KIPP DC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Susan Schaeffler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Numerous tools for professional development through the KIPP Network (in 7 reviews)

• This organization had great benefits and paid great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can suffer for teachers, particularly during your first few years of working here (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours, extended meetings, prolonged contract renewals (in 15 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

great resources, lesson plans provided

Cons

no work life balance, behavioral plans for students do not exist, students not held accountable, too much violence, students are not in a safe space.

2. "Middle School Math"

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good staff culture (speaking for my particular school only)
    - all hands on deck to help
    - sharing (resources) is caring mindset
    - good pay (especially if you fill hard to teach subject areas like math and science)/ good benefits but not very much time to use them.
    - the student transformation you see when you stay long enough - I think the school really helps improve their trajectories from an academic standpoint.

Cons

- This is literally the ibanking of teaching. The hours are long as teachers are expected to fill other roles beyond the classroom including leading after school clubs, etc.
    - Not very clear curriculum guidelines so teachers spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel here.
    - Not a clear path for advancement outside of the classroom

Advice to Management

More opportunity for professional development outside the KIPP network - PDs start to feel like echo chambers instead of providing opportunities for gaining a new perspective. More opportunities for teachers to advance their careers by being involved in education from another aspect (ie. city government, policy, testing new schoolwide initiative, data analysis, etc.). More skills assessment of what teachers actual strengths are and improved school-wide planning around teacher operations.

"Lead Teacher - First Grade"

Pros

Professional development opportunities
    Good salary
    Other teachers in school are supportive

Cons

Lack of support from administration
    Very high expectations for teachers
    Little planning time
    Long school year

"KIPPDC is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Dean of Students in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Dean of Students in Washington, DC

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for KIPPDC has been truly a blessing. I came here 5 years ago and have loved every second. The top 5 reasons to work for KIPPDC are:
    1. Amazing development and leadership opportunities, KIPPDC provides so much professional development and truly develops their teachers and staff to the best of their abilities. In my time at KIPP I have grown in my career more than I ever thought possible.
    2. Mindset: Every person, from our Headquarters staff to our custodial team is dedicated to the work we do and all of our children.
    3. Strong coaches: The network provides literacy, math and classroom management coaching. Through this coaching our teachers deliver quality instruction and are truly content managers.
    4. Great Benefits: Even with the changes we are facing as a nation, KIPPDC is committed to taking care of their teachers and staff. Our healthcare, vision, dental, and retirement is top notch and completely reasonable in prices, even for dependent care.
    5. They take our feedback: KIPPDC is committed to taking our feedback and growing as a network. With our feedback KIPPDC has changed our working calendar (longer summer vacations) , upgraded technology (Mac Book Airs) , and even added some personal wellness days (refresh and renew). I have worked for different school systems and no one has been this responsive to our needs!

Cons

Hours are longer than some of our public school counterparts: We do have to be in our building for longer than other public schools. These longer hours lend themselves to making sure work is completed in the building and you don't have to take as much home.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us and adjusting things as needed! We really appreciate it!

"Headquarters culture changing quickly with growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission, the kids, the camaraderie with coworkers, headquarter roles generally pay more than most non-profits.

Cons

KIPP DC has grown rapidly in the past few years and is headquarters is experiencing some growing pains related to management at the director level. The general sentiment among manager/associate staff is that most directors are completely oblivious and/or uninterested in how the people they manage feel about their role. And when a number of staff at a particular level feel negatively about their role or feel undervalued, it can quickly feel like a pervasive and exhausting culture of negativity. Issues that are brought up by large swaths of staff as important for staff retention - like another con: embarrassingly low maternity leave and zero paternity leave (especially for an organization run by women and employing many women + lgbt employees) - are not always taken seriously. The way the culture is changing overall is disappointing and I hope it starts to even out.

Advice to Management

Focus on making sure that headquarters employees feel like they have growth within their role/within the organization as a whole before that employee burnsout/feels like they are undervalued/starts looking for more growth elsewhere. Put an added focus on directors taking temperature checks of their team before it is apparent that there are issues.

6. "Only work here if you want to use the company as much as they use you!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Numerous PD opportunities and higher pay than most other schools

Great Network of individuals committed to education - tons of social outings and events

Students and families are AMAZING! Huge family support for teachers

Great stepping stone for growth and learning if looking to advance beyond a classroom teacher (in or out of the organization)... Pretty much- if you drink the cult koolaid/play the corporate political games (that is how the company runs), you can learn a lot and take a ton of knowledge from this company

Cons

Huge turnover rate

Nepotism is common across the schools | Unqualified friends of leadership promoted often and quickly --> quicker advancement for males than females - it is unfortunately an organization lost in "white supremacy" and "male dominance"

A lot of false promises for students - for example, the organization boasts a ton about values and culture/teaching the whole-child, however, it is very driven by standardized test scores which begin as early as kindergarten (4-year-olds begin practicing the computer test before officially taking it the following year)

Many teachers are new to the profession and in fact, new to any profession- so a lot of necessary mentoring and coaching is going on behind the scenes which can take away from student learning in their first year of instruction - the company is systematically set up this way due to the long hours and stress of the job... a work-life balance is minimal, so college-graduates make great new-highers

Pay is higher than most schools but work hours is at least triple of a normal classroom teacher (longer school days, less breaks/planning time, longer weeks -Saturday School, longer school year)

Very young management teams running schools - some teachers are given a chance to advance, however, their skills in the classroom do not always equate to good leadership

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be so hip and cool and lead everyone at your school (students, teachers, parents, etc.) - try to keep gossip to a minimum to create a better culture for everyone (new and veteran teachers alike)

Please learn how to communicate with the diverse group you work with - again, teachers, students, and parents alike. Stop saying what and HOW you think people want to hear you speak and just be yourselves - far too often leadership across schools are trying to be people they're not and it shows in a rather awkward, and negative way

If you have only taught 5 or so years before leaving the classroom to become an administrator... take the time to learn more about each grade you oversee.

7. "Great mission. Details to work out."

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

Strong mission of helping children in underserved communities succeed.

Cons

No work-life balance. Organization focuses on students as the only stakeholders but frequently forgets about staff or teachers resulting in rapid burnout. Not transparent about processes or responsiveness to feedback.

Advice to Management

Find ways to both help your employees breathe during the day, create more balance with competing priorities (i.e. families, life outside of work), and more transparency about opportunities for growth.

8. "Welcome to Kipp"

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

Relaxed dress code, Real love for the students, great organizational culture

Cons

Long hours, extended meetings, prolonged contract renewals

Advice to Management

More promotion within the Kipp network

"Do not work at KIPP DC"

Current Employee - CTR in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - CTR in Washington, DC

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teachers are graduates from local and worldwide universities

Cons

10-14 hour days. Barely a break for the restroom or lunch. Administration stresses teachers they don't like by piling bad kids into rooms of teachers they aren't in favor of. KIPP DC has a behind the scene saying that all employees must be "Kippnotize" that is a way of being part of the clique, Everyone sounds like a robot. Once children throw chairs, hit, kick, fight and abuse teachers nothing happens. You are told to ignore this behavior. No support from the big money makers...Headquarters. Whose office space is in Georgetown DC, the highest rent district in Washington DC, right along the Potomac River next to the Kennedy Center. Ummmm...KIPP assists underprivileged children but has a office in an area where poor people aren't even familiar. Several hidden agendas. More thirsty for money then providing quality salaries to teachers.
    You are not expected to use any of your leave even if you have to go to the doctor. Do not work here. You'll regret it.

None of the executives send their kids to KIPP!

Advice to Management

Be respectful to your employees.

"Very Unprofessional & Disorganized Experience"

I worked at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

The mission is to help underprivileged children, and it is a remarkable mission. Also, the children are darling and this work is vitally important work.

Cons

My experience interviewing and accepting a position to teach at a KIPP DC school was very unprofessional. I communication was vague (even after I received an offer letter) and I was never told which school I would be working at. I consistently had to reach out to them for answers to my inquiries and, even then, information was ambiguous. After e-mailing for more clarity on which school and subject I would be teaching, and them ultimately telling me they would be placing me in a elementary school classroom (after I applied, interviewed, and accepted an offer for secondary ONLY) I retracted my acceptance of offer.

Overall, it felt like something was going on that wasn't completely truthful on the part of KIPP DC. I have since found out (from a former 6th grade Science teacher) that the organization on KIPP DC specifically is very bad-leading to high teacher turnover. My personal experience with KIPP DC was awful, (and I have heard the same from former teachers) but I have heard raving reviews about working at KIPP schools in other areas of the country.

Advice to Management

Become more organized, and honest. Also, encourage more work/life balance or you will continually lose smart, driven, and qualified candidates for your schools.