M+R Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2020

2.9
M+R CEO Bill Wasserman (no image)
Bill Wasserman

"Incredibly Supportive Growth-Oriented Environment"

5.0
    Former Employee - Field Director

I worked at M+R full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is probably my favorite company that I've worked for. Everyone in our office was so incredibly friendly and supportive. My supervisor listened to my goals and how I wanted to grow as a professional and frequently assigned me to tasks along those lines. The skills I honed here made me a shoe-in for my next job. My hours only very rarely went above 40/week, and they also have the best insurance I've ever had.

Cons

The pay could be a bit higher, but honestly it's not bad given how much you will learn.

"Don’t expect too much"

Former Employee - Digital Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at M+R full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool clients, people who are passionate about the work. You can learn a decent amount from being around this work.

Cons

M+R has very high turnover in their junior staff (Associates and Account Executives). Pay is low and much is demanded from junior staff, with very little opportunities for promotion, so it makes sense that people are leaving in droves. As an associate or account executive, if you’re not promoted within 24 months, you’re essentially fired (and at least three people I know during my tenure here have been dismissed because they were not promoted quickly enough). Especially as an associate expect to be pigeonholed into doing menial tasks and not be given increasing responsibilities unless you get every part of your job 100% right. Management is very anti-union and didn’t voluntarily recognize our union when workers first tried to organize, even went to go and hire Trump’s law firm in bargaining (the irony of that was not lost on most staffers).

Continue reading

"Where Idealism Comes to Die"

I worked at M+R full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some interesting clients and causes.

Cons

Most people at M+R fail to see how the very organizations that they work for are funded and installed by people - Democrats and Republicans - who benefit tremendously from the current status quo. M+R encourages a rather shallow, black and white world view (all democrats = good and all republicans = bad) where tokenistic identity-based representation is prescribed as the key to solving inequality. Let’s wear pink hats and “nasty women” t-shirts and buttons to attend women’s marches, proclaim how progressive we are and denounce Trump’s toxic misogyny at every available opportunity, AND yet let’s turn a blind eye to Michael Bloomberg (whose picture we feature on the website). Let’s continue to work for sham organizations like the Super PAC Emily’s List which are funded largely by #MeToo skeptic and well-documented misogynist Mike Bloomberg, while thinking we are making the world a better place. This is M+R in a nutshell. Insanely oblivious or full blown hypocrites? I'll let you decide!

4. "good"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consulting Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at M+R full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work and life balance

Cons

excellent to work with management

"You'll work for progressive causes while the company treats employees poorly"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at M+R full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are the best at what they do - it's an advertising tagline for them, but it really is true. You will work with incredibly smart and dedicated people for progressive causes, and it does feel like you're making a difference. They also have good in-office perks like free meals fairly often.

Cons

This firm will work you to death until you are doubting your skills and value as a person, and the upper levels of management will not do anything to help unless you are one of their favorites. This unequal treatment, particularly of low-level employees, led the staff to unionize in 2017 - management did not take it well and engaged in many union-busting practices that broke labor laws, including withholding promised raises. During contract negotiations, they hired Jones Day, an incredibly conservative and infamous law firm associated with many Trump administration officials - that firm was *in the process of suing one of M+R's clients* while M+R employed them. In the six months after the union contract was passed in December 2018, over 30 employees have left the firm - many in direct response to unfair tactics during unionization and negotiation, and poor treatment by management. You'll work for progressive causes, but toxic "white feminism" runs rampant through upper levels of management, so if you're a person of color looking to work there know that you'll spend a lot of time being talked down to by white folks. The firm hired an outside diversity consultant a few years back, but the promised institutional change to internal inclusion issues never materialized. If you get on management's good side, M+R is a great place to work. However, if you don't, you'll continue to have unreasonable demands placed on your workload, and if you speak up for yourself you will be targeted for retaliation in annual reviews. Again, another reason why so many people have recently departed from the firm.

Continue reading

"Typical exploitative consulting business, though they try to brainwash you otherwise"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at M+R full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff was able to unionize and secure some improvements in the jobs there, despite the company undermining union organizing efforts, complaining about their bottom line, people in management crying in front of staff because they didn't understand why we wouldn't just ask them for what we need instead of unionizing which is quite ironic considering some of our clients were pro-worker organizations and unions. They say you learn a lot and I did learn how to balance a huge workload and scrimp to survive in an expensive city on a far too low salary for my skill set.

Cons

People are overworked, especially entry level, you have to attend all staff calls that are essentially brainwashing hours to convince you the work matters far more than it does. You are on a staff of mostly white people who are consulting for organizations that are also mostly white trying to "target" communities of color ostensibly to support them but ultimately to use them to fundraise from other white people who run foundations that are supposedly helping communities of color. Just more nonprofit industrial complex nonsense.

"Great People, Great Teams"

5.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at M+R full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people. People you'll work with are kind, caring, good-hearted folks. - Truly a place where everyone is rooting for each other and where you're on the same team. There's very little "I" and a lot of "we." People will help you out just because they can. - The work is big and important. You'll feel like you're making a difference every day you work here and the orgs you work with are some of the best in the world at what they do. - Great culture around transparent feedback. There's a steep learning curve but if you want to grow there is likely opportunity for you to do that. - Opportunities to innovate in the field—from interesting experiments to creating a new field of practice. In many ways it has the best of both worlds—the innovation culture of a startup and the infrastructure of a more established business. - Nice perks like professional development scholarships, free lunch Fridays, company outings, etc.

Cons

- Systems are still getting figured out. It's a growing company and people are very thoughtful about how things work (like equity, hiring, promotions, salaries, etc.) but there are still sometimes unintentionally hurtful things said or actions taken. - Pay is good but at mid-level is lower than what you could get in other places for similar work.

"It's Not Worth It"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at M+R full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work you're doing will absolutely change the world for the better. You know you are helping your clients are doing great work. Great benefits.

Cons

Zero work-life balance and heavy workload across all levels. No training, onboarding or shadowing system in place, nor regular check-ins for new staff. Leadership gives up on lower-level staff quickly if they do not perform perfectly the first go-round. Very steep learning curve with little support. Poor communication from top-down. No expectations set at the front-end of employment. They promote a "work hard, play hard" culture, but there really is no "play hard." I would rather work for a non-profit.

Continue reading

"Great place, great people"

4.0

I have been working at M+R for more than a year

Pros

We work on great causes and everyone here is very thoughtful and motivated. You can't find a better group of people to be with every day! Supervisors are also really conscientious about helping their supervisees with professional development goals. M+R loves to help their staff move up within the company.

Cons

The workload can be stressful at times. Management has heard this feedback and continues to try and work on alleviating this stress, but part of it is just the nature of the work.

10. "Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at M+R full-time for less than a year

Pros

Online fundraising, Online advocacy, Public relations, Data analysis, Grassroots organizing, Social marketing, Branding & messaging, Earned media, List building,

Cons

nothing , everything was ok.

Found 38 reviews