Midtronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Steve McShane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good compney to work and learn"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Willowbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

small company means different things to do. Has very good new product development process.

Cons

Micro-management and required to work in fast paced product development.

Advice to Management

none

"A market leader that is losing its edge"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Willowbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Willowbrook, IL

I worked at Midtronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. A leader in its market segment (automotive battery management) with strong brand recognition amongst its customers
    2. Strong market share in the US
    3. A privately-held company with global offices (EU and Asia) that could give you exposure to multiple facets on how a company operates
    4. Founder who cares for its employees, wants to invest in the business, and strives to maintain a family-oriented culture

Cons

1. Company is striving to become a market leader, yet its execution of business strategy and software delivery track record lately have been poor
    2. Engineering has become a weakness for the company due to multiple software quality issues post product release and its finger-pointing attitude
    3. Benefit plans & compensation level are not comparable to other public companies
    4. Internal business process is not mature while new ones that are being introduced are not well executed
    5. Limited career advancement opportunity
    6. All middle and senior management positions are occupied by white males; minorities are confined to engineering department
    7. Uncertain company future once the founder steps down

Advice to Management

Better execution & really invest in the people

3. "Electrical Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Midtronics (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a lot of prospect and growth. If you are willing to join this company you will be learning a lot of stuff and you will also get an opportunity to put forward your ideas

Cons

There are no cons of this company as such but the stationary department of the company needs to be uplifted.

Advice to Management

Put more manpower to different departments and results will be shown. The potential of the people working is too good.

"Midtronics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good values and owner definitely cares about employees.

Cons

Not much long term career potential. Lots of outside hires instead of promoting within the organization.

Advice to Management

Promote within. Lots of open positions can be filled with internal employees. It is sending a bad message.

"Great Company w/ Great People"

Current Employee - Sales in Willowbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job environment & atmosphere. Open collaboration. Freedom to state your opinion and do your job to the best of your ability. A compnay that is not only growing, but uses that growth to invest in its products and people.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of one in my tenure with Midtronics thus far.
    (No, my bosses cannot see this so I'm not being purposely biased :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what ya doing.

"One of the best places to work in Chicago"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer-Tester Platform in Willowbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer-Tester Platform in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment. The supervisors and managers are friendly and accommodating. They will try their best to help you out. Here, you get the best hands-on experience from planning a new product right down to soldering components for prototyping. Well set up and maintained lab facilities, you get all the equipment you will ever need.

Cons

I think the company is more into improving it's current products instead of allocating more resources to developing new products. New inventions are limited and the overall pace of development is somewhat slow.

Advice to Management

More resources should be allocated to research.

"A company that cares about it's people."

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Specialist in Willowbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Specialist in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been here long, but the thing that has stuck out most is the respect the company has for it's employees. The level of transparency is unreal. Everyone knows exactly where the company stands financially, what our goals are, and what the plan of action is, because we are all part of the conversation. The on-boarding process was phenomenal, and I instantly felt like a valued member of the team. I appreciate the flexibility and growth potential allotted to my position.

Cons

Hmm, I've gained a few pounds because of all of the food that is always around. But, seriously - I'm very happy here so far.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent and offering a progressive, flexible work environment that allows employees to grow with the company.

"A place to start or transit."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time

Pros

Midtronics is a place to get started, re-start or to transit. Midtronics feeds employees breakfast every Friday morning and lunch every third Wednesday of the month.

Cons

Midtronics hardly provide training to the employees. There is no room for grow. In certain areas, managers get all the credits. There is no promotion from within and no knowledge sharing. In certain area, manager yells, screams and bullies to the degree of abusive.

Advice to Management

To the top management, exercise care and pay attention to what you hire to the upper management positions. And, pay a little more attention to the rank-n-file.

9. "A great place to work! Very caring and employee centered."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They care a lot about their employees. I mean they even provide free breakfast on casual Friday and free lunch at a monthly employee meeting where they talk about the company. If you like to be challenged by your work, this is the place for you! Employment is pretty secure here. They had no layoffs during the recession.

Cons

The company has grown a lot very rapidly in the past few years and is changing some of the way they do things. Not everyone likes that but it does seem to be needed.

"Lots of Stress"

Current Employee - Engineering in Willowbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering in Willowbrook, IL

I have been working at Midtronics (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are generally bonuses every year. The benefits are competitive.

Cons

Lots of yelling if thinks are not done correctly, lots of quarreling between departments

Advice to Management

Stop always having to find someone to blame. Whenever you blame someone that works for you, you really need to look at yourself. Are you empowering the individual employee allowing them to succeed or fail, or are you micro managing and not allowing them to prove themselves?