Micro Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard M. Mershad

Pros
  • Employee discount, atmosphere and training (in 61 reviews)

• Furthermore, our company respects a work/life balance, which is extremely uncommon in retail (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • On your feet for long hours - work days are often 10 hour shifts (in 14 reviews)

• You are told to provide world class customer service but I have never ONCE been recognized for going out of my way to help a customer (in 13 reviews)

1. "Front End Supervisor"

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees, management, opportunities for promotions

Cons

Pay, management, customer issues, commission

Mar 23, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Please share more details on the Employee Satisfaction Survey that you received yesterday - we appreciate your opinions. Thanks, Angie Miller VP-HR

2. "Good business model in a tough location in Santa Clara"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

knowledgeable sales people. way better than Fry's
    stable workforce, way better than Fry's
    investment in training
    free classes and tech support for customers
    good location in Mercado Center on 101
    competitive prices with Fry's, Best Buy, etc.
    Would give 5 stars for the business model.
    Would give 5 stars for the regional manager that came in to help occasionally.
    Yelp reviews reflect the occasional bad experience but a generally loyal customer base

Cons

Tough to compete with so many Fry's stores in the area
    Advertised by mailers and not tv or radio
    Therefore low visibility. So many people had never heard of MicroCenter
    Often ran out of inventory of advertised specials, disappointing customers
    Vicious cycle of low visibility, low demand, limited supply, disappointed customers
    Expensive lease at Mercado Center that they were unable to renegotiate.
    Low sales + expensive lease = poorest performing store in the chain.
    Some managers were good, but some managers were very bad. No news there.
    But when your model is investing in your sales staff, bad managers driving away good people was disastrous. And because MicroCenter is a small chain, spread out around the country, the company found it impossible to get good managers from other locations to come in and make improvements at the poorest performing store in the chain.
    Would give 1 star for some of the managers.
    Would give 1 star for the inventory management from home office that disappointed customers for so many years.

Advice to Management

Try again in Silicon Valley.

Apr 24, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

We are interested in learning more about your post and the timing as it's been several years since we had the location in Santa Clara. Please call me at 614-850-3150 to talk further about any recent ... More

3. "General Sales associate"

Former Employee - General Laborer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Micro Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts
    Technological knowledge
    Customer service experience

Cons

The hours
    Slow customer turnout on most days
    Management

Mar 23, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback - please feel free to email me with details (ajmiller@microcenter.com) so we can make adjustments where necessary. Thanks, Angie Miller VP-HR

5. "OK to work there"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Micro Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing really good to share

Cons

Has to stay late night after closing the store

Advice to Management

Treat as human

Mar 28, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Please contact me at ajmiller@microcenter.com as I'd like to understand what happened with your employment since you were with us for over 5 years. It sounds like there was an incident that caused ... More

6. "Lower Management Cares. Upper management? Diconnected."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Lower management is extremely caring and understanding. Excellent people to work with, and for. They understand the struggles their team faces on a daily basis and does their absolute best to provide support and even getting their hands dirty when needed. It's been an honor to work under them!

-Breaks are given without question. If you are scheduled for a shift that a break is needed, you WILL get it. No ifs ands or butts about it. You will also NEVER be rushed or asked to come back early. Your break is yours to take and do as you please.

-They promote from within. Very rarely will someone from outside the company be put into any type of management position. Our store has I think a total of 2 managers that were hired from outside the company? There is a pretty clear path and the expectations are set for getting promoted.

-Believe it or not, most of the customers are great! It's a different type of retail environment and most of the customers are awesome. Be warned though, the bad ones will sour your day quickly.

-All of the products and services offered, including protection plans, truly are a great value and you can honestly recommend them without lying to customers! This is actually HUGE and a major benefit.

Cons

-Very high expectations. While you are guaranteed your breaks, keep in mind that is the only break you will get all day. If you are scheduled for a 9 hour shift (the usual for full time) then you will get a 1 hour lunch. There is no telling when that lunch will be though. So you could be stuck performing your duties for 6 hours straight. While that doesn't sound terrible and is almost expected, that's a long time to stand in one spot doing the same thing without even so much as being able to use the restroom. (They don't tell you that you can't, unless you are on the "security" lane) but you know that if you do... Upper management will frown upon you and you'll be under the impression that the whole store will explode and fall apart.

-Upper management ONLY CARES ABOUT NUMBERS. You are told to provide world class customer service but I have never ONCE been recognized for going out of my way to help a customer. I've been talked down to for actually going above and beyond with customers because a transaction took to long or because someone was worded differently than company policy. First time building a computer? No sorry, I can't offer any tips and tricks to you because that's going to make this take to long. Oh, but I better start by offering you a 3 year plan and then if you say no go to the 2 year plan for EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. Even if your sales associate already did or you tell me you're not interested. Because that doesn't make things take to long. Name and email capture? Important info, yes, but no it should not be how CSR's are judged on performance. That is a completely ridiculous metric. No CSR is going to stand there and NOT ask for that info. If someones numbers are low it's because customers simply refused. Nothing more.

-Our protection plans are great. But relax the pressure on selling them or risk annoying customers. Sales associates should ask and do the actual selling. CSRs should do a reminder that it's their last chance to get one. You cannot seriously think I'm going to ask for every single item every single time. Our protection plans are worth it, but you're barking at us about how long transaction times take and how long people are standing in line... yet you have 1000 things you want us to discuss and explain to customers while collecting their information while doing this and that.

-Commission is only offered on service plans, but should be offered on other things sold at the register when there is an opportunity for an up-sell. "Are you sure you need a 2.0 flash drive and not a 3.0? They are 10 times as fast and only a dollar or so more! How about a 128 instead of that 64, it's only a little bit more!"

-This new attendance policy that was introduced under the guise of being for Work Life Balance is a joke. Have a straightforward policy and just talk to problem offenders 1 on 1 and deal with it. Or at the very least be straightforward and say "We have a problem with people calling off to often so there is a new policy." Don't lie and say it has anything to do with work life balance. You seriously gave people more sick hours then they are allowed to possibly use. If I'm sick, do you really think I can get my shift covered in less than 24 hours? And you expect us to PAY TO HAVE OUR SHIFTS COVERED in a third party app?

Advice to Management

-Talk to lower level management and see what complaints they are constantly getting from both employees and customers. Don't assume every policy you make or every decision you make is the only correct answer.

-Talk directly with lower level employees. They are the bread and butter of your company. Listen to them. Listen to their suggestions. Take what they say to heart.

-Be honest with your policies and stick to them. There is nothing more frustrating than double standards or constantly changing policies.

-Stand behind your employees and lower level management when they make a decision. The customer is not always right, and providing world class customer service does not mean pretending they are. Just move on over the rude customers and don't give in to their every need. Your CSR's will be much more likely to provide world class customer service to the nice customers if they know you'll stand behind them when the really bad ones show up.

-Change the morning meeting up. Sales numbers are a great way to see how the store did the previous day. But 20 minutes of "so and so sold $XX and so and so sold $XX" does not do anything. Recognition is important. Send that info out in an email or do those numbers once a week. Use that time to talk about important things like new policies or changes, upcoming events, taking suggestions, or just getting to know your employees. Change things up every day. Make the meeting different. Don't do the same old same old every day.

-You are running an awesome store. The products you sell are amazing, the team you have is top notch, and you have the ability to set yourself apart from the competition. Just revisit a few things and you'll be on a roll that won't stop.

-Ask yourself why people are constantly leaving the front end. Why does no one stick around? What would happen if our turn over rate was lower? Would our CSR's become more knowledgeable and be able to provide more world class customer service? Would you spend less time and money training and hiring new people?

-Have some scheduling flexibility and consider using set schedules week to week with minimal fluctuations. Why is it impossible to have the same days off and the same shifts week after week with only a change here and there? Why does every week have to be completely different than the last?

Mar 23, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Thanks for your balanced feedback - we have discussed your concerns with the local management team and are taking steps to improve in the areas you mentioned. Sincerely, Angie Miller VP-HR

"cheap"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers are great and seem more moral than managers. Merchandise is awesome. You can make money if you work three times harder than you have to.

Cons

During closed hours, before opening/after closing the store you will be paid $4/HR doing physical work and being pressured to finish it sometimes by yourself during the day. Tasks, truck, changes and more tasks by management will prevent you from selling the way you'd like to. No seance of teamwork. No sense of holding someone accountable for being absent, not doing a task and leaving it to the next coworker, etc.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, they're your paycheck and the biggest assets of the company.

Feb 24, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Hi - Thank you for your service to the Company and our customers. It sounds like we have work to do as a management team in your store. Please call me 614-850-3151 or email me ... More

"They make up rules just to fire people!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Micro Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was decent. Hours were flexible. Made many friends. Easy to advance in the company.

Cons

They make up rules as they go along and do not inform you. I was terminated for violating a policy that no one told me about and it was not in the employee handbook. When I told my manager all she said was, "I know, but home office said I have to let you go" - she uses the same "home office said so" line on customers when they get mad at her.
    They make you get a certain name/email capture percentage and if you don't reach the goal every month, you get wrote up and eventually fired. I've never seen anyone get fired over that, though.
    They don't make an announcement when the store is closed. They lock the doors, but the people still in the store usually have no idea we're closed and we have to stay until they leave.
    They dont have security and expect the people who work there to look out for thieves. We were not expected or allowed to chase anyone, but we had to check receipts and look in their bag if the door alarm went off.

Advice to Management

Get yourself together.

Mar 23, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback and for your service to our Company and our customers. Sincerely, Angie Miller VP-HR

9. "Computer sales"

Former Employee - Knowledge Expert in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Knowledge Expert in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, fun work environment.

Cons

Commision based sales wasn't my thing.

"The Microcenter Stigma and how its true"

Former Employee - Knowledge Advisor in Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - Knowledge Advisor in Paterson, NJ

I worked at Micro Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They used to work with your schedule know not really

Cons

Terrible, and to be more specific they were terrible in the following ways. First in the interview they mention that you will make from 13-15 dollars and sometimes up to 20 dollars an hour but the way it works for sales associates is that you get paid 4 dollars an hour plus commission not only that but you are not just a sales associate you are also a warehouse associate( break down truck ) and a merchandiser( put the truck on the shelves in the appropriate manner) and they don't mention the last two, as well as maintaining a particular set of aisles up to par with their merchandising code, but must also assist customers and provide "Prompt and courteous service". Not only that but the decline in associates during shifts makes it almost impossible to make sure everyone is being assisted especially when you have one associate with 5 people waiting for help ( which happened often). Now when trying to move up their "criteria" is that your AOR(area of responsibility) must be 100%, you must also have a service plan percentage at or exceeding the departmental goal, and then the normal attendance and performance requirements, and etc. Where the etc is pretty much anything else they can think of. I worked there for 1-5 years(not stating the specific amount for obvious reasons) and i moved up once to a department i did not want to go to because it was not my first choice but they told me that there was no openings where I wanted to go and then 1mo later they hire someone for the department I wanted to go to. So just to forewarn people that is their idea of "opportunity for advancement" and just to add on to this I had knowledge to able to sell in either department even the associates in my first choice wanted me there. Lastly when informing management of effective ways to increase employee count in the respective department I was a part of I was met with the following response "I did not know I had to hire people" from my supervisor and when I informed my supervisor that hiring externally for the respective department was not effective due to the nature of the products sold in the department and that promoting those that want to learn would be better and easier to train, but that didn't happen. So in summary the job is not what other sales jobs are if you want experience in sales this is not a good fit if you want experience in sales/merchandising/warehouse then this is for you.

Advice to Management

No advice due to the fact previous suggestions were not heard.

Mar 23, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

Please contact me at 614-850-3000 as I'd like to learn more about your experience at our North Jersey store. Thanks, Angie Miller VP-HR

11. "If you're into sales and technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible hours, potential for growth, everyone can make commission, plenty of incentives and spiffs. Small staff makes it more of a family like feel with managers that care

Cons

Unless you're really into sales keep in mind this is a very numbers driven . While they care about their employees their sales and attach and even how much email addresses you obtain in a day mean more to them. If you're having a bad week or not perfoming well, the stress and pressure may really weigh in on you. Beginning to have a lot more micro management than it used to and they nit pick about they way every little detail is done. They do not have a set way of doing things its a bit frustrating when one day things are done a certain way and the next day you're told its done another. Especially when having to deal with the backlash of irate customers that are constantly being told different information.

Advice to Management

Agree on one thing and stick to it. Admit your own faults sometimes. Remember your staff are human not robots and wont always be as perfect as you expect them to be. See the potential in your staff and not just the things they do wrong. Communicate with your fellow management sufficiently.