Micro Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Richard M. Mershad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "times have changed and commission based jobs are starting to not pay enough because companies are cheap" (in 18 reviews)

• "almost a criminally low pay wage as most of your income is based on commission" (in 18 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work and Understanding Management"

I have been working at Micro Center full-time

Pros

Learn so much about tech.
    Great Staff
    Great Benefits
    Great schedule flexibility

Cons

Once you hit sales, there really isn't anywhere you can move up to.

Oct 22, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write about your employment experience with Micro Center! We are glad you are enjoying the environment and learning about the latest and greatest technology. We do have... More

2. "The most human in retail"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a self-starter and like a leadership team that excels in balancing hands-on eoungh to equip you (without doing it for you), and hands-off enough to let you stand on your own two feet (even though you may stumble a few times in the process), then you should consider throwing your hat in with them. Long term earning potential is high, and they will invest in your development. The training through Focus 3 and the Microcenter models are the most human you will find in the retail world. I do not say that lightly.

While I would add a few different spices to their training mix, they are building on solid ground. While I can't speak for every Microcenter, I will advocate that working for the Denver store will grow you and grow you hard if you're willing to lean in and step up.

The management crew at this store truly invest in your growth. You are supported and you have to step into your own voice. Learning how to self-advocate will be rewarded. If you accept the status quo, you will feel lost.

I loved that my superiors *invited* me to step up. They gave me the opportunity to observe my surroundings, create a solution, and then help when I asked for specific tools. If they couldn't provide the specific tools, they offered for insight from their experience. You cannot be a parrot and last here. You will face your own skills of adaptability and that is one of the best gifts someone can give you.

Some of my favorite moments were one-on-one conversations with our General Manager, District Manager, and the Vice President of Sales--and those happened more often than you might think. All of them made time for me when I requested it. And all of them connected with me. None of them ever blew me off or gave an air of "I have better things to do." I still want to learn to do that better.

Cons

Retail is retail, especially the scheduling. Since I recently started a family, I felt conflicted on where my time would be best spent. For me, I will always err on the side of family before business. If you are of that bent, it can slow down your progress through the company.

There is a ton of marketing data that leads to evidence-based marketing decisions; there is also a ton of data from anthropology, psychology, and sociology that can lead to evidence-based inter-relational decisions. Microcenter is stellar at the former, and slow on the uptake of the latter. I never figured out how to make a solid case for the changes I saw as necessary to help the company advance.

All in all, the Focus 3 training is stellar and a step beyond. My only gripe with the Focus 3 is that it focuses mainly on mind-down processes and not body-up. When you only focus on one aspect of the human experience, you will only be partially effective. Body-up understanding is essential for feeling empathy and culture. Mind-down leads you to understanding that "we" are "x" or "y;" body-up awareness leads you to *feeling* we are "x," "y," and in the same family. If they can create an environment/culture of that, their success will be unimaginable.

In the current model, people will become highly efficient, self-responsible, and driven and if you don't build the connection, emotional rapport, and camaraderie, then their drive will take them right out the door towards a socially connected group that makes them feel like they are home.

Advice to Management

If you want to get to the next step of understanding store, company, and cultural dynamics, I would advise incorporating understanding of Family Systems Theory (Dr. Murray Bowen), vulnerability/intimacy concepts from Dr. Harriet Lerner and Dr. Brené Brown, and body-up awareness modalities (Dr. Peter Levine and Dr. Daniel Siegel).

If you build these concepts into your current model--and they will all fit seamlessly because of what you already do--I would be willing to bet that you'd reduce turnover, increase employee satisfaction, and deepen your connection and impact with your customers.

3. "Knowledge Advisor"

I have been working at Micro Center part-time

Pros

Great Team and Management, Good Benefit

Cons

No Growth Opportunity, Sometimes boring

4. "A place where you get what you out into it."

Current Employee - BYO Sales Associate in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - BYO Sales Associate in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Micro Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, relevant technology and personal interest, and a natural ability to do well.

Cons

Management is overbearing and mandatory trainings seem fruitless.

Nov 5, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review and recommend Micro Center. The company strives to ensure the training our associates receive is relevant to their jobs and valuable. I would welcome any... More

5. "Service Tech"

Former Employee - Service in Sharonville, OH
    Former Employee - Service in Sharonville, OH

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Handled newest technology. Met some good co-workers and some good customers.
    On a good day, was actually pretty enjoyable for being retail store work.

Insurance was good at least last I knew.

If you don't mind a shifting schedule it can be a pro as its retail, you know you gotta work weekends here and there. This does give you time to get things during the work week that are normally closed on weekends. This I did enjoy to a degree.

Cons

Being in service and repair, Columbus heads pushed us to be sales people and get people to buy things they don't really need while servicing systems. Sell backups, virus scanners, hard drive imaging, warranties on everything, ect. Upsell basically.

Only really cared about extended warranties as these are made up stock. Doesn't exist.
    So its "free money" as they put it. Sell the warranty then the product we were told.

If you could sell warranty on a pack of paper, you were a national hero.

Pay was awful after 9 years and bonuses were made to be out of reach unless you had no soul and didn't mind ripping off customers.

Advice to Management

Treat employee's like they are human and have a life and maybe even a family.

If you don't want to pay people worth their time, just say so. Don't have bonus goals so out of reach.

Stop with games like scratch off cards for selling warranties to see if your family gets to eat or not.

Even as a tech it was sad to see official sales people pushed to point of having to sticker items with
    their name on products to get credit for a sale. Watching them have to be sneaky about it and tag things
    randomly hoping a person would just grab it and buy it while still getting the credit just so they
    can maybe get a few extra dollars to make bills, was very sad.

A lot of your employee's are in debt, broke, and down right miserable and have been working their for over a decade. Instead of brow beating, give them something to be proud of.

6. "Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Micro Center part-time

Pros

Decent benefits good people to work with

Cons

a lot of work for not much pay

Advice to Management

raise pay

Nov 5, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback and to review and recommend Micro Center!

7. "Great General Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure and the experience of working with some of the coolest people as well as a subordinate to some of the best managers in the retail industry thanks to the General Manager Saheed Adewole. He had such a wonderful vision as to how he wanted the organization to grow and ensured his concepts and ideas were inline with the gear of the company which kept me motivated to perform at my best. I was only there for roughly a year but I have learnt so much and Im extremely happy to have been a part of such an entity. The pay was not too bad and the company had a very stable and organized structure.The work hours were flexible and management tried their best to facilitate whatever challenges you may face in your work schedule. You were also rewarded if you performed exceptionally within your area.

Cons

The computer program on the registers could be a bit more up to date.

Advice to Management

Remain consistent in delivering excellent management and leadership skills.

Oct 8, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your experience in our Yonkers store and for your overall review and rating of Micro Center! We are glad it was a positive experience for you. Both your positive and... More

8. "It was a pleasure!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Micro Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Greatly rewarded for hard work (commission pay)
    2. Every day is an opportunity to help people
    3. Flexible work schedule
    4. Great place to work for anyone with people skills and an interest in sales and/or computers
    5. Employee discount incredible on non-big ticket items
    6. Managers work with you for time scheduling!

Cons

As mentioned, it is a commission based job, so on the days where you don't upsale as much as you can, you'll see the reflection in your paycheck. Time is money!

Advice to Management

Keep the working environment just as it is, it was a pleasure working alongside my co- workers at Micro Center!

Oct 3, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for sharing about your experience in our Yonkers store!

9. "Don't recommend working for this awful company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Micro Center (More than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers
    Benefits (Kinda)
    Employee Discount (Kinda)
    Location at the time was close to my living area

Cons

Management
    Corporate Management
    Pricing
    Wages
    Scheduling
    Favoritism
    Sales Practices
    Not being able to order items out of stock

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.
    Stop making salesmen who make less than 5 dollars an hour do warehouses job when warehouse gets paid twice that
    Hire more warehouse workers so the job can actually get done
    Allow your salesmen to actually get commission and stop taking it away from them by constantly changing the structure

Oct 29, 2018 – HR Manager

I'm sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your position. If you have anything additional to share, please reach out to our corporate HR department at (614)850-3150. Thanks for taking the... More

"pointless"

I have been working at Micro Center (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people and nice environment

Cons

no raises ever and commission rate isn't high enough, not worth the effort grinding sales just to barely make $10 an hour when they bump you up to that much regardless. It should start at $10 or have a higher rate so making more sales isn't a futile struggle.

Oct 8, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. While it sounds like you enjoy the environment and your coworkers, it seems as though other aspects of the job are a source of frustration at the... More