Micro Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Richard M. Mershad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount, atmosphere and training (in 71 reviews)

• You can learn a lot from those around you (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The general sales department is where most people start out unless you are skilled enough to pass an interview right away for a better department (in 16 reviews)

• Customer service is not always a pleasant experience (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great people and great future"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engaging work
    Varied responsibilities
    Feeling that you are truly driving business
    Great professional and personal training course

Cons

No matching contribution for 401K

Dec 6, 2017 – HR Manager

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your job and making an impact on the business! We appreciate and will make note of your feedback on the retirement savings as well.
    -Carly, HR Manager

2. "Great place to work for technology enthusiasts"

Current Employee - GSA in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - GSA in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employ purchase discount.
    Flexible schedule.
    Helpful management.
    Recognition for all the good works.
    Commission based paying helps to earn more.

Cons

Old school of doing truck. Can be modernised.
    Sometime Too many call out from associate affects the hard work of punctual associate.

Advice to Management

It would be awesome if the Truck process be modernised

Dec 6, 2017 – HR Manager

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your work and some of our benefits like flex schedules and employee discount. If you'd like to share more detailed suggestions on how the truck process can be... More

3. "Awsome coworkers. Terrible management."

Former Employee - General Sales Associate in Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - General Sales Associate in Paterson, NJ

I worked at Micro Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of this job was the employees. Everyone was nice and always open to helping when you're in need. Only thing I looked forward to when coming into work was seeing my coworkers. The employee discount is great on small things, but on more expensive items you can forget about it. The learning experience in selling and customer service is great. I learned a lot from customers and coworkers. Most customers that come in are great.

Cons

MANAGEMENT. They will give you a "part time" position, but in actuality they will give you full time hours and no benefits. They will not care about your social or school life. You can ask for time off, but most likely they will schedule you and possibly for an even longer shift. The hours are very long especially on weekends. You are constantly standing and running from the front to the back of the store. Management only cares about numbers. So if you're not selling to an x amount of people within an x amount of time they will call you out on it. Also if you don't sell a certain percentage of replacement plans that gets you in trouble as well. This is very hard to manage when they add tasks, putting away truck, and making sure your AOR (area of responsibility) is up to code. Management doesn't understand that for some people, selling is very difficult and takes a longer time to hone the skill. The pay is commission based which is $4 an hour. So when you come in the morning before store hours or stay after store hours you will only make $4 an hour. They say in the interview and orientation that you can make $15-$20 an hour but that is a lie.They will most likely put you in the General Sales department and you will only be able to sell small things. Even if you are one of the top sellers in that department the pay will still be below minimum. Average money you'll make per hour will be $7-$9 an hour. $9 an hour if you're lucky on the busiest days of the entire year which is black Friday weekend and cyber Monday. This job will be your life for less than minimum wage.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to treat your workers better. Understand that your workers have another life besides this job. This job can not be everyones life. Understand that $4 an hour plus commission, is not cutting it even if they were the best sellers in the department. Also $4 before and after store opens/closes is not fair. You can not expect workers to sell to an x amount of people within 1 hour while making them do tasks, put away truck, and take care of their AOR. Respect the workers because they are your pay. The sales team are what makes the company.

4. "Not bad for starters"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Micro Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well with commission, offers growth within the company

Cons

Management is sort of out of wack, not great for students as they take absences very seriously

Nov 27, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback and I know your store is very busy so thanks for taking care of our customers. I'd like to learn more about how our management team can make your experience better so... More

5. "Burnt out, exhausted but hopeful."

Current Employee - GSA
    Current Employee - GSA

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Management Staff
    Co-Workers are amazing
    Customers for the most part are fantastic
    Open door policy really works
    Benefits are amazing
    Discount is okie dokie.

Cons

Promotions to departments outside of General Sales done based on amount of service plans sold, not on your knowledge. This doesn't help the customer, this helps bottom line. For a company that talks about taking care of the customer, it sure does the opposite when it comes to policy.

Three people an hour takes focus away from customer service and focus on how to not get fired. This is absurd and it's absolutely broken.

STOP MAKING YOUR SALESMAN DO FREIGHT. Your company makes 500mil - 1bil a year. Either pay salesman a higher base pay to toss freight, or stop having them do it. This too, is also absurd.

Attendance policy encourages employees to come in sick and infect their co workers.

The Shyft app is a joke. NO ONE wants to cover a GSA's shift, not even the other GSA's.

Allowing employees to have a specified day off for religious purposes but denying an employee two consecutive days off due to health issues is draconian. I get that you have a schedule to fulfill but take care of your employees like you do your customers.

PuTTy system is slow. Coupled with still accepting personal checks and asking a customer a million questions at the register has caused slow moving lines. These complaints have spilled into your sales department.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employee suggestions. If you're going to enforce the first part of our mission statement being about the customer, actually do it. Our store is separated from titans like NewEgg and Amazon because of our OUTSTANDING customer service. When I started working at Microcenter, customers raved about it. Now that we have these new policies coming to order soon, its going down hill. Stop taking a step forward and then a giant leap back.

Dec 7, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback on what you are enjoying about your work, and also where we have some opportunities to improve both your experience and our customers' experience. I'd like to talk to you... More

6. "Mostly Bad"

Current Employee - General Sales Associate
    Current Employee - General Sales Associate

I have been working at Micro Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

really the only pros are: the employee discount and the people i work with

Cons

they really hire just about anyone. I have asked 3 separate times to transfer departments. the first time when i was hired and 2 more times in the next 3 months. My supervisor kept saying "When i make the next schedule".

Advice to Management

Restructure the whole management team

Dec 7, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying your fellow employees and the employee discount! As for promotional opportunities, we typically ask that associates stay in their current role... More

"Decnent Job if you like computers"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Micro Center (More than a year)

Pros

Fun And Laid back easy job
    Tech related so its good if you like computers
    For the most part you meet nice and recurring customers
    Usually if you are into tech stuff all of your co workers are relatable

Cons

They say there are flexible hours but if you say you have an open schedule expect to work 42+ hours a week

Not the best pay

Advice to Management

Have more people rotate through the schedule instead of one person closing all the time.

Nov 27, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your position with us. Please talk to your Regional HR Manager or GM about your scheduling concerns as we want to rotate schedules as much as possible... More

8. "Family Values in a Corporate Office"

I have been working at Micro Center part-time

Pros

The exception of respect at Micro Center is amazing. There is no gossiping and everyone is friendly and helpful. The management at the customer service department is amazing. The pay is good for the workload. They really value hard wok and reward you. It's easy to move up within the company.

Cons

Customer service is not always a pleasant experience.

Nov 6, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

We appreciate your kind words and are happy that you are enjoying your job. Sincerely, Angie Miller VP-HR

9. "Good place to build up IT experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Good commission system. The harder you work the more you earn. Lots of spiffs from vendors are also provided. The management team is great.

Cons

Holiday hours can be tedious. Some tasks added to your daily work may not be necessary or just not the right tasks.

Nov 6, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we understand what you mean about the holidays! It gets crazy but as you said, the harder you work, the better it is for you and for our... More

10. "Sales Speclialist"

I worked at Micro Center part-time

Pros

Great environment, friendly people, flexible schedules

Cons

Commission based, overstaffed at times

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

Nov 6, 2017 – VP-Human Resources

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your co-workers and the flexibility we offer to our associates. It's a delicate balance to have the right number of staff to take care of customers at the right... More