Micro Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Richard M. Mershad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "almost a criminally low pay wage as most of your income is based on commission" (in 19 reviews)

• "Commission based selling can be hard to deal with if other/new employees have a bad attitude towards how commission works" (in 18 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work and Understanding Management"

I have been working at Micro Center full-time

Pros

Learn so much about tech.
    Great Staff
    Great Benefits
    Great schedule flexibility

Cons

Once you hit sales, there really isn't anywhere you can move up to.

Oct 22, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write about your employment experience with Micro Center! We are glad you are enjoying the environment and learning about the latest and greatest technology. We do have... More

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Micro Center full-time

Pros

Great benefits at this company

Cons

I have none to report.

3. "Overall Great Experience But Lacks Some Details"

Current Employee - Cashier in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Micro Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great flexibility in work hours, great environment

Cons

some procedures are not properly explained, have to figure out with "trial by fire"

Advice to Management

Holiday season may be crazy but getting better procedures (with better ease of access) would be great. Getting the floor sales guys to stop lying to customers about what customer service can and cannot do would also be excellent, but that's a personnel problem with a bad egg or two trying to seal a sale. I'll be bringing up the procedures to my manager and also writing some on my own. If you're new and at customer service, no training videos can prepare you for some of the oddball situations- and sometimes we even encounter situations that even the front end lead hasn't dealt with before and need to improvise. More uniformity and set procedures that are easy to digest will solve this.

Jan 30, 2019 – VP-Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your position as a CSR and it's good to know you are having a positive work experience. We are always looking to enhance our training to ensure you have... More

4. "Good Employees, Overworked, Underpaid."

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership knows what they are doing from top down to lead the organization. They hire qualified individuals for the positions and offer training that will bring you up to speed on any current gen tech. Employees/Management actually care about each other and are sociable.

Cons

Underpaid workers on both sales and lower management. Starting wage is lower than everywhere and depends on if you are a good salesman but if there is no opportunities to sell there's no compensation offered. Management team is overworked at high volume periods and salaries aren't very negotiable. If you want to be management you pretty much have to assume your going to be closing a lot. The Front End is becoming like many big box retailers and using less cashiers as a way to save money but counting on efficiency to save them, yet the system is so slow that the money saved is costing more in repeat customers.

MicroCenter caters to crypto currency miners. They saw an opportunity to sell all those graphics cards and raise the prices costing them sales from repeat customers that actually make the sales associates money.

Advice to Management

Literally hire 1 or 2 more people per shift on the Front End. Overhaul the entire POS system to actually be faster, I shouldn't be able to literally complete an online order on my phone for the same item faster than it takes to check out after waiting in line. Pay the sales associates better base pay rate and reduce the reliance on the volatile razor thin margin market.

If you're gonna demand that I meet those Front End metrics, make it worth my time. You could transform a poorly preforming front end to be the top 5vs25 stores but get nothing compensation wise because Brooklyn sold the most service plans for the 2nd year in a row. Oh, and contests to get pennies here and there are worthless.

Feb 15, 2019 – Corporate Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share about your employment experience with Micro Center. As a retail organization, it’s important that we be able to serve our customers and we schedule... More

5. "Computer Hardware and Sales Experience"

Current Employee - Build Your Own Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Build Your Own Sales Associate

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job is commissioned rather than hourly, which allows for a lot of room for improvement.

Management usually is hands off with day to day operations. The feeling of autonomy is nice.

Coworkers are very supportive of one another, very few "sharks" last long.

A great opportunity to get into IT or sales.

Cons

Middle managers get in the way at times, especially the BYO department supervisor. They tend to hover around sales associates, making us feel nervous, or assign tasks during peak sales hours. No one likes losing commission for the sake of finishing some project in the back storeroom.

Scheduling is a nightmare. Company uses Ultipro to set schedules (aka randomize schedules) for "peak store hours." Employees know their days off, but hardly ever the daily shift times they work in advance.

Advice to Management

Respect sales associates time by allowing them to be on the sales floor when they need to. Offer enhanced benefits packages for longer term employees.
    Make set schedules for employees.

Jan 30, 2019 – VP-Human Resources

We appreciate your balanced feedback regarding your experience. I'd like to personally learn more about your scheduling concerns as that is something we constantly strive to address - the balance... More

6. "Sales Rep"

I worked at Micro Center part-time

Pros

Great company to work for and tuition reimbursement benefits.

Cons

Long work hours on weekends

Jan 21, 2019 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that your employment experience at Micro Center was positive. We appreciate your 4-star rating.
    Thanks
    Jennifer
    Corporate Recruiting Manager

7. "Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at Micro Center full-time

Pros

Pay is decent. The discount is pretty good

Cons

Managrrs focus a lot on performance metrics

Jan 2, 2019 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback, and I hope you continue to enjoy your position with us.

8. "fine but not perfect"

I worked at Micro Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, respect to the employees

Cons

low pay, sometimes very busy

Jan 2, 2019 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your employment experience. We appreciate the review and recommendation!

9. "Customer Service Rep"

I worked at Micro Center full-time

Pros

Fun Environment, good pay, full benefits

Cons

lack of communication, inconsistent policy

Advice to Management

communicate with both each other and your underlings (especially about policy)

Dec 31, 2018 – VP-Human Resources

Thank you for the sincere feedback and we do want to understand more specifics to be able to improve in the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at 614-850-3151 to discuss your concerns so that we... More

10. "Best retail job out there!"

Former Employee - BYO in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - BYO in Rockville, MD

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great entry level job as well as second career for older, displaced workers like me.

If you like commission sales and are good at it, you can make $35 to $40K easily.

Base pay is $4.00 an hour (unless your store is in a "living wage" city), but lot's of ways to earn commission to supplement it.

Lots of room for advancement if you embrace the company's rules and culture.

Cons

You'll ever know from week to week what your schedule will be, so it's hard to plan ahead for personal or family activities.

If your store is not in a living wage city/state, you'll be unloading trucks, putting stock on the shelves as well as price tags, cleaning the store and all other merchandising tasks for base pay of $4.00. Merchandising can add up to between 1 and 3 hours per day.

Benefits are adequate: Unite Health Care Medical Insurance; 5 days vacation and 5 days sick leave after the first year. Vacation days grow with years on the job, but you will never get more then 5 days sick leave in one year. No employer contribution to 401K.

Employees are required to memorize and use sales scripts in their presentations.

Advice to Management

You are doing a good job to compete with online retailers, because your best competitive edge is the face to face contact between your sales people and the customers.

Jan 2, 2019 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your employment experience. All the best to you as you pursue a new path.