MicroAire Surgical Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

I worked at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time

Pros

Integrated business with great people.

Cons

Risk Averse. Regulatory Compliance and QA have choked new product development — but they do it right, so maybe that's just the price of compliance

Advice to Management

Recent changes are good

2. "A New MicroAire"

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MicroAire is an ambitious mid-sized manufacturing company in a tough competitive space (medical devices). After some changes at the senior management level, that ambitious spirit endures but it's now focused on doing what we do best even better. We had reached a point where our ambitions outpaced our ability to execute with precision. In a highly competitive environment, you need to be clear about your goals. We're starting to get that sense of clarity back.

Cons

The atmosphere is a little volatile at the moment. As we narrow our focus, it's sometimes unclear what the endgame is. The enormous effort to reposition the company has taken senior management's focus off of building/maintaining a healthy company culture, which was a priority under previous management. Tangentially, there seems to be a massive disparity in salary amongst even similar positions/experience.

Advice to Management

Rember that for a company to truly be successful, it's employees at every level need to feel like they're a part of the plan, not just part of the machine aimed at executing the plan.

3. "A great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MicroAire is a great company to work for, even with some recent changes that have taken place. I am proud to work here and be part of this dedicated team of employees. I’ve worked for good companies before but none have been as fulfilling, nor have they had such a noticeably friendly and committed culture as I’ve found with this company. Everyone I work with cares and respect one another like family, works together as a team, and works with dedication to the common goal… as if it were their own company. Besides the great culture they have created at MicroAire, it is satisfying to work for a company that makes innovative surgical tools and surgical equipment that are used throughout the world, improving surgeon and patient outcomes.

Cons

Okay, so it is not all flowers and sunshine. There has been a lot of hard and intensive work going on over the past year to completely overhaul the quality management system – and certainly it has been draining on many. The overhaul was long overdue and had to be done. And most recently, the company just went through a change with the structure/segmentation of the business, which unfortunately resulted in some very competent, top of the line employees being let go. Everyone is just settling in with the changes and working through the adjustment period, but the caring and connected team spirit remains. There remains a lot of hard work ahead but this company still gets my vote for a great company to work for.

MicroAire Surgical Instruments Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for the positive comments and optimistic outlook. Change always brings challenges but we agree that the supportive atmosphere of peers has been an enormous boost and will help MicroAire... More

4. "Overall a great place to work"

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MicroAire is a family nit work environment.

Cons

Going through management change currently

Advice to Management

Keep up the efforts to strengthen communication from the top down.

5. "A joy to come to work everyday!"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MicroAire provides its workers with challenging work in a fast paced industry while maintaining a small agile entrepreneurial feel and family atmosphere.

Cons

The two campuses poses a bit of a challenge to communication and collaboration but is nothing that a short 5 minute drive up the road can't solve.

Advice to Management

Stay engaged and fully vested in every employee's contribution to the company's goals.

"Heading in the Wrong Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hourly and mid-management staff are great to work with. Caring, devoted people who truly care about their products.

Cons

New Interim President gave us all the impression he wanted to hear from the employees. Unfortunately he does not walk the talk.
    Senior management is in total disarray and floundering to find themselves. Their relationship with one another is horrible. Total distrust with one another.
    Senior management continues to make irrational decisions failing to listen to their staff.
    Employees continue to be treated as assets no longer people.

Advice to Management

Remember Bob P.

"Short Term Thinking: Cutting Committed Long Term Employees"

Pros

Committed, knowledgeable employees who really care for each other
    Great products that help people
    Continuous improvement culture

Cons

No vision for the future - accountants have taken control
    Cronyism at its worst
    Back to the future - undoing 8 years of progress, back to a failed model
    Good people being laid off to make accountants happy

Advice to Management

Remember Bob P
    One Star for current President (not George Saiz)

8. "Interesting technical challenges and People-centric culture"

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time

Pros

- interesting and challenging work
    - individuals are empowered
    - invests in employee training and field educational opportunities
    - management is approachable and treats employees with respect
    - co-workers care about one another and express support and gratitude

Cons

- communication tends to be informal and sometimes not complete or timely
    - as the company has grown in size and complexity, systems and processes have not always been scaled up sufficiently

9. "MicroAire is an excellent company to work for and I'm proud to be an employee."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Great benefits, excellent leadership, kind and caring organization, lots of friendly people and smiling faces, wonderful culture, opportunities for advancement, always striving for excellence in all that we do, always encouraging creative solutions, ongoing learning and development, growing company, and much more.

Cons

Too many meetings and not enough time to fully complete projects.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to learn and be successful. Continue with the open door policy.

"Still optimistic"

I have been working at MicroAire Surgical Instruments full-time

Pros

Was once a great company in which to work. In the past respect was shown towards customers and employees alike. Morale was once very high. Perhaps it will be again one day.

Cons

Bean counter, buzz word management took over for the experience and knowledge that built the company. Management only knows that we make widgets, they know little about medical devices or the medical industry. Management shows little if any respect for subordinate personnel. Customer complaints seem to be of little concern to Management.

Advice to Management

Bring back people that are knowledgeable within the medical device industry.