Moffitt Cancer Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Moffitt Cancer Center Reviews

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Moffitt Cancer Center President & CEO Alan F. List, M.D.
Alan F. List, M.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is often poor (in 7 reviews)

• Sad to see that what I thought to be a great company is nothing but a wolf in sheep's clothing (in 4 reviews)

1. "data analyst"

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time

Pros

onsite childcare and cafeteria; decently competitive salaries;

Cons

don't expect an increase during the salary market reviews if you aren't part of the clinical staff; parking is limited and you must pay; most new employees are required to park remotely and take a shuttle to the main campus the first year of employment

2. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Intern in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center part-time

Pros

Excellent environment
    Perfect development of skills
    Growth

Cons

Short period for student internship

Advice to Management

NA

3. "registered nurse"

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time

Pros

great environment to work in

Cons

sometimes we are definitely understaffed

4. "Patient Relations Representative"

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time

Pros

No responsibilities in this position at all

Cons

pay is terrible, benefits are good

Advice to Management

start managing, upper management is great

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ONLY good thing about working as a researcher at Moffitt is they do have very good seminar talks. Moffitt provides research seminars several times per week which are highly educational especially for cancer immunotherapy. Thus, you have a great opportunity to because educated with top notch cancer research, BUT you have to be willing to put up with the horrible/toxic social environment there.

Cons

There were so many cons about working there, I will do my best to try and list them all. I resigned as soon as my contract ended and already had another job lined up. First off, they forced me to be shuttled in on a bus from my parking for 1 year before they gave me parking "near" the building I work in. Even then, it was still a block walk and I had to pay $1000/ year for the parking space. Riding a junky bus for a year before and after work when you have a PhD is absolutely insulting and unacceptable. It was horrible waiting for the shuttle bus in the rain, or when it was 95 deg F, and when I was tired from a long day at work. The social work environment is toxic. People are all stuck up and snobby. Barely anybody is friendly and people don't even look at each other in the hallway, let alone simply smile or god forbid act civil and say "hi". Many professors have MAJOR superiority complexes. When you go to seminars, only the high up people are (unofficially) allowed to sit at the front of the room. It's ridiculous and asinine to exclude and discourage young fresh minds such as grad students and postdocs from sitting in the front so that they can more readily be involved in the talk. The research equipment is severely lacking and what is there is always broken and takes forever to finally get fixed. You have to walk to different buildings and different floors just get an experiment done, and because they have way too many people using a small amount of equipment, a lot of times the machine is already taken when you get there with your samples ready. The equipment is often dirty, old, and/or broken. A ton of unprofessional and unacceptable things happen behind the scenes, but even when informed they just brush it all under the rug so the professors face no consequences and know they can basically get away with anything. They are also a greedy company. They say they are nonprofit, and pay the researchers crap for salary, but then I frequently saw doctors that work there pulling out of their cushy parking spots in their Maseraties! (ridiculous). Another example of their greediness, they make you pay back taxes on your own health insurance and daycare. When I did my taxes, I had to pay several thousand dollars of my tax money for my Moffitt health insurance and daycare. At most companies (that are not greedy) the company is suppose to cover the insurance tax for their employees, but nope not at Moffitt. Its the only place I've ever worked that did that. Unfortunately, most of the people who work there are way more concerned with their social status, how they are dressed, and what everyone looks like than actually doing good cancer research and helping people. Its sad and pathetic to me. I honestly felt like I was back in high school working there, with cliques and popularity contests. On top of that, you can constantly see the high up people having their expensive "receptions" on the bottom atrium floor with their fancy foods and top shelf liquors/drinks. Really!? Maybe if you spent less money on your expensive parties for your suits and ties, you could invest that money into your subpar research facility to fix all the broken equipment and get more equipment so its not always taken when people need to get their experiments done. Poor management for sure. Basically, the research sector of Moffitt is just for show so that they can get NIH/NCI comprehensive cancer center designation, but they really only care about the hospital sector because they charge the patients so much money for treatment that's where they make all their money. They are super bureaucratic and treat you like a number not a human being. Forced annual fluhots (there was talk of biannual when I left), forced blood tests and drug tests for preemployment even when you don't work with patients. Working at Moffitt was a horrible experience and everyday I couldn't wait to not work there anymore. It's not worth the toll it takes on your mental sanity, especially for such crap salary. Don't waste your time, there are way better places to work. Life is short, don't settle.

Advice to Management

Its too far gone, there's no hope with the toxic work environment you've created.

"Financial Clearance Specialist"

Former Employee - Financial Clearance Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Clearance Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is awesome at what they do helping cancer patients. employees make you feel like family. pay was decent received pay increase in less than 1 year working. very flexible with schedule and requesting time off. I loved working here and hated i had to leave.

Cons

no real method of training to do your job.

"Great the first 5 years but then Moffitt's leadership has gone down hill for all employees."

Former Employee - Management Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great retirement, good motive to put patients first. Worked with some good people over the years. Employee acute clinic.

Cons

Employees are overworked, underpaid, leadership doesn't care about the concerns/issues employees address to them. Horrible health insurance. All they talk about is cost savings and how to continue to cut money in each department. However leadership constantly spending on other meaningless things. Huge turnover last 5 years,we lost good doctos,app,nurses,etc from these same issues! No flexible work arrangements available. Work/ life balance is horrible now. Dont recommend for working parents as they care less if you have children.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, stop overworking people, appreciate employees not just by words. Really encourage and mandate flexible work arrangements in each department. Also provide better salary sms health insurance as other facilities do locally.

8. "Great Healthcare system"

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time

Pros

Magnet Certified; multiple opportunities for nurses to advance career with Clinical Ladder

Cons

Moffitt is a great organization

9. "Excellent work place"

Current Employee - Management Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Management Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance highly promoted. Supporters of LGBTQ community, This company thinks about their employees by promoting cancer prevention screening.

Cons

Nothing to complain about. This company is great to work for and believes in higher education. I parking maybe the only issue.

Advice to Management

None

"Scheduler"

Former Employee - Scheduling Coordinator
    Former Employee - Scheduling Coordinator

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made a lot of good friends over my 6 years there

Cons

Management, supervisors, and quality changing too often. Too much pressure on scripting. They have adopted a robot feel towards patients instead of embracing the overall feel of our phone interactions. It's all about the numbers!!! I lost all respect for Moffitt and quit. Over 20 doctors quit within 2 years and countless nurses quit too! Caused so much chaos in the scheduling world and for patients! Moffitt isn't what they used to be.