KnowledgeAdvisors Reviews | Glassdoor

Kent Barnett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Accounting"

I worked at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

Great culture, great leadership, respect for all employees

Cons

Acquisition by another company changed everything

Advice to Management

Too bad that the company was acquired and put the wrong people in charge

2. "Cliquey Training Survey Company"

I worked at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

Focused company on core product of surveys and assessments of training (which they call "learning"). Develop partnerships with outside experts that provide can credibility to company. Great sales trips.

Cons

Micromanagement. More tenured employees have more weight than newer employees with more experience. Therefore, tenure is what lasts, and experience leaves. Cliquey - if you are not part of the clique, you will not fit in. "Mean girls" clique make you feel unwelcome, and make up issues. First week of employment manager wanted to confirm that I drank alcohol. Alcohol big part of culture. No true HR department/roles. People with HR roles also have business roles that are bigger part of their job, and their primary focus. If you report to them, no HR to talk to.

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight. Do not micromanage.

3. "Great company"

I worked at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

Challenging work, great people, learn a lot. Flexible schedule and good benefits. Ability to take on a lot of responsibility at any level.

Cons

Not all leaders on the same page causing conflict and confusion. Tendency to escalate issues to the highest level instead of speaking directly to each other.

Advice to Management

Work together toward a common goal

"Happy to be with KA. Hard work pays off."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

If you can think critically, work both independently and with a team when needed, use strong communication skills, and keep a level head when things get stressful, then you can do just great here. Interpersonal skills are a must, so most of the 'problems' I've seen here are due to individuals' shortcomings in this area.

The people here are great. Yes, we work hard and things can get frustrating/stressful (as with any job) but the camaraderie helps us get through some of the rough patches and we always make sure to try and have a bit of fun every day. Many employees are friends outside of work.

The new office space is very nice and has helped us feel more like a technology company. The location is very convenient.

There's not a rigid schedule, and nobody is ever looking over your shoulder with regard to hours (as long as you're staying on top of your work). If you need to come in late one day, or leave for an appointment in the middle of another day, there are no hoops to jump through; we're trusted to use our judgment. Also, most teams allow for a couple no-questions-asked 'work from home' days per month, which is a huge perk.

It seems like more developmental opportunities are on the way with the recent acquisition.

If you have a new idea or want to lead a project, the opportunities to share and get involved are abundant. Management is open to hearing new ideas, and leadership in its many forms is recognized.

The company events are always a blast, and we're treated well. There was a mention below that we were provided money for drinks and gambling but not food at a certain event, but that's just ridiculous; each team had funds to spend however they wanted, and there was food available. My team ate well with our funds.

Cons

Steep learning curve: the product is complex and takes a long time to learn.

Some of the benefits are getting worse with the recent acquisition.

Seems to be lower compensation than similar jobs in the area.

Yes, you do have to occasionally put in long hours, and work-life balance can sometimes fluctuate, but overall it's usually possible to avoid having to work on nights/weekends if you can manage your tasks right. Sometimes it's unavoidable though.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your teams! Make sure we feel like our concerns are being heard and addressed.

5. "Horrible - like a small sorority party where all the girls hate eachother"

I worked at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

Pay
    Office Location
    Technology

Cons

Horrible culture which is shockingly similar to freshman year of college. You'll watch colleagues get drunk and make complete fools of themselves at company events and its A-OK. Alcohol all the time.

Product is outdated and these guys may think of themselves as the gods of analytics - the truth is no one else cares. All of the major LMS guys plus a bunch of learning firms now provide the same or better technology. Certainly analytics platforms that are easier to use. This technology is niche doesn't have a major market. In fact you get this product free from a lot of firms that sell training.

They fire people often and with NO severance. Politics are ugly. Turn over central.

Advice to Management

Less alcohol would be a good idea

"A melting pot of egos and chaos. You will love it if here if you liked frats and sororities"

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is eager to appear helpful, nice and your friend. They will want to know your family history. friends and hobbies in week one.

Cons

If you are an independent thinker, if you need more support and initial instructions to understand a task so you can thoroughly understand what needs to be accomplished, or if you need support to learn a new application this IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. Its is sink or swim after the 2 weeks of on-boarding. Oh and if you want to go home and leave your work at work forget it. They expect your life to be encompassed with work. You must love to sleep, eat and breath metrics, analytics and process improvement. Vacation time is a joke.

Advice to Management

New middle management is desperately needed. All the managers and even the vice presidents need to embrace that perhaps they are not the kings of metrics.

"Good place to work...some room for improvement"

I have been working at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

There is a strong emphasis on collaboration and teaching which creates a good environment in which to learn.

Cons

Many of the employees are inexperienced or have never worked anywhere else. This leads to some strange practices in terms of managing people and/or projects.

Also, I confirm that at a company outing money for drinks and gambling was provided and food was not.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your middle managers take ownership of their work and do not push things off onto less-seasoned employees. Make people accountable for the accounts they work on and the problems that can happen.

"Challenge and Be Challenged"

I have been working at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work at KnowledgeAdvisors are by far the biggest pro. I joined KnowledgeAdvisors to be surrounded by passionate, fun, intelligent individuals with a great work ethic that will challenge me on a daily basis and are always striving to take that next step – and I have not been disappointed! Individuals genuinely care about each other and strong relationships exist on both a personal and a professional level.
    With the high growth at KnowledgeAdvisors there is a significant emphasis on learning and developing employees. This is a great company for those that valuing learning something new every day and have a desire to continuously improve.
    The company is constantly looking for and values feedback and ideas from employees at all levels. There is a strong entrepreneurial spirit and encouragement for employees to create their own paths or find their own niche.
    There is also flexibility in working arrangements with potential options for working remote.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment that is constantly changing. This company's vision is all about change - transforming the talent industry. To be successful here you need to embrace change, be able to adapt, be willing to wear different hats at different times, and change direction when needed (something I view as a pro but others may see as a con).

"Competitive pay, strong leadership, innovative minds and good work-life balance."

I have been working at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Legitimate open door policy from the CEO, who has a calm and even-keeled demeanor while still commanding respect and genuine warmth from the employees. There's a lot of really bright people working here, and the pace of product development is pretty exciting. After 5 o'clock, the place is a ghost town, which speaks to the actual legitimate work life balance KA encourages. Weekend work is pretty rare as well.

Cons

Occasional politics. I think the community/familial vibe could be stronger, though I find the earlier drinking comments really and truly bizarre. The average employee is on the younger side, so I could see this being a weird place for someone older to work. Overall, though, it's a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Spread the management out a little. KA is growing fast, and sometimes senior leadership tries to do too much themselves.

"Great Learning Opportunity"

I have been working at KnowledgeAdvisors full-time

Pros

KA has been a great learning opportunity over the years. The people I work most closely with are superb! With an evolving industry, there’s always an opportunity see things from another perspective and to try something new – sometimes things work, sometimes they don’t. But, that’s part of the fun. You have the opportunity to work with great clients and often help them solve the problems they aren’t able to on their own, which is pretty cool. This is a fast paced environment that is always changing, which makes each day an opportunity to learn something new.
    I’ve been to a variety of KA events over the past few years and appreciate the fact that there has never been any pressure to drink and always plenty of food

Cons

With any company that grows and expands there’s going to be some change that goes along with it. Some people adapt to change well and others do not, the reality is that this is consistent with any organization and life in general for that matter.