Manning & Napier Advisors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
William Manning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall a good company"

I worked at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company hires great people. My co-workers were great!

Cons

The company has had some challenges more recently that have created a tough culture.

2. "Antiquated Perspectives"

I have been working at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time

Pros

HR is trying to change the company culture for the better

Cons

Outdated senior management stuck on former successes. Minimal diversity or women in senior leadership roles.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Amherst, NY

I worked at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individual contributions were truly valued and encouraged. I enjoyed the dynamic, technology focused area team I was part of. The projects and products were innovative. The employees were more or less kind, professional, respectful and a joy to work with. The division I was with was located outside of Rochester, a small satellite office with specific technology goals. Great team and talent.

Cons

Extraordinarily Long hours during product roll outs or open enrollment ( employee benefits division). A few confusing changes in management from remote “ownership”. Or stakeholders I suppose.

Advice to Management

Would have loved more opportunities for growth within company.

4. "Okay Company"

I worked at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time

Pros

The Benefits, all of my direct coworkers were amazing people, the pay

Cons

Not a lot of room for development or moving up in the company. No females in the head positions and that does not seem to be changing any time soon.

"Finance"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Victor, NY

I worked at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The Finance team is a great group of people, and overall, the firm does try to inject some 'fun' into the organization. There are number of events, be it happy hours, parties, food trucks, and so on, that allow people to get together and socialize. There's also a really great sense of diversity at this firm, I truly feel anyone of any age or background can fit in.

-Work life / balance is excellent. Standard working hours are 37.5 per week, however normally people will work more towards 40+. Nevertheless, I felt if things were happening outside of work that needed my attention, it was never a problem as long as I kept open lines of communication in terms of timing and status of open work.

-The industry, provided you are interested in a Finance environment, is genuinely interesting, and it's fascinating to see how current events around the world are shaping investment strategy in the Research group.

Cons

-While socially the culture is very progressive, in many, many other ways, M&N is lagging behind. Simple things like working from home (the Company's standard policy is for you to take a vacation day if you miss work due to inclement weather) are just non-existent for most employees at Manning. If you don't trust your employees to be able to work productively outside of the confines of an office, why would you hire them at all in 2017?

-There is almost no room for any movement or growth. While some of this is due to the size of the firm, this is more of a cultural issue. For example, the Research department has a very structured, organized method to train, provide exposure to new learnings, and advance people in learning the overall business. Very few other groups have something like this, however. In Finance, there were no opportunities for on-the-job training, cross-training, or shadowing other roles. Most importantly, there is no road map in place to help people grow in their role and prepare them for more challenging positions in the event they do come up. Any promotions or advancements are seemingly completely arbitrary; overall, it is a process that is incredibly rigid, old-fashioned, and incomprehensibly opaque.

-The Company's leadership is ostensibly non-existent. As of 6/30/17, there's no CFO, and the CEO is the ~80 year-old founder, Bill Manning, who is seemingly out of touch with almost everything happening at the Firm.

Advice to Management

It's 2017! The workforce is more mobile and more flexible, and the Company needs to adopt. Institute actual management, capable of creating, implementing, and guiding strategy around a more flexible culture, employee retention, and human capital.

"Old-Fashioned Company"

I have been working at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very friendly co-workers
    -Nicely located office
    -On-site cafeteria (it's so-so, but it's nice in a pinch)
    -Excellent work-life balance (almost everyone leaves at 5pm)

Cons

-Company does not want to invest in web tools and systems
    -Not keeping up with younger clientele
    -The CEO is a Trump-like egomaniac

Advice to Management

Pour money into increasing the functionality of the web tools available to clients.

"Managing director"

Former Employee - Managing Director in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Rochester, NY

I worked at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rochester is an economical place to live

Cons

Lack of overall talent. Dictatorship run by egomaniacal founder who openly calls his top management and portfolio managers "monkeys". Pay is below average. Hours are above average. And management team lacks vision, focus, talent and intelligence.

Advice to Management

Sell the firm.

"Good Company,"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Fairport, NY

I have been working at Manning & Napier Advisors (Less than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic people and good work environment.
    Employees committed to each others success.
    Convenient location compared to other investment management firms.

Cons

The culture is different between the two buildings but the culture I was exposed to was mostly positive.

"Great Co-works, Not So Great Managment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY

I have been working at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some really great people.

My direct Supervisor is usually pretty flexible when it comes to taking time for appointments, etc.

The company is pretty charitable. They've also allowed employees to take 1 paid day to volunteer, per year (not a vacation day).

I find there are opportunities for learning and person growth - whether its at the department level or the corporate level.

The company has been profit sharing every year I've worked here.

Cons

No career growth

Salary is low compared to other firms in the area

Benefits are not great. High-Deductible healthcare plans, only a week sick time (7 days), max out vacation days at 5 weeks (25 days).

Management is very stuck in their ways, making it extremely challenging to do our job effectively. They seem unwilling to listen to suggestions (they take things personally), and we end up with processes that are convoluted and result in projects taking a long time to finish. There is a lot of bureaucracy and office politics.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and empower them to make decisions. Stop working in silos and allow employees at all levels be part of the solution. Allow simple process changes to be implemented quickly to help alleviate day-to-day issues (delaying this tends to make the issue worse)

10. "It was a paycheck."

I worked at Manning & Napier Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid well for work that was not challenging. HR legitimately tries to engage employees and create community.

Cons

Senior leadership does not listen to employee needs. Gossiping and alienating team members was exemplified in supervisor. Very high turnover at all levels of employment proves a lack of engagement and loyalty.