MemoryBlue Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Corcoran & Marc Gonyea

Pros
  • Awesome opportunity if you want to learn what it takes to be in tech sales but don't have much to any experience (in 17 reviews)

• If you are looking for a career in High-Tech sales memoryBlue is the absolute best place you can start (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • May get stuck with a bad client, but still gives you a ton of experience (in 6 reviews)

• I accepted a job with memoryBlue in San Jose, CA in October 2016 (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - SDR in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - SDR in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great work environment. There are a lot of people my age to connect with but the work experience and the sales knowledge that I have gained in the little time that I've worked here is incredible.

Cons

It isn't a huge company and the pay is not the greatest. If you work hard you can make a lot but sometimes you get unlucky with a crappy client and there is nothing that you can do.

Advice to Management

I would institute a work from home policy. I find that I can often be more productive at home than in the office.

2. "Great Start for College Grads"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture (monthly outings, free food, quarterly parties), fast-paced, quick career growth

Cons

Unobtainable quotas at times, too much focus on quantity (not quality) of meetings

Advice to Management

Make sure to hire people who have talent in sales, but also who would fit in culturally. I've seen a shift in the company culture and a divide is becoming evident between different groups of people.

"Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vienna, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue (Less than a year)

Pros

Driven and fun people work here. It's because of the environment co-owners Marc and Chris have created at mB. You will likely become great friends with your co-workers. This is also a company that values its alumni and includes them in company events and as guest speakers. There is the opportunity to work with incredible companies in exciting fields. However, memoryBlue is also a great company to grow a career with. There are great opportunities to reach management positions in different fields. The work was challenging but it will likely be one of your most memorable work experiences.

Cons

Some accounts are more challenging than others. This can make the job stressful.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop best practices in outbound sales with an emphasis on results.

Apr 19, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on mB here. As you mentioned, we love and value intensely the individuals that come through our walls, launch their tech sales careers here and ... More

5. "SDR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the clients, the opportunity to get hired out, and the environment in the Austin office while I was there. My manager worked well with me and was flexible, but each individual will have a different experience at MemoryBlue. You will be given chances. In all likelihood you will be able to find success if you work hard.

Cons

Did not always correctly assign qoutas. I had an instances where I was on pace to exceed all my goals by 10%, but during the third week of that month my qouta was adjusted up to an unattainable height. I addressed the issue with my manager, but he said there was nothing he could do. Many people have issues with attaining their commission, while others, depending on the client, are not ever able to make bonuses.

Lastly, some regional offices (Austin at times), struggled to find clients over a 3-6 month period. Demand for services was fluctuating and resulting in lay-offs to staff below quota during that time.

Advice to Management

Take DC office and replicate structure and ideas more successfully. Follow through on incentives. Hold mangers accountable.

Apr 19, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for taking time to post your feedback here on Glassdoor. We appreciate your insights and will take your suggestions for improvements seriously. One thing we should point out is that we do ... More

"For the sake of your sanity, stay far far away"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It got me where I am with my current company. Mainly out of luck/timing and because my current employer likes me

Cons

I worked at MemoryBlue quite some time ago and never intended to do a review. But I decided to take a gander over some current reviews today and was annoyed with how many positive reviews there were. The reason for my being annoyed by this was because I and others in the past have been bribed to put positive reviews in this site, and there is no way so many people had this many positive experiences with this horrible company. So it is pretty safe for me to assume there were some unethical bribes going on recently - and that's just the start with the unethical practices of this company. Yes, the training is way below par of what they pitch to you in your interview, and yes the quotas are ridiculous and about 90% of the time, unattainable. But, what really blows me away about this company is how unethical they are. The minute there isn't a lot business fueling the company, they go for the tenured SDRs who aren't hitting their unattainable quota. They will put you on PIP and if times are really tough, they will cut your salary by 50% for that current month and promise to fire you if you don't hit your number. I kid you not, they do that. Sounds pretty illegal, if not, at least incredibly unethical. And if you do not agree to get paid 50% less than what your contract promises, they will tell you that you will get fired that day. Now THAT, is grounds for a lawsuit in itself.
    Now, let's address management. The level of maturity that management in the San Jose office has, is similar to the level of a 17 year old high school "mean girl". They will lie to you and give you zero insight on what is going with the client THAT YOU WORK WITH. I can't even tell you how many lies I and my colleagues were told, just to lie. Management will also bully you and belittle you to keep control - since they're practically the same age as the SDRs so I assume they probably feel the need to. If I were to give someone advice about potentially taking a position at this company, I would say...DON'T.

Advice to Management

Chris and Marc - your biggest mistake was hiring your management team within. I understand internal growth, but the company has so much turnover, you need an outside perspective to set that place straight. Especially with the San Jose office. God speed.

May 5, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for posting anonymously on Glassdoor – this is the place where you’ve chosen to speak your mind, and we’d like to address some of these comments publicly. For starters, congratulations on ... More

7. "It's A Subjective Matter"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Energetic and competitive co-founders, puts Glengarry Glen Ross to shame!Jk but close.
    2. Layers to management & co-founders are thin.
    3. You'll develop an attitude of persistence and focus on growth if you do the job right. You can leverage this frame of mind as you move to other opportunities.

Cons

I think the best opportunity for growth is to become a Client Delivery Manager or Managing Director, being hired out just means your doing the same thing for an extra maybe $10k. Money should never be the ultimate deciding factor in your early 20's, focus on growth, being an apprentice of the co-founders or Vp of Sales at your new company should be the goal.

Advice to Management

To the co-founders, set up a 10 to 15 min introduction call with EVERY new hire on their first day or prior to them walking into their first day at the office. You want talented performers to perform? earn their trust first.

"Great way to break into tech sales"

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time

Pros

MemoryBlue offers a fun and energetic culture, structured sales training program, and a strong opportunity for promotion and career advancement.

I was on my account for less then three months before I had the opportunity to work directly for my client in house. I've been in sales and maketing for over 9 years and this was by far one of the best opportunities I've had.

Cons

The starting salary is competitive among other outsource marketing venders, but isn't what you would expect to make working in-house for a software or technology company. With that said, there was plenty of opportunities for raises and commission.

Advice to Management

Keep doing it the memoryBlue way. Keep educating and inspiring young professionals.

Jan 24, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for your open and honest feedback. We're proud of the atmosphere and opportunities we create here, but it's always good to hear about it directly from former team members. Best of luck in your ... More

9. "SDR"

Former Employee - SDR in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - SDR in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent almost 6 months at memoryBlue and learned an unbelievable amount. I was on clients that ranged from cyber security to disaster recovery so times were never dull. Sales is not an easy job, but the people you are surrounded with and the motivation from everyone around you is what really keeps you striving.

Cons

There are a lot of motivated people that want the same thing as you, so you have to be motivated and be able to get your work done. If you cannot, sales might not be the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing you! you're killing it!

"Sales Development Rep"

Former Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - SDR in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Great training. All management (sales team, talent team, DMs, and co-founders) are very helpful with any question or issue. Great people at the company. Overall, if you're looking to get your feet into the tech sales world - go work here!

Cons

Really no strong cons other than turnover rates are very high due to the business model of mB.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to read about all the success this company brings the tech sales world and its employees!

Dec 23, 2016 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for taking time to leave your thoughts here on our page. We're incredibly thrilled to hear how positive your experience was at mB - this is our goal for every single employee that walks ... More

"Great Opportunity But Not For Everyone"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MemoryBlue full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience.
    You'll make a ton of friends and professional connections.
    I had great managers during my time at the company.
    This job will show you how the sales process works and the possibilities available to you as a young sales professional.
    Happy Hours, company events, Bagel/Donut Thursdays.
    The CEOs are very personal and down to earth guys.
    If you're good on the phone or a natural sales person, you'll thrive in this environment.
    memoryBlue got me my next job, so I'm thankful for the time I spent there.

Cons

As the title says, this job isn't for everyone. If you're applying and interviewing here, I would try and figure out as much as possible what a real day in the life of an SDR is. Too often there are kids right out of college who have no idea what they're getting into which leads to a lot of turn over. Sales is not an easy profession but it does yield high rewards and opportunities.

Your experience here will truly depend on what client you're assigned to. There will be those who get an easy account and are able to leave for the entire day, there are those on harder account that will come in early and late leave late but not be rewarded for the efforts, and there are those who just kind of get by and do enough to stay employed.

Another issue that I have with the company is the managers are elevated from within. A lot of the time, they are not qualified for the position. I have seen several instances where a manager is the same age as his team members and had been at the company less time than his SDRs. How can you expect SDRs to show any respect or take managers seriously when just last week they were on the same client?

Unfortunately, I've heard that a ton of managers have left the company, which left the company with more inexperienced managers than experienced managers. I was fortunate to have great managers that taught me a lot.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great and I'm excited to see how the company expands.
    I'd say that looking for outside hires for managers would be a better alternative than having to settle for SDRs that have not been at the company very long.