Interstate Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Interstate Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom, great coworkers and management, stable and plenty of growth opportunity. Strong relationship building ability with clients and employees and a company that seems to truly care for and value their employees.

Cons

Long term growth curve, rapid growth more difficult than in some other industries. Also not a lot of incentive driven performance metrics which can be a bit disappointing with good performance.

Advice to Management

Update pay and incentive programs to make stronger performance more highly recognized and rewarded. I think there could be great improvement in many areas of the company if all employees had opportunities to benefit/attain bonuses based on specific performance criteria.

2. "Great or awful, depends on your job and department here"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Lakeville, MN
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Lakeville, MN

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally friendly, helpful co-workers. Beautiful new building in Lakeville. Pay and benefits not too bad, as long as you don't need health insurance for spouse or dependents. Pretty laid-back office and warehouse atmosphere, though a bit on the stuffy, corporate side.

Cons

Unless you are in a sales position or in management, there's no greater definition of a dead-end job than working here. The company's bread and butter is sales and service for Allison Transmissions, Detroit Diesel and MTU engines, and Carrier reefer units for trucks. If your job doesn't involve one of those product lines, you aren't advancing at all here. Definite dividing lines between salespeople, managers, and everyone else. Shop guys are union and that's a whole other department. Get as much pay as you can before getting hired, because that's all you'll ever get. Performance reviews? What are those? A raise? Ha, ha, ha. HR here, like at many companies, is useless. Payroll and benefits are self-service online, so I don't know what the HR people do all day. They send out an 'employee engagement' survey each year, but the results are not shared with the employees. Makes one wonder how badly the company is reviewed. Also, their main location is in far south Lakeville, If in the Twin Cities and you don't live in the southern suburbs, you will face a brutal commute to this location.

Advice to Management

Communicate more, a 'state of the union' meeting annually or 2x a year to let everyone know how the company is doing, and plans for the future. Make employees feel valued more. Again, there is a career-growth track at this company (sales, management, and techs) and a dead-end track (office staff, warehouse, folks who just come in, do their 8 hours and go home). Annual reviews and performance expectations might do wonders in retaining employees. Most there don't give a damn, because they feel management doesn't care, either.

3. "Carol Stream: Horrible Place. Don't Do It. Look Elsewhere."

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time

Pros

The Inland employees that are left.

Cons

No "REAL" Leadership and Management from the TOP Down. Truck Shop needs help and the generator department needs even more. No Traction. No Direction. Multiple Cliques. Place is full of drama and deceit. No Trust in Most. Interstate ruined a good company. There's a reason why their rating is so low and why so many people have left. My advise, only take a job here if you are completely desperate to feed your family. Use Interstate as a springboard to bigger and way better things. This company and branch isn't worth 1 star.

Advice to Management

Get it right. You've been trying since the buyout and just can't get it. Get people in there that don't have agendas, but are willing to work for the good of the company and not THEMSELVES.

"Labor"

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros working for this company

Cons

Horrible pay and terrible hours

"Carol Stream is a sinking ship and middle management is to blame"

Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Interstate Companies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union, Paid benefits, 401K. Paid Holidays

Cons

Leadership is missing. Bunch of children in middle management.

Advice to Management

Clean House!!!!!

"application development technical specialist"

Current Employee - Applications Development Technical Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Interstate Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to be a part of this company

Cons

Not any that I can think of now

"CAROL STREAM BRANCH (Inland Power Group)"

Former Employee - Generator Field Service in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Generator Field Service in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was really good but the workers there were always fun to be around and still have plenty of good stories from working with old friends.

Cons

This section is quite a bit longer and relates mainly to branch specific issues seeing as though I was let go just before the Interstate takeover back when it was still Inland Power Group. This was my first job as a field service tech. DEFINITELY not the place to learn as a beginner. Don't get me wrong, my fellow coworkers taught me a lot but let me explain.... I trained with Ford Motor Company and Cummins Power Generation where manuals were readily available and troubleshooting had a structured flow to ensure proper diagnosis of problems. Management clearly told me "you're a generator tech, not an engine tech...we have another group of guys for that". Ok great. They will send you to work on a unit that has engine issues and if you can't figure it out you become an annoyance. Never once seen manuals pertaining to the generators we worked on unless customers kept theirs. If you're not an engine tech then forget about any sort of engine software to help with troubleshooting. You'll constantly have your hours questioned as if you're up to no good. My first year at Inland I had zero write ups and work was good. Then the current manager was fired and the new manager didn't have a clue about anything. Every day I was questioned about my jobs, given less and less work and constantly harassed. Even simple tasks such as taking a van to get its oil changed were questioned. The foreman was just a senior tech that had an incredibly brown nose. Logistics and job planning is a nightmare turning week long jobs into month long jobs. Management and others were repeatedly overheard talking about other workers in a demeaning manner. Basically if you can't fend for yourself you will gladly be set up for failure. I could go on forever but I'll leave you with this. I dreaded going to work everyday after my first year and absolutely hated each and every single day under my 2nd manager.

Advice to Management

Its apparent from only 2 years of working for Inland that management has their own little clique. They consider it annoying the moment an employee asks for help in any way. Everything is about business and no one has a fun bone in their body. You need to relate to your employees and have an understanding of what they do when they're working in the field. This may just give you a better understanding of the challenges they face. By the way, we're not your disgruntled children and shouldn't be treated as such.

"Don't Leave a Good Job for This Place"

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time

Pros

In business for over 50 years. Many good people are employed here.

Cons

Unfortunately, upper management is not engaged in helping to make others successful. They really only care about the bottom line number. I have never worked for a company that appears to be so financially strapped that on the first day of the month, the pressure is on to close WIP. Banks seem to run this company, not people. If you pole anyone here who is buying insurance through this company, the comments are the same....the insurance provides such minimal value to its employees that it shows the lack of concern about the wellbeing of their people. Expect to pay about a $1000 per month for a small family. Don't work here if you need good insurance as the deductibles are high, the cost is over double the price at other companies and management has admitted it needs to be improved. People from all over there organization seem to be overworked and underpaid (not a cliche-its really happening here), the turnover is tremendous here and so many good people have left this company because of the lack of support, pay, benefits (401K is actually worse than the insurance). I believe they do not put any cost on turnover, but it adds so much more work to those that stay, and then the moral continues to go down. HR, IT, Admin, Middle Management, technicians seem to turnover more than others. I don't understand how upper management doesn't step in and try to solve this problem, its the only way you are going to keep the customers you have. In the future, it will be critical to the success of this company to attract and retain great people to support the customers. I feel bad for those that actually worked for a company that they bought out as I don't believe they had a good plan to start and the cards seem to be starting to fall piece by piece. I would not want to be an employee for a company they buy next. I think it might be their strategy going forward as it may be the only way they can grow. Hopefully they will learn something from the downward spiral of the last company they bought in 2015. I feel that the people that left wanted to help Interstate to be successful, but upper management didn't seem to care enough to help ensure that the new employees were not alienated.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the "elders" in the company and encourage the golden rule of business- If you take care of your employees they will take care of your customers and then you will make money. If you don't take care of your employees, they won't care enough about the company to take care of your customers and you won't make money. That's how I believe Interstate became a great company, but that culture is gone as the 30 and 40 year workers are retiring and you can't seem to keep good people happy. Right now, your employees are not secure in there position,their company, or their future and they are spending more and more time looking for another job than they are figuring out how to improve the customer experience. I am not a disgruntled employee and I have met some really great people within Interstate, but I am concerned for the welfare of those that remain and I also feel those that are considering a career at Interstate, It would be helpful to have an honest opinion from someone who has over 30 year of experience in the industry and 20 within this company.

"Field Service"

Current Employee - Field Service in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Field Service in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Interstate Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a job and the checks clear. Other than that there is very little to say that is good. As long as the union stays intact there is some hope. However, doom is impending with the new contract comming due later in the year.

Cons

The company is too big and expanding to fast. The recent aquisition of Inland Power Group is just another feather in hat of the CEO. So far all we have seen is lies, broken promises, the promotions of incompetent brown nosers, and customers fleeing in droves. Work is scarce and the toxic work environment that has been created has everyone spending more time watching their back and the antics of all the rats trying to save their own skin.

Advice to Management

You cleaned house of the tallented people that made Inland great. Once you break the union you will have nothing because your tallented techs will also leave. Good luck running a company on scabs.

10. "Branch Manager"

I worked at Interstate Companies full-time

Pros

Great upper management team and way above average pay. Benefits are second to none with a fantastic 401k match and health insurance that is a Mercedes plan with a Kia price. Generous vacation allowance- 5 weeks after only 2 years.

Cons

No real cons to speak of except they may be getting too big too fast.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. If I hadn't found another opportunity that couldn't be passed up I would have been with them until retirement.