KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MindGym Reviews

Updated Oct 19, 2021

Found 107 of over 121 reviews

3.6
MindGym CEO Octavius Black (no image)
Octavius Black
Pros
  • "While the environment is very fast paced it isn't internally competitive(in 8 reviews)

• "Colleagues are hard working, driven and motivated to do a good job - as well as being truly down to earth and lovely people(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It is a culture that is based on high expectations and little support(in 10 reviews)

• "It is run by two passionate, brilliant people who often fail to see how their actions dictate a toxic work environment(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

1y

works at

Deloitte

Harshest feedback you’ve ever received?

6,961

602 Comments

Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0

Couldn't be happier

Aug 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best decision to come here. The leadership listen, open to hearing divergent thoughts, and people are talented and smart. The future is bright - very excited to be a part of the company's growth.

Cons

So much work it piles on. Would be best if there was more planning to ensure proper resourcing and delivery.

MindGym Response

Thanks for your review, delighted to hear that your experience at MindGym is living up to your expectations.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Horrible Place to work. Burnout is praised, and DEI is non-existant

Oct 19, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

I wish I took the time to read the Glassdoor reviews before starting at this company. I was experiencing bullying, harassment, micro management, and being belittled all at the same time. HR is not helpful and they basically turn a blind eye to employees in need, and sides with management to engage is harmful bullying. MindGym is a poor excuse for a company that provides any form of training to companies who trust Mind Gym with their money. The amount of bullying that takes place here leaves me in pure shock. I left meetings feeling belittled and when I express concern regarding my mental health I was told to "take a deep breath" and this would allow me to feel better. Additionally, this is a company that does not prioritize diversity. You only thrive here if you are white and British. This company is full of unqualified white women who do not understand DEI, allyship, or have a basic understanding of navigating the workplace. The amount of excessive use of AAVE is unsettling, being referred to as "Sis, and Queen" on a daily basis is not something that my white counterparts do not have to experience and think this is the best way to connect with the only person of color on their team. Finally, there is no professional growth at Mind Gym. The only way a promotion is possible is if your manager is your best friend and pushes you up the ladder. It is a horrible establishment. From the gaslighting CEO to the unqualified Senior Project Managers in addition to the CORRUPT sales people. I would NEVER recommend Mind Gym as a place for anyone to invest time or money.

6 people found this review helpful

MindGym Response

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience at Mind Gym, and I am truly disappointed you did not directly experience our efforts to improve the work environment in the Americas. As the leader of this division, I was not aware but take responsibility for your experience. Even more important, please know that bullying and harassment has always been unacceptable in our culture, and I hope you are willing to reach out to me directly to share more about your experiences so we can address those concerns immediately. We’ve recently increased the diversity in our leadership ranks and board as well as implemented several operational improvements to improve tactical ways of working, but we acknowledge there is more work to be done at every level of the organization. We are committed to listening and understanding how we can further prioritize our focus to make things better. This is something I’d like to work on together in the most transparent way, accepting what’s not working and committing to making continuous and meaningful progress. I hope you are willing to help me make improvements that will benefit everyone, I am absolutely willing to listen and learn. Posted on behalf of Wei-Li Chong

3. 1.0
      Current Employee

Unethical, poor leadership, high turnover

Oct 8, 2021 - Client Services
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing about working for MindGym is positive. Employees are worked to death, the organization lacks diversity (but ironically offers DEI trainings), and the work culture is sick or swim .

Cons

Where do I start? MindGym is not for everyone. This company is not for professionals who want to work in an environment that is rooted in growth and opportunity. MindGym is not for people who want to be respected by executives, HR, managers, and their coworkers. As you can see on Glassdoor, the CEO is responsive to employees who voice their concerns about this terrible company. It is also apparent how he overtly gaslights each response and invalidates people's experiences. He says, "I hope you find somewhere that suits you better" instead of creating a work environment where EVERYONE feels like they can thrive. Do not waste your time working for a business like MindGym. Perhaps if clients took a look at MindGym's glassdoor they would invest their money else where and receive executive and management trainings that they desperately need .

6 people found this review helpful

MindGym Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review on MindGym. We are working hard on creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive but I appreciate this wasn't the case for you. We are in an incredibly fast growing stage of our journey and the pace of change is demanding. We are seeing a positive trend in promotions and growth for our colleagues although we recognise there is always more we can do which we are trying to address with our revised talent planning process. I would very much welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly about your experience so I can learn more. Thanks Zarina

4. 5.0

I love my job!

Jul 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Autonomy -Leadership -Great culture and super bright coworkers -The work we are doing/offer to our clients! -Work/Life balance -Flexibility -DEI initiatives -Employee wellbeing is important -Encourage continuous learning & participation in our trainings offered -The future is digital, which is recognized and where the company is going -Room for Growth/ career mapping

Cons

Honestly, no complaints on my end. If you prefer a job where you won't be challenged and a slow paced environment, this is not the place for you.

MindGym Response

Thanks for the review, great to have such enthusiastic people on our team. Go MindGym.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Employees are consistently undervalued and turnover is high.

Jul 26, 2021 - Client Services Project Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Employees (individual contributors and line managers) are brilliant, hardworking, genuinely caring, supportive people who are are just overall amazing to work with! Have made some life long friends and network connections because of the people who Mind Gym hires. -Products / services Mind Gym offers to clients are special and fascinating (especially if you like psychology, behavioral science, diversity & inclusion, etc.) and can really make an impact on the organizations they partner with. -Vacation time is competitive. Other benefits are average. -Nice big new office if you're in NYC. -US leaders acknowledge and are transparent about problems within the organization.

Cons

-Employees are extremely overworked and underpaid. If you do your research, any of its competitors will pay more than Mind Gym. Mind Gym also doesn't do merit or yearly based increases and officially only does increases for promotions (for which the salaries aren't even negotiable). They say they do cost of living increases but never saw this during my 3-year tenure while living in NYC (one of the most expensive cities in the US). Generally, people feel burned out and undervalued working here. -Global Senior Leaders (in particular the cofounders Octavius Black and Seb Bailey) seem completely out of touch with the US business and the US employee needs. When they speak on global company wide calls they come across as disingenuous and quite frankly full of it. They're great idea guys but don't seem to have great business acumen. -The portfolio is huge, making it difficult to maintain and ensure quality. Many things are introduced only to be immediately tabled because it doesn't actually work in practice. This makes it very difficult on employees and creates a poor experience for clients. Some are great, creative ideas but very little long-term thinking or strategy goes into them. Mind Gym is always onto the next shiny new thing with little follow through for the projects / ideas that came before. -Operations are a complete mess, making it very difficult to collaborate cross functionally (which is critical to the success of the business). The hardest part about working at Mind Gym was Mind Gym itself. The company literally makes it harder for you to do your job and therefore be successful. -There is a lack of focus at Mind Gym and very little thought / direction for the future. Most recently, there has been a major emphasis on a new business / team who focuses on Digital offerings. While this function is extremely important for the future of the business, Mind Gym has depriorized its core business (which is essentially funding digital), making employees who work for it (which is the majority of Mind Gym) feel undervalued and unrecognized. It also means that highly necessary improvements needed to be made to the core business are either not happening or not happening quickly enough. -Though leaders are aware of the problems at Mind Gym and are transparent with employees that these systematic issues need to be fixed, I had seen very little improvement during my time there while the same issues continued to pop up over and over again. History repeats itself at Mind Gym and lessons are never learned. -Company does not practice what it preaches. Though Mind Gym is in the business of helping other organizations improve in some way, shape or form, the company doesn't walk the walk nor does it lead by example for clients.

11 people found this review helpful

MindGym Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review and thank you for all your hard work and commitment you put into MindGym over the past three years. In many ways, we are excited about the growth of the business and the challenges we are solving for clients around the globe. Having said that, we recognize our growth is causing strain on our systems, many of which were set up years ago. We’ve been working hard to improve many of the areas you’ve pointed out. Specifically in Americas, we have invested in a leadership team with experience in areas that better balance our overall capability. We’ve also invested heavily in operations, launching new teams and systems to help us work more efficiently and collaboratively. We are now engaging in a review of our talent practices to ensure we are developing, engaging, rewarding and recognizing our employees in a better way. While we are extremely proud of our organization’s heritage and the people who bring to life our points of view in a way that inspires change, we do recognize the need to evolve the way we work. I appreciate these changes may not be happening as fast as some would like and only wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The waste of potential is such a shame.

Jul 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fantastic people. For the most part, everyone is incredibly caring, eager to help, and smart as can be. It's sincere, and that's rare to find. - US leadership is diverse, approachable, and speaks to inspiring changes for the company. - The quality of content/products is top notch. Everything is informed by research and there are incredible graphic designers. - PTO is competitive and 401K matching is nice, though not that impressive.

Cons

- Huge UK and US divide. UK hosts all innovation direction, brand development, digital transformation, etc. The US, on the other hand, is the revenue generator for the business, always out performing UK sales. This creates a painful gap where UK has opportunities for growth and US feels like an undervalued churn of work. - Pay and bonus. The US salaries are below market rate across the board. The bonus, part of boost to low pay, is extremely stratified with company goals. This cuts the bonus percentage a lot from the sticker price. - No annual raises. Budget conversations aren't even lined up with performance cycles. Raises come when you get a promotion. To get a promotion, you need to do 3 other people's role until you burnout. - No practicing what's preached. There are guides to reference for information, but not in a central location. No formal in role training. Sink or swim - low performance is not an option; lay offs happen. - Cross team collaboration is painful, though the business, to its credit, openly admits this and is working on it with operational excellence.

10 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

New Hire Review

Jun 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone in every area has been eager and willing to assist in my on boarding.

Cons

There is a high level of ambiguity as the company is growing quickly. This is only a con if you are not comfortable with that environment.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be an amazing place to work

May 5, 2021 - Client Team Member (CTM)
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is pretty good, if you can stick around through the layoff cycles. The people here are amazing, and really care about the work that they are doing. I have never seen so many really smart people work together and work so hard in my life. Really a shame upper management does not care or see value in these employees.

Cons

Upper Management really does not care about their employees (no matter how much they say they do). This company has gone through 2 major layoff cycles in the past year, letting people go that they hired less than 8 months ago. No communication and no long term plan. Most of the tenured people are running for the hills at this point, multiple resignations every week - many with no new positions. Entire sales team and client team is run by people who have never had a sales background. Little to no internal promotions. I have seen maybe 3 on the entire client team (sales team) as a whole.

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great potential but misaligned focus/expectations

Apr 30, 2021 - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People! Some of the smartest and most well-rounded individuals I've worked with in my entire career. - Culture. The firm has built a decent culture with nice perks and social events. - Meaningful work and the impact it has on people in a positive manner. - Learning. I was here for ~1.5 years and was stretched in many ways and learned a lot. You can also take some of the Mind Gym courses to learn.

Cons

- Capacity and getting every ounce out of employees. There is a big push to give Project Managers volume and more projects without realizing how much effort each project takes and the impact it has. - Constant focus and push on revenue recognition. Management was strict about this and so much time spent on: how do we convince the customer to sign-off on this work product? Revenue is important but it felt sleezy the work it was discussed and pushed internally. - Lack of work-life and flexability; it's a strict 9 AM to 6 PM and WFH is frowned upon. Preference is everyone is in the office so can constantly be watched and be micromanaged to some extent. - Very high-pace, and at times, stressful work environment. The average employee tenure is around 1-1.50 years and I observed a lot of turnaround at the firm (and since I've left). - Internal inter-department tension: Delivery focus was revenue recognition while other groups wanted to work on deliverables at their own pace, so there is constant clash between Project Managers, designers and solution archtitects. - Comp is horrible. There is no annual bonus or annual raise (which I learned after the fact). The firm doesn't even take into account inflation and that's not acceptable.

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Poor pay

Apr 28, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture and nice people

Cons

Poor pay and poor benefits

2 people found this review helpful