Keypath Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Fireng

Pros
  • It is a great work life balance as well (in 7 reviews)

• There are some really great people you'll work with, if upper management doesn't scare them away (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not hire enough people in most areas which lends to a poor work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• I do know that there are a couple of teams that don't enjoy the forward-thinking, work-life-balance, visionary support I do (in 5 reviews)

"Look elsewhere first, company and industry facing serious challenges"

Current Employee - Marketing in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Keypath Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In 3+ years with the company, I've gained great experience.

People were great.
    Casual, collaborative environment to develop skills.
    Some teams and managers more flexible than others.
    Summer hours and additional week of PTO during the holidays.

Cons

Another recent restructuring of the company with another layoff. 5 layoffs during my tenure, which leaves you constantly wondering if you're next.

In the last 3 years I lost a lot of respect for the leadership and their vision and direction for the company. Not all the blame can be placed on leadership, however, with the industry facing significant challenges.

Typically paid well below market average and in comparison to other local agencies.

Things might get better in Lenexa but you can never be sure since you've heard it before.

Advice to Management

With the recent change and re-focus on marketing separate from OPM, I truly hope you can deliver on promises to stabilize the business, restore some of the culture and reward employees accordingly.

I hope Lenexa and Keypath both weather the storm.

Feb 27, 2017 – CEO

Not going to sugar coat this the company has gone through a lot of changes the past three years. And I agree the industry is facing many challenges. As you mentioned we have had two divisions held ... More

"Change can be good. In this case, it wasn't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Keypath Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Broken record, here , but the reality is that there are/were a lot of great people working at Keypath. People who put in really stressful hours doing far too much work, but they still made it fun and a place I loved to work.

Cons

A lot of the things that I would have listed as Pros even 5 years ago are slowly turning to cons. I used to say "I like and respect the people I work for", but by the time I left, I felt very marginalized considering the time I put in (10+ years). I felt like my work didn't matter, and my extended loyalty to the company didn't matter. The benefits continued to dwindle, and my favorite benefit, their very strong 401K, was basically cut in half with no thought towards the people (very few by then) that were actually fully committed and could possibly have been grandfathered in.

Advice to Management

Your people matter. They are real humans that will respond in kind if you treat them with respect, appreciate their experience and loyalty to company. I know that the industry is taking some serious hits, and a lot of adjustments have been made, but this was a good company full of very hard working people, and by the end I felt disrespected and small. It was a toxic environment. I honestly thought I would never leave, but in the end, I knew I had to. Several months later, there was another layoff, that I know I would've been a part of. That feeling of "am I next?" is a soul crusher when it comes to trying to stay positive, loyal, and motivated. Yes. Make business decisions, but think long and hard about how things might be done that can enforce and benefit from your people.

"They'll work you to death and then punish you"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Keypath Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Might be ok if you're not in finance. There are some really great people you'll work with, if upper management doesn't scare them away.

Cons

Don't expect any of the perks that everyone is promised. Work life balance is lacking and upper management is more than happy to take away any perks like flex Fridays or telecommuting if they feel like it. Meanwhile upper management will take their vacation while you work yourself into an early grave.

Advice to Management

If you're going to offer perks in a job like weeks off, flex Fridays or telecommuting, you should make sure those things are honored. Also treat employees like adults, we are not children that need to be micromanaged and punished. A little appreciation goes a long way.

Apr 14, 2017 – EVP

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. We certainly acknowledge that the Finance team has gone through a lot of transitions and integration work over the last year that impacted the ability ... More

"Great Start-Up. A Ton of Potential."

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Keypath Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Keypath for over a year now. I work in the Admissions Department. I have worked in higher education for over 14 years and I can say that Keypath has been one of the best companies I have ever worked for and I plan on being here for many years to come.

Pros:
    - Great Culture! We have the Culture Club which host a monthly company wide event, which usually involves food!
    - Everyone has an open door policy and all managers are very supportive
    - Our CEO rocks!
    - The fact that it's a start up is exciting. Many of us have been able to launch new schools and programs and work closely with our partners.

Cons

We aren't perfect but we strive to be great!

- We are very lean. We need more levels built into the admissions team.
    - There is very little accountability.
    - More flexibility with hours
    - Compensation needs to increase and be more competitive to draw in the best

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I think we are doing some amazing things here at Keypath! With that being said, please take the time to make sure your teams are healthy and functioning properly.

Feb 27, 2017 – CEO

Really appreciate the kind words. Since you are in Chicago I assume you are speaking about our OPM group. I agree this has been an exciting beginning. In less than three years we have added ... More

"Avoid."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Keypath Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They try to do cool things for their employees? I guess?

Cons

Super cliquey employees
    Frequent layoffs
    Everybody is looking out for their own skin, and will throw you under the bus.

Feb 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for comments and sorry you feel this way. We are always trying to improve the experience. Good luck in your future endeavors.

"Why be so defensive?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Keypath Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pro of working at Keypath is that there are some good people who share a strong work ethic.

Cons

The EDU industry is in turmoil, and they are so late to the game in shifting into online program management, that it's going to be very hard to sustain over the long haul. Most of the smart people who were poised to go get better jobs have left the company. I hope that management takes care of the loyal people who are still riding the ship. They deserve to be treated well.

Advice to Management

I'm reading some of the reviews, and I find it odd that the CEO takes time to comment, but his answers are quite defensive. My advice to management is to really hear some of this negative feedback and try to use it to make the company a better place to work.

Feb 27, 2017 – CEO

I really don't want to come across defensive, but appreciate the feedback. Hard sometimes to balance being passionate about our plans and defend what is sometimes inaccurate. I do take these ... More

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Intern in Lenexa, KS

Pros

They give you real projects to work on instead of busy work. They also looped me in on long-term projects and invited me to meetings even though I was only there a short time.

Cons

Pay is low. Full-time employees had even warned me of it. It's a great place to gain experience but not stay long-term because of the pay.

"Amazing Place To Work"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Keypath Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Keypath for a few months now and so far it has been the best company I have ever worked for. There are many reasons that I love this company and I have brought a few employees over from my last place of employment. Coming from the for profit education cut throat industry this is a wonderful change. Some of the main reasons I love this company are listed below.
    1. The lower cost of insurance benefits
    2. The overall low stress work environment
    3. The vacation plan
    4. The 95210 program
    5. The ice machine ( I know it sounds funny but people love the ice machine)
    6. The monthly events
    7. Weekends off ( well now only having to work 1 Sat. a month)
    8. The friendly and welcoming staff
    9. Paid time off for the holidays without having to use vacation time
    10. No micro managing
    11. Extremely supportive upper management
    12. Very competitive pay
    13. Being able to somewhat create your own schedule
    14. Working with a Christian non-profit University
    15. The simple fact that everyone here truly cares

Cons

The only downside that I can think of is that it is in Palatine and it is a long drive from where I live but to work for a company like this it is completely worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!!

Feb 27, 2017 – CEO

Wow, very nice comments. 15 things! I will continue to strive to build this company and keep adding to your list. Thanks again and good luck

"Apply, but don't expect much"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Keypath Education (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the casual environment, and the fact you can get a ton of good experience and wear a lot of different hats are all pros. I loved that Keypath let me experiement with some different roles and get some good experience. I would say to anyone considering a career here to apply, get a paycheck, but focus on building your skill set and keep an ear out for any additional opportunities. The best way I could describe the place is that it's a good 'first job' or a decent place to work if you just need a paycheck, but keep in mind that despite how nice the people in Lenexa are, to the staff in Chicago you're just another number and can be thrown out at anytime.

Cons

Impossible profit targets, chronic understaffing combined with layoffs and then hiring blitzes. Doesn't seem to be a clear business strategy. Prepare to work a lot and not expect much help in the form of additional team members, and when you do get them, they will nearly always be 22 year olds out of college with no experience, so you'll have to train them on top of your job.

Thanks for you comments

"It's fine. Just fine."

Former Employee - Client Services in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Client Services in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Keypath Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's marketing. You will work with, yes, "fun people!"
    Free soda.
    Free candy.
    Free parking.
    Many employee engagement events.
    Pay is low compared to other agencies in KC.

Cons

--This isn't exactly working in higher education for say, Harvard or even UMKC. This is placing radio spots for Brown Mackie College.
    --Read up on the type of client for-profit colleges/schools are. See if you agree with the business model. This will be how you spend your days and sometimes nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

None really. We had a good quid-pro-quo relationship. I did good work for you while I was there. You paid me on time, every time. It's all fine. I hope the company does well.

Feb 27, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for feedback. We do value our clients even though many of the schools are places you may not have heard of. While there are some bad actors in the For-Profit space, many of these schools ... More