Invincea Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Anup Ghosh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Smart and reliable staff"

Pros

I enjoy working with smart and friendly coworkers everyday

Cons

A bit more transparency would be beneficial to all employees.

2. "Screwed employees in the end"

I worked at Invincea (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology and that's about it

Cons

Poor leadership, poor direction, slow to respond to the market

"Sales"

Pros

Hot industry, cool technology, and smart people. A solid work-life balance. Competitive pay. Opportunity to grow and learn because of the lean sales people.

Cons

Constant product development delays hurt the sales team from top to bottom. Felt sometimes that competition just barely beat us out but by then it was too late.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and realize that your people are your greatest assets. Stick true to what brought you success.

4. "Solid Company"

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, amazing technology, an innovation labs second to none, fun culture, bright future

Cons

Need more marketing and a CMO

"A success in the making"

Pros

Invincea is a great place to work...simple as that. Management is working hard to keep us challenged, productive and happy.

There have been issues in the past but all seem to be solved.

1) the under-performing sales team is gone, replaced with a new group who are doing much better.
    2) new investments in marketing will change the company.
    3) sour old employees, mostly old sales team, are gone.

This company is on its way to success. The latest product release is a game changer in the security industry. It seemed impossible to get it done but we did. Hats off to middle and upper management who lead the development and got a lot right. Hats off to the C's who put a focus on Marketing and created a great product launch.

The company has a startup culture. The people at Invincea are very nice to work with. Everyone is friendly, open and focused on getting things done. Free drinks and snacks, game room, drinks flow after hours, and there are happy hours and company events every month or more.

Cons

Minor things. There never seems to be a good time to take vacation. We are running out of space for people to sit. Some people don't respect the open/shared office space and it is distracting sometimes. Main office is in the suburbs.

Advice to Management

We don't ever seem to be able to hire enough people. The company needs a large investment to bring on more people and invest on marketing. Don't ignore the container. It is great security and a big asset to the company.

6. "TOO SOON!"

Current Employee - Operations in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Operations in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After reading some of the negative reviews, I couldn't help but put a review up myself.

Invincea is a family. Simple as that- we are a start up family. Like family we argue, complain, yell, ignore.and also support each-other, complement each-other, help one another, care, and grow.

This is a company that changes when it hears the negativity. 3rd floor country club? No more...the C-Level heard the complaint and moved to integrate. Because when you actually communicate, things happen. Our C-level (CEO, COO, CFO) all sat in the SAME OFFICE....with the door ALWAYS open. Its a shame the communication had to come through a negative review on glassdoor, vice just walking into an office and communicating. The result would have been the same.

Are there complaints? Heck yeah there are, but looking around the office I see people in jeans and tshirts, laughing, joking, and setting up games for later. I see excitement over our new product launch, and new employees that are being embraced into the family.

I see a C-Level that tells its management team to put its PEOPLE first and not Revenue! A company that actually has the ENTIRE office take the day off for a team building offsite! Even though we are under the gun for product release in 3 weeks!

I see a company that will be successful....SO SUCCESSFUL... a company that will define what security is supposed to be. And if anyone thinks it was easy getting to this point, or will be easy staying on top, then you're naive.

Cons

People complain too much about things that are part of being in a start up! The good news is most of those people have left!

Start ups are challenging, hard, tiring, and grueling at times. It takes a special person to enjoy the good times, and FIGHT through the hard bad times. Special people that define success and create success from negativity. Unfortunately, some people dont have what it takes; and thats okay; they belong in a different environment. You always have that 10% who blame everything else but themselves- .who have more excuses than reasons to succeed. We dont want you; we dont need you; move over and let someone deserving, willing, and valuable to step in.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving....just like the company. You've showed how much you care for your organization, and it's been seen. Your employees are what makes Invincea. We lovingly call ourselves Invinceans. We are family. We have bad times, and good times......ts just part of the recipe for success.

Those that have left; they left too soon!

"Join if you can"

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Invincea has done well in hiring quality engineers. It is nice working a group where everyone really pulls their weight. It is also good that the company does not let low performers stay on too long. Yes, it hurts if you are on the wrong end of that, but to build a strong team it must be done.

The company also makes a good effort at creating a friendly and fun environment. They host frequent happy hour events after work and do occasional outings. They took us all out to see the Star Wars opening in December, during work hours, no less. Foosball and FIFA (XBox) happen most afternoons.

Being in the cyber security space is a nice place to be. It seems like not a week goes by without a news story about a new major security breach. I would much rather be working on something like this than creating yet another way for people to broadcast selfies to the world.

Cons

The staff is split between two separate suites in our building and that lowers the energy level a bit. We outgrew our space and had to expand, so I don't blame management for the situation. And they are working on improving this. But other than this, no complaints.

Advice to Management

- Improve the ability of someone shopping for security tools to quickly learn about our products. A new visitor to our site should have one-click access to a series of brief, professionally-produced videos that assume no prior knowledge of Invincea and clearly explain what the product does.

- Evolve the server product so make it quicker and easier to configure and deploy. It is hard to scale to thousands of organizations if we have to put a team on site for every sale.

- Create one or more free online courses that teach how to configure and deploy the product.

- Try to get the entire HQ staff into a single space, but don't spend big bucks on real estate. Better to focus the money on getting the people and tools we need.

"challenging problems, SV start-up culture on East Coast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

-fun/intense work enviromnent
    -Incredibly smart people
    -Mgmt stays out of way, but supports when needed
    -Rapid growth means lots of new career opportunities
    -day-to-day perks: open/fully stocked kitchen; comp'd happy hours/events
    -theyre cool about working from home when needed

Cons

-lots to do & everyone has a ton of responsibility
    -Several recent huge deals have put strain on certain areas of dev
    -need more private whiteboard space

Advice to Management

-dev team is growing too fast for the current office space. Expanding current office or opening new -office should be priority

"Has been"

Current Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can wear what you want. In a place that used to have all pros; well that has been ruined by our fearless leaders who couldn't tell you the first thing about our real culture, or anything about anyone on the 4th floor.

Cons

A previous negative review got everyone's attention. It was spot on too. I really couldn't disagree with anything about it. What prompted me to write this was the reaction of our country club leadership. They didn't address the real issue, but instead had a threatening response. They refuse to take a look at how they can fix it. That's the real problem right? Is being aware of the issues, but refusing to take a look at themselves and see that they give no props to anyone. They only care about themselves. They ruined our culture, made this not a fun place, and treat us all (especially after the first negative review) as replaceable. They could fix this if they tried, but I don't think they really care.

Let's not even get into the zero chance for advancement and horrid pay, or the fact that our value as a company is slipping fast.

Advice to Management

You aren't leaders of a multi billion dollar company. You are leaders of a start up, start treating it like its a start up. You aren't more important than us up stairs. Start ups are supposed to be families. Not what you've turned this into. Stop ruining what people used to love

"model startup + dynamic research lab"

Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at Invincea full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is divided into a government funded research organization and a venture backed security products organization and reflects that rare, fruitful fusion of research and practice. The leadership reflects this balance as well -- the CEO came out of DARPA's entrepreneurial R&D culture and has since distinguished himself as a business leader. On the research side the company manages to compete effectively for work at DARPA and other agencies and then transition successful research concepts into features implemented within Invincea's security products. On the commercial side the company has a unique product positioned to take off in the market and a remarkable level of competence and team cohesion. Management truly cares about fostering a vibrant company culture and it shows in the range of extracurricular events the company offers (from paintball to bowling to company trips to baseball games).

Cons

There aren't big downsides to working at Invincea at the moment. To work here you have to be prepared to put in long hours during crunch time, but as far as startups go the work life balance is not bad.

Advice to Management

There are probably more opportunities to fuse the research coming out of the research organization with the commercial products, when possible work on creating a structure for technical exchange between the two business units so that such opportunities surface in a timely manner.