Meetup Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Scott Heiferman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Senior Android Developer"

I have been working at Meetup full-time

Pros

Awesome perks, office and people

Cons

Nothing so far that I can say

2. "Ruled By Egos"

I worked at Meetup full-time

Pros

The health care was great, and weekly breakfasts were pretty decent.

Cons

The so-called "Leadership Team" is anything but. It is comprised of some of the most egocentric people I have ever met in my life. There are no team players, just people out to serve their own egos and bring other people down. When you first start, there are weekly, sometimes twice a week "lunch and learns" with the "leadership" team. They are miserable, and a waste of time, but they give you great insight into the self-serving, manipulative nature of the team. This sets the stage for acceptable mindset of the teams.

Advice to Management

Clean house and find people who can work with others and work for the good of the company to lead Meetup. Seems unlikely though, as the CEO is a whiny man-child himself.

"Passionate People & Wonderful Work Environment"

Pros

Meetup has a truly lovely work culture. The employees are not only smart and passionate about what they do, but they're extremely inclusive and supportive of one another. The management is respectful, the benefits are wonderful, and the work environment is modern and comfortable. The employees are held to high standards, but the work is gratifying.

Cons

Dogs are only allowed on one of the two floors. Sometimes people use the last of the coffee and they don't make more.

"Good people; poor direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Meetup full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great office, great perks, casual and laid back. Most people at Meetup are really brilliant and interesting. There's room to move upwards in the company. At many points in my time at Meetup, I loved it and I felt like I had tons of room to grow.

Cons

Management Accountability: There seems to be no accountability for people in higher positions. Entry-level employees have incredibly strict expectations, but it seems like their managers can consistently fail to perform without any consequences. I've witnessed many good and ambitious employees get discouraged because their managers aren't a good fit.

Company mission/values: There's a general "feel good" smugness that allows Meetup to convince itself that everything it does makes the world a better place. The mission is "MEME" -- A Meetup Everywhere about Most Everything. The result is a company that is so vague that it doesn't stand for anything at all.

Advice to Management

Be brave, take a stance on something. Be a company that leads instead of follows. Also, stop spending so much time discussing things like Slack and email etiquette in back rooms. It makes management seem ineffectual and bored.

5. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Meetup (More than a year)

Pros

Meetup is very mission-driven, and it attracts a lot of smart, motivated people who want to make a difference. The overall company culture is inclusive, collaborative, and approachable. People are open to discussion around improving product as well as improving processes and company culture.

There's a lot of internal transparency around company metrics, finances, and what other product teams are working on.

Work/life balance is great. Hours are fairly flexible, and remote work is a possibility depending on your team and situation. Good healthcare, 401K, and parental leave regardless of gender.

Cons

Meetup was founded in 2002, so there's a good amount of design & technical debt. There also isn't much documentation around why certain product decisions were made in the past. Recently Meetup has been dedicating a lot of resources to rectifying these issues, though, which will make them faster in the future.

In terms of office environment: I love the open layout, but I wish there were more carpets, or dividers, or acoustical ceiling tiles—anything to reduce noise. I want to be able to have discussions at my desk without forcing my neighbors two aisles over to put on headphones, and vice versa.

6. "This Company Cares"

I have been working at Meetup full-time

Pros

So many companies talk about caring, about doing good, but it's rare to find one that really does. From the CEO to the freshest engineer, this is a company of good people.

Cons

Still struggling to transition to a larger team. Needs more scaffolding and infrastructure.

7. "Most fun you could probably have at any software engineering job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Meetup is a mission driven organization and they have done a great job staying true to it. The office culture is great, overall low pressure, supportive environment, mostly flat management structure, beer fridge is always stocked. They take very good care of their employees. In the past they were not great about keeping up with technological trends but that has since become a focus and there are now a lot of opportunities to work on the cutting edge. If you like writing scala (backend) or react (frontend), this is definitely a good place to be.

Cons

None, it was a great experience

Advice to Management

Continue pushing for developer empowerment.

"great place to be a part of"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Meetup (Less than a year)

Pros

excellent people. excellent mission. excellent culture. excellent
    i feel like i own my work and can make a positive impact, both in the company and on society

Cons

not much to complain of... perhaps understaffed

9. "Chill but challenging!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Work at a company that provides people experiences, not things.
    Completely advertising free so we can focus completely on the user experience.
    Great company culture, everyone is extremely friendly and approachable.
    Unafraid to try new technologies and work processes.
    Our mission comes before our profits.
    Employees have great perks and benefits.

Cons

Although there are tons of great ideas, it's core product hasn't changed since the company's inception. One of our company's values is "be bold and change the company", but I feel that most management is too busy with hitting their goals.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it feels that upper management isolates themselves from the rest of the company. It'd be nice if upper management reached out for one on one's or small group discussions with employees. I believe that Meetup employees have tons of great ideas to improve our product and processes that could be heard.

"Fun but challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Meetup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meetup attracts smart, interesting, mission-driven people who are self-driven. There's a lot to do at this mid-size but growing company, so there are always opportunities to take on new challenges. Moves by senior management over the last 1-2 years have injected new life, and the company seems poised for bigger things.

Cons

A culture of accountability and results-driven work has been slow to take place in some sectors, and sometimes actions can be over-discussed, giving you that "too many cooks" feeling.