KeyW Reviews | Glassdoor

KeyW President and Chief Executive Officer William J. Weber
William J. Weber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • CEO focused on stock price and not on employees (in 5 reviews)

• There's a huge lack of communication, not just virtical in the organization, but even horizontal (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at KeyW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, big enough to provide lots of opportunities, but small enough that you know most of the people you work with on a daily basis. It still feels fun even though the company is bigger. There have been big changes in upper management but the new top team seems to be unified and they communicate with employees frequently, there's lots of information about what's going on. Also, managers in the company seem to get regular management training which doesn't happen in most companies.

Cons

There's not much mixing with the new company we acquired, Sotera. I would like to learn more about them

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and keep up the communication. People like me like to know what's going on.

Feb 26, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review. We like to hear about what we're doing well... and I'd like to comment on the efforts we've made in the past few months toward "mixing it up" with the newest members of the... More

2. "KeyW is good and getting better"

I have been working at KeyW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people from top to bottom. Good benefits, great technical work and projects. New senior leaders have cleaned up the company and have it on the right path.

Cons

Middle management communication isn't the best. Company is still stove-piped in certain areas as a result of growth through acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Force middle management to communicate more to rank and file. Continue to explain changes and be transparent with employees.

"Meh"

I worked at KeyW full-time

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits. The CEO did say that you could contact him.

Cons

Gob was not a good fit. Only issue was a lack of communication as to what job skills where needed for the contract.

Advice to Management

Be better at describing the job before offering entry level position. While some aspects of the job where as the job was described, the basic skills needed for the job where not described.

4. "Good Company, good people"

I have been working at KeyW full-time

Pros

Friendly, casual yet professional environment. Very dedicated staff top to bottom. Everyone I worked with worked hard, smart and tirelessly to get the job done. Very flexible on working from home as an option. Very good HR department, good benefits and PTO, and good 401k match.

Cons

Lack of effective communication and active collaboration between geographically dispersed teams is generating an unhealthy "us vs. them" mentality.

Advice to Management

Suggest top leadership to a better job of recognizing outstanding work at both the contract level and corporate support. Incentivize exceptional team and individual performance with spot bonuses.

5. "Reception/Admin"

Current Employee - Reception/Administrative in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Reception/Administrative in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KeyW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company
    Great staff
    Everyone is so helpful
    Get to multi task and do projects for different departments
    Learn something new every day
    Mobility program allows you yo grow with in company
    Definitely somewhere i would want to work long term

Cons

wish i lived a little closer but overall commute is not that bad
    salary is low for my position

"Significant changes not for the positive"

I have been working at KeyW full-time

Pros

There are talented hard-working individuals who care about the mission and producing a quality product

Cons

As someone who has been with the company for several years, it's been very disheartening to see all of the changes. The last 2 years have been a significant change from the prior culture. The focus is too heavily centered around being a publicly traded company, the stock price and being a "pure play" large contractor. Benefit changes without appropriate communication. As a Senior, I'm often sent inquiries about employment and I can tell you. We went from having an A+ package to a C+ package at best. All the functional departments have had 100% turn over, causing confusion and chaos. HR and Recruiting used to be the most responsive 2-3 years ago now it seems they lack the leadership to follow through, be knowledgeable and provide minimal customer service needed. Contracts POCs have changed on a monthly basis. Constant turnover in HR, Recruiting, Contracts, Security. There is constant talk about the attrition and unhealthy nature of the culture. Leadership is no longer accessible.

Advice to Management

Find a balance between being competitive and taking care of your employees. Don't just talk about it. Actions speak way louder than words. Figure out why your employees are leaving. Don't always talk about the investors b/c at the end of the day it's the workers in the field doing the work.

"Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KeyW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-Workers are good and mostly easy to get along with. Some company events were fun and good coffee.

Cons

Upper management C/level get all the privileges. They take their entire family to the ravens suite, week after week and all the baseball games. They get the best lunches.

The tickets never trickle down to anyone. So many hard working employees that go above and beyond so it would be nice to see some employees get the benefits.

Advice to Management

When a project is ending transfer the employee to another open spot or let them interview, don't just let go of them.

Feb 26, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. The more we learn about how we are doing, and what our employees think about how we do things... the better we will be.

I'd like to respond directly to... More

"I worked multiple positions; some were great, others were not"

I have been working at KeyW full-time

Pros

Most people are friendly and passionate about what they are doing.

Cons

If you didn't work in close proximity to upper management, you'd be forgotten and probably never promoted

"Publicly Traded Company"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbia, MD

I have been working at KeyW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Keyw enabled me to work on a gov't contract that provided substantive long-term work.

Cons

Keyw has changed significantly in my 5+ years, I believe for financial reasons. This is the risk of working for a company that is working for the shareholders. Stock is currently very low. Retirement benefits have been cut back with no regard for tenure. Raises are minimal. Bonuses come once or twice a year, and effective 2% raise.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as liabilities. Fix recruiting. Stop trying to sugar coat difficult decisions, it only alienates your employees.

Feb 26, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review- the more we know, the more we can make sure we're focusing on what really matters to employees.

I value the opinions of folks who have been "on the bus" for 5+ years, so I... More

"Overhead groups are flying by the seat of their pants"

I have been working at KeyW full-time

Pros

Haven't experienced a "pro" yet

Cons

I belonged to a company that KeyW purchased spring of 2017. Because I work "offsite", I really didn't notice pros or cons until open enrollment season started in November. Starting then, there were many bumps, mistakes, ambiguities, and some flat-out errors. I can deal with these, but the big con is when the overhead groups (HR, benefits, payroll, help desk) stonewall the employees. Many questions sent in email went ignored/unanswered/unacknowledged or took days/weeks to answer. This phenomenon continues to this day following the completion of the "merge". Simple, direct questions are ignored or answers are a long time coming. What should be a simple, direct, and speedy exchange becomes a frustrating, drawn-out process.

Advice to Management

The overhead groups (HR, benefits , payroll, help desk) are either overwhelmed or just don't care. Not sure which. A return to customer service basics (your employees are, in part, the customers of these groups, correct? ) is sorely needed

Feb 26, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your honesty. As the person responsible for a large portion of the support team that you did not feel supported by, this is painful to read. But it's important that you share-- and I'd... More