Meetup Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 26, 2019

3.6
David Siegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Cool Product, great mission, even better people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Meetup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best place to work. You'll be challenged and you'll need to work hard... this is a GOOD thing. Someone famous said if you want to be an A player, surround yourself with A players. Meetup employs A players.

Cons

Meetup is 16 years old, and there is a lot of tech baggage that goes along with that. Be prepared to navigate some weird bugs and frustrated customers as a result.

2. "You're for tech meetups dammit"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Meetup (More than a year)

Pros

free coffee and summer BBQ
    Ostensible modernization

Cons

old CEO didn't like tech Meetup's
    Focus on new products filling needs nobody has while ignoring organizer requests
    Top 5 every week conflicted with sprint planning

Advice to Management

meet the needs of tech meetup organizers.

"Great team, questionable future..."

I have been working at Meetup full-time

Pros

The people at meetup are great and make coming to work fun. Though recently with changes to upper management, there were some lay offs (very poorly handled) as expected, the team is great, location is great and office environment is human and chill.

Cons

Upper management isn’t the best, more changes are expected as the weeks go by BUT it’s concerning as a current team member.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and don’t cheapen the experience for members digitally and in person.k

4. "Software Engineer Intern"

I worked at Meetup full-time

Pros

Trainings and coaching sessions with mentors and managers;
    Fully immersed in the engineering team, and have the full opportunity to take the lead upon projects

Cons

Limited resources to get help from sometimes because of shortage of engineers available around;
    Trainings need to be improved

5. "Mission driven"

Current Employee - Strategy
    Current Employee - Strategy

I have been working at Meetup full-time

Pros

A real world changing mission
    Extremely nice and smart people
    A very non-political environment
    Good growth opportunities
    Gaining real steam

Cons

Haven't nailed their growth model yet
    Going through a fair amount of change between WeWork and other leadership changes

"Kind and empowering people, true and honest mission, puppies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Meetup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart, loyal, hardworking teammates who are also genuinely fun to be around. People pitch in and help one another learn, work, lend a hand

- HR is available and visible. They treat people like human beings and they're extremely organized, disciplined, caring

- Dog-friendly office! Perks such as drink fridges and snacks, weekly breakfast, rooftop, budget for conferences/L&D, happy hours

- Ability to see and feel the impact we're having on lives by interacting with meetup organizers and members at quarterly/annual events (hearing their stories and how we've changed their lives has been one of the absolute highlights of my time so far)

- Growth opportunities, guest speakers, training sessions available on rotation

- Acquisition by WeWork gave us access to their buildings around the world, as such I've been able to work remotely for a day, week etc while exploring a new building or a new city

- Honestly it does feel that everyone who works here does so because they believe in what we're building- it is mission driven and that is so clear

Cons

- Benefits are changing in light of the acquisition, losing vacation days, lost 401k match
    - Leadership knows this and have already made progress, but they should continue to be better about addressing the ever-changing strategies and own the missteps. We'll get there but it should be transparently, together

Sep 17, 2018 – VP of Employee Experience

This team and their dedication to Meetup's mission is powerful and unique. I hear you about the transparency; it's critical, and a big part of how we'll continue to work together -- Dana... More

"For the sake of your mental health, don't ever come work here"

I have been working at Meetup full-time

Pros

Meetup organizers are amazing and have stuck around with a subpar product for some reason instead of going to Facebook to do it for free

Cons

Toxic people in leadership and the continued promotion of terrible managers
    Disorganization and unclear career paths
    Constantly shifting priorities
    Very bad product and dying business

Sep 17, 2018 – VP of Employee Experience

You're right, Meetup organizers are amazing, and we all want to do everything we can to help them get together and have life-changing IRL experiences. You're obviously not having the impact you want... More

"Great mission, smart people. Culture suffering a bit after acquisition"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Meetup full-time

Pros

- The temperament and skill of the engineers that work at Meetup would be the envy of any company building software.

- One of the few tech companies doing something good in the world. One of the few places you can take full pride in what you build, because the business model does not rely on taking advantages of users.

- Better diversity than most tech companies.

Cons

- Benefits slashed after WeWork acquisition

- Increasingly a high-pressure, demanding culture. Priorities shift regularly and engineering rarely gets to finish a project before being moved to another project with a tight deadline

- The communication gap between individual contributors and leadership has widened recently.

Advice to Management

As you increase head count and stratify the reporting structure, it becomes difficult or impossible for individual contributors to shape work culture, deadlines, and priorities at Meetup.

Take accountability for culture, vision, focus, and quality. It's clear that leadership is starting to address this, but it's important to follow through.

Sep 17, 2018 – VP of Employee Experience

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. You're right, the continued follow through is where we'll create the amazing experience we want for our members and organizers. Please come find me if you ever... More

"Great Mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Meetup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's nothing truly evil about Meetup. The business model is sane and the effect of the product on society is generally positive. In this era, it's a great feeling to work for a progressive company that promotes goodness.

Cons

Because it's "old" in Internet years, the Meetup product can be challenging to work with. Changing something can feel like trying to move mountains—which makes you learn a lot too.

Advice to Management

Think more about Meetup outside of the NYC bubble.

"Toxic work culture clashes with promise of diversity and 'being different'"

I worked at Meetup full-time

Pros

The incredible organizers and members who, despite Meetup's disconnection from their feedback and needs, manage to change lives with their work.

Cons

Instead of itemizing the instances in which there was a disconnect between Meetup's outward vision and the reality of their workplace, suffice it to say: If you care and want to have an impact, you will be isolated and convinced that 'you're [not communicating properly], or [not a team player], or [don't have realistic expectations],' and so on. Before you accept any offer from them, do yourself a favor and search LI for ex Meetup employees. See what they're up to and contrast their backgrounds with those who are in management positions. You can join Meetup and collect a paycheck, benefits and not care about what you're putting into the world - or you can search elsewhere for meaningful work. The choice is that stark.

Advice to Management

While given the promotion paths of truly toxic individuals, and the systematic firing of those who actually tried to have an impact, I don't have faith that anything will change: The organizers who form your community have needs, and until they translate into meaningful product, they will be (and are!) searching for alternative platforms. Change or become a sidebar in WeWork's dashboard.