MySpace Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Vanderhook

Cons

1. "Did not work for myspacd"

Former Employee - General Labor in Hudson, MA
    Former Employee - General Labor in Hudson, MA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible and when I did start for the company they were very nice.

Cons

Was a hostile environment and very unprofessional and very rude espically my supervisor

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and when a employee goes up to you with some issues believe them don't try to sweep it under the rug.

2. "Fun time in uncertainty"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MySpace is a surprisingly fun place to work. Working at scale, great work-life balance. But also watching a company crumble from the inside. Not always fun in that sense but fascinating to see it and how the response from mgmt is on the inside.

Cons

From a technical standpoint there's plenty to learn but the things being built are a wasted effort because people aren't really using it.

"It was amazing while it lasted"

Former Employee - Architect in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity to work with some of the brightest, most creative people I had ever encountered, which I hadn't initially expected (given the reputation of the site in the era).

Both witnessed and contributed to practices and methodologies, born out of necessity, that eventually became industry standards.

Great environment to work in early on.

Really felt like we were changing the world at the time...and we absolutely were.

Cons

Lack of vision, broken promises, and repeatedly ignoring the advice of the internal cultivators who correctly predicted trends that we failed to capitalize on.

Acquisitions of products that weren't fully baked and didn't really fit with what we were doing would draw our attention away from things that users really needed.

Management remained more concerned with implementing masses of poorly conceived features than addressing long-standing user concerns that were ultimately drawing users away to other sites.

Many rounds of layoffs due to the above, ultimately killing team morale.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire. Listen to the people you hire. Stop alienating the individuals who clearly had a great passion for the product.

4. "Great for mid- or entry-level employees"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MySpace (More than a year)

Pros

As a mid level employee there was lots of opportunity to move up and it was more fun than previous jobs I've had. Even when the company was having trouble, people were very kind to newcomers. The troubles with the company leveled the playing field and allowed people like me to have more input.

Cons

The company's uncertain future made the place very political. But when you were a lower level employee, those politics didn't bother you very much, as long as you did your work, enjoyed the benefits, and stayed out of it.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent with your employees. If times are tough, then the more we know about it, the more we're in it with you. Limits politics and realize that sometimes troublesome employees simply have a difference of opinion and are worth hearing out.

5. "Administrative Project Manager"

Former Employee - Administrative Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Project Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work until the company was sold! Employee Appreciation Week was always a huge success. The Call Center always took care of their employee's.

Cons

Nothing to report; everything was great until MySpace was sold.

6. "Good"

Former Employee - UI Design in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - UI Design in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love being part of a team that immediately feels like a second family. I get to help out people every day and be a part of a community that loves the same things that I do as well. I would recommend working here if you get the chance! What a great place to be.

Cons

Sometimes morale gets low due to a large amount of casino client work. But the agency looks to be moving toward more non-casino brands (beer, restaurants, etc) which is a healthy move.

"Let It Go"

Former Employee - Artist Relations/Content in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Artist Relations/Content in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Free lunches while it lasted, good working environment before the layoffs, flexible hours, once a big name in the tech industry is good padding on the resume. Lots of events, secret shows were fun, and a lot of connections made in the entertainment and tech industry.

Cons

I was part of the group that got laid off last year but even before that, the entire team was getting decimated every quarter. There was really only one person holding everything together especially in tech -- ronnie, if you see this, you'd really be better off somewhere else bro. People in my department working for years got laid off and only 2 people were left, which is bonkers because they sold us that they want to focus on content.

There's no direction from upper management and were absent most of the time, probably golfing or on vacation.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in day to day and take leadership training. Most of you don't have vision and don't know how to be leaders.

"Hot Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at MySpace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of little fun perks, like swag, an in-office restaurant, parties, etc.

Cons

Totally dysfunctional and disorganized. Meetings to get meetings to talk about the meeting and then meetings to discussing the meeting about the meeting ... you get the idea. Lots of ideas thrown around but no action. Seems like no one actually believes in anything anymore (which I suppose shouldn't be too surprising) -- which makes it hard to get people to take action. It's the most lax atmosphere ever, which some may consider a pro but to people looking to advance their careers, contribute to a growing company, and learn -- well, it just makes it feel pointless and a waste of time

Advice to Management

REBRAND. I think at this point, it's the only way to truly get people behind this site again!

9. "It was a mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MySpace (More than a year)

Pros

lots of fun, good people

Cons

changed direction so many times.

10. "Getting better"

Former Employee - Support Representative in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Support Representative in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Still a good environment to work
    Lots of opportunities for growth
    Lots of focus to grow the company
    Myspace won't be what it was, for better or for worse, but new direction is good

Cons

Management was not the best, but getting better
    Would like to be updated more on specific direction
    Pay can be better but satisfied overall

Advice to Management

Be more visible.