company is successful, they a lacking in current technology that many of the their competitors are using to be more competitive and grow. They need to make better strategic investments in new technology to connect to their customers and stay relevant. Unload the dead weight in management and hire managers who want to be invested in the company and make it a career. Hire managers who understand what their staff do. In doing so, these managers will engage their staff and ideas for advancing and making the company more efficient and competitive will come out of this open and collaborative environment. This in turn will enable the company to make strategic investments that make the company grow. Currently, many staff members do/will not share because the environment is non-welcoming and non-collaborative, to many their job is a paycheck and not a career.

"Things to consider before you apply at I-State Truck center"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Blaine, MN

Pros

They are willing to train you and give you the tools for you to keep yourself current on product knowledge. The Techs are knowledgeable and good guys to know. they are willing to be flexible with work schedules.

Cons

Since they broke the Union at the shop they will not give any wage increases. The company will not buy all the needed tooling to do the jobs correctly or safely. IE: we do not have any working floor jacks or a properly ventilated shop. This company is not about taking care of its employees its about taking care of management and their own pockets. They also push times to the point that if you do not achieve the allotted time they gave you you are written up. The times are based off of warranty time a rarely do they take real life look at the job to bid it correctly. On top of it most of us here at the shop are not getting our 40hrs. They bring you in just to send you home right away.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees that is who makes the company go day to day. Management is there just to help guide it along not cut down the employees. Don't micro manage and you need to realize there is a difference between the engine side of the industry and the total repair side of things. The percentages presented are are majority of the time unrealistic and that has several factor the warranty times are skewed and majority of the people doing the job bidding have no hands on experience which causes them to under bid jobs a lot of the time

9. "Branch Manager"

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time

Pros

Great upper management team and way above average pay. Benefits are second to none with a fantastic 401k match and health insurance that is a Mercedes plan with a Kia price. Generous vacation allowance- 5 weeks after only 2 years.

Cons

No real cons to speak of except they may be getting too big too fast.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. If I hadn't found another opportunity that couldn't be passed up I would have been with them until retirement.

10. "Labor"

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros working for this company

Cons

Horrible pay and terrible hours