LocalEdge Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
LocalEdge President, Revenue & Operations Mike Deluca
Mike Deluca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You’ll meet a lot of great people while working here and make a lot of friends" (in 13 reviews)

• "Good Benefits, Fast Advancement, Many Products" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management still learning to understand purpose and benefit of leveraging the Quality Dept" (in 17 reviews)

• "No one listens to your concerns" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Income Potential"

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Erie, PA

I have been working at LocalEdge (More than 3 years)

Pros

The amount of money we make in this market is crazy to other jobs in our industry. The Erie manager is fantastic. She is a challenger and pushes you to succeed. Great benefits (health Insurance, Vacations, Excused Absence Time).

Cons

It's a tough work load. Lots of tasks to juggle. Makes you learn to be organized. It is sales.

Advice to Management

More fantastic digital products to grow our current book of business and expand our reach into our communities.

2. "fine"

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time

Pros

flexible, layback, work environment is good, and people are nice

Cons

money not good enough in this area

"How are they still in business?"

Former Employee - Operations in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Operations in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good stepping stone. Get experience and get out.

Cons

Terrible management. The same VP whose ineptitude and pettiness cascade down through the organization is still in place. Pay is poor, work is stressful, culture is toxic, products are antiquated and reflective of an inability to retain and develop talented, creative people. Business model is predatory, offering over-priced, mediocre-to-poor products to small businesses who know they need to advertise, but know very little about what good marketing entails. Honestly, you could find a better web designer on Craigslist.

Advice to Management

Pay people more money, treat them better, and modernize. Cut the dinosaurs loose, or just fold the company.

4. "OK First job"

I worked at LocalEdge full-time

Pros

friendly coworkers and lasting friendships

Cons

antiquated business models, micromanaging, outdated advertising solutions

"Full Disclosure- Former SVP Sales Review"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President Sales
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President Sales

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Any strong sales rep with a good work ethic is/can make 6 figures. Given the LE sales team is located in small markets, this makes our employees some of the top earners in their cities. While you'll read mixed reviews, we have done employee satisfaction surveys every year. The results are overwhelmingly positive. The employee reviews are far more trustworthy than what you'll find on review sites. Amazing group of sales managers who partner well with the sales reps. Average rep digital sales results are up over 500% when compared to 5 years prior. Strong exec leadership team that truly care about the employees. Most importantly, in addition to being great sales professionals, some of the best people you could be around. Strong digital product performance has led to the lowest client churn in the industry. Presidents club trip, benefits, opportunity for upward advancement, etc.

Cons

In order to be successful reps must sell new YP advertising in 2018. While the YP results in the small markets LE serves provide a great ROI to the advertiser, the perceived YP usage makes this part of the job brutal. I am in awe of our sales team that sells new YP advertising successfully. While it can be done, it's not easy and not for faint of heart. Competitors in the YP and local digital space are struggling, proving the difficulty of winning in this industry. While LE continues to succeed and has a bright future, this is not an easy sales position.

Advice to Management

I'll miss working with you but happy to get off the road and be around family. Best of luck!!!

6. "Great people, bad company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company gets it's worth from the people you see and interact with on a daily basis. Met some really cool people during my time here.

Cons

Unfortunately thats because management at the company is (generally) terrible. Towards the end of my time here I began to seriously question the decisions of management. Reasons for decisions never trickled down and getting a heads up before a big project with a strict deadline NEVER happened. You constantly get hit with something out of left field that completely steals all your focus for the next few weeks and management has no intention of changing that.

Advice to Management

What advice do you give to the people that are the problem? Do better? Quit so the company can hire better people? Talented people don't stay long at places with poor management...

7. "Horrible Conditions"

Former Employee - Media Sales
    Former Employee - Media Sales

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commission was lucrative pay scale

Cons

Made you dial at least 50-100 business within a 1.5 hour period

8. "Great for Entry Level"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for to get your foot in the door to the marketing industry if you are an entry level candidate. Management tries to be progressive with conveniences such as flex time and a not so strict dress code.

Cons

You will eventually burn out here. There aren't many opportunities to grow, though if you are a yes man/woman or are well liked by your coworkers you might find yourself in a better position than others.

Advice to Management

Make strides towards quality over quantity.

"Not a Bad Place to Start, but Little Room for Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalEdge full-time

Pros

- You get to put on your resume that you worked at a Hearst Media owned company, which can look impressive to future employers.

- You don’t need a whole lot of experience to get a job here, and that’s a good thing since there aren’t enough true entry level positions for recent college grads.

- You’ll meet a lot of great people while working here and make a lot of friends.

- The benefits are quite good here. They pay for most your healthcare and offer a decent 401k plan.

- You get to learn a lot about the digital marketing industry.

- You generally can leave right when your day ends at 4:30 and don’t need to take any work home with you.

- The work is relatively stress free, aside from the odd angry client conference call.

- The office is in a central location with a lot of good restaurants nearby.

- There isn’t much micromanagement. As long as you get your work done in a timely matter, you are pretty much left alone.

- The addition of flex time is great and helps to not eat away at EA time for appointments.

Cons

- The pay is relatively low for the industry, but the company gets away with it since there isn’t much local competition and it’s a low cost of living area.

- By far, the biggest downside of LocalEdge is that there’s very little chance for promotions and raises. This results in the company losing a lot of talented people and employees feeing unmotivated to put forth quality work.

- High turnover results in a lot of new people constantly needing to be trained, which means more work for everyone, and clients having their products managed by someone that’s just starting to learn the industry. This is to be expected since most positions are entry level and employees leave for more money after getting some experience.

- You never really no idea who has the final say. Management likes to keep passing the buck to the next highest up the ladder for any issues. Even the highest people in charge at the company seem to be at the mercy of Hearst or HR.

- The sales team has a very high turnover rate and is pretty disconnected from the rest of the company. They often over promise and then rely on you to explain to the customer why they aren’t getting the results they were promised. A lot of them have a “churn and burn” attitude and disappear after the sale is made. You will meet a lot of new sales people that just have no idea what they’re doing.

- The company seems content with losing talented and loyal employees and just replacing them with fresh college grads that will work for less money and are likely still on their parents healthcare as well. I’m not sure if this strategy saves that much money in the long run when you consider the cost of recruiting, training, on-boarding, etc, but it is what it is.

- The work can get pretty monotonous and dull, but that isn’t rare for an office job.

Advice to Management

If you really don’t want to be viewed as a steppingstone company anymore, than you have to put your money where your mouth is. The recent decision to pay new hires at a lower rate than before completely contradicts that goal.

Offer the option to work remotely every now and then. If you don’t trust your employees to not abuse it, then why even have them on your team at all? It’s very common for digital marketing companies to offer this now, and is hurting you from being competitive.

I wrote down a lot of pros and cons, but overall I generally enjoyed my time are LocalEdge and think it’s a good place to start, but changes need to be made if you’re serious about not being a foot in the door type company anymore.

10. "Digital products that work for customers. SEO/SEM,Google Adwords, Reputation Management, Optimizing Websites."

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, training, strength of HEARST Media, excellent customer service, Digital products that help bring a ROI to businesses. A few positives that allow DME to continue building portfolio & meet/exceed sales goals.

Cons

Allow DME to meet with customers even if there is a regional meeting (DME can phone in from where they are at).
    Middle managers need to ride along ( sell with DME ) & reduce computer micro-managing time.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer the newest services for businesses & give sales people & managers more time to sell & less computer management / meetings.