KVC Health Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

KVC Health Systems Reviews

Updated Oct 15, 2019

3.3
KVC Health Systems CEO Jason R. Hooper (no image)
Jason R. Hooper
Pros
Cons
  • "Driving long hours and distances(in 8 reviews)

• "Case loads tend to be heavy due to high need and lack of adequate funding from the state(in 5 reviews)

1. "A lovely and caring place to work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Olathe, KS

I have been working at KVC Health Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

KVC Health Systems is a values-based nonprofit organization and recently began an employee engagement initiative to better retain employees and promote more positive employee daily interactions! I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day and my team's communication is great. My supervisor is receptive to feedback and makes sure I understand what is expected of me. Training in the first two weeks is a... lot of information but all necessary to understand the role, function, and programs used daily. I can see myself working at this organization for a long time as long as I have advancement opportunities. I'm grateful to KVC for giving me the opportunity to begin my career!

Cons

Comparable salary for people of my same experience and education but definitely seeking opportunities to advance in position, title, and pay; IT issues can be frustrating but are usually solved quickly--depending on the problem.

Advice to Management

Keep working on employee engagement, it's going well so just maintain your efforts!

KVC Health Systems2019-10-15
  2. "Learned a lot from this position"

Former Employee - IT Support Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at KVC Health Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great group of people that I worked with. Was able to learn a great deal of many facets of the mental health agency Management is supurb. Great group of people who care about families and children.

Cons

Can be overwelming at times.

Advice to Management

Think of hiring back end people to support the great work that you are doing.

KVC Health Systems2019-10-10
  3. "Fantastic Mission - Wonderful People"

Former Employee - Communications in Olathe, KS

I worked at KVC Health Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Terrific benefits package * Your work means something. You have an opportunity to use your skills to improve the lives of children and families in crisis. * (Almost) 100% of fellow employees are heart-centered individuals working hard to make a difference in this world. * KVC's Vision is to see every person safe and connected to a strong family and a healthy community. That's reason enough to get up every day... and go to work. * Employees are dedicated, compassionate, hardworking wonderful people. * Leaders have committed to developing a strong culture of engagement to support their hard working employees.

Cons

* Case loads tend to be heavy due to high need and lack of adequate funding from the state. * High turnover

KVC Health Systems2019-09-19
  4. "Dangerous work environment"

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor in Kansas City, KS

I worked at KVC Health Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

It can be fulfilling work helping kids. Management is usually really friendly and willing to listen. IF staffed properly shifts can be very fun and fly by. Get lots of PTO a year and always have overtime available to work. HR is insanely friendly and helpful and always willing to talk.

Cons

Never staffed properly which leads to very dangerous work environments. Sometimes 2 staff with up to 15 kids with psychiatric and behavioral concerns that are often violent. Breaks are practically never an option and they are lying if they tell you that they'll move you to mornings after working evenings for a few months. They'll hire new people for mornings instead of evenings and risk losing you rather than move... you to days as promised. Pay is $14/hour with a degree with $15/hour on weekends which could be SO much better considering the work conditions (you can make $14/hour at Target starting now). Management is hit or miss. Some management will go out of their way to help you out and some will nod and listen then do absolutely nothing.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to work concerns from employees..... actually DO SOMETHING to fix them. Employees are more than bodies to fill shifts. KVC has SO MUCH potential if vital issues would be addressed... Mainly more staffing per shift. Two staff are not enough for a house full of troubled kids REGARDLESS of state regulations.

KVC Health Systems2019-08-24
  5. "Great place with a great mission"

Current Employee - Executive in Olathe, KS

I have been working at KVC Health Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked here many years starting out as an average Joe and have always been treated with respect by my supervisors. The leadership genuinely cares about the health and well being of our patients. They put their care first. They invest a lot of time and resources into using cutting edge technology.

Cons

The front line work with the kids can be taxing due to the problems that come with the nature of this work. But I believe people pick this field because they want to provide solutions to those problems.

Advice to Management

Continue to genuinely look for ways to improve on employee engagement. Make the staff feel valued.

KVC Health Systems2019-08-07
  6. "Best job so far in my career"

Current Employee - Payroll Administrator in Olathe, KS

I have been working at KVC Health Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hard work but hours can be flexible, challenges my skills and has made me better, opinions are asked for and heard, decent benefits, great co-workers

Cons

Sometimes have to chase the tools to complete your job-IT department slow to respond to issues with everyday tools we use to do the job. At times too feeling vs. professional business but mostly due to the industry

Advice to Management

Review staff (their strengths and weaknesses) to put the right employees in the right positions that truly add value to the company.

KVC Health Systems2019-07-12
  7. "KVC Health review"

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Technician

I worked at KVC Health Systems full-time

Pros

Children are amazing Safety & holds training is very through

Cons

Disorganization Lack of effective communication

KVC Health Systems2019-05-19

May 31, 2019Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your review and for your service to the children in care at KVC Hospitals. Children really are amazing, and quite resilient when given excellent therapies and compassionate care. Thank you for being part of that. To address the need for greater organization and communication, KVC is launching a new employee engagement and manager training initiative. We trust this effort will significantly enhance all our managers’ abilities to communicate well and support their teams with clarity and vision.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at KVC Health Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company cares about their employees; benefits; integrity

Cons

Nature of the work requires a lot of responsibility and long hours at times.

KVC Health Systems2019-05-01

May 30, 2019Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for recommending KVC as a great place to work. In your role as a Director, you have obviously been with KVC through many years, from the frontlines of care to a position now where you work daily to keep KVC’s Promise - to put people first in everything, from our biggest organizational decisions to our smallest daily interactions – because people matter.

9. "BHT"

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Technician

I worked at KVC Health Systems part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wealth of mental health experience

Cons

Overworked, lack of training, hard to schedule time off

KVC Health Systems2019-04-24

May 30, 2019Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for more than three years of care and service to children in need of psychiatric treatment with KVC Hospitals. No doubt you did learn a great deal in that time. Our hospital staff are provided additional ongoing monthly training enhancement meetings to review and learn new practices and policies. KVC encourages employees to take advantage of these additional training resources monthly. While hospital management must put the needs of the children in our care as our top priority, we do make every effort to accommodate requests for time off whenever possible.

10. "Good First Job"

Former Employee - Family Preservation Therapist in Olathe, KS

I worked at KVC Health Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible scheduling - Great coworkers - Technology (software made by the company for record keeping and documentation) - Great values and culture - Opportunity to make a difference - Great benefits and pay (compared to other social service agencies)

Cons

- Being overworked and underpaid (which is a reality in this field regardless of company) - Long hours with lots of driving involved (and they don’t always reimburse for mileage depending on budget) - Undervalued staff (especially if you’re in family preservation) - Inadequate middle management choices (my reason for leaving)

Advice to Management

When choosing directors for departments, pick someone with experience and a good reputation — not solely based on prior friendships. When replacing a supervisor, appoint the individual recommended by the previous supervisor (their team won’t want to stay otherwise). Value the employees that go above and beyond and are assets to the agency — and provide incentive and reward positions to those that benefit the agency.... Understand that many employees (current and former) should not be considered expendable: although there are many new social work graduates who can fill positions easily, if you neglect the quality of workers, you won’t achieve positive outcomes. Highlight the incredible work accomplished by family preservation. The public’s negative receptions regarding the foster care system could be easily mitigated by showing how many children we prevented from entering the system.

KVC Health Systems2019-03-20

April 5, 2019Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your very thoughtful review. KVC is proud to offer many wonderful benefits, as you pointed out. While social work is a heart-centered career, not a dollar-centric career, KVC salaries are on the more generous side of the industry average. To clarify though, KVC always reimburses our employees, regardless of budgetary constraints, as long as those requests for reimbursement are made within 60 days of the event, as clearly stated in our policies. With regard to promotions, it is understandably challenging to process when one person is selected over another for promotion, when both applicants have differing strengths and areas for growth. Co-workers rarely have all the available information on which such decisions are made. At KVC, we value all our hard-working employees for the difficult and vital work they do helping families. Each team celebrates triumphs in different, often creative ways. Perhaps you would be interested in the many ways the KVC Communications team helps spread the word about the amazing work our Family Preservation teams are doing specifically. KVC produces numerous blog articles on the subject of keeping families safely together, which are shared through social media, email and on our website here [https://kansas.kvc.org/category/keeping-families-safely-together/]. Our most recent article, in fact, details the many ways the Family First Act will positively affect the nation’s Family Preservation efforts. You can access that article here. [https://www.kvc.org/blog/the-family-first-act-and-help-thousands-of-children/]

Found 118 reviews