Kapow Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Kapow CEO Chris Brown
Chris Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Up and coming company at an exciting moment in its life"

I have been working at Kapow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to create something new in an old school industry within a company culture that encourages experimentation and ownership
    -Collegial environment
    -People are sharp and care about excellence
    -Solid work/life balance

Cons

-Still feel some of the scars of H1 2016 layoffs (this is totally understandable). The company has done lots to facilitate healing and create a sustainable business model that has very exciting potential (and we are starting to realize some of that potential)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to customers, listening to employees, and learning the events space

2. "Account Manager"

I worked at Kapow full-time

Pros

Fun environment, lots of hustle, innovative

Cons

work life balance and High turn over

"Dynamic, evolving company with a great group of people!"

Pros

The problem space of creating a strong viable marketplace for events using tech is exciting and rewarding intellectually.  With all the difficult challenges of 2015/2016 behind it, the team is well positioned to accomplish what it set out to do. There is greater crispness in the strategy and its subsequent execution. The people are absolutely great! It is a mix of people from different professional backgrounds.  The vibe is pretty collegial and casual.  Overall a great place to work if you are flexible and can thrive in a fast paced environment.

Cons

Lots to do in a short amount of time.  Like any small growing company,  it has a significant backlog of things that need to be done.

"Kapow"

Current Employee - Development Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Development Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kapow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is great. The employees respect one another and we are constantly striving to improve efficiency and profitability. Management cares about work, life balance. Employees have freedom to take care of their personal needs, as they arise. Full time employees are incentivized to work hard for the company and will benefit financially with the companies growth.

Cons

As is the case with any smaller start up, the future growth of the company may be a question mark for some individuals. The company needs to continue to grow in order to be fully self-sustaining.

Advice to Management

Consider greater visibility of potential for wage increases.

"Great Place to Learn, Grow and think Entrepreneurially"

I have been working at Kapow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Kapow offers an opportunity to gain client and venue relationships across the US (and perhaps internationally as we grow).

- My colleagues are smart, helpful and friendly.

- Employees are encouraged to participate in town halls, marketing meetings and hackathons. Great ideas can potentially be converted into the product / website design and functionality.

- Management holds weekly 1:1s to check in with the team and assist as needed.

- We use great tools like Zoom and Slack to easily stay in touch and problem solve with one another.

- We get to plan and deliver creative events, but we are not required to physically be on-site for them (so we have a nice work/ life balance).

- We host quarterly "all-hands" meetings in Chicago, during which we team build by doing our own Kapow events, which is fun and memorable.

- We work with well-known brands like Nike, J. Crew, Sunglass Hut & Under Armour. We also bring event revenue to small business and independent restaurants, which is rewarding.

- We're helping our clients treat their clients and colleagues to a good time, which is also rewarding!

Cons

- The roles at Kapow are not cookie cutter - expect to creatively problem solve, lean on your team and learn something new every day.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Kapow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Kapow promotes a culture of ownership - which is visible in employees' work and engagement
    - Room for growth and development
    - Fast paced environment offering dynamic work experiences
    - Great Benefits for a Start-up
    - Management is flexible and promotes a work / life balance

Cons

- Communication across the organization is not always clear
    - No 401k Match
    - Onboarding process could be more defined

"Lots of opportunity"

I have been working at Kapow full-time

Pros

- Good benefits for a startup. Add 401K match and then benefits will be great!
    - Culture of ownership -- not embraced by everyone but those that do tend to do well and this helps get exposure to growth opportunities.
    - Flexible work environment.
    - Really interesting product -- you get the sense that you're building something.
    - Fun industry.
    - Great people.

Cons

- Not a ton of foundational processes, although this should get better over time as they continue to develop. It's definitely a learn as you go vibe.
    - CEO is great but other leaders have may need to work on their team communication.
    - Overall, still getting all teams on the same page as to what this product is and who it is for, but again, I think this will happen over time.
    - Culture has seen ups and downs, some team members are more affected by this than others. Overall, culture is definitely on the up.

Advice to Management

Find the right balance of sharing information without belaboring the point.

8. "Amazing culture & development opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Market Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Market Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kapow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, management is flexible and understanding, lots of room for growth and development in startup culture, the people are AMAZING and energize me to come to work

Cons

Lack of on boarding and protocols for tasks, but is expected in a startup setting

9. "great place for motivated people wanting to disrupt an industry"

I have been working at Kapow full-time

Pros

Well positioned in an industry ripe for innovative disruption across sales, account management and technology.
    Good team of employees in every department.
    Hiring is carefully considered both in terms of need for role and making sure Kapow finds the right person.

Cons

Fast paced environment either keeps employees on their toes and opens opportunities or makes them feel like they weren't involved in every decision, (depending on their perspective).
    Benefits are definitely skewed towards long term potential incentive which is actually good but should be well understood by candidates or it will be perceived as a negative.

"Great team and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kapow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Fun industry
    -- Cool technology
    -- Great people
    -- Flexible work
    -- Bar in the lobby
    -- Smart leaders
    -- Potential for big growth
    -- Equity ownership stake

Cons

-- Communication not always clear
    -- Culture has seen many ups and downs
    -- Lack of strategic focus sometimes

Advice to Management

Make sure you understand what the employee's day-to-day really looks and feels like