Multiply Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Multiply CEO Rich Dredge
Rich Dredge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some of the firm stances the company took have softened to be more employee friendly and have increased the quality of the work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Casual dress code, free snacks and gym membership (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest problems stemmed from poor upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Sadly, some people that were let go weren't aware of the issue that caused the massive layoffs (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Headed In The Right Direction"

I have been working at Multiply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multiply has completely shifted its priorities to focus on worthwhile content and an enjoyable user experience. Since the rebranding, the company has had an amazing year and is looking to expand. I am confident that we aren't just chasing dollars, but looking to establish a real presence and attract a dedicated audience.
    While the company's certainly had its missteps, they have always offered opportunity to those who ask for it. I've grown tremendously since I started working here and have received a lot of encouragement to continue that growth.

Cons

They don't always offer clear paths for upward movement within the company, so you have to ask for what you want, but they are receptive to people who are vocal and invested. The company's history isn't great, and they traditionally sacrifice long-term goals in favor of short-term ones, but that has changed since the beginning of 2017.

Advice to Management

Offer clear growth opportunities to those who deserve it. Continue what we've started to build this year.

Jun 7, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for your feedback and letting us know you how you feel about the Company’s strategy and direction we are heading! It’s an exciting time and will be a team effort to achieve our goals. Please... More

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at Multiply part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great relaxed work environment with great people. Lots of snacks, fun break rooms, and competitive pay are among the benefits.

Cons

Management could listen to the departments better. Layoffs last year hit hard, and some departments don't have the manpower to keep up anymore.

Advice to Management

Work on listening to the departments better. Some departments needed more people before the layoffs last year, and are now struggling even more than before.

Jun 7, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for your feedback and being part of the winning team we are building. We’re glad you enjoy the work environment and great people. To meet the goals we’ve laid out for the team, you’re right we... More

"Avoid like the plague!"

I worked at Multiply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pride themselves on being a Silicon Valley-type company in St. Louis and lure you in with perks like free snacks, team happy hours, and casual dress code. They also hire incredibly smart people (at least at the lower levels) and my coworkers were always a joy to be around. But the good things pretty much end there...

Cons

The biggest problems stemmed from poor upper management. Managers who constantly made costly mistakes were promoted into senior positions, then they were surprised when those same mistakes kept happening.

There was never a long-term plan. Managers tried every short-term trick in the book to squeeze every last dollar out of customers, and once our users started to hate us, management decided to just rebrand and start new projects doing the same thing that never worked in the past.

We never had any goals to work toward, because our objectives were changing constantly. While change is normal within a startup, we're talking changes every hour. We'd start on a project in the morning and by afternoon we'd be told we were switching gears, then the next day we'd be onto something totally different.

There was also a lack of trust between managers and their employees. No one was allowed to work from home unless it was an emergency (even though it was completely possible for nearly all of us to do our jobs remotely), and we had to work from our desks at all times (no sitting outside on nice days or using an empty conference room for some privacy). Basically, you had to be within your supervisor's line of sight otherwise they assumed you weren't working. Not all managers were like this, because a few of my supervisors were truly awesome, but upper management made all the rules.

There's also very, very little diversity. Upper management was a boys' club, and, at least in my office, I don't think I ever saw even one person of color working there. Most of the upper managers also fit the stereotypical "frat boy" personality--the type who uses the term "work hard, play hard" way too often and gets way too excited during after-work drinks. They try so hard to look like this cool tech company it's like they forget that making money is more important than free beer.

Then, of course, there were the layoffs. We lost a big client (which many of us had been warning upper management about for months!!) and we had an all-hands meeting where our CEO told us that they would do absolutely everything they could to cut costs elsewhere so they wouldn't have to lay people off. Three days later, they let go of nearly half the staff in our office. You can't plan a mass layoff in only three days, so either 1) They did a rush job and didn't thoroughly think it through, or 2) They knew they'd have to cut jobs and lied to us about it. Either way, it was extremely unprofessional and a great way to burn your bridges with your employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! You hired us for our ideas, so trust that we can provide valuable input too. Those employee happiness surveys are useless unless you actually do something about our complaints. Also, don't brag about buying a brand new Tesla when the company is struggling and you have to lay off dozens of employees!

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, and yes, 2016 was a tough year for the company. While the restructuring we completed earlier this year was a challenging process for us, it was a great... More

"Fun for a while"

Former Employee - Art Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Art Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Multiply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great snacks, casual work attire

Cons

Projects and goals were changed very often, almost daily. Not good at keeping 'team' looped in on projects progress. Hard to get feedback on projects, and tasks, sometimes would just never get an answer so a lot of things got dropped.

Advice to Management

You need to set goals and actually try to meet them through improvement of product instead of just abandoning when it doesn't turn around a profit in a week.

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for your feedback. You’re right that it is critical to have and stick to a sustainable, long-term business strategy, and our actions this year demonstrate how important we believe this... More

"Fast money or bust"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Multiply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, free snacks, great equipment

Cons

Still obsessed with extremely over monetized content meant to deceive consumers and wring every last dollar out before users figure out what's being done, when it tanks they shift strategy and serve up the same junk in a different way till that tanks. Be ready to spend your time rebranding the same data over and over. The only ideas they see as worthy are the ones that generate fast money. It was a fun ride on the way up but it's now in a death spiral.

Advice to Management

Take your golden parachute and leave, your strategies have destroyed a top ten com score website ( not google as you claim ). Marketing needs ground up house cleaning, this is not supposed to be a pyramid scheme it should be a long term business strategy. It takes time to build something great but obviously only a few years to ruin it.

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for your feedback. We don’t disagree with you about the importance of having and sticking to a sustainable, long-term business strategy. Since the end of 2016, we have placed an emphasis on... More

"Awesome until it wasn't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

You'll learn new technology and ways to solve problems. You'll work with cool people and feel like you are are a part of something greater than yourself. The benefits are good, and when the money is rolling in, expenses on people's professional development and comfort are not spared. One of the few dot-coms in Saint Louis that feels like a real dot-com operating at scale.

Cons

Management's best intentions to provide relevance, treat employees well, and participate responsibly in our popular culture are hampered by the short-term goals of the investors to extract value from your efforts. With some regularity, this means good people are summarily dismissed. With great regularity, this means good ideas are set aside in order to generate the superficial illusion of quality instead of real, solid, innovative content and engineering.

Advice to Management

Divest from the holding company. Get back to your roots and make something genuinely cool again.

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. In your current role, hopefully you’re able to utilize the technology and problem solving you picked up while making contributions as part of the... More

"Once was great, but now a sinking ship"

I worked at Multiply full-time

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, nice people, relaxed atmosphere, get to drink beer on Fridays, occasional happy hours.

Cons

Executives and management never listen to their employees. They say they welcome new ideas and encourage you to share concerns, but if they even give you the time of day, anything you say will go in one ear and out of the other. Company only focuses on what's making money right now, and as a result, the team is constantly pivoting. Zero consistency. Executives and management can't see the bigger picture.

Certain departments are underpaid for what's asked of them. Some departments would never get their bonuses, not because their performance was poor, but because the bonus system for that department was nonsensical.

The company has a relaxed dress code, but female interns and employees were exclusively told that they have to cover up more after some male employees were caught being "distracted" by the women. Executives who where responsible for losing the company large sums of money remain at the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You had tons of very talented people working at your company. People who had plenty of ideas on how to solve many of your problems. Since you never listened to us, you now find yourself in the position you're in now... a sinking ship.

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Multiply full-time

Pros

Worked with some really amazing and creative people who gave it their all and made it a positive environment.

Cons

Constant changes and shifting goals left no confidence in leadership, and in the end, it was clear they had no idea how to fix the mess they created. The workers didn't create the problem, it was management and leadership failures. Making horrible decisions about "monetizing" everything to the point that the company lost its biggest revenue source after repeated warnings. Yet everyone at the top, the people who made these terrible decisions despite employee protests, appears to have kept their jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they tell you things aren't right. Incorporate some of their ideas into your plans. You might actually learn something. Don't lay off 57 people the week before Thanksgiving while retaining almost all of upper management. The underlings didn't cause this mess. Good look figuring it out.

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for your contributions with the company and input about your experience with us. Also, please forgive my delay in responding to your note as much has happened since you left this review. A... More

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

great hardware to work on, fun environment, fun events for employee moral

Cons

leadership is often not in sync with rest of the company, reviews are long and drawn out,

Advice to Management

pay more attention to what is going on with your staff, keeping good people around long term is better than short term wins

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

Thanks for taking the time to provide input - both your thoughts on the what you enjoyed most about being part of the team and how we can improve. This is helpful perspective on ensuring there’s... More

"Don't. Just don't."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Multiply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The lower level employees, at least in my division, *were* great (before they were all fired). Free snacks, casual culture, good health insurance.

Cons

Where to begin?

From the start, working at Answers/Multiply was always a little... hectic. I'd be jumping from project to project on a regular basis, getting shifted between teams, using new technologies. It was kind of cool until I realized why it was happening: the upper management had no long term strategy whatsoever. The business plan of the company could be summed up with "chase whatever is currently making us the most money! put all of our eggs in that basket!" Inevitably, that leads to things going south if that one revenue stream does. It happened last summer with the layoffs and happened again with the layoffs this November. Both times, of course, the management team that led us in that direction stayed on and continued to lead us in similar directions. "We've learned from our mistakes" they said; "we won't do it again." To give them credit, they did actually try to implement multiple revenue streams and some new ideas this year, but as soon as they realized that it would actually be work and effort to do this, they shut those ideas down and went right back to the same old song and dance. Lack of long-term strategy made it feel like a ship perpetually in the process of sinking but never quite sunk yet.

Upper management had absolutely no idea how long technical tasks would take and would set entirely unrealistic deadlines for accomplishing major projects, leading lower-level managers to have to fight back against them for some actual time for their direct reports to complete things. Lower level employees had little to no opportunity for advancement unless you were part of the brown-nose bro-tastic boys club, in which case you got three promotions in the span of a year and a half. There were far too many VPs, leading to a lot of scatterbrained running off in different directions, each exec chasing his/her own little rabbit instead of the company actually focusing on something meaningful and robust. CEO should have been doing more big picture strategy and less ad revenue micromanagement, or someone else should have been CEO so he could do that micromanagement. The company needed leadership that could look beyond the "ooh, shiny!" reflex and see the bigger picture: our content was terrible and our pages were utterly saturated in ads so as to squeeze every last penny out of every pageview, and we weren't going after anything to improve user experience whatsoever.

Transparency was a difficult thing for the company until very recently, when it got slightly better (until, you know, they reassured us our jobs would be the last thing to be cut 72 hours before firing half of us). Compensation was mediocre at best; I felt underpaid and undertitled for the level of work I did, and others I know were being paid far less than me. There was little to no diversity throughout the company, and especially not at the executive or management level. Employee feedback on the direction of the company was neither solicited nor listened to when given; we were told "do this" "it's top priority" "i need it done by the end of the day", making each task sound as if it were life or death for us (which, in retrospect, perhaps it might have been). Anything to improve quality of life for employees while working (e.g., fixing tech debt) was never prioritized, as there was always some über-high priority thing that needed to be done yesterday.

In all, not the best experience. The negatives overwhelmed the positives pretty thoroughly. While the community and friends I made there were great, the actual work experience with the company and the company itself was pretty abysmal.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone else replace you. Barring that, listen to employee ideas. Diversify your income streams. Make a long-term strategy and THINK IT OUT before you do. Make yourselves more robust so that changes with a single partner don't completely doom you as they have in the past.

May 12, 2017 – Vice President - Business Operations

We’re glad you enjoyed the opportunity to work with different teams and learn new technology. Thanks for providing us feedback on your time with the company including the communication improvements... More