KIPP DC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Susan Schaeffler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Numerous tools for professional development through the KIPP Network (in 7 reviews)

• Salaries are extremely competitive, even among charter schools (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no real work-life balance but you are compensated for that (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours, extended meetings, prolonged contract renewals (in 15 reviews)

"KIPPDC is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Dean of Students in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Dean of Students in Washington, DC

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for KIPPDC has been truly a blessing. I came here 5 years ago and have loved every second. The top 5 reasons to work for KIPPDC are:
    1. Amazing development and leadership opportunities, KIPPDC provides so much professional development and truly develops their teachers and staff to the best of their abilities. In my time at KIPP I have grown in my career more than I ever thought possible.
    2. Mindset: Every person, from our Headquarters staff to our custodial team is dedicated to the work we do and all of our children.
    3. Strong coaches: The network provides literacy, math and classroom management coaching. Through this coaching our teachers deliver quality instruction and are truly content managers.
    4. Great Benefits: Even with the changes we are facing as a nation, KIPPDC is committed to taking care of their teachers and staff. Our healthcare, vision, dental, and retirement is top notch and completely reasonable in prices, even for dependent care.
    5. They take our feedback: KIPPDC is committed to taking our feedback and growing as a network. With our feedback KIPPDC has changed our working calendar (longer summer vacations) , upgraded technology (Mac Book Airs) , and even added some personal wellness days (refresh and renew). I have worked for different school systems and no one has been this responsive to our needs!

Cons

Hours are longer than some of our public school counterparts: We do have to be in our building for longer than other public schools. These longer hours lend themselves to making sure work is completed in the building and you don't have to take as much home.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us and adjusting things as needed! We really appreciate it!

2. "Classroom Teacher"

I worked at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

KIPP DC has an incredible mission, an extremely talented team of educators and leaders ,and amazingly resilient students. They consistently perform among the best charter schools in DC (though there is some variance among schools) and they are always committed to getting better.

Cons

Teacher workload is often unsustainable and the schedule can be inflexible (though the network has recently made some changes to the school calendar and length of the school day to improve that).

Advice to Management

Continue finding ways to make employees feel valued and justly compensated for the incredible work they do.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Kids are great
    -Money is really good

Cons

-If you are a teacher, it will take over your life. There is no real work-life balance but you are compensated for that

-Co-workers can be a mixed bag. Sometimes great---sometimes terrible.

-When you leave, you are dead to them. Doesn't matter if it was good or bad. They no longer care about you and your career development.

4. "Great place to work and make a difference"

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a hands-on experience working with students and families, as well as having autonomy to design your own teaching style. The schools are geographically accessible. You get support and coaching from a leadership team who is interested in growing the human in addition to the teacher.

Cons

This job is very time consuming and requires a large amount of pre-planning on the teacher's end in order to maximize free time.

5. "Love KIPP"

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

There is a big sense of community and support at KIPP DC. Knowing that everyone is mission-driven and wants to provide high quality education to our students keep m e going every day. It's nice to know we are all aligned and can count on each other

Cons

As others have said, work life balance is hard. To me, it's worth it and I wouldn't leave because of it, but it can be tough.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate some of the policies, such as PTO, maternity leave and continue to find ways to make the work more sustainable.

6. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher
    Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is strong and pd is also good

Cons

Lack of curriculum and work life balance

Advice to Management

Have more of an eye towards retaining talent for the long term

7. "teacher"

I worked at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

the support for families and students is amazing. everyone is all in for the students

Cons

terrible work life balance for teachers

8. "Teacher"

I have been working at KIPP DC full-time

Pros

great resources, lesson plans provided

Cons

no work life balance, behavioral plans for students do not exist, students not held accountable, too much violence, students are not in a safe space.

9. "Middle School Math"

I worked at KIPP DC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good staff culture (speaking for my particular school only)
    - all hands on deck to help
    - sharing (resources) is caring mindset
    - good pay (especially if you fill hard to teach subject areas like math and science)/ good benefits but not very much time to use them.
    - the student transformation you see when you stay long enough - I think the school really helps improve their trajectories from an academic standpoint.

Cons

- This is literally the ibanking of teaching. The hours are long as teachers are expected to fill other roles beyond the classroom including leading after school clubs, etc.
    - Not very clear curriculum guidelines so teachers spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel here.
    - Not a clear path for advancement outside of the classroom

Advice to Management

More opportunity for professional development outside the KIPP network - PDs start to feel like echo chambers instead of providing opportunities for gaining a new perspective. More opportunities for teachers to advance their careers by being involved in education from another aspect (ie. city government, policy, testing new schoolwide initiative, data analysis, etc.). More skills assessment of what teachers actual strengths are and improved school-wide planning around teacher operations.

"Lead Teacher - First Grade"

Pros

Professional development opportunities
    Good salary
    Other teachers in school are supportive

Cons

Lack of support from administration
    Very high expectations for teachers
    Little planning time