Magic Ears Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 19 reviews

4.4
Magic Ears CEO
Pros
Cons
  • "I would love for Magic Ears to have more hours available to teach(in 13 reviews)

• "I wish they had more hours available to work(in 7 reviews)

1. Fantastic Company

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

-No sick penalties -No penalties for power outages -Many opportunities for improvement -Company cares about their employees

Cons

-can be early hours depending on where you live -at times there are some growing pains

Advice to Management

Please don't ever stop being so hands on and active with the teachers. We really appreciate it.

2. fired me b/c I didn’t pass a background check even though I have nothing on my records

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New Middletown, OH

I worked at Magic Ears part-time

Pros

Pay, scheduling, training, nice platform, good kids

Cons

Bad communication, wrongful termination, waste of time

Advice to Management

Do a background check before you hire someone and get them working .. Provide information and reason as to why someone didn’t pass a background check

Fantastic Online ESL company to work with

Former Employee - Online ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The attendance policy is lenient 2. Very professional communication with teachers through Email and Skype messages. 3. The hiring process is very clear to applicants. 4. The teaching platform is easy to use 5. The feedback is very helpful for teachers. 6. You may apply for a second or even a third position to earn more salary

Cons

I have a wonderful experience while working for Magic Ears. I will definitely recommend this company to all my friends who work for online ESL teaching.

Advice to Management

You guys are a perfect, professional, respectful team to work with.

Fantastic company to work for!

Current Employee - Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with Magic Ears for five months and I absolutely love it! Let me outline some of the many reasons I like this company: • They listen to their teachers and implement teacher’s requests. • They value their teachers. • They communicate clearly and often with their teachers via email, Skype and in the teacher’s portal. • The Beijing staff is wonderful to work with. • The Magic Ears platform is interactive,...

Cons

Cons: • If you are looking to have 100% full schedule with lots of hours right away, that won’t happen. This is common with many companies. • I can’t really think of any other cons. This is a fantastic company to work for and I highly recommend it. It’s especially helpful if you find someone with a referral code and they can help you and answer questions for you through the hiring process.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Thanks for all you do to make Magic Ears a great place to work.

November 13, 2018hr

Dear teacher, thanks for giving this specific comments for us and we really appreciate it. we always insist on what we do and we really care of our teachers. Hope you have more great experience with Magic Ears. MagicEars is always with you!

I love my job!

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

* I make $23/hour * I get to work from home * work early so the rest of my day is available * amazing training from the company and other teachers * sick policy is such a relief if you really have to cancel * I ranked up quickly and was offered a secondary position

Cons

*you have to be patient and focus on improving your teaching before ranking up and getting booked more, so this could take some time. If you are in it for the long haul, it is so worth it though!

Online ESL teacher and Supervisor of classes

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

Magic Ears treats you as part of a family. They are extremely courteous and gracious. If you are sick, they want you to rest. You need to travel? No problem. The pay is wonderful, the highest I've found. I make $22 per hour. There is opportunity for secondary positions pretty quickly. I've worked for them for 5 1/2 months and already have a supervisory role also.

Cons

They are a newer company so "all" the hours of teaching aren't offered quite yet, but they will get there as they grow :)

September 8, 2018hr

Thank you for sharing your comments and we really appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful teaching experience at Magic Ears and please accept the best wishes from us.

Best Online ESL company!

Current Employee - Teacher/Interviewer/Trainer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working for Magic Ears. At ME I am not a number like I was at VIPKID. I communicate regularly with the staff and they are always so friendly and appreciative of my hard work. I have gotten a raise since I started working and also have been awarded some secondary positions that I can do on off-peak hours, which I love. I get feedback on my teaching regularly that is helpful and that I can implement. ME is new and...

Cons

In the beginning you will not have a fully booked schedule. But as you get more experience and do well, you will get more and more bookings.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more videos of great teachers teaching on the ME portal so that new teachers can see what a great class looks like.

August 21, 2018hr

Thank you a lot for sharing your wisdom. Glad to hear you enjoy work with Magic Ears! Let’s grow together!

Why I love Magic Ears

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

MagicEars has so many good qualities that I have witnessed since joining the company in September 2017. I am grateful for this opportunity to teach as a second career in my mid-30s. The pay is good, the staff is flexible and the children are teachable. The students have the ability and the desire to learn. The biggest pro as a Teacher is seeing the world through the children 's eyes. I learn as much from them as they...

Cons

Freedom, Great company. It's my honor to work with these group of talent people.

August 27, 2018hr

Dear teacher, thank you very much! why Magic Ears want to become the best because we have lots of cutest teachers and let's grow up together!

Senior Teacher

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at Magic Ears full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to choose your own hours. This is so incredibly helpful for me, because my husbands job rotates his weekends/hours often and with Magic Ears I can easily adjust my work hours to match his. I get to work, and be at home with my son. Magic ears has an excellent policy on cancelling classes for emergencies and the job security is unmatched. If theres a storm and your internet goes out, or a family emergency arises,...

Cons

They are a semi-new and growing/thriving company. I hope to see communication between staff and teachers become more immediate as they grow.

Advice to Management

More consistency of comminicating with the teachers would really be so appreciated and take Magic Ears to the next level.

August 27, 2018hr

Dear Teacher, thanks for sharing this! we are glad you like making your own hours and you enjoying work with us. we can become better because we have lots of great teachers like you. we appreciate your hard work and hope you have a great time with Magic Ears!

This company cares!

Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Magic Ears part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company will not punish teachers for cancelling classes if they are sick. I believe you get 2 sick days per month.

Cons

Newer company, might see growing pains, but I havent witnessed it.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with the teachers. 😊

August 23, 2018hr

Magic Ears wants to grow up with you!! Thank you so much!

Found 19 reviews