Cover image for Metropolitan Opera Association

4 stars

3 stars

2 stars

1 star

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl™ on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Good benefits(in 7 reviews)
  • "1 hour lunch and dinner breaks, great coworkers,(in 6 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with(in 6 reviews)
Cons

Ratings by Demographics

Want more options?

This rating reflects the overall rating of Metropolitan Opera Association and is not affected by filters.

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 78 of over 94 reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2023

1. 5.0
      Aug 6, 2023
      Senior Customer Service Representative
      Current Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

good environment good team work

Cons

good opportunity to work here

Jun 16, 2023
        Business Outlook

Pros

Creative talented people. Inspiring arts. Pride in contributing to the arts and product and performances in meaningful ways. Team work and collaboration. Part of something special

Cons

Small teams without a lot of growth

2. Join the Metropolitan Opera Association team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 1.0
          Aug 2, 2022
          Development Associate
          Business Outlook

Pros

Getting tickets to the shows was a cool perk.

Cons

Seriously think twice before you decide to spend your time and energy working at the Metropolitan opera. The development department can be quite toxic, especially toward lower level staff. The head of the department expects far too much from her employees and pays next to nothing. I have watched her turn on people and use a tone with them that is never appropriate in the work place. The rest of the department does nothing and just turns a blind eye to the bad behavior. There is very little care toward any of the junior staff. They see anyone who is a coordinator or below as dispensable. There is a huge issue with delegation and piling work on these lower level staff because none of the higher ups actually know how to do anything. The HR department is useless and there were many days where I felt helpless and defeated. There are some very kind people that I met while working here but they cannot make up for the bad ones who control everything. I know it is appealing to get to say that you work at the Metropolitan opera but believe me, that is not a perk, it does not excuse the toxic environment. Quality of life is important. Consider that before you agree to work here.

Apr 15, 2023
            Stagehand
            Business Outlook

Pros

good pay. cool job and experience

Cons

very tough work. long hours. working with crazy people

May 25, 2022
              Telefundraiser
              Current Employee, more than 1 year
              Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible scheduling Zero off-the-clock responsibility Paid lunches Union protection Ability to work remote at least during pandemic, not sure how much longer that will be in place

Cons

Management and supervisors are clueless and unorganized From time to time, management randomly fires someone they don't like Admin assistant is great but uninvolved most of the time Only good supervisor left around start of 2022, partially because he was not receiving equal pay and partially because the work was uninspiring and dull... but I think mostly because management is intensely annoying to work for. Absolutely *zero* possibility for advancement No psychological safety, management and supervisors are looking over your shoulder instead of supporting you in the work

1. 3.0
                Oct 12, 2022
                Fundraising Officer
                Business Outlook

Pros

My team was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed working with them. Additionally, this is a wonderful producing organization with a dedicated audience. Despite the occasional abusive patron (who was always dealt with by a senior staff member), the people are all lovely. Also, high prestige in the arts world. If you have the Met on your resume, doors fly open.

Cons

Poor pay, especially for NYC. Leadership has no interest in the advancement of entry level/management level staff which leads to extremely high turnover and burn out. Almost every other arts org in the city pays better. Yes, there is prestige working for the Met Opera but that doesn't keep the lights on and the bellies full. Siloed teams makes working across departments impossible.

Oct 17, 2022
                  Customer Service Associate
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Great location Access to the performing arts

Cons

Not full time Increase workload without a pay increase

1. 5.0
                    Oct 6, 2022
                    Janitor/Cleaner
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Too many days off we need manpower

Cons

Handling of vacations handling of days

Jul 12, 2022
                      Fundraising Officer
                      Business Outlook

Pros

-Recognizable brand -Prestige -Kind Staff (all Security, Mailroom, Maintenance. Not management)

Cons

-Horrible pay -Competition between departments creates warring fiefdoms -Insane deadlines. Everything is always needed asap then you never hear of it again. -Back biting at every turn -Classist to the point of it being almost comical.

Aug 20, 2022
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Prestige, and the chance to be near opera stars.

Cons

The rapid turnover at this place says it all. Zero vertical mobility, micromanagers galore, top-down autocracy with tacky, clueless Peter Gelb presiding over everything, pretend efforts to overcome a legacy of racist productions… and everyone is underpaid and knows it, so virtually no one is pleasant to be around. Accept a job here and I guarantee you’ll be looking to leave within six months.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 78 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Metropolitan Opera Association Reviews FAQs

Metropolitan Opera Association has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 94 reviews left anonymously by employees. 36% of employees would recommend working at Metropolitan Opera Association to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Metropolitan Opera Association employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Metropolitan Opera Association. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

36% of Metropolitan Opera Association employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Metropolitan Opera Association 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.0 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Metropolitan Opera Association to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Metropolitan Opera Association Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

QC Specialist II

When someone says “We are eager to fill this position, we have no timeline but it should not drag out,” what are the chances I’m selected? This was at the third round interview, last Tue (5d ago) when I was told I should hear from HR next. The job was posted 30+ days ago. I applied for it on 10/22 and the interview process started 11/6 with an HR screening phone call.

IT Specialist

Passed 2 interviews with a board of education, they told me to wait for HR confirm and contact me , been 3 weeks since then, when should I expect to receive callbacks or emails??

Cloud Performance Engineering Lead

Workday interview tips needed. The role I am applying to is a site reliability engineer role. I am not sure what to expect. Of course it’s a technical role so I do expect those questions. I am wondering if they go extra hard and how many rounds? I read somewhere that they do 5 rounds. Either way any tips are@welcome.

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 94 Metropolitan Opera Association reviews submitted anonymously by Metropolitan Opera Association employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Metropolitan Opera Association is right for you.