Kaye Scholer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Kaye Scholer Managing Partner Michael B. Solow
Michael B. Solow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lots of resources & can create great teams"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kaye Scholer (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many interesting, high profile projects along with great team involvement.

Cons

Not enough standardized training for support staff.

2. "Attorney"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kaye Scholer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great client base and opportunity to learn.

Cons

Lack of communication and not inclusive if you are not working directly with a deal team.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees have feelings, pay more attention to inclusion and sensitivity.

"KS Review"

Current Employee - Document Services Operator in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Document Services Operator in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Kaye Scholer (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent experience dealing with different aspects of the Legal field. Wonderful location as well.

Cons

Management does not handle employee issues as they should, where employees should be fired or let go some department managers would rather make you quit than deal with their issues. HR thinks everything can be fixed with a meeting or a smile

Advice to Management

Start caring more about these small issues your employees bring to you. The turn-over in a department would be alot smaller if you did.

"Working Relationships are Key!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

KS has lots of interesting cases and talent individuals providing opportunities for professional growth. You need to line them up.

Cons

Not enough standardized or best practices instilled in the staff for thinking out of the box. Non-attorneys are not respected nor valued. No job movement nor internal postings.

Advice to Management

Add more training & best practices

"Mid level employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kaye Scholer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, new office in New York. Very smart people.

Cons

Groups are cloistered. Your experience depends heavily on where you land. Some partners can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency. Encourage a friendlier and more open atmosphere.

"Madness. Stay away from this joke of a law firm."

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Kaye Scholer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No good reason to work at a place where bullying is tolerated and even encouraged and awarded.

Cons

This was the worst job I have ever had in my entire life.

I felt like I was working in a mental institution.

The boss yelled at me in a meeting for not having a lid on my coffee cup (by the way, I DID have a lid on my coffee cup). When I showed her that I did, in fact, have a lid on my coffee cup and that she should be discussing the no-lid situation to one of my co-workers who was sitting across from me, the boss just snickered and gave me a dirty look.

I was tasked with creating new business cards for the firm. This led me to hundreds of meetings with the vendor and the boss where nothing was accomplished except for the fact that the boss yelled and screamed at me and the vendor about card stock and fonts and QR codes. This went on for the entire time I was there, and after I left it was still going on. It's just a bunch of stupid cards, people. No need for hundreds of meetings with thousands of people from scores of different departments coming up with no solutions because nobody agrees with which white paper is nicer and thicker or which font looks more professional but not too professional yet professional enough.

I was tasked with making sure the new law firm artwork was utilized in every advertisement. However, some of the nuts in my department didn't like the artwork so they went behind my back to create ads with the old artwork. When I told the boss that they were not listening to my direction on the new artwork, she yelled at me for "allowing" them to do something that was completely out of my hands and done without my knowledge.

My manager wanted me to send her my draft of a practice description which was to be posted on the law firm website. I was in the very early drafting stages and I had only gathered notes from other law firm sites for ideas on language. My manager rushed me and said that I had to send her my draft, which I did, with the notation that it was not really a draft but just my initial notes. Well, she forwarded that to the boss and my co-workers under the guise that it was my final draft. My co-workers then determined that I "plagiarized" my work. I was summarily fired for plagiarism of something that was not meant for anything but initial notations, and was not ever seen by anyone outside my department, and was not even meant for anyone but my manager to see and not even her. I know they didn't fire me for this fake "plagiarism." They fired me because I didn't fit in their clique of psychopaths. I got full unemployment insurance, which you do NOT get if you're fired for cause.

After I left this insane asylum, a former co-worker told me that the nuts in my department were still blaming me for things that happened months later.

Madness.

Advice to Management

Check out what's going on in your support staff departments.

"There are lots of nicer and better firms to work at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The only positive about this firm is the salary and midtown location; and the benefits are competitive. Most of support staff are pleasant. Cafeteria on-site.

Cons

Arrogant attorneys - especially the partners - many of whom lack good manners. Low morale among staff and many associates. Poor communication. Partners and management do not make employees feel they have value to the firm, unless you are in one of their cliques. Favoritism rampant. Attractive females tend to have an edge with many of the partners. Work distributed unevenly.

Advice to Management

I see little hope for things changing in this firm given the economy and the fact that there are too many lawyers and not enough jobs - and starting salaries are competitive. And for non-lawyers, there are lots folks that will work in this firm because they need a job. Partners and mgt could use training in management and quality improvement.

"The ship is going down"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaye Scholer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay on time and the checks clear.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Rapid turnover and no clear vision.

Advice to Management

There are so many people in Business Development and Marketing and no one really knows what their function is. In addition, there is a diversity issue and no room for growth.

"Great People"

Current Employee - Talent Development in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Talent Development in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Kaye Scholer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It seems, for the most part, that everyone from the staff to attorneys really enjoy the people that they are working with. I feel valued as part of the staff, which is not always the case for teams that don't directly bring in any revenue for a company. The benefits are good too.

Cons

My cons are more position based. The only con I can think of is the accounting department might be a bit slow at times since most of those operations are based in Tallahassee.

"Essentially the same as any other big firm that doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaye Scholer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Half way decent hours for a big firm, nice building, compensation is good.

Cons

Overwork, stress, etc. All of which are common in big firms. Very poor advancement opportunities. Benefits aren't good.

Advice to Management

Institute reviews of Partners by the associates who work for them.