Mainfreight Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Don Braid

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "fast paced, lot's of responsibility, hard work in Logistics, good team in general from team members to team leaders" (in 7 reviews)

• "Good Culture, Office creates a fun environment to work in" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, job ambiguity, bad work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Grad program is very "ad-hoc" approach, with little structure to move and learn the business" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Logistics account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Flowermound, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Flowermound, TX

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love this job! Great benifits in a fast pace enviorment. It’s actually fun to go to work. Our culture is casually serious.

Cons

We work a lot but the company takes care of you. Best job I’ve had that really cares about you as well as getting the job done

2. "What you put in"

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time

Pros

- Company culture
    - People (senior executive level) actually care about your progress
    - If you are intelligent and put the time and effort in, it is very easy to progress
    - big annual bonus if your branch makes profit or if you are recognized as an outstanding performer
    - Senior management team actually know your name
    - Internal promotion strategy seems to be working better now than it has in the past for USA business

Cons

- Pay reviews are not doe face to face but behind closed doors (one of the only things not done openly). No chance to discuss your pay related to performance or understand why you didn't get a raise. If you bring it up, you're treated like you are not grateful.
    - Widely disparate pay among people with similar levels of repsonsibility

Advice to Management

- Make pay more transparent through the business. Many people are motivated by money as well as doing a good job.
    - Listen to your future leaders ideas
    - Get rid of dead beats on inflated salaries who are toxic to the culture and company

3. "Great people and a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think a lot of the previous reviews reference Target logistics or Target Corp which are unfortunately not related to Mainfreight. Mainfreight acquired Target Logistics quite a while back and there seems to still be some confusion.. I am still very new to Mainfreight but what I have learned in the short time here is that they have some of the friendliest people, and if you work hard, the sky is the limit! What I love most about Mainfreight is their family-oriented culture and their support behind each team member to live a healthy and fun life in and outside of work. If you are looking for a place to put in the work to grow your professional career, this is definitely the place to be!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons or negatives to put down, which is probably why I am so passionate about working here!

4. "Good company but could be great with upper managemen changes."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Mainfreight full-time

Pros

Competitive salaries. Reasonable hours. Overtime available.

Cons

High turnover. Poor training program. Lack of employee support.

Advice to Management

Allow your management team to manage. Set realistic goals and help managers and staff to achieve them. Employee satisfaction should be as important as the customer's satisfaction.

5. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Graduate Program in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Program in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the biggest pros working for Mainfreight is NO Hierarchy. You are encouraged to make decisions for your customers without having to report to the person above you.
    It's an open atmosphere with incredible people who will do whatever it takes to help each other.
    Many opportunities to learn another department.

Cons

High stress.
    Some days unable to move from the desk due to workload, unable to take a break and eat lunch most days.
    Decent pay, great for entry level.

Advice to Management

To be honest, management at the Houston, TX branch is incredible and working hard to support their team members. Not much advise to give.

"If you like to live to work and not work to be able to live..."

Former Employee - Import Specialist & Entry Writer in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Import Specialist & Entry Writer in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Mainfreight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to hire with minimum to no experience and train. Flexible with time off with needing to go Dr. appointments or personal matters that come up during the work week.

Cons

Company states they like to promote from within. By within the company, they mean that they hire people with experience from larger freight forwarders and shoot them up the ladder a couple months down the road. The people they hire with little experience and train get passed over for any promotions and basically stuck. Also management likes to micromanage and do not really talk to one another. My manager who sat 10 feet away from me would send me emails to have conversations instead of just looking up saying “hey”. Also expected to come in early, stay late, and even work weekends. But come raise time in April, don’t expect any big raises no matter how hard you work.

Advice to Management

Treat people like they matter to you and give larger raises to the people who work their butts off.

7. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mainfreight has good connections in the world of freight. Pricing is competitive and they pour money in IT/technology which is good. There is a laid back culture.

Cons

TOO many changes in the Sales structure. Can't trust what you are promised you'd be given because it changes constantly. And it's starting to really turn to be a unattractive role to be part of with Mainfreight. No forwarder is doing what they are and that's for a reason.

Advice to Management

Need better communication on any changes. Everything seems like a surprise. The excuse of the directors are pushing it all of a sudden is a crappy response. Don't make promises you can't keep.

"Organized Chaos at Mainfreight USA"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture, startup mentality, strong teamwork. Strong freight forwarding network and partners. Promote from within.

Cons

Resistance to change and innovation, sales and pricing can be weak. Constant change to sales & commissions structures

Advice to Management

Mainfreight needs to have a clear identity for the US and work to build a cohesive network. Needs to start at the top and be clearly communicated through the ranks. Cross training is needed, lots of legacy employees stuck doing only what they "know how" to do versus wearing the hat the branch needs at any given time.

9. "Great for growth, hard work"

Pros

Flexibility, ownership and creative space. There is a lot of ability to create your own destiny, especially if you work well in a low structure environment and like to get things done.

Cons

Consistently work a lot of hours to get everything done. The branches have the bulk of the responsibility, but not always the tools or resources they need. Not the best communication on what is going on in the company.

Advice to Management

Communicate goals, plans and expectations clearly, and often. When those change, make sure everyone knows.

10. "Vice President"

I have been working at Mainfreight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Number of offices at the global scope

Cons

Lack of sales leadership, little to none support from upper managment