Layer Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron Palmeri

"co-founder here. howdy!"

Current Employee - Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Layer is a deep messaging stack as a service that powers rich communications in Web and mobile applications - much like Stripe or PayPal’s Braintree have done for in-app payments, or Google as done for Maps.

Its all the functionality of a Facebook Messenger or iMessage, but designed to integrate natively into the custom app experience of our customer. recently Facebook has been positioning Messenger as a commerce engagement platform by encouraging brands to give the customer relationship to them.

we powers a similar experience in the direct channel for companies that don’t want to give up their customer (identity, UX and data) to Facebook or another messaging platform.

its very challenging work on the engineering side and an exciting time to be working in this area.

Cons

like any early stage company trying to make its mark on a huge market, there are a lot of twists and turns/ups and downs. we've made immense progress, but startups aren't for everyone.

as others wake up to the vision of what we're doing, things are going to get really exciting.

Advice to Management

be excellent to each other.

"Bad Management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Layer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can over-engineer anything.
    The office is nice.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to you.
    Lack of direction/vision.
    Negative vibe in the office.
    Inhumane attitude between coworkers.
    They will burn you out (no concept of productivity, all that counts is # of hours).

Advice to Management

Stop backstabbing people.
    Be more truthful to your employees.
    Don't promise what you can't deliver.

"I feel like I won the lottery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Layer (Less than a year)

Pros

Since the day I interviewed, I have been smiling from ear to ear. The people here are unbelievably nice and helpful. My first day I sat in on a meeting where the CEO, a potential customer, was so impressed with the product that he came in to find out what the problem was. The product is amazing. I feel lucky and grateful to be working here. We have catered lunch three days a week which is healthy and delicious.

Cons

I have, yet, to find issue, but I've only been here a month. I would love it if we had lunch catered 5 times a week but no need to shorten the runway for my gluttony.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I appreciate how transparent everything is.

"Great team, great product, great outlook!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Very competent engineers, defined road map, huge market opportunity, seasoned execs, well funded, high transparency. + Collaborative atmosphere, pretty office, catered lunches, lucrative equity packages. Work hard, work smart flat hierarchy.

Cons

Like with any young startup there have been a few pivots, and there was a more streamlined restructuring (late 2015). Not a negative thing, a reality of being a funded startup in Silicon Valley.

"More opportunity than I've ever seen, coupled with an incredibly capable team"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Layer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Layer has an amazing idea - power the communications in every mobile and web service. Everyone who hears the idea - customers, in particular - agrees and demand is off the charts. Then there's the team. I've never seen such phenomenal talent together on one team. It's early innings for this company, but the opportunity is massive.

Cons

Honestly and truly, this company is great. The team is aligned toward a common goal. There are no apparent cons.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the opportunity in front of us. If we keep executing the way we have been, the sky's the limit.

"Like a second family"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Layer full-time

Pros

In my past I had a chance to work at big companies, small ones, well established companies and start-ups — either the teams were too big and cumbersome, ruined by bureaucracy, or too small and naive to make a dent in the industry. I was just trying to find the sweet-spot and I think I found it at Layer. In my career I've never grown so fast as I did here. I have the chance to work and help invent great technologies and an opportunity to grow. It's where I always have a chance to be heard and make an impact — everything that was difficult to achieve in my previous employments. The product we're building keeps getting better and better, and it's so satisfying seeing the numbers grow as we deliver. Team is practically like a second family which has a nice mixture of introverts and extroverts, funny and intelligent people that I can always look up to. I don't think I'd want to be anywhere else.

Cons

There are a lot of other start-ups that share their well instituted business model. With Layer the territory we're in is relatively new, which makes it the kind of a company that has to make its own mistakes to learn and grow — which is sometimes scary, but exciting.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency going. But more importantly, make sure people are satisfied with their positions, ask until you get an honest answer, otherwise you're doing a terrible job.

"Build something big"

I have been working at Layer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A legit business idea with insane potential. No shortage of technical challenges (if you don't see this as a "pro" then work elsewhere), all solvable. Incredibly smart & talented team. A "use the right tool for the job" mentality.

Cons

You can't build this overnight, and this work is not for the weary. Do it because you love it. This is not a 9-to-5 situation.

"Not worth it"

Pros

No one will use your work

Cons

Not trustworthy management, all positive reviews are fake

Advice to Management

Stop adding fake reviews

9. "Best clients/long hours"

Current Intern - Internship in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Internship in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Layer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Clients, young motivated team, new studio, incredible projects... social events, international team, inspiring environment

Cons

General office work, answering phone, serving drinks to clients, checking mails,
    Tough reviews, long hours, work on weekends

Advice to Management

Improve organisation, hire people for general office tasks, avoid weekends and late nights, better hardware, more screens