KIPP DC Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susan Schaeffler

1. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at KIPP DC (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love it close need faculty and staff.

Cons

Long hours were a bit much

Advice to Management

value your employees more.

2. "Unsustainable Work"

Former Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very well-resourced; we never wanted for supplies in our classrooms because we always had whatever we needed (also very rarely had to spend my own money for class materials)

Cons

Work-life balance was challenging; behavior management policy is extremely rigid for such young students; school day is too long for teachers and students alike

Advice to Management

Compensation is decent but not competitive with DCPS for those who stay more than a year or two. Incentivize teacher retention and performance through regular salary increases or beginning-of-year bonuses that can be rescinded if performance goals aren't met

"Overworked, unappreciated, hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Compliance Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Compliance Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

This organization had great benefits and paid great. They knew how to party and at times have great events that made you feel appreciated and like family

Cons

There is no work-life balance. You are expected to work 11-12 hour days no matter what position it is and you are salaried. Everything is manual and time consuming. They take 3-4 jobs and make it one person's job and you are heavily under scrutiny no matter what you do. The environment in the schools is literally a living Hell and the school leaders have too much power but no knowledge of anything. Avoid this place at all costs. Plus, the headquarters team is not racially diverse and they are border-line racist.

Advice to Management

Treat the school staff better and stop hiring former teachers as operational management.

"Transparency"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Mount Washing, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Mount Washing, OH

Pros

Salary: I don't think you're going to find higher salary compensation in many other school systems

Genuine love and appreciation from students

Cons

Salary: Although the salary compensation may be higher than other school systems, it is still well below what most teachers deserve. We work at minimum 50 hours per week (7:30 am - 5:30 pm M-F), but you'll find the majority of KIPP DC teachers arriving up to 30 minutes early and staying up to an hour or more after work hours. Additionally, a number of teachers are doing work at home, collaborating at coffee shops, and working "volunteer" programs and events on Saturdays. A teacher with a $70,000/yr salary is essentially making about $25-$26/hr BEFORE taxes (but that's another story). It's tough trying to work and live in DC as a teacher with the cost of living.

Leadership: In my experience, the principal has seemingly forgotten the grind and mental battle of what it takes to be successful in the classroom. Additionally, she has a terrible habit of throwing out new ideas, curriculums and practices that are never followed through to the end. With so many extracurriculars going on, the principal has lost touch with the school as a whole and the wellness of the teachers. Also, it's unsettling at times when the principal cannot identify students by name.

Leadership/Administration: There is no transparency with what is going on at our school or with our school systemt. EVERYTHING is so secretive!! It's annoying and unsettling. We don't know how our salaries are calculated, and school calendars are not provided until the last possible moment. It is June 30th, and we have yet to receive the 2016-17 SY teacher calendar (at least at our school).

Transparency: What's in our budget?! Why are some KIPP DC schools going to the KIPP School Summit and not us? Where does our money budgeted for that go? What about Saturday School? We know there's a budget for that, but it was non-existent at our school this year, where was the opportunity for teachers to get extra compensation for those positions? All of these questions are what we want to know. Why the secrets??

Teacher Wellness: There is an unwritten rule that you CANNOT miss work. Apparently, in our contracts we are allowed 10 days PTO (for sickness or whatever), BUT, there is a culture manufactured by leadership and administration that to miss a day of work is taboo and looked down upon. Teachers are scared to miss work. We have teachers coming in sick, bags under eyes, runny noses, etc. It's ridiculous! Additionally, we are apprehensive about asking for time to make doctor's appointments, or even leaving early or missing a day for a funeral! The usual immediate response is: "Have you arranged for your classes to be covered?" or "When did you know about this?" One time I was met with the response, "Hi, I know life happens, but..." OUTRAGEOUS! Further, if a day was to be missed, there had to be some kind of compensation made up for the other teachers who were affected by your absence. It's tough because you have some teacher who never miss days because they know how it creates a domino effect amongst other teachers, and then you have some teachers who don't care and are going to take their days regardless (more power to them!) I for one though, do not like to put my teammates at a disadvantage, so I suck it up and somehow manage perfect attendance (without recognition from leadership, but that's not why I do it, although it would be nice here and there).

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Habits of secrecy create reservations of trust from your teachers. Additionally, do a better job of knowing what's going on in your teacher's lives or at least their work lives. What we do with KIPP DC is hard work. Our jobs go beyond the traditional responsibilities of teachers. Our students spend more time with us than they do with their parents. Parenting is hard work in itself, but when you add teaching, managing behaviors, and being a great teammate to it all, life becomes stressful and can really wear you down. Remember what it's like to be a teacher. Remember the struggle. Work-Life balance is a must. We know your job is tough, but when you bring your teachers on board to help you, your job becomes that much easier. It may not be a democracy, but you don't have to be a dictator.

"Hated it..."

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the teachers that I worked with. They were smart, driven, talented, and so caring about the kids and their families.

Cons

The administration at my particular campus was not very strong. They made excuses for the children and allowed poor behavior. The teachers had no power, and as a result, I was assaulted and punched in the face my last day of work.

Advice to Management

HOLD ALL CAMPUSES to the same high standards. Do not make excuses for the students and train your admin better.

7. "KIPP DC ECE"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Washington, DC

Pros

Dedicated team of teachers
    Supportive administration
    Admin supports teacher growth
    Focus on student achievement
    Wonderful students!

Cons

Extended school day and year

"Lead Teacher"

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Targeted coaching and substantive, helpful professional development
    -Amazing teaching staff committed to motto that all children can and will learn. Strong collaboration within teams and across grade levels
    -Competitive compensation and classroom budget
    -Vibrant and joyful classrooms
    -Supportive network with many opportunities for growth

Cons

-Lengthy school day can be challenging for both teachers and students
    -Work life balance can suffer for teachers, particularly during your first few years of working here

"Lead Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Salary, PD is awesome, small classes and culture is strong. If you want to work in education and develop quickly in DC, KIPP is the place to be.

Cons

The school day is from 7:30-5:30, which can be rough.

Advice to Management

Shorten the school day.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at KIPP DC you will be surrounded by some of the smartest, hardest working educators in the business.

Cons

Not everyone is cut out for working in such an intense environment with such high expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Your experience depends on your school"

Current Employee - First Grade Teacher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - First Grade Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits, Excellent professional development opportunities (trainings, graduate degree opportunities, etc.), committed coworkers, opportunities for growth and career advancement through leadership

Cons

School autonomy means that your experience depends heavily on your school leadership and staff; hours are much longer than DCPS