MemoryBlue Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Chris Corcoran & Marc Gonyea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This is the ideal first tech sales position, especially if you are a recent grad or changing career paths" (in 25 reviews)

• "The best company culture you could ask for" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "May get stuck with a bad client, but still gives you a ton of experience" (in 6 reviews)

• "Harassment/Threats from upper management" (in 5 reviews)

1. "MemoryBlue Is A Unique Opportunity To Kickstart Your Sales Career"

Former Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MemoryBlue is a unique opportunity that can change your life. Like anything worthwhile, it takes work and persistence. The training you get here will prepare you for a verity of high tech and sales roles, and how to work hard as a persistent sales professional. Provided you work hard and persist though the dips, you can thrive and advance here. Even on the "harder" tech clients.

Cons

There are days of euphoria and days you question why you do it. Do not get discouraged if you don’t crush it out of the box, or if like me, you hit a dip once you think you have it figured out. Take it by the horns and maximize what you can from it, and also don’t forget to stop and take in the sights from time to time. Also talk to management, be upfront. The most successful people here tend to be the most engaged.

People who make it though by following memoryBlue way come out much better for it, and well prepared for their next career challenges. Its not a "con" really, but understand, its hard job, probably the hardest in sales. Learn to even out the wins and losses and you can thrive.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping. The training and atmosphere leads to creating top quality sales pros.

"You get what you put in"

Former Employee - SDR in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - SDR in Austin, TX

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Culture is cool
    unlimited PTO (assuming you can pay for it)
    Bonus structure incentives for top performers

Cons

Managers can be hit or miss
    Training is shoddy and over-hyped
    Some clients are decent, others will outright make you miserable
    have to pay $5000 if you leave the company
    8.5 hour days instead of 8

Advice to Management

memoryBlue is really all about 1) the effort you put in and 2) the luck of the draw.
    1) is important because the training (the main reason memoryBlue has attracted so much young talent) is over-hyped.

The entire training regiment consists of listening to 5 discs of sales training from supposed "sales gurus." What's worse is that most of that advice applies to the entire sales process which you won't even begin to touch. Other "quality" events include weekly call evaluation by your peers, which doesn't really hold its weight when most of the people who are criticizing you are equally as new to sales are you are. There's a severe lack of professional, qualified opinion that can really stunt your growth. Overall, the training is over-hyped, and, given how much it is emphasized, there is really not much you can expect except to get your hands dirty and put the effort it in yourself either outside of work or through your co-workers

What I find absurd is that memoryBlue expects you to pay a fee should you leave the company before 15 months. This fine is absolutely egregious given the resources they actually provide you with - memoryBlue seems to think that they offer you world-class training and support, when it couldn't further from the truth.

The culture is a mixed bag, but if you connect with the right people and get advice from the top performers, you'll find that there's a lot of connections you can make here. I have nothing but respect for the people who have performed here at the highest level, but they attribute their success not to memoryBlue's supposed training (which is laughable and over-hyped, at best), but because they put the effort in to succeed when their managers couldn't help them.

Overall, memoryblue's training program is about as mythical as a unicorn, and this job is pretty much the lottery when it comes to your satisfaction and compensation. If you have a position which you know for sure will pay more, I would stick with that, instead.

3. "Start to Sales Career"

Current Employee - SDR in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - SDR in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- If you are looking to get into sales, especially high-tech, this is the place to start your career. memoryBlue provides a lot of training and coaching which opens many doors for future growth
    - If you work hard you can get promoted quickly
    - The culture and SDRs are awesome. Easy way to meet a lot of cool people
    - The base spike at a year means that 1 year out of college (or 1 year from starting) you'll make a base salary of 55k or 60k + any bonuses
    - You get 3K at a year to spend on a vacation

Cons

- The job is not easy and comes with stress that you'll find in a typical sales environment
    - You may have to switch teams or managers

4. "company"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great foot in the door job for beginning a sales career, great training techniques provided

Cons

over emphasized training, bonuses are tough to receive fully unless always hitting quota

Advice to Management

less emphasis on weekly training after couple months of employment. better compensation based on performance. rewarded fully as opposed to over a monthly basis

"Is this place still up and running?"

Former Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After reading the reviews below mine... I think you have a good idea of what goes in this box.

Cons

Where do we start? False promises. Poor training. Lack of interest in their new hires.

The clients are promised "Tons of good meetings/leads" and then the SDRs are whipped into getting them. Very little training provided. Good luck!

And what is with the $3,000 signing bonus? Is MemoryBlue trying to operate like a professional sports team? LOL "Signing bonus, How cool!!" That's how you know it's not legitimate. No employers should be offering signing bonuses on $50K - 70K salaries. Just stop. You're insulting all of us.

Make your compensation packages more lucrative or up the salary. Stop with the "signing bonus". Anyways, Peace out. That is all!

Advice to Management

Just give it a rest. A third party "Inside Sales Firm"

It's a great idea. Just not being executed by management. (Managing Director in San Jose, specifically)

6. "SDR - San Jose"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere, fantastic management that cares about your professional development and career growth.

Business model allows for rapid growth (typically SDRs are in a new position within 6-12 months, sometimes within 8 weeks).

This is the ideal first tech sales position, especially if you are a recent grad or changing career paths. The training, transparency, and culture/networking opportunities are a formula for creating long-term success in the SaaS/High-tech sales ecosystem.

Cons

There is some luck involved in success; most clients are doable, but some are definitely better than others.

Like all sales jobs the high highs comes with low lows. When you're having a good week you feel incredible, when you haven't booked in 10 days it can be difficult to maintain confidence and motivation.

Advice to Management

Dan, Joe and Nimit keep doing what you're doing. Your accessibility and work ethic are what make mB great.

7. "Great Entry Level Job"

Current Employee - SDR in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - SDR in McLean, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for memoryBlue for close to a year now, you learn all the ins and outs of inside sales. As they emphasize during the interview process, it’s not an easy job. However, you usually play the most important role in your client’s business. It’s overwhelming at first, but if you produce, usually your client sticks around for a while. They recently updated the base salary to tenured SDRs, which is really awesome. You also really get to know the people you work with closely, assuming you stick around longer than a month or two. Most, not all, are recent college grads and this is either their first job coming out of school or first sales job. Finally, speaking with others, the work/life balance here is actually pretty good. You are never required to work weekends, and the ball is in your court to leave by 5:15 almost every day. Sales is a job that is based on other people’s schedules.

Cons

When I first started at mB, I was overwhelmed. Being my first sales job, I didn’t know what to expect and you learn so much so quickly. There are good days, and then there are really bad ones. The good ones make you feel like a million bucks, the bad make you feel like an idiot when sometimes it is out of your control. The base salary before you hit quota/tenure is somewhat low. You have little to no control over which clients you’ll be working with, so if you’re struggling on a campaign you will often be required to work harder than those who are frequent quota hitters.

Advice to Management

None. Marc and Chris are awesome and always greet me with a smile. memoryBlue took a flyer on me coming out of school with the little amount of sales experience I had, which I will forever be grateful. This job is the weed out class everyone had in college: people leave, but those that stick around have a promising sales career in front of them. This job, if nothing else, will prove whether or not you want to stick in sales or try something else. The biggest takeaway I have is rely on yourself and your abilities that you learn, but never be scared to ask for help. Delivery managers and training sessions are there to help you learn, so take advantage of those and hustle!

"Probably not worth the risk if you have other job options"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is okay for the most part

Cons

If you are seriously interested in a sales career, you can make way more money as an SDR at another company. When you interview, you're told that the commission will make this job worthwhile, but the reality is that your experience at memoryBlue is completely dependent on the client you get. Get a great client and you can make some money and skate by under the radar, get a hard client and your life will be hell.

The possibilities for advancement are enticing, but unfortunately it also leaves lots of mid-twenty year olds with no management experience in positions of power. Some are great, most are not and are more concerned with how to further their own careers.

Advice to Management

Treat your SDRs with respect. If you treated employees the way they deserve to be treated, you wouldn't have to make them sign a contract locking them in for 15 months with a consequence of paying $5,000 if they leave.

"Sales Development Representative - San Jose"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- My colleagues and the other SDRs that I met through this company.
    - The location of the office - Right neat San Pedro Square Market. Great food.
    - Great 1st job out of college because now I know exactly what to NOT look for when joining a company - Plus I had the worst so it can only go up from here!

Cons

- Bribing employees to leave fake Glassdoor reviews.
    - Taking money from your paycheck because you constantly kept on hitting your quota. So they raised it to a point where it was literally impossible to hit it. I believe mine went up to 38 meetings a month...
    - Lies and promises from management
    - Zero training - We had a few training where we just sat in a room and watched TED talk
    - Management talking down to you to your clients. Luckily I was closer to my client's management so they hired me out of memoryBlue ASAP. Even the clients left memoryBlue because they knew how bad they were treating their employees.
    - Management not showing up or showing up after lunch because they went too hard the night before.
    - Harassment/Threats from upper management

Honestly, I'm so happy my client hired me out from this consulting firm. Literally it was the worst job I ever had.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees and actually try to make a difference.
    - Be good people and treat everyone the way you want to be treated.
    - Don't lie constantly because no one is going to trust you
    - Don't take money from your employees if they are working hard and hitting quota. That is the point of sales - to make money. Don't take that away.
    - Reward us instead of threatening us.

"Reviews below mine seem fake"

Current Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to write 5 words in this box to post this review.

Cons

There is no way MemoryBlue has this many 5-star reviews with titles like "great"

When I worked for MemoryBlue bribing employees to leave positive GlassDoor reviews was common. Also posting "fake reviews" is something this company does to entice new people to join.

I hear they are giving out $3,000 signing bonuses to get people onboard. haha. This is an obvious tactic to get people to sign on and then force them into staying because of their BS contract. If you are looking into this company, don't fall for this trick. Look for more established companies that are growing their sales development teams. You will receive better technical training and better career opportunities.

Jeanne fired 20+ people in the 9 months I was there. They lie to their clients consistently and then try to display fake results. It's almost sad.

Advice to Management

Please! haha