Micro Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Richard M. Mershad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "And customer service is fairly easy" (in 17 reviews)

• "almost a criminally low pay wage as most of your income is based on commission" (in 17 reviews)

1. "A great company keeps doing right things in right ways!"

Current Employee - Import Analyst in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - Import Analyst in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice and willing to help you on even small things. Managers are highly professional and supportive. If you are pursuing a career to improve yourselves and keep learning, here is an excellent choice. Diligence is paid and appreciated. Salary is competitive and many benefits are applied to employees.

Cons

No 401K matched right now.

2. "General Sales Associate"

Current Employee - General Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Micro Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun talking to customers, pretty decent management that would mostly stick up for me and other associates, pays well for having no experience (but you have to work hard to reach the top level of pay for general sales)

Cons

projects around the store without project pay while being expected to reach sales goals can be very stressful, its retail some humans are just trash and want you to feel the same

Advice to Management

Please do not neglect project pay, if you ask your sales associates to work on a huge project around the store while still hitting 6 + customers per hour give them a boost when they work hard as opposed to punishing them for doing one of their many jobs on the sales floor

Jun 18, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on your current work experience. I'm glad to see that overall you would recommend Micro Center! I appreciate your constructive comments... More

3. "Computer Technician"

I worked at Micro Center full-time

Pros

Great start into the IT Industry

Cons

Pay is not competitive

Jun 5, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your recommendation and for taking the time to share your feedback.

4. "Great culture, fun & productive work environment!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of Micro Center is very warm and welcoming. The employees are friendly, they have great attitudes and genuinely care about each other. From what I have experience most people are very happy with their positions in the company, as a lot people have been with Micro Center for 15+ years (or longer)

The culture at Micro Center works to promote self-growth to better each individuals skills, in both job skills and behavioral skills through reading leadership books and doing training. I can easily say that the management is by far the most engaged with their employees that I have ever personally experienced in my time working in other corporate offices. The managers care about each individuals growth and are personally invested in each member of their team continuously taking action steps to improve themselves. To my knowledge the company has never done lay-offs and they keep budget costs down through wise spending. The work life balance is good, management cares to make sure that you are only working when at work and clocked in, my role does not impede with my personal life. The pay is very competitive and management works to make sure you are happy with your pay. Management works to ensure that the workload is manageable at all times, they care about your own experience and is always open to feedback to improve. Overall great company and wonderful employees! 10/10

Cons

No Cons that I have experienced.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Manager

Welcome to Micro Center! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for your recommendation!

5. "Good!... For Retail..."

Former Employee - BYO Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - BYO Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commission pay rewards those who work hard, and getting to help people with tech issues is always fun. The employees are usually pretty good people to work with, and I remain friends with most that I still know. The scheduling is fairly flexible (as long as you don't need too much flex) and the benefits are good.

There is also no attempt at all to provide anything close to a regular schedule, but this is probably just retail issues.

Cons

As a sales person you are required to be Sales/Merchandising/Stockboy/Janitor, but with the exception of the "Sales" part, you make $4/hour doing the other 3 things that management will require that you do (and generally you are required to spend at least 3 days with 1-3 hours before or after closing to do these things at said $4/hour). The company justifies it with "Your Average Hourly is higher than other retail locations." Advancement within the company is decent... unless you want to go into management or tech. For management, the company seems unwilling to train salespeople in anything management related until they decide to actually promote someone to management. For Technicians, they require A+ certification, however they pay $6/hour less than any baseline tech job that you can get with an A+. The highest level technician that you can be still makes $2/hour less than someone entering into IT with an A+ should be.

Advice to Management

Either pay your employees more for time spent not selling to encourage the extra stuff to get done, or hire a merchandising/stock team to get that work done. Pay the janitorial staff you already have to vacuum. Match your employees 401k's (even Best Buy does this). Pay your A+ certified techs a competitive market wage. If an employee wants up training into management or any other position, MAKE SURE IT HAPPENS! Create a program that encourages growth into other aspects of the company (not just Sales) and gives them the opportunity to do so.

Jun 18, 2018 – HR Manager

First and foremost, thank you for the time you spent at Micro Center (5+ years!), and for taking the time to share about your employment experience. I'm glad to hear there were many aspects of the... More

6. "Not bad. Not amazing."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Micro Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually not a very demanding job. Thanks to the internet, customers tend to know what they want before entering the door, so atmosphere is pleasant.

Cons

Archaic systems used for all customer transactions and employee services. Any other gripes I have are just toward working retail in general. In my particular experience, I asked for less hours and received more—but we were just understaffed across the board.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your infrastructure so it doesn't require so many meaningless workarounds.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, nice co-workers. I've worked for Micro Center for 2 months now as a temp. I love working here! Your effort is highly appreciated and worth it. As long as you are willing to work hard, and demonstrate your value, you don't need to worry about not being seen or being paid unfairly.

Cons

It will be better if they match 401K contributions.

Advice to Management

So far no complaints.

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a recommendation of Micro Center!

8. "Normal Retail Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brentwood, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brentwood, MO

I worked at Micro Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can be enjoyable if you are into computers and electronics.

Cons

Pushed to sell service plans on nearly every item. Even cables.
    Since you’re usually the only Micro Center for miles around, you might have to deal with regulars who are less than pleasant.

Advice to Management

Try not to second guess CSRs in front of a customer.

Jun 18, 2018 – HR Manager

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your employment experience at Micro Center. We are glad to hear about the enjoyable aspects and will also share your constructive... More

9. "Great Company for Growth Opportunities"

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid management team, great health benefits, knowledgeable associates, excellent income potential if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

No 401 K match, retail hours

Advice to Management

Add a 401K match.

Jun 4, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to recommend Micro Center! We appreciate your feedback on the 401(k) as well.

10. "CSR - Very flexible for college students"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Micro Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to work short shifts to fit my school schedule.
    Was able to take days off with two weeks notice.
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

I feel like there could have been better training for new CSR's

May 21, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to recommend Micro Center! If you'd be willing to share additional feedback and suggestions on the training you received as a new hire, we'd like to hear from you. I can... More