NCH Software Reviews | Glassdoor

NCH Software Reviews

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Small business with some quirks"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at NCH Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the vacation package. Depending on how long you've been with the company, you get 4-5 weeks of PTO to be used as vacation or sick days. The time tracking software the company uses can be annoying, but it does allow a bit of a flexible work schedule depending on whether you are an early bird or prefer to start the day a little later. I like that I am able to schedule my workday around traffic. Like many small companies I've worked for, everyone wears a lot of hats. This is a plus for me, I like being able to work in several different areas of the company instead of being constrained to a small niche. If you are smart, work hard and learn to work within the company culture, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement. It really is a company that prefers to start someone at a Junior position and move them up to a Senior position as they learn and grow.

Cons

The time management system can make you feel like an hourly employee as opposed to a salaried professional. The office never closes, even if there is a blizzard outside and 3 feet of new snow. And you can't work from home. You either have to make up the time or use some of your PTO. NCH does not conduct annual reviews. This can be a pro for people who meet objectives quickly and end up getting frequent raises. For those who do not, they can go years without ever getting a raise or feedback.

Advice to Management

Work on fostering an employee/management relationship of mutual respect and appreciation. Employees need regular feedback - both positive and constructive criticism.

2. "Overall a great job!"

Former Freelancer - Software Developer in Parker, CO
    Former Freelancer - Software Developer in Parker, CO

I worked at NCH Software (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are friendly, the environment is open, the work is always new and interesting. I really enjoyed working on different platforms and the management here really works to put each developer on a project they could enjoy and are best suited for. I love C++ and it is the language everything is built with here.

Cons

Not much to complain about, I guess the only other thing that would be nice is if they would be a little more flexible with the time and location of older and trusted employees. Would have been really nice to be able to work from home some days. A game room with ping-pong would also be nice :)

Advice to Management

Probably could do less micro-managing in the coding part of things, otherwise, keep up the great work and the high quality of your products.

"A good experience, just don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Developer in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Developer in Greenwood Village, CO

Pros

The work is interesting because you can get feedback pretty quickly on how the product(s) or tasks that you work on are doing in terms of sales (the great equalizer - or gold standard - at NCH).
    The processes are generally fairly dynamic and "agile", the red tape is kept to a minimum.
    You get to work on a variety of platforms, which is a good experience.
    The benefits (Simple IRA, medical/dental/vision and PTO are competitive with other, similar small to medium sized businesses.
    The dress code is: no dress code.
    There is some flexibility in working hours.

Cons

Let's start with what turns most people off: the snitch program that you install before anything else. This program, as has bee reported in other reviews, logs EVERYTHING that you do on your computer. At least you know what it's for. So there is some issue with trusting employees.
    Your input, if asked for, will be dismissed. If it's any good, it will be regurgitated later by the top management as their own. You will not get any credit for coming up with a great idea. Most of your ideas will be dismissed and you will occasionally be treated as an incompetent nitwit.
    You will be paid the least possible salary.
    Your bonuses, if any, will be set in a way that you will not attain them.
    You will be micromanaged while the "big picture" slips by, unchallenged.
    The products are like the "dollar store" of software. This isn't Adobe or Oracle or some other big name in the software industry.
    After a while, you'll realize that there's no upward mobility. Do you want to be a developer forever? A marketing junior/senior forever? NCH is the place for you.

Advice to Management

I know better than giving "advice to management", "Management" listens to, heeds or suffers none.

5. "Great Work Environment"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at NCH Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible Schedule
    - Diverse and interesting mix of employees
    - Good Benefits

Cons

- Difficulties with time zone differences
    - Some level of micro-management

Advice to Management

Offer to be more assisting with issues rather than my way or highway.
    More involved meetings between different departments.

"Apathy, Inc."

Former Employee - Marketing Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Designer in Denver, CO

Pros

Decent benefits. Flexible with scheduling.

Cons

I was brought in initially to help "build the brand", but that became extremely difficult as the people in charge of making critical marketing decisions employed a substandard and financially superficial approach to design that ultimately became a waste of time and money. Marketing decisions were almost always based on SEO results and revenue generated by ads that were literally years old. Because of this, building a brand became nearly impossible as the company was always looking backward instead of forward.

Also worth mentioning is that you are monitored relentlessly. NCH monitors your keystrokes, takes screen shots of your monitor, records your web surfing habits, read your emails…the whole bit. Coupled with the below-average pay, these practices were in large part to what accounted for the comically large amount of the employee turnover.

Overall, I quit my job voluntarily because of the poor handling of marketing and creative, the low pay, the extremely low employee morale, and the overarching themes of “quantity over quality” in nearly every aspect of the company. I would definitely not recommend working at NCH Software.

NCH Software Response

Mar 25, 2016 – Vice President Operations

All reviews are subjective, but there are some inaccuracies in this one. NCH uses FlexiServer, an HR product, as a time clock for remote international hourly employees. It can also track productivity ... More

"Do not work at NCH Software"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at NCH Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice employees to Skype with (but nobody talks) and a benefits package is included depending on the salary negotiated. Also free coffee.

Cons

Employees have a purveying attitude of resentment and apathy due to atrocious, and at times lacking, management. There is a very high turnover rate, as far as I know there is only one person left in advertising, and this is evident throughout the company in projects employees are tasked with in which they have no clear understanding of how they were created or how to improve on them.

Middle-management does not exist here (they have all been fired); expect instead to be micro-managed by ownership through poorly written, confusing Emails. The running joke is everyone literally dreads clicking on their MS Outlook icon each morning. Worse is the climate of acquiescing to any idea or project given by ownership; even if it will be detrimental to your personal, or company, performance.

Keeping your head down and doing the minimum to stay out of trouble are the norm. The fear of change and investment is ripe here, which is frustrating as the software industry has great growth potential. Most technical help is in the Australia office, good luck coordinating your time zones.

In my opinion, there really isn’t even an advertising department. Mainly because there isn’t a clear strategy other than to throw money at various channels and see what works, but also there are no internal tools for marketing, sales, CRM, etc., with an emphasis to develop basic tools in-house even when it doesn’t make sense to.

The entire company, keep in mind this is a multi-million dollar, international software provider, is run through Excel spreadsheets.

Finally, you will be monitored by invasive timekeeping software created by NCH Software. Every minute you work, are idle, every keystroke, regular screenshots, program statistics, etc.; basically don’t expect any privacy, freedom, or flexibility in your schedule. For most positions the pay is very low. Embarrassingly low.

8. "Great Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at NCH Software full-time

Pros

Casual dress. No pagers. Great paid vacation. Fun staff from all walks of life. Cool software apps. Get to wear lots of task hats, depending on your position - development is a bit more straight forward. I have been with the company for a while and I can honestly say that it has been a rewarding experience on many fronts. While growing the company is a priority, it is clear that learning new things is allowed, along with the mistakes that come with learning new things. And without the kinds of stress that would come if you worked for a 24-7 emergency center with a pager attached to your hip. That is not NCH. It is a much more laid back approach to success. And the company has grown leaps and bounds while trying to keep things fun.

Cons

Work from home is not offered to local office staff. Only some remote staff outside of the US and Australia.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to be open to input from all staff on new products ideas, and be open to change and new ways of approaching growth challenges.

"Very ridgid "my way or the highway" attitude"

I have been working at NCH Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable flexibility with working hours.

Cons

Your opinions may be asked for but will probably never be heard or seriously considered. Owner holds the reigns very tightly and rarely will be swayed and often makes what most of the employees would consider "questionable" decisions edicts at best. Communication is poor and somewhat curt and people who can't adapt quickly to the company culture are dropped, making a stressful enviornment with very high turn over

"Great engineering company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Canberra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Canberra (Australia)

I worked at NCH Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineering company. Friendly and high quality software engineers. You really enjoy your code here. Casual clothes, flexible working hours. Monitoring keystrokes and hours can make you feel annoyed at first but if you have a good working attitude, no one cares about it.

Cons

Salary a little bit lower than the market.

"Senior management is terrible"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Canberra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Canberra (Australia)

I worked at NCH Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a software developer, you are always directly involved in influencing end products. You make a new feature or update something, it's tested, it gets released.

The schedule is flexible. As long as you meet minimum working hours, they don't care what times you come in to work.

The people I worked with (except senior management) were all very friendly, supportive, professional, and knowledgeable.

No dress code. You don't have to wear a suit, which is nice. I could go to work in jeans and a tshirt.

The business is growing, and often hiring. Easy to get a job if you're qualified.

Cons

Senior management believes in an 'I can do no wrong' approach. On one day, we had a meeting where we were warned "do not make changes to products simply because YOU think it's a good idea - make sure you have good reasons." Sure, that makes sense. But then literally one hour later, we had a design meeting for the project I was working on, and I was told "I think we should totally change this up, because I don't like it the way it is." When I tried to point out we'd been researching and developing the current design for months, I was told he was the boss and therefore I had to do what he said.

They track every single move you make. On every computer, there is a program installed that tracks keystrokes, takes a screenshot every five minutes, and another screenshot every time you open a new window, and counts mouse clicks. If you don't press a key or click the mouse at least once per minute, it logs that you have gone "idle". It was extremely off-putting that I could not google something without senior management potentially being aware of it, and I could not take a five-minute break without my computer logging it. This was even worse because sometimes I would genuinely be working, but not at my computer. For example, in a meeting.

There is little community feel. When I worked there, there was a 'kitchen' facility. It had a microwave, and a fridge. There was no space to sit and relax, or communicate with co-workers. You literally had to converse while sitting at your desk, or standing in a corridor. There was nowhere else to go.

Lunchtime is set to be half an hour as standard. When I started working there, I was unaware of this rule, but was soon informed: "Your lunch hour is half an hour." As such, my agreement to work 9-5 days was obviously thrown out the window. I either had to work 9-5:30, skip half the lunch hour I expected, or eat at my desk while I worked. Most people chose to work and eat at the same time.

The high turnover rate reflects how difficult it is to work there. There are a few employees who have worked there for longer, but even they admit dealing with senior management is difficult. The advice I was given was "just do what he says and once he's satisfied you can fix it."

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing, follow your own rules, and LISTEN to your employees. You have hired them because they're experts, so let them share their expertise with you!