Invincea Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anup Ghosh

"model startup + dynamic research lab"

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is divided into a government funded research organization and a venture backed security products organization and reflects that rare, fruitful fusion of research and practice. The leadership reflects this balance as well -- the CEO came out of DARPA's entrepreneurial R&D culture and has since distinguished himself as a business leader. On the research side the company manages to compete effectively for work at DARPA and other agencies and then transition successful research concepts into features implemented within Invincea's security products. On the commercial side the company has a unique product positioned to take off in the market and a remarkable level of competence and team cohesion. Management truly cares about fostering a vibrant company culture and it shows in the range of extracurricular events the company offers (from paintball to bowling to company trips to baseball games).

Cons

There aren't big downsides to working at Invincea at the moment. To work here you have to be prepared to put in long hours during crunch time, but as far as startups go the work life balance is not bad.

Advice to Management

There are probably more opportunities to fuse the research coming out of the research organization with the commercial products, when possible work on creating a structure for technical exchange between the two business units so that such opportunities surface in a timely manner.

2. "TOO SOON!"

Current Employee - Operations in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Operations in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After reading some of the negative reviews, I couldn't help but put a review up myself.

Invincea is a family. Simple as that- we are a start up family. Like family we argue, complain, yell, ignore.and also support each-other, complement each-other, help one another, care, and grow.

This is a company that changes when it hears the negativity. 3rd floor country club? No more...the C-Level heard the complaint and moved to integrate. Because when you actually communicate, things happen. Our C-level (CEO, COO, CFO) all sat in the SAME OFFICE....with the door ALWAYS open. Its a shame the communication had to come through a negative review on glassdoor, vice just walking into an office and communicating. The result would have been the same.

Are there complaints? Heck yeah there are, but looking around the office I see people in jeans and tshirts, laughing, joking, and setting up games for later. I see excitement over our new product launch, and new employees that are being embraced into the family.

I see a C-Level that tells its management team to put its PEOPLE first and not Revenue! A company that actually has the ENTIRE office take the day off for a team building offsite! Even though we are under the gun for product release in 3 weeks!

I see a company that will be successful....SO SUCCESSFUL... a company that will define what security is supposed to be. And if anyone thinks it was easy getting to this point, or will be easy staying on top, then you're naive.

Cons

People complain too much about things that are part of being in a start up! The good news is most of those people have left!

Start ups are challenging, hard, tiring, and grueling at times. It takes a special person to enjoy the good times, and FIGHT through the hard bad times. Special people that define success and create success from negativity. Unfortunately, some people dont have what it takes; and thats okay; they belong in a different environment. You always have that 10% who blame everything else but themselves- .who have more excuses than reasons to succeed. We dont want you; we dont need you; move over and let someone deserving, willing, and valuable to step in.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving....just like the company. You've showed how much you care for your organization, and it's been seen. Your employees are what makes Invincea. We lovingly call ourselves Invinceans. We are family. We have bad times, and good times......ts just part of the recipe for success.

Those that have left; they left too soon!

"challenging problems, SV start-up culture on East Coast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

-fun/intense work enviromnent
    -Incredibly smart people
    -Mgmt stays out of way, but supports when needed
    -Rapid growth means lots of new career opportunities
    -day-to-day perks: open/fully stocked kitchen; comp'd happy hours/events
    -theyre cool about working from home when needed

Cons

-lots to do & everyone has a ton of responsibility
    -Several recent huge deals have put strain on certain areas of dev
    -need more private whiteboard space

Advice to Management

-dev team is growing too fast for the current office space. Expanding current office or opening new -office should be priority

"Has been"

Current Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can wear what you want. In a place that used to have all pros; well that has been ruined by our fearless leaders who couldn't tell you the first thing about our real culture, or anything about anyone on the 4th floor.

Cons

A previous negative review got everyone's attention. It was spot on too. I really couldn't disagree with anything about it. What prompted me to write this was the reaction of our country club leadership. They didn't address the real issue, but instead had a threatening response. They refuse to take a look at how they can fix it. That's the real problem right? Is being aware of the issues, but refusing to take a look at themselves and see that they give no props to anyone. They only care about themselves. They ruined our culture, made this not a fun place, and treat us all (especially after the first negative review) as replaceable. They could fix this if they tried, but I don't think they really care.

Let's not even get into the zero chance for advancement and horrid pay, or the fact that our value as a company is slipping fast.

Advice to Management

You aren't leaders of a multi billion dollar company. You are leaders of a start up, start treating it like its a start up. You aren't more important than us up stairs. Start ups are supposed to be families. Not what you've turned this into. Stop ruining what people used to love

"Great people, great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest asset this company has is its people. The people at Invincea establish a culture of innovation, collaboration, and customer focus. And this may sound crazy, but we actually like hanging out with each other. This includes the accounting group hanging out with developers. Crazy, I know!

Cons

There are two great companies embedded in one-- the Product company and the Labs group. These two groups are separated by 10 miles of distance. Would be awesome if they spent more time together. The synergies for when we get together are incredible.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company. Demand is out-stripping resources. Oh, and more happy hours. :)

"Great Place to Work, Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work
    Fun company culture
    Our software is serving a real need and doing something useful
    Plenty of opportunity for learning new skills and solving interesting problems
    The company itself has a lot of potential and is growing like crazy
    Location is great
    No "sick to my stomach" feeling on Sunday night

Cons

Can sometimes require long hours
    The building we are currently in is not well managed

"Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

Pros

No stupid people, fairly liberal with the vacation scheduling, a very collaborative environment.

Cons

Sometimes things move a touch too fast, i.e. doing before planning, but I guess it's ok for a startup.

Advice to Management

More process in place, more accountability.

"Innovative Product, Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Never boring, plenty of stimulating work. Smaller start-up company making a big name for ourselves. Close-knit employee culture, regular positive interaction with Management and Executives. Rewarding and very team-oriented workplace. This company is overflowing with talented employees and is an amazing place to work. A lot of autonomy and work schedule flexibility as well.

Cons

Can't think of any cons

10. "A company for the Y2K generation"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is good flexibility with work schedule, and work from home is welcomed as long as productivity is preserved. The company does many activities to encourage team building such as ski trips, volunteering work and happy hours. Managers maintain a balance between being relaxed and enforcing discipline and standards. Colleagues are very professional and knowledgeable, always keen to help or point to a source of information. A small company environment leads to everyone's contribution almost immediately visible. From the managing directors' new product idea, to product manager's tangible product design and finally to the engineering team's implementation, everyone can one's fruit of labour.

Cons

A small of company means there's less resources for training so one must be able to adopt quickly and constantly learn things on one's own to stay relevant in a dynamic environment.

Advice to Management

More happy hour events is always welcomed.

11. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Love working with smart people in a progressive, forward-thinking culture. Everyone here works hard and believes in Invincea's products. Innovation is encouraged, and all departments work together toward a common goal.

Cons

No negatives. Great place to work.