MemoryBlue Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Chris Corcoran & Marc Gonyea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best way to launch a successful career in high-tech sales (in 24 reviews)

• You learn a lot and you feel like you are ready to take on a larger role by the time you leave (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • May get stuck with a bad client, but still gives you a ton of experience (in 6 reviews)

• When I left the company management only seemed concerned about receiving the money back and nothing else (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good job, with good people, but luck is very important"

Current Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Young coworkers and a good amount of work social events, so there is plenty of fun to be had.
    -You will gain lots of sales experience in a short period of time.
    -If you have a good client you will see lots of success and a good chunk of money.
    -Some of the managers are really great people who will help you out a lot.
    -Just moved to a new office.
    -Co-founders are cool people.
    -Good potential for advancement/you can get hired out by your client(s) to very interesting roles
    -Monthly raise and bonus opportunities

Cons

-Bad clients can be difficult and frustrating
    -Some aspects of the company are not fair (ie. people with easy clients aren't always given higher quotas so they disproportionately win competitive bonuses)
    -the company sets goals that are often much higher then client expectations, so a completely satisfied client does not mean you will be making more money.
    -Work can be tedious.
    -Some of the less experienced or overly competitive managers can make your life very difficult.
    -IT problems are somewhat common.

TL;DR: I am enjoying my time here, but I have a good client and a good manager. I know people without those aspects who are struggling. However, most people are happy, and many people have used the company to jump start very successful careers in sales. The pay is also solid for an entry level position.

Advice to Management

Try to be a little more employee focused. The client obviously comes first, but do your best to value your SDRs, as they EVERYTHING to you.

2. "Great place to start your high tech career"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- instill work ethic that trumps any other company
    - Gain insight to many companies in the tech industry
    - Great training program to give college graduates a great base to work from
    - Competitive atmosphere
    - Pay is competitive for entry level
    - Great launching pad
    - First Friday’s and other team outings
    - Managers make it tough because they want to see you exceed. High quotas will make your life easier once you get hired out or move to new company.

Cons

- Some of SDR’s will instill doubt just because they aren’t doing well. In reality they just need to grind harder.
    - Might not start with a great client but eventually you will get one.

Advice to Management

Cut out the people who are just collecting a paycheck and get people who want to advance their sales careers.

"Come in, Learn the ropes, Move on"

Former Employee - SDR in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - SDR in Austin, TX

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you've decided you want to do tech sales, then this might be the place for you to get started. You'll have access to the industry, to sales training, and get paid to learn (don't expect to make millions here - it's more a platform to learn the ropes before moving on).

Pros: on the job training, supportive and transparent DM, helpful/encouraging teammates, hired out in 7 months

Some advice: Come in with a goal in mind and work towards it everyday.

Cons

Company wide competitions and changes to policies were, on occasion, disruptive.

Cons: uncertainty, ever increasing quotas, competing interests

Advice to Management

Given the nature of the business, the age of most employees, and the industry, you're running a well-oiled machine. Just keep in mind that every campaign, every client, every DM, and every SDR is different. I doubt that's news to anyone, but it's good to remember.

Dec 6, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for posting your detailed feedback here on Glassdoor. First and foremost, we're thrilled that you had a positive experience with memoryBlue. Our mission, with respect to every new hire, is... More

4. "Memoryblue review"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Challenging but learn a lot about selling
    Work in teams
    Employee growth

Cons

All depends on your client if you have a good experience or bad experience
    Could get paid more

Dec 6, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for taking a moment to provide feedback on your experience at memoryBlue. Keep hustling!

"San Jose Office is a Revolving Door"

Current Employee - SDR
    Current Employee - SDR

I have been working at MemoryBlue (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people in the office.
    Everyone is motivated to work in technology sales and make money.

Cons

- MemoryBlue underpays you for your work.
    - Your clients are given very high expectations of what you will provide (over promising and under delivering is common)
    - Public humiliation for having "bad calls" is also common.
    - Too much micro managing.
    - Nobody in the office has technical experience so learning about the technologies that each client sells is almost impossible.
    - Jeanne can be 2-faced.
    - Stop with the 30 minute trainings every day. They are redundant and annoying.

Advice to Management

Good idea to get college aged folks a job.

Jan 12, 2018 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your anonymous feedback here on Glassdoor. We appreciate the Pros you’ve listed above and as well as your point of view regarding the Cons. Respectfully, regarding a few of your points... More

6. "Great place to start your career"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Introduction to a structured work environment with a lot of the benefits of a start-up.
    Strives to be a meritocracy.
    Presents successful employees with many options to progress their careers.
    Really a great proving ground to determine if sales is for you or not. Even if it is not, you will learn skills here that will be valuable the rest of your career.

Cons

Not all clients are created equal.
    Quantity vs. Quality and the rewards therein will always be a challenge in the lead gen biz.

Advice to Management

Begin pivoting into other outsourced arenas to leverage your business model. Look into other sectors. Develop a campus representatives program to sure-up your pipeline of candidates nation-wide and increase your reach. Consider leveraging your knowledge of the tech/startup ecosystem to get into M&A.

Nov 14, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for the feedback about your time at memoryBlue. We’re incredibly happy that you found your tenure with us to be valuable, the Pros you list are all areas we focus on in order to provide a... More

7. "Great Place To Start"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

memoryBlue is a solid place to get started in tech sales. Making cold calls is not for the faint-hearted, but memoryBlue has created a fun working environment where everyone is encouraged to succeed and learn from each other. I feel my manager genuinely cares about my success and is always there when I need him. You will learn a lot about different sales techniques and receive constant feedback on how you can improve. You also get exposure to different verticals in the tech industry, and I feel working here will be very marketable in the future.

Cons

My biggest complaint is how you don't get to choose your client and your success isn't necessarily up to you. While some employees might have an awesome client, with a supportive Account Executive, an easier territory/persona to call on, etc., others get stuck with a not-so-good one. It can be discouraging to watch people make 100-125%+ of their quota while I feel I can barely make 50% because of factors stacked against me. These are things you won't know before you accept employment at memoryBlue and is a risk everyone takes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to encourage your employees professional growth. I enjoy the company outings/team experience to boost morale. Also, I understand pleasing the client is important but at what cost to your employee?

Oct 30, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for your genuine feedback about our firm here on Glassdoor. We’re happy to hear that your experience has been positive during your tenure with us. We have worked hard to design an... More

"Excellent gateway to a sales career"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time

Pros

Hands on management and great access to sales resources. If you're concerned with developing your skills and growing as a sales person, all you have to do is ask your manager for help/direction. You also have ample time to listen to well regarded sales training tapes used by many successful sales professionals. Overall the work environment is pretty liberal which is a pro and a con because it's easy to get caught up in the social aspect of the office. If you want to excel and hit your numbers you'll have to be disciplined. It's a lot of hard work and can be very frustrating but this job is an investment in your future not an investment in the present. If you keep the right attitude and focus on developing your skills you will eventually be rewarded with a beneficial career path. Also a positive atmosphere and company culture.

Cons

The bonus structure can be a bit flawed at times. Clients can change at a moments notice and depending on your circumstances, it could be hard to get into a groove and catch momentum. Like I mentioned in the pros column, this is not where you go to make money. This is where you go to get an opportunity to make great money in the future if you apply yourself. The challenges here will give you an edge over the competition down the road. Cold calling can be taxing but if you're serious about growing in sales, this is a necessary evil.

Advice to Management

Take more time to really understand the nuance of each SDR's individual client. Sometimes talented SDRs who are doing great work miss out on bonuses while others are making them with ease. There could obviously just be a gap in talent, but many times this is due to a difference in client and some people make a decent bonus while equally deserving SDRs get the shaft (for lack of better phrasing). Find ways to reward the talented employees who may be calling to a more challenging vertical in a more complicated space.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for posting your feedback on memoryBlue here. Your balanced comments and advice are all well-thought out, and we’ll be sure to give it careful consideration as a firm. Many of our Alumni... More

9. "My Favorite Work Environment To This Day"

Former Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Tons of potential clients that are typically fighting for your service
    - Marc and Chris and great and like to visit each office throughout the year
    - You will never find a better culture than memoryBlue: happy hours, Avg. age of employees, group outings, plenty of alumni to network with
    - As someone who had over 10 clients in a 6 month span I was able to learn a lot about different technologies and pick what was interesting to me
    - The delivery managers are always available to those who want to learn and be in a sales development role

Cons

- More of a disclaimer than a con: memoryBlue is not for everyone. There will be people who fail and there will be people that succeed.
    - If you do not show up to work everyday you will fail behind a lot faster than you think
    - You will probably want to cry once or twice

Advice to Management

- Stop hiring under qualified candidates or improve screening process
    - Offer base pay increases not just bonus/variable opportunities

Oct 13, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for your candid insights in this forum. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed the work environment at memoryBlue and even more happy that you gained a variety of tech sales experiences during your... More

10. "Great Place to Launch Your Career"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at memory blue for 6 months. I was fortunate enough to be able to move out to California with the company to launch my career in Silicon Valley.

Memory Blue is great place for young people who are looking to launch a career in tech. You have the ability to work with other young people who have the same goals as yourself. If you work hard and keep with the system you will get hired out by a tech company which will literally launch your career.

I have seen a few posts from disgruntled employees who have been fired talking negatively about the company. However, these people have the ability to get a job extremely quickly due to having tech sales experience. 90% of employees whether let go or left voluntarily have landed amazing jobs.

You will never find an idyllic company as a young professional, but if you love working hard and having a great company culture you will thrive with a positive outlook.

Cons

Not everyone will have the same experience. Not everyone will succeed but this place will help you build your skills to go out into the workforce.

Advice to Management

Provide ways to help SDRs move up in the ranks such as senior SDRs with more responsibilities.

Oct 13, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for the feedback on Glassdoor. We’re incredibly happy that our model helped you launch your career in tech sales. That’s the major goal for employees at our firm. As with most things in... More