LatinWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
LatinWorks CEO Manny Flores
Manny Flores

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are some really good people in this company (in 5 reviews)

• I had a great experience working at Latinworks, great people, amazing creatives (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance depending on what department you're in, doesn't exist (in 7 reviews)

• but clients are leaving faster than the employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "Make history, don't repeat it"

Current Employee - Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once you get past the fast and furious first day, you get a chance to be what you want to be. If you are not a self-starter this might seem like a rough place at first, but if you are, you can take your job as far as you want to. Some people don’t like change, but advertising is changing every day. It may seem crazy, but it's also new and challenging. As much as I want to take on I get but I need to manage what I ask for.

Cons

We don’t get asked, usually we are told what is available and offered. But in case you are interested, the things I feel are needed:
    -More training opportunities
    -Need a clear growth path
    -Need for my voice to be heard more

Advice to Management

It is easy to throw out a list of things that are not great at any agency, and Latinworks has its share. So did the agency I came from, but the difference I see is that there appears to be an effort by senior management and owners to make some changes and I believe change will happen. Maybe its slower than I would like, but change none the less. I hope that management takes the time to listen to all of us while charting our course, that is where the difference can become positive. Make us part of the adjustment. Not listening leads to a repeat of history, not creating it.

"Look Again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time

Pros

High profile. Good industry rep. Very creative shop. In Austin.

Cons

Better days are in past. Morale is bad. Everyone's paranoid, distrustful.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people. Look beyond short term profits.

"Mediocre"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time since most clients are
    leaving. Owner has political connections so government accounts paying fat fees continue
    holding this place up.

Cons

No perspective whatsoever. No culture, no thinking, no creativity this is what is left when bureaucrats have it their way.

Advice to Management

Won’t give any. They aint worth it.

"Not horrible, not great"

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people
    -The culture
    -Atmosphere
    -Work environment
    -Decent benefits

Cons

-Poor management
    -Bad work-life balance
    -Not enough positive rewards for good work

Advice to Management

I think the reason why everyone leaves has to do with management. Managers are not properly trained after getting promoted and furthermore, they do not help with the "busy work." Too many people have too much on their plate and do not get proper support from their managers. I also think upper management has to STOP being so political. You may think your employees don't know about your fights, your lies, etc. but they do and it just makes them lose respect for you. Be honest--if you're letting someone go, don't say they retired, everyone knows the truth anyway. If you're having financial trouble, be honest with everyone instead of pretending everything is OK.

"Dysfunction Junction"

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking, location, modern office space, snack cart with beer, breakfast tacos.

If you want to work totally independently with no management or oversight or accountability - this place is perfect for you. Just know that you also won't get support, loyalty, stability or any job mobility with that 'pro'.

Cons

Dysfunctional relationships and business behavior begins with the senior "leadership" team and permeates through every level of the organization. The business is actually failing. They regularly put lipstick on the pig and most people go along with it because 1. they can't find a job anywhere else or 2. they can't face reality or 3. don't give a damn.

Terrible health benefits.

The reputation of the agency has been in steady decline for several years. So has their revenue. They get contracts by underbidding, not by their creative brand.

The 'friendly' environment isn't genuine. Co-workers regularly stab each other in the back to advance their personal status. It's just an ugly work environment.

Advice to Management

Sell and let real leaders take it over and try to salvage it all.

"Just awful. Stay away!"

I worked at LatinWorks full-time

Pros

Most "positives" disappeared when the former chief creative officer left, followed by many of the great people that used to populate this company. The only good thing about this agency is that it is located in my favorite city. But you can go to so many other creative shops in Austin instead that will treat you with respect, as well as promote real innovation and career advancement (i.e. McGarrah Jessee, Preacher, Bakery, T3, Razorfish)

Cons

This agency had its problems before the former creative leader left, but after his departure it became clear he was holding the agency's culture together by himself.

This company has become a petty, mean girl-esque environment that produces mediocre work. The gossip culture has seeped down from management and into the bones of the team.

Most of the capable creatives have left and the ones left are either eyeing the door or have become big-headed with big fish, little pond syndrome.

"Strategy" here is essentially a hustle, devoid of real professionals that can add value to their clients.

They pay vendors late, so working again with a group you liked can become impossible.

Management is delusional, secretive and crude. They run a Texan good ol' boy schtick on the surface, but are piranhas that will turn on their own whenever convenient. The two principals can't stand each other and are rarely around. They've turned the agency into a Billings sweatshop, so forget about going home every night. Instead of fixing the culture problem–and being well aware of the large group of ex-employees who still get together and discuss how they drove this agency into the ground–management conducts exit interviews where they attempt to muscle people into not discussing the agency's circumstances once out the door. They're such hoodlums that it took me months to work up the courage to post this for fear of them knowing who wrote the review and exacting revenge of some kind.

Advice to Management

Close up shop and turn the building into a WeWork style business, renting out desk time. You're lost and your egos have driven you mad.

"Scene 1, Saving Private Ryan"

Former Employee - Art Director
    Former Employee - Art Director

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1- Well, you're not unemployed. Wait. OH GOD *commence layoffs*
    2- Big name clients for the resume
    3- Worker bees are all wonderful people

Cons

1- Paid like your job is cleaning a toilet with a toothbrush (respect to all toilet toothbrush cleaners tho)
    2- Growth = have you ever tried to physically change your location while on a treadmill?
    3- The total market is swallowing Hispanic agencies
    4- As organized as the backpack of a 12 year old who DEFINITELY has ADHD
    5- Clients always want you to prove the work is Hispanic enough. This is not progressive thinking. No, I will not add frijoles to the spot.
    6- General state of apathy

Advice to Management

Genuinely consider what is best for the kind people who work for you. If you are going to alter the agencies offering, involve them in the process. And pay them what they're worth.

"Fundamentally Broken"

I worked at LatinWorks full-time

Pros

After being with the company for 6 months of so you'll learn how solid and predictable everything is: clients will leave, the best people will jump ship, you will follow orders and take abuse, tacos and layoffs. I arrived at Latinworks in the end of 2014, on my first day 15 people were laid off. They said it was over.

Layoffs continued for all of 2015 and 2016, almost every 3 months until my boss called me on December 23 during the holiday break to wish me a merry xmas and let me go. Another 10 people received this "special" xmas gift from Latinworks last year. They are now down to less than 50 people and in deep trouble so BEWARE!

Cons

Can you imagine what happens to morale and camaraderie when there is always a layoff coming? For two years I witnessed good people breaking down, fighting and pointing fingers afraid to be exposed, admit a mistake and be the next on the list. I grew tired of it and started to share my frustration, complain about the poor management. My husband and I had decided I was going to quit in 2017 but they beat me to it.

Advice to Management

When you have a rotten professional ethic that comes across in the work. Your company will shut down if you dont get out of the way.

"Good people. Bad place."

Former Employee - Creative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Creative in Austin, TX

I worked at LatinWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very slow paced environment.
    Really good people still there.
    Good accounts.
    Free beer and tacos almost every week.
    Free coffee.

Cons

The agency keeps moving like a chicken with no head. Since he former executive creative director left the agency, things are not going well there. Clients are leaving, poor client management, too much idle time, and too much turnaround. It's not a very steady working place.

Advice to Management

None. They would not listen anyway.

"Pivoting from advertising"

I have been working at LatinWorks full-time

Pros

There's a clear movement underway in this place: they are slowly but surely getting rid of all creative and strategy to build a strong finance department.

They are done with clients that want ideas too - cause they have a better one: if they get read of that chaos, questioning and noise that creative people make, then they'll have a nice, quiet and predictable environment where all the finance people can process their receipts, invoices and stuff.

They are very focused and moving fast.

Cons

Nice architecture, open floor plan with many many empty desks on one side of the building. The other side hosts the lavish offices where executives can spend their days away from all the mess and depressing morale that dominates the peasant area.

Advice to Management

Stop procrastinating and finish the revolution. Come out. Embrace your vocation and make Latinworks the best accounting firm in the 78734 zipcode! Consider venturing into other areas like doing tax returns!