Marrone Bio Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Pam Marrone, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very Nice Place to Work"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Davis, CA

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined MBI shortly after completing my BS. Although I had lab positions in the past, none gave me the experience, training, and confidence to excel that MBI did. As an Associate Scientist, I was able to design my own test plans, make conclusions, and present my work to executive level staff. Until I left MBI, I didn't realize how unusual this was.

Cons

There were a few things that I was unhappy with when I left MBI, but I realize now that they were actually pretty insignificant and normal in R&D settings. Sometimes plans changed, I didn't always agree with management, and groups don't have an unlimited budgets.

Advice to Management

I know most of the management does do this, but be sure to meet frequently with direct reports one-on-one and not just in group settings.

2. "Assistant Scientist"

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time

Pros

The culture of the people are great.

Cons

The R&D departments are unable to effectively collaborate. It's a mindless loop of unanswered questions and little progress.

Advice to Management

Improve career advancement rates in the R&D department.

"Great Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I worked at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot of working with people with challenging personalities. There are a lot of hires fresh from undergrad. It's a fun supportive community.

Cons

Because its so small, there is a lot of drama. However, everyone gets along for the most part.

4. "Great Team Great Experience"

I have been working at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees have tremendous opportunity to grow. People are amazing. It is a developing company with great innovative ideas. Very intelligent, hard working, and friendly people who work here. Good benefits and flexible with hours based on personal needs or family needs.

Cons

Use resources, skills, and experience wisely to gow better and faster.

Advice to Management

Provide better guidance to fresh out of college or first time job employees. Having more clear goals and timeliness to bring sustainable strong products to the market.

5. "Great experience!"

I have been working at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are probably the best part about working here, and not just in a social aspect but in the ability to communicate and collaborate on a peer-to-peer level. It is easy to talk to people about what you need and others are comfortable, for the most part, reaching out to their peers personally when help is needed. This also helps with gaining a lot of knowledge and experience across all the workings of the company, from the lab to administration.

Cons

Beyond the peer-to-peer communication, in some groups there seems to be a lack of communication or understanding between management and their team(s). Some employees feel undervalued and this seems to be due to the ability of some management to have more power or persuasion with, or even interest in communicating with, the leadership in getting what they want.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees and give them the appreciation they deserve. Communicate that also!

"Great team, moderate stress."

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Davis, CA

Pros

This is a fantastic group of people to work with on an ambitious mission to bring biopesticides to the forefront of modern agriculture. The teams are small and diverse, which makes individual input highly valued. The work environment is fast-paced, collaborative, and supportive. Management is open with employees, and responds positively to feedback. The benefits package is also very robust, and scheduling is fairly flexible around the 9 to 5 business hours.

Through the very rocky last couple of years, the people here have been my number one reason to come to work every day because they believe in what we are doing and they want to help make this company succeed.

Cons

For such a small company, the goals are often extremely aggressive. Between limited resources and tight deadlines, it can be stressful and risky in terms of meeting those goals. This is not a good place for people who prefer low-stress work.

Advice to Management

Having more achievable company goals and more resources would allow us to create better products, which benefits us, our investors, and our customers.

"Must be ready to work and think!"

I have been working at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

leader in the industry means employees have the opportunity to think outside the box and new ideas are valued and encouraged. Be ready to work though! As a small start up still the days are fast paced and exciting. This company is not for the the 8 and skate employees. (But they are super flexible with work hours and allow you to leave to pick up kids and stuff like that)!

Cons

We're coming out of a rough patch so there are some things that's are still having the kinks works out. None of them I expect to be permanent and are just a result of transition.

Advice to Management

Remember that people leave because of direct supervisors. Maybe mandate training for new/young low-mid level managers rather than just offering it. That could have helped prevent some of the turn over during the rough patch, in my opinion.

8. "Innovative Company with Positive Outlook"

I have been working at Marrone Bio Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you value a fast-paced, innovative company that appreciates employees and their input while encouraging an appropriate work life balance.

Cons

The volume of email communications can sometimes be overwhelming, but is expected due to being involved in multiple projects that encompass several functional groups.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; it's good to see how much employees are valued.

"Great People"

Pros

Great people to work with and very smart.

Cons

Lack of communication from top down.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.

"Scientist"

Pros

Love the people, great starting job, able to gain a lot of different experience in the field, fun environment among co workers

Cons

Disorganized, little to no appreciation, stressful workload without and career progression