MySpace Reviews

• Part-time
3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Vanderhook

Pros
  • The company offers Great technology, Great benefits (in 7 reviews)

• Other than the free food they would sometimes provide, I don't have too many good things to say about MySpace (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of vision, lots of lay-offs (in 4 reviews)

• There's no direction from upper management and were absent most of the time, probably golfing or on vacation (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fun Work Environment"

I worked at MySpace full-time

Pros

Young and energetic work environment.

Cons

Started to get too big.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with all departments.

2. "Great for mid- or entry-level employees"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MySpace (More than a year)

Pros

As a mid level employee there was lots of opportunity to move up and it was more fun than previous jobs I've had. Even when the company was having trouble, people were very kind to newcomers. The troubles with the company leveled the playing field and allowed people like me to have more input.

Cons

The company's uncertain future made the place very political. But when you were a lower level employee, those politics didn't bother you very much, as long as you did your work, enjoyed the benefits, and stayed out of it.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent with your employees. If times are tough, then the more we know about it, the more we're in it with you. Limits politics and realize that sometimes troublesome employees simply have a difference of opinion and are worth hearing out.

3. "Administrative Project Manager"

Former Employee - Administrative Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work until the company was sold! Employee Appreciation Week was always a huge success. The Call Center always took care of their employee's.

Cons

Nothing to report; everything was great until MySpace was sold.

5. "Good"

Former Employee - UI Design in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - UI Design in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love being part of a team that immediately feels like a second family. I get to help out people every day and be a part of a community that loves the same things that I do as well. I would recommend working here if you get the chance! What a great place to be.

Cons

Sometimes morale gets low due to a large amount of casino client work. But the agency looks to be moving toward more non-casino brands (beer, restaurants, etc) which is a healthy move.

6. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at MySpace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, low stress, working at huge scale. Great location (downtown Seattle). I think there was a lot of potential for making a significant difference.

Cons

Working on a dying product that is trying to be turned around but there's enough debt (technical, design, or otherwise) that it's unlikely to happen.

Advice to Management

Invest in engineering and great ux instead of milking the site for ad dollars.

7. "Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Creative environment and nice people

Cons

Lack of vision by management leads to multiple teams working on the same thing.

Advice to Management

Let the experts do the work

"Let It Go"

Former Employee - Artist Relations/Content in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Artist Relations/Content in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Free lunches while it lasted, good working environment before the layoffs, flexible hours, once a big name in the tech industry is good padding on the resume. Lots of events, secret shows were fun, and a lot of connections made in the entertainment and tech industry.

Cons

I was part of the group that got laid off last year but even before that, the entire team was getting decimated every quarter. There was really only one person holding everything together especially in tech -- ronnie, if you see this, you'd really be better off somewhere else bro. People in my department working for years got laid off and only 2 people were left, which is bonkers because they sold us that they want to focus on content. There's no direction from upper management and were absent most of the time, probably golfing or on vacation.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in day to day and take leadership training. Most of you don't have vision and don't know how to be leaders.

9. "MYC"

Pros

Great place to work for

Cons

Lots of fun people with in

"Hot Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of little fun perks, like swag, an in-office restaurant, parties, etc.

Cons

Totally dysfunctional and disorganized. Meetings to get meetings to talk about the meeting and then meetings to discussing the meeting about the meeting ... you get the idea. Lots of ideas thrown around but no action. Seems like no one actually believes in anything anymore (which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising) -- which makes it hard to get people to take action. It's the most lax atmosphere ever, which some may consider a pro but to people looking to advance their careers, contribute to a growing company, and learn -- well, it just makes it feel pointless and a waste of time

Advice to Management

REBRAND. I think at this point, it's the only way to truly get people behind this site again!

11. "It was a mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MySpace (More than a year)

Pros

lots of fun, good people

Cons

changed direction so many times.

RSS Feed </> Embed