MemoryBlue Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Chris Corcoran & Marc Gonyea

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Awesome opportunity if you want to learn what it takes to be in tech sales but don't have much to any experience (in 17 reviews)

• The culture is great for students joining the workforce out of college as you will most likely be working with similarly aged colleagues (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • May get stuck with a bad client, but still gives you a ton of experience (in 6 reviews)

• The only concern that stood out was visibility from upper management was not always there (in 4 reviews)

"Best Place to build your Sales Career!"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at memoryBlue has been very rewarding, and I am grateful for the experience and opportunities it has created for me. The amount of exposure and credibility you build here will propel you in your sales career. I have enjoyed my time here and I truly believe it is the best place to build your sales career. The amount of sales training and experience you will receive at memoryBlue will give you a direct advantage over most sales representative in the game (regardless of experience). Competing amongst 100+ SDR’s will not only polish your sales craft but will expose you to many different styles and skills. I came into this company extremely dedicated to hit my quota and build my brand, and I was able to accomplish all my goals. The culture at memoryBlue is absolutely great, there are always fun events, trips and celebrations to attend. I will continue to come back as an alumni because of the culture and people that have influenced me to succeed. I would highly recommend working here if you believe you are talented and motivated in sales!

-Great Training (all the resources you will need to be successful)
    -Great Exposure (memoryBlue has many clients in the Tech world)
    -Great Culture (Management is very open and is always willing to help)
    -Very Lucrative Career Path (Great Pay and Bonus Structure) (one of the highest paying industries within sales)
    -Great Place to work! (The company builds you into a sales genius!)

Do great as an SDR and the sky is the limit, memoryBlue has many different career avenues to explore!

Cons

From my experience, if you do your job and stay professional, there are no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding, memoryblue is doing great!

"It was worth it for me but isn't for everyone"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lower Management-
    To start with, the lower level managers are recently SDRs which makes them relatable and understanding of the client, quota, and what is reasonable/not reasonable. Both Justin and Joe which were the current Delivery Managers when I worked there were the most helpful managers I have ever had. They had different styles and both did things over and above what any manager had the obligation to do. Justin took out his quota crushers to dinners with his own money because he genuinely cared about his SDRs and wanted to recognize the ones going the extra mile. I hope that in the future that Justin is actually recognized for his hard work and eventually gets promoted to a Managing Director role because he deserves it more than anyone. Joe was caring and would help you get to where you wanted to be, he always spoke about the future which helped me think there was another side outside of mB.

Culture-
    We all became very close fast, this group of SDRs came to work hard, enjoy happy hours after work, and the help between everyone was something I haven't experienced anywhere else that I've worked. We had great culture club events and it was a perfect transition from college to mB.

Clients-
    Now that I am out I realize what experience I got at mB, i hear all the prior clients we worked with when I prospect and I automatically know what they do. I have connections all over the Bay from working next to other SDRs working in different tech spaces. The only issue with the clients is the relationship from SDR to client. There were a lot of conversations that were said behind employees backs. And if you didn't like you client tough luck you are stuck with them till they finally left or they pulled you off the campaign. I know many SDRs burned by a client hoping to get hired on but somehow....it works out RARELY. Mostly because the hire out fee from mB to the client is very high just to receive the SDR.

Info about the opportunity-
    The job is an 8-5, the quota is rarely attainable, but if you have the opportunity to get hired out thats where the gold is (if its a right fit for you)

Cons

Upper Management-
    I had two Managing Directors while I was there, the first was hands off but if I ever needed help the door was open with very good advice. People had varying opinions on that MD but I believed they were 100x better than the replacement. Too keep it short Upper Management turned from manageable to horrid. The office was filled with lies, bad attitudes, and a lot of angry employees that did not understand a single decision that was made. Nothing that manager did made sense and I was leaving work questioning why I was working for a manager with the door closed, no respect, and passive aggressive emails. The only reason I am writing so negatively about this individual now is this person still works at memoryBlue and continues to push employees out the door screaming. Eventually I hope that they learn to get rid of the toxic person in the office because above all this place does have a lot of positives. But if she is still in management I would not recommend working here because I and many many others have wanted to leave because of the extreme frustration. It's impossible to work in a place where not a single person respects the highest management.

Sign-On Bonus-
    This was not under my contract, but beware! There are many people in a toxic environment right now because they can't get out due to 3000 they have to pay back. I continue to feel bad for the employees stuck there under those conditions.

Advice to Management

Chris-I loved that you were so hands on, you cared! And we all felt it, you listened to us with our concerns. Thanks for the opportunity and I thank you and Marc everyday for the office you made out in the Silicon Valley.
    Marc- Even though your mostly behind the scenes I still loved your insight when you came in for trainings and popped in from time to time.

"If you like micro-managing and "homework" this is the place for you"

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time

Pros

Great place if you're fresh out of college and new to the area.

Cons

Managers are young and don't know how to manage. Given "homework" and busy work which doesn't allow you to focus your time on what you should be doing, selling and booking meetings. Too much emphasis put on strict "times to call" and 100 dials.

Advice to Management

Let go a bit. Let your employees excel by allowing them to breath and be grown-ups. As long as the work gets done it should matter on the micro-managing. There's no need for hand holding; everyone is an adult.

Sep 13, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to post feedback here on Glassdoor. We appreciate and respect your right to disagree with some elements of our approach to sales effectiveness. What we do know is that our... More

"Great place for great talkers and "people persons""

Former Employee - SDR in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - SDR in Vienna, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free training that will become a good foundation for what you will be doing over and over again, if you will be in the sales profession. This here is worth thousands, but you get it for free - in fact, they pay you to complete it.
    - Their unique, competitive environment means that if you REALLY "want it," and if you tell yourself you will stop at nothing to "crush it," you will definitely surpass the vast majority of your fellow SDRs and rise to the top

Cons

- Work hours in "the real world" are 8 hours a day, not 9. A 45-hour work week instills hustle and makes getting hired out feel like that much greater of a reward, so it's a brilliant management move; but it's still 12.5% greater than a 40 hour week. If you think of a 12.5% difference on your paycheck, that's huge.

Advice to Management

A recent change to the compensation plan disincentivized individual performance in favor of team performance, which means that if you get on a losing team, you might end up carrying the weight for everyone, and if you get on a winning team, you can skate by without having to pull your weight. This is meant to enhance the team building aspect but it removes significant reward from SDRs' individual performance. This is not how sales works, and although it adds a unique flare to the memoryBlue opportunity, it may inadvertently keep afloat your low performers who ought to be let go and hold down your top performers.

Sep 13, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for posting your feedback about memoryBlue here on Glassdoor. We’re happy to hear/see that you generally had a positive experience with us as you launched your sales career. We believe... More

"Great first job!"

Former Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment with good benefits

Cons

Clients can vary in difficulty

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing! Getting trained on the memoryBlue method of business development put me in a better position in my next job.

Sep 13, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for posting feedback here on Glassdoor - we're thrilled that you loved your mB experience. Best of luck going forward!

"A Launching Pad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can tell you with clarity, that this Company is a good choice. I worked there for 2+ Years.

- Culture is amazing, You do build genuine friendships
    - Can take a fresh college grad or one with minimal sales experience and fast track them.
    - I came in from data entry making $26k / year-
    - Yr 1 mB - $55k (SDR Level)
    - Yr 2 mB - $70k (Promotion)
    - I left memoryBlue with an offer of $60k base +$25k Commission. (Proven fast-track) - (Had multiple offers)

-I would say I performed well (Sales is about confidence) From reading the reviews it sounds like the complaints are coming from California - I bet they grew up wrapped in bubble wrap and wore elbow pads. Let's just say, in the South we pull up our boot straps and get the job done.

- It is a good opportunity - If you want to pursue sales
    - Learned everything I know about sales thus far from mB (Masters of Cold Calling)

Cons

- There are cons most definitely (Sales, things will change)
    - It is true, not all clients are equal - But managers know that, they're on your side

Advice to Management

- Older PPM accounts I would throw out
    - Develop a quota balance system from the managers discretion. A good manager should be able to read the market and client's expectation and set a fair quota.

Sep 13, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to post extensive feedback here on Glassdoor while shining a very vivid spotlight on your own personal experience with us. We love to hear how this role has helped... More

"Great Launching Pad"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vienna, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great place to start your sales career. If you are looking to stay in sales this a good place to gain the skill and knowledge for future endeavors. You will stand out from your peers in your next role.

-You can't beat the culture- coworkers are all friends and MB does a great job of hosting company events and keeping the workdays fun.

-Management takes the time to get to know you and invest in your success.

-Rising Stars program gives you great exposure to the technology industry at the end of your 15 months. This is how I got my current role.

-Teaches you how to manage your time accordingly and structure your day.

Overall I would recommend starting at memoryBlue- although the workflow may be tough/tedious at times it can lead to great opportunities down the road. In the world of sales you get out what you put in- this couldn't be more true in your role at memoryBlue.

Cons

-In some cases believe in quantity over quality.
    -Training can be repetitive at times.
    -Compensation/bonus structure changes consistently.
    - Young management, hired from within.

Advice to Management

Think about implementing working from home one day a week. While in the office especially with coworkers who you consider your friends distractions run high. People tend to work only during blitz times. At home work eliminates these distractions.

8. "Great experince"

Former Employee - SDR
    Former Employee - SDR

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

memoryBlue kick started my career in high-tech sales. I am currently working for one of the top tech companies in the Valley and credit it to my training and development at memoryBlue. The opportunity you receive to work with top companies, Ganesh and Costigan training and constant 1on1 training is beyond valuable. If I could go back I would do it all over again. It's a hustle and it's a grind but it's worth it.

Cons

If people in the office are not good for the culture and company get rid of them.

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - SDR in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - SDR in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great work environment. There are a lot of people my age to connect with but the work experience and the sales knowledge that I have gained in the little time that I've worked here is incredible.

Cons

It isn't a huge company and the pay is not the greatest. If you work hard you can make a lot but sometimes you get unlucky with a crappy client and there is nothing that you can do.

Advice to Management

I would institute a work from home policy. I find that I can often be more productive at home than in the office.

"Great Start for College Grads"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture (monthly outings, free food, quarterly parties), fast-paced, quick career growth

Cons

Unobtainable quotas at times, too much focus on quantity (not quality) of meetings

Advice to Management

Make sure to hire people who have talent in sales, but also who would fit in culturally. I've seen a shift in the company culture and a divide is becoming evident between different groups of people.