Lovesac Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Lovesac Founder, CEO Shawn Nelson
Shawn Nelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great product, good discount, beautiful new store concept" (in 20 reviews)

• "Employee Discount is awesome and you get to work with cool people" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management-horrific, don’t expect to be heard unless you want career Suicide" (in 14 reviews)

• "No commission, No incentives, Upper management is a Joke, all they want is B" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Time To Be Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whoa! Some of these reviews are very specific, and feel very vindictive. Within 2 years the company has provided employees with a matching, generous 401K Plan, Summer hours, and tons of perks around the office. I think these (in part) are a testament to the commitment of upper management to create a culture that we can love. Lovesac is NOT for the faint of heart. It is growing at a rapid pace and will feel very sink or swim at first - you cannot just do the minimum and skate by here. We are still building best practices so you have the opportunity at EVERY level to be a game changer here, if you are up to the task. You get back what you give in, and if you put that kind of energy into the company you will find a really supportive culture, and will be very proud of what you are helping to build here. I also kind of love the fact that we can listen to music here while we work.

Cons

We are a relatively small team at HQ charged with a very tough growth trajectory, so it's easy to feel overwhelmed. Especially when we are still developing the structure and there are lots of tasks floating around without an owner. This is par for the course, and will get better (it already has), but it's not for everyone. If you are someone who prefers to be task oriented and gets lost in ambiguity, this is probably not the best fit for you. Maintain an open dialogue with your cross-functional partners, don't point fingers, and that will ease a lot frustration that comes with building a brand.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The growing pains are starting to feel a lot better.

"Huge Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The recent negative reviews on this company seem bitterly personal, and at best confusing. In the time I've worked at this company, I have not experienced a shred of what others have complained of. If you like working in a suit and tie in a cubicle- this job is not for you. If you don't like free food- this job is not for you. If you don't like working in a team- this job is not for you. We have an interactive workspace utilizing the products we design, sell, and stand by. We are often encouraged to move around, engage with other coworkers in other departments, and have been designed a pretty nice office to facilitate that.

Our upper level management including the CEO is very present, and constantly offering positive vibes. Learning is encouraged and offered in the form of weekly brief workshops, and an extensive library at your disposal. Growth is also a constant encouragement. Is it hard work? Hell yeah. Do we play hard? Hell yeah. Bottom Line- this is a retail-based business. We sometimes work nights, weekends, and holidays . This disclaimer is noted on every job posting and frankly, is just common sense. If you take the kids on a 2 week trip to Disney every December- this job is not for you.

Cons

There are growing pains, as much as any other business when taking a company to the next level. However, these are currently being ironed out.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lovesac part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discounts and has great products

Cons

All the company cares about it making money and not about the employees. Managers don't know what they are doing and district managers just want to make it seem as if they have everything together.

"Lovesac"

I worked at Lovesac part-time

Pros

Easy job with good pay for what you had to do.

Cons

The manager at the location was rude and would scream in your face.
    She drove the team to win her awards rather than leading us.
    No commission.
    Had to use personal vehicle for work related duties.

Advice to Management

Be a leader not a boss.

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lakewood Ranch, FL

I have been working at Lovesac full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Products that are well designed and manufactured to last and be more comfortable than anything else on the market. Generous employees discount and benefits packages.

Cons

Start-up company mentality that grows tiresome quickly from a retail perspective. Inability to control the extended and frequent lags in fulfillment of orders lasting 8-12 weeks for backorders. All causing the retail personnel to spend a good share of their time fielding the frustrations of customers whose needs are not being met, often resulting in cancelation of orders.

Unrealistic expectations to ramp up sales by more than 20% year over year when supply often isn’t available at key selling times. Popular items on constant back order.

Retail stores often staffed by only a single person for long shifts. Expectations of overtime or to travel to other stores to cover their understaffing issues.

Chronically understaffed.

HR is a joke.

No real ethical behavior when it comes to valuing employees and treating them fairly, openly and honestly. No real effort to make them feel valued. More like feeing like they are in Jr High. Lots of metrics. None of them create any harmony.

If you love working hard while feeling you have one hand tired behind your back all the time and that the rug will be pulled out from under you at any given moment in any number of ways, welcome to LoveSac. You will thrive.

Advice to Management

For a place that has been in business for over 20 years and loves to throw around terms like Operational Excellence, I would love to have seen that actually demonstrated. It wasn’t.

Grow up. Get real. Stop using hype, smoke and mirrors. You are selling a fantasy. Be who who say you are. You have a fantastic product. But you abuse, chew up and spit out great people and it is catching up to you.

"If Shawn only new!"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lovesac part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product. Loved working here but....

Cons

Hiring new employees at Starbucks pay rate and hiring children to be the forefront of your business will only run the business to the ground! Forcing managers to under pay staff and cut hours.....We are not selling jeans and shoes...we are selling a high end furniture product that demands quality staff to sell it.
    If your forefront is not happy or educated you will never get results. Turn over is high due to pay rate. No commission. Contest you only win if Company meets plan. No one cares! It's terribly made fun of. Your VP of stores and regionals are a joke to everyone. Your DM's are over worked and your Store Managers are exhausted. Restructure before it's too late. Forefront is who you are...forefront is Lovesac

7. "Definitely the place to be in the retail world"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Lovesac part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place I have worked in retail, they definitely care about their employees compared to most mall stores these days. The people I work with make my day so much easier, I love everyone I work with.
    Tons of training material. After I started to get to know things and get to the point were I wanted to try really hard to get people to buy the product, I was thirsty for more and more information that I could obtain. The training software that they have lets you go beyond what is required, and I assigned myself so many extra training sessions, and it's completely free and a great way to utilize down time in the store.
    During the holiday season, bonuses are offered to full time employees to meeting goals (I was temporarily Assistant Manager during this time), as well as the company will send goodies in the mail like cookies and candied pop corn, and Starbucks gift cards to help everyone stay positive during the busy time of year. I don't know of a single other mall store that would do anything like this. And with Synchrony bank for our financing offers, completing training and sometimes their extra questionnaires though out the year they'll give Starbucks or Panera gift cards. They really care about the people fully absorbing their training.

Cons

It's customer service, some people suck. I've watched at least two sets of parents wave their kids off over and over again while talking to me as their kids are begging to go to the bathroom, and end up peeing themselves in the store. From what I've heard from co-workers this isn't an uncommon thing. So you definitely need to have a mindset ready for some awkward situations like that, and still make that customer comfortable with everything.
    People in HQ can also be a little snippy via email when mistakes happen. It's all water under the bridge at the end of the day and nothing is ever taken to a personal point. But mistakes happen and some of these people get way too worked up about it.

Advice to Management

Things need to be more 100% before handed off to employees. It's too often that common mistakes are made, people get upset, and we're to blame. And it's because of things like giving us new SKUs too often when the old ones pop up in searches much easier, or giving a new time stamp login for a new website putting heavy emphasis on moving over systems, and then things fall through last minute. Everything that's being done is obviously for the better, but changes happen too often without having a good foundation ready to catch when mistakes will happen. -- to anyone potentially taking a job offer from LoveSac and reading this, just be ready to have a flexible mindset. You need to be able to roll with these punches and know you can only do the best that you can.

"Laughably bad"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Lovesac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product
    Some great people at the store level

Cons

$0.10-$0.20 raises
    Constant backorders because the company can’t pay all its vendors
    Moron of a CEO

Advice to Management

Sad that a great idea wont ever see its full potential with the current business model. How can you possibly attract new employees with a revolving door mentality? A 20 year start up isn’t a real thing.

"Product is the elephant in the room."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Lovesac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on which location you work at and who you work with, your experience will likely differ drastically from the next reviewer/employee. This company's overall environment exudes positivity and hope, which helps in career longevity. Also, this company pays well for full timers. Cannot say the same for part time.

Cons

Lovesac doesn't know what it wants to be. It hasn't known for over ten years. The name alone is proof. Lovesac was an edgy name for an "alternative furniture" company from the 90s. Now they're at the price point in competition with Crate&Barrel and Ethan Allen.

Advice to Management

Okay first and foremost: your couches aren't comfortable. Woof I know it's a hard pill to swallow. But you know it. I know it. Hell, even the dog knows it. Go back to the drawing board (literally) and rethink the specs for your modular couches. The current hardware and cushion measurements are the number one thing holding this company back. I worked in a store for four years. I would say only 20% of people would stay after taking a seat on the product, even after understanding all the great aspects that make Lovesac couches unique. Redraw the specs, rethink the cushion filling and actually study what makes a couch comfortable. Every other hurdle this company is facing needs to come second to the comfort of the product. Trying to bring this up while working there would always warrant an audible "shhh" from my higher-ups. The concept of Sactionals has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. It pains me to say the R&D dept. is failing on a massive level.

Your projected growth is also a complete facade. Be real with yourselves. It's not going to happen at your price point the way the product looks and feels as it does now. It's not going to happen with the name Lovesac. It's not going to happen with part timers in the stores. Go back to full timers who feel truly invested in their daily routine and take ownership of the business. You simply cannot grow to where you want to be by hiring random people who want to pick up 15 hours a week.

Shawn... I've seen your Sactionals set up in your house through videos and pictures. Doesn't it bother you that the pillows don't line up? That the paneling goes two different directions? That this product was honestly never really made to be configured "deep" but that's how over half of all customers choose to set it up? I believe you're a smart guy and I trust you have what it takes to grow the company. The aforementioned stuff needs to be addressed or Lovesac is not going to make it.

"So Much Potential and So Little Action - I Hated to Leave Because I Loved my Co-workers"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Lovesac part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers in store, overall nice product, fun atmosphere, good pay for a non-commission based furniture sales job, amazing employee discount, company values are what attracted me

Cons

This company has so much potential. But POS systems, inventory tracking, customer relationship management software... all stuck in the past. You should not be using front-line updated Google Sheets to track your CRM issues or financials. Sometimes a co-worker that was not big into the company values would swoop in and steal a sale when you had been working on the relationship with the customer for weeks. Many of the "leaders" and front-line workers do not buy-in to the values and create a lot of unnecessary dissonance.

Advice to Management

Lovesac has amazing company values, especially the permission-to-play values. Live these values, hire according to these values, and your stores will do wonderfully well. One reason I left so quickly was I could not take seeing those above me be rewarded for violating everything the company supposedly believed in.

Scale back and focus on perfecting your policies and procedures. Once you have a solid footing then expand. Bring back product manufacturing to the US. I lost many sales when I had to tell them the bases of the furniture was no longer made in the US because we did see the quality of the sofa build decline.