Linode Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Aker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Linode full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly growing company with positive culture in a great industry. Flexible work hours, option to work remotely a few times a week, catered lunch every wednesday (always great food), very affordable health insurance, a 401k with some matching. Not to mention a beautiful workplace in an awesome location in Old City.

Cons

As others have mentioned, Linode is definitely experiencing some growing pains since they've been expanding so quickly in the last few years. There is a lot of work to do in terms of communication, but they are heading in the right direction on this with things like quarterly all-hands meetings and setting universal goals for the company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Overall I have a lot of faith that Linode will continue to grow and succeed.

2. "Committed to Employee Growth"

I have been working at Linode full-time

Pros

Linode is an amazing place to work. Even though we are growing faster then we have seats, leadership has remained steadfast in developing the internal talent pool. From my highly versatile teammates in support to the next generation of k8 engineers, I am looking forward to being at Linode until I retire.

Cons

The company has gone from a 40 person operation to a 200+ person operation in less than a year. Like any transitioning company, it is going through manageable, albeit real, growing pains.

Advice to Management

Trust the compass. Navigating in periods of growth is hard on any entity, much less one in an industry known for constantly challenging boundaries.

"An Unforgettable Experience"

Former Employee - Security Engineer in Galloway, NJ
    Former Employee - Security Engineer in Galloway, NJ

I worked at Linode (More than 3 years)

Pros

During my ~4 1/2 year tenure at Linode I held 3 positions and was able to watch the company go through several transformations, and even though I have chosen to leave the company, my time at Linode was unforgettable and will forever have a place in my heart. If you are willing to push yourself, Linode will help you grow. If you're willing to step outside your comfort zone, the people there care and will help you go where you want to go in your career. I've walked away from Linode with more memories and skills than I ever expected, and I had the best experience of my professional career within their walls.

Above everything else Linode promises, the company's biggest pro in my opinion is that it's full of people who truly care about both the company's well being and others who work there. Heart, soul, sweat and tears have gone into transforming the company into what it is today and you feel it the second you walk in the building. Love for the industry and passion for innovation fuel the company, and it continues to remain loyal to it's core market. I've made both lifelong friends and professional contacts who I would trust my life with, and the lessons I have learned from my coworkers continue to prove invaluable.

When the chips are down and it really counts, Linode steps up and the people there will be there for you. Heart and passion hold real weight and, sadly, it's not a common theme in companies. Things get done because people care, and you're given enough freedom to get what matters most taken care of without worrying about blockers. The term "love" doesn't usually come up when I think about a position, but it's the first word that comes to mind when I think about my time at Linode.

In conclusion, Linode is an amazing place to work. It offers a unique environment that lets you thrive and grow if you're willing to motivate yourself, and is full of people who help you along the way. Caker, Tom, Tory, Rick and everyone down actually care about the company and the people, and it shows. If you can keep yourself motivated and are ready to put in the effort to grow professionally, Linode is the perfect choice. I will always love this company and hold the who work here in the highest regard.

Cons

Cohesion between teams was lacking, but from my understanding new processes are being constructed to facilitate this. Teamwide "blame games" shouldn't happen but occurred more frequently than I care to mention. "You can't get any work done if one hand is patting yourself on the back and the other is jerking yourself off"

In my personal opinion, technical knowledge is undervalued (but this is probably a personal opinion rather than a facto or true con).

Career development assistance is lacking and typically comes from self motivated individuals or teammates (it's more of a missed opportunity to improve than a con.)

Advice to Management

While I understand morale is a huge factor in running a successful team, applauding menial accomplishments should really cease as it takes away from real achievements.

Lastly, adding arbitrary middle management levels tends to be a continuing theme that should only happen when they actually mean something.

Additionally, I feel that mediocrity is tolerated for longer than needed before corrective action is taken.

"Intensive working environment with a so/so work culture"

I worked at Linode full-time

Pros

Catering, work group events, meetup groups, etc. This is definitely somewhere to learn and get better.

Cons

The work culture didn't feel welcoming. Didn't feel valued working with them. My co-workers were great to work with, however higher ups were not as great.

5. "Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Linux Technical Support in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Linux Technical Support in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Linode full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great place to work. You get recognized for your work and are in a really great environment for learning and collaboration. The pay is really great, and you have a lot of opportunities to improve and advance.

Cons

Not really any problems honestly in my experience.

"Data Center Operations Engineer"

I have been working at Linode full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, think outside the box, exposure to many things

Cons

Limited technology, only use open source, certain departments bully new employees, lack of management and vision in certain departments

Advice to Management

Take ITIL training, organize and structure leadership, mentor new employees with seniors

7. "Noob"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Linode full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Industry and People and the nicest office in Philadelphia

Cons

To early for the cons will revealuate

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great Job in the middle of nowhere"

I worked at Linode full-time

Pros

Progressive company (Respects all races and genders!!!)
    Good salary for location
    Bosses who care and listen

Cons

Need more employees in all departments, including leadership
    Need more locations to work from (Remote would do wonders)
    Need dedicated lunch for night crew of Support, oftentimes people will greedily eat all of the catered lunch.

Advice to Management

You guys rock, I just wish you would give the employees more tools to get things done. Some of it is out of your reach, such as not enough manpower, but then please don't expect things do be done quickly when it's not able to be given. Burn out is too powerful.

"Challenging and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Linode full-time

Pros

Strong team with good rapport and skill in various areas of development. The software we build is also interesting to work on and the whole team is involved in decision making. Everyone works well with each other, and new employees get into the stride of things quickly. Company is moving away from an ancient codebase and is willing to trust developers with the direction and tech of new code.

Cons

Having to live in New Jersey. Atmosphere with other teams can be a bit rough. CEO is not willing to budge on remote work. Fixed hours even for devs is silly, but not enforced. CEO has historically not done right by the company, but is clearly turning a new leaf.

Advice to Management

Work more carefully to keep employees happy outside of the dev team.

"Best In the industry"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Galloway, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Galloway, NJ

I have been working at Linode full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is amazing. I relocated just to work for this company. They did everything they could to make the transition to the new area as easy for me as possible. Once I started working there I found that the companies primary goal was to have the customers walk away with the best experience they could. I believed this was attacked by management by making the employees happy. The benefits are out of this world. I pay pretty much nothing for any heath care. There are co-pays but the get reimbursed within a few weeks. You'll never go hungry. There is always food in the fridge, and snacks all over the place. Its a laid back atmosphere. A great environment to learn and get better with anything technical. I can't imagine another place that could top this one.

Cons

Living in New Jersey. When I first started working here I brought my significate other. I was put on a less than desirable shift which cause many issues with my relationship that might not be able to be repaired at this point.

Advice to Management

When moving someone with a family, it may be a good idea to let them settle in before putting them on a shift that could cause issues with their family.