Janrain Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Development in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Development in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, great industry and product. Definitely the top of the market.

Cons

Management is confused on direction of company and how to manage internally. Very concerned about the big picture but hasn't focused on details of training and advancement of reps.

Advice to Management

Build a better training program and success will follow.

"not evolving"

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products and very friendly people.
    Flexible working hours.

Cons

You have the illusion to have the right to voice your opinion or have employee rights but it is just an illusion.

Lack of training and assistance.

Too much time is spent at meetings and planning instead of actually doing.

The company cares only about revenue.

The executive team is not professional but too political.

Sales don't understand the product.

Advice to Management

I think is too late to change the current situation.

Management should be less political.

Respect and treat people the way you want to be treated.

Start thinking about real improvements and work hard rather than fake it all to keep your wallet full.

"Struggling organization that continues to sit idle/ sliding while trying to find its core business + identity."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snack bar, Bagel Friday. Unfortunately, there is nothing more to be said. This organizations window to succeed is closing quickly.

Cons

Zero accountability management, there was zero on-boarding, zero training knowledge and documentation, an environment of "fake it until you make it", high turnover, office politics. Quite frankly this is not an environment where you're able to advance yourself and complete your personal + career goals.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Great office and perks, Sales management needs to enter the new millenium"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain (More than a year)

Pros

Cool eclectic office, good central downtown location, generous snack bars, convenient bike parking.

Cons

"Mad Men" style sales management a liability that has caused many key long term employees to turn elsewhere. Jury still out on whether new CEO has what it will take to turn around sales numbers.

Advice to Management

Put down your golf clubs and bring some gratitude to the table.

5. "Great Directors!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong team Director-level and below. These folks can move mountains if the exec team would get out of their way or just go away.

Cons

Lots of politics on exec team and many first time execs who will do anything to save their jobs. Many great people have left due to executive dysfunction. New CEO either doesn't get what makes a good culture or doesn't care.

Advice to Management

Listen to the directors - they understand what makes a culture great and they have the support of everyone else in the company.

"If Silicon Valley were a real life company..."

Former Employee - SQA Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - SQA Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was there nearly 5 years as one of their first QA Engineers. The Pros of Janrain can't really be quantified and boiled down to a review. It is single handedly the most surreal experience I have ever had in my career. Larry Drebes has created a dynamic team of wizards and while there is always going to be pains in any job or company as many reviews state, they grow you as a team.

When I say Silicon Valley, I swear to you it will feel that way. You will run into he platitudes and tropes of that show, it's both awesome and frustrating but upon reflection of having been gone a year, I miss it dearly. I made a lot of friends there I still keep in touch with.

You need a top of the line macbook? You got it! You need software? Done. Scala, Haskell? Hell yeah they are that nerdy!

This is a great place for anyone out of college to get their feet wet and frankly, if I am ever invited back, I'd go back in a heart beat.

Cons

You won't make a ton of money at Janrain but if you need to WFH, come in late, leave a little early, hit the gym, etc... as long as the work gets done, they are flexible. Damn, I can't even write a con without giving a boon, that's the kind of impression Janrain left on my career!

The building is terrifying though, lol. The Dekum building will be coming down when a quake hits, bring a parachord and attach it to a nearby window. I asked, "when are we moving?" at least once a month.

Advice to Management

Keep continuing to be open with people. Never once did a single manager steer me wrong there. I always felt protected and allowed to be an engineer and never had to be lambasted over some issue with sales or marketing or blah blah blah. They care about their people (manager pending since my exodus, can't speak to people I don't know)

"Great company on the cusp of big things"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Janrain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is on the verge of big upswing, and in a tech market that is about to become much more widely recognized as a necessity versus a nice to have. We are starting to win more of the buy versus build argument as enterprises are understanding the need for outsourcing a more security and compliance driven approach.

There has been a recent push on better internal communication which is starting to have a positive impact on culture and general attitude.

Overall, a great company with a great track record of pioneering innovation.

Cons

There has been some ongoing employee flux, which is a hurdle that we need to get over. This has had an impact on culture and most likely hiring efforts. However this is recognized and being addressed on many different fronts, hoping for a turn around on this very soon.

Advice to Management

Keep celebrating successes and keep improving the company communication, both internally as well as externally, locally and globally. We don't spend nearly enough time, budget and effort spreading the word of our accomplishments, big and small.

"Account Development Rep"

Former Employee - Account Development Representative in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Account Development Representative in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Janrain (More than a year)

Pros

Great and fun culture. A lot of collaboration if you fit in. Awesome work/life balance. They also have relaxing areas to work and provide food, coffee and snacks.

Cons

To much micro management. Towards the end they started hovering over us, recording calls, etc. SVP of WW Sales was not very awesome.

Advice to Management

Trust your people to perform. Get out of the way and let them do their job. Sr managers should be more approachable.

"Lots of potential, disappointing outcome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Janrain full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I legitimately cannot think of any reasons to work at Janrain. This was not the case in the past, but it is the situation at present, and for the foreseeable future. I loved you, and dedicated myself to you, and cared passionately and diligently for your success, but in the end you spat in my face.

Cons

Dismal culture of politics and every-person-for-themself sucks all the air and life out of the organization, leaving nothing for progress or innovation. Claustrophobic office building directly negatively impacts worker happiness and success. Top leadership lacks integrity, understanding of product or technology in general. Fighting and politicking keep the underlings afraid, uninformed, and heads down. There is a startling gap between what is sold/marketed, and what has actually been built, and there is an astonishing lack of understanding of this gap, willingness to acknowledge or confront it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying and manipulating your employees. They are adults. Tell it to them like it is. Yes, some will leave, but you will be left with the handful that can make your organization a success. Clearly communicate your business situation and your chosen course of action, and expect your employees to follow. Additionally, I strongly suggest you consider who in the organization puts their own personal success above the success of the organization, and you fire those people. I guarantee you such actors exist at the executive level, and they are destroying the organization.

"Encouraged by strategic changes"

Current Employee - Engineering in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineering in Portland, OR

I have been working at Janrain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has undergone some recent changes and most of these are for the better. The vision and plan are clear and the employees are being asked to execute on them. This is an exciting time to be a part of Janrain and make a difference. The work is interesting and fast paced while the culture is fun and collaborative.

Cons

While this is an exciting time it is also a pivotal time and the entire company will need to pull together to achieve success. This has been somewhat problematic in the past and it is unknown if Executive Management will get out of the way in order for the employees to execute and succeed.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way and let your people execute on what you asked them to do.