Mapa Spontex Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, TN

I worked at Mapa Spontex (More than 10 years)

Pros

Global Experience, Opportunity to Advance and move though organizations, work environment positive, good team

Cons

periodic rotations of management created changes in focus and direction

2. "With the right attitude you will thrive here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, England (UK)

I worked at Mapa Spontex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mapa Spontex is a relatively small organisation in the UK but is part of a much bigger group, the benefit of this to the employees is there are no silos, each role has a wide remit; if you have the right mindset and attitude you can thrive in an environment like this, you can mould the role and you really can make a difference. Being part of a much bigger group also creates opportunity to work in different areas, work on different brands, mix with different people and travel. The other great aspect of working at Mapa Spontex is the people; I can honestly say that I have never before worked with such a nice bunch of people who are really easy to get on with but also really good at what they do. Team fit and team spirit is hugely important here which may explain some of the other relatively negative reviews but if you have the right attitude you will thrive here. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Mapa Spontex and probably learned more than at any other employer. I would definitely recommend working here.

Cons

Progression opportunities in the UK at least are somewhat limited due to the size of the organisation.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for progression in order to keep hold of your staff

3. "A great place to learn, get some valuable experience but suffer a high staff turnover"

I have been working at Mapa Spontex full-time

Pros

Trust & autonomy
    Anyone committed to its work can be very quickly given some autonomy, higher responsibilities, or the opportunity to join interesting projects.

Young team
    In most department you would join a young, dynamic team. This however is a symptom of a high staff turnover compared to the average of the sector.

Cons

Staff turnover
    Staff turnover is an inconvenient as it provides some instability in organisations, new interlocutors to deal with, new people to train... As a new comer or from an external perspective this is a bad indicator rarely attributed to "Best workplaces". But this can be a chance also. If movements in organisations can stress people (unstably, uncertainty...), this also provides opportunities with new posts for committed workers.

Training
    Few trainings proposed or even provided to new comers (dangerous when we know about the staff turnover).

Salaries
    Wages proposed at Mapa Spontex are bellow the average.

4. "Quite a miserable place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing in Worcester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Worcester, England (UK)

I worked at Mapa Spontex full-time

Pros

I had no pros about working here. It started off pretty well but soon it became clear that it's not a very nice place to work. There is no budget for anything, despite the company making a healthy profit. The money goes to shareholders and senior management and there is very little put back into the company.

Cons

This is not a happy place to work. Atmosphere is terrible and the way that managers treat staff is unpleasant.
    The management attitude is 'If you're not happy about something, then leave'. It's not always convenient to walk out of your job so this leads to miserable staff stuck in a job they hate, working for a manager they want to stab in the face. I was lucky in that I found a much better, more well-paid job with much better management.

Marketing department in particular is a soulless pit that sucks any happiness or morale out of employees like a poisonous vacuum. I would recommend to only work here if you have no intention of enjoying your job. The marketing department acts like it's important, but in reality the only reason the company is successful is the Salesmen that the company employs - if the products weren't in major supermarkets, the company would go bust. This is only due to salespeople.

I was told numerous times that the only way to get promoted is to work late. Nothing about job performance.

Spontex UK is one of those places that promotes employees based on how long they are at the company, not based on their skills or performance. This means that most of the managers are incompetent at dealing with people.

The company is also steeped in nepotism - the MD's son was ushered in through the back door, without the position being advertised anywhere else. All internships and work experience etc are given to relatives of employees.

This company is essentially stuck in the 1980's, and unless there is a massive shake up of senior management it will remain this way.

'If you don't like it, leave', they said, so I left. I just want other people not to get stuck there.

Advice to Management

If you cared about staff morale then you might have less staff turnover. Unhappy staff don't give a flying monkey about their jobs or the amount of effort they put in.

5. "Dont bother working here"

I have been working at Mapa Spontex full-time

Pros

People you work with are great

Cons

Not enough investment in things like IT or people.
    Everything done on a shoestring
    Its all about company making money and not sharing with employees

Advice to Management

Change current management

"Not enough resources to do what is required"

Pros

Co0 workers are all very friendly, welcoming and supportive and make it a nice atmosphere to work in.
    Good social life.

Cons

They don't pay well. Resources very limited and not enough investment in I.T.
    Everything done on the cheap.
    They rely too much on the good will of workers.
    Pressure is relentless.

Advice to Management

Get rid of northern person in charge as they are only out for themselves.
    They make out that they care for staff but its all a front.
    They have favourites and its clear who they are and talk about nepotism.

One department in particular is headed by a real tyrant who treats team like naughty schoolchildren. Yakky Dar.

7. "Ran it into the ground"

Pros

The mid level managment team was solid and well versed in both the ability and history of the facility.

Cons

the Leadership put in place by foreign owners had no regard for the people who had built the company up.

Advice to Management

You dont have all of the answers and that is ok to admit. Listen to the rank and file they do have some good ideas and they really are out for more than themselves.

8. "Mapa"

I have been working at Mapa Spontex full-time

Pros

Très bonne ambiance, attention portée aux collègues, agilité et facilité

Cons

il reste encore des choses à construire, mais c'est comme partout

9. "SI"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colombes (France)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colombes (France)

Pros

Bonnes opportunités, entreprise de taille humaine

Cons

Assez éloigné de la défense

10. "Probleme de management"

I have been working at Mapa Spontex full-time

Pros

Avantages liés à la fonction autonomie. Peu de travail

Cons

Management de masse, incapable de garder les bons éléments.
    Son incapable de tenir leurs engagements. Turnover des bons éléments enorme