NSTAR Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NSTAR Chairman, President, CEO, and Trustee Tom May
Tom May

1. "Project Manager Assistant"

Former Employee - Project Manager Assistant in Foxborough, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager Assistant in Foxborough, MA

I worked at NSTAR (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and work hours, flexibility of working from home

Cons

Work environment was based on favoritism

Advice to Management

work on creating a neutral work environment for interns

2. "Cable Splicer"

Former Employee - Cable Splicer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Cable Splicer in Boston, MA

I worked at NSTAR full-time

Pros

allot of over time and opportunity for a great income

Cons

Family time is a task when money is to be made

"Regret ever taking a job with the company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

Pros

stable, high paying job if in union.
    Vacation & holidays are better than most places.

Cons

Lay offs can happen if outside of union or not in union long enough.
    Hostile work environment from both management & coworkers; constant gossiping is reminiscent of high school.
    Benefits vary drastically depending on non-union vs. union & on date of hire. Healthcare is not as good compared to a few years ago.
    Technology is extremely archaic, management refuses to update IT infrastructure.
    The longer you work here, the greater the skills gap will become.

Advice to Management

Do not micromange!
    Pay all employees fairly for storm duty or do not use non-union employees, it's not fair to those outside of union to sacrifice their time equally without compensation.
    Treat employees with respect and as adults, do not act like you are better than those you supervise.
    Update technology.
    Hire enough people, instead of overworking the ones you have.

"Poor experience with a company that has a sixties management style."

Former Employee - Staff Person in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Person in Boston, MA

I worked at NSTAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

No idea where to start... self-serving senior management. Antiquated technology. No growth opportunities. Work is unappreciated. Management refuses to hold its leadership team to the same standards DEMANDED of workers. ZERO accountability at the top.

Not a place for new graduates to start a career. Directors and vp's, once appointed stay in jobs until they have to wheel them out. No chance of advancement. You will get strung along in the charade they called the "talent pool". You are given promises of the world until they determine they have no use for you and then your career is done.

Try to get a job in the real world afterwards... Good luck.

Advice to Management

Can't give this management team advice because they firmly believe they have all the answers.

"Disfunctional"

Current Employee - Administrative in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has been around for many years

Cons

They still work as two separate organizations

Advice to Management

Need to learn to communicate more

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good work/life balance, still offer pension plans, interesting work

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement, behind the technological times (still use office 2003), very cheap (will not provide even management splitting time in two different locations with a laptop), almost everyone works in a cubicle with little light including managers.

Advice to Management

Upgrade technologies more quickly to be more in line with NU Philosophy, offer laptops to employees, provide more opportunities for advancement, provide all managers with an office.

"Good Compensation…..Great Career Development….Excellent People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a “millennial” coming out of college I was apprehensive of joining NSTAR being that they were known for their “traditional nature”. But since Google or Facebook wasn’t knocking at my door, I thought I’d give this company a shot.

Two years later…… I’ve received a great opportunity to move up within my department, learned a wealth of knowledge from an excellent group of experienced co-workers and managers and couldn’t be happier with my decision!

•Compensation – In my opinion, NSTAR’s pay is above market average. I’m not a compensation expert, but from my own research looking at similar jobs and companies in the Northeast, it seems fairly generous.

•Career Development – NSTAR does a great job of developing their talent. Opportunities are there to be had; young job seekers should take notice!

•People – Best part of NSTAR is the people. I know this may differ between departments, but the company culture and atmosphere really seems to foster a positive, respectful work environment.

Cons

•Distance – Personally coming from Rhode Island, the commute isn’t ideal. But the Westwood office does have a commuter train within a mile (Route 128), which is very convenient. They also provide free cab service to and from the train station. For those trying go green, this is a great perk!

•Surrounding Developments- Currently I work in an industrial park. And while this may seems like a silly complaint, there are building developments being constructed at the bottom of the Westwood office hill. According to the Globe, they are planning to build a “Target”, “Nordstrom’s Rack”, “Wegmans”… hotels, restaurants etc. Not sure if having easy access to these establishments will be good for my wallet!

Advice to Management

If Tom May were sitting in front of me right now I’d thank him for the great job he’s done with the merger of NU. I am proud to say that I now work for a “Fortune 500 Company”! If anything else, it just adds merit to your resume if working here.

"NSTAR and NU Merger - from NU perspective"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT

I have been working at NSTAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NSTAR has a diverse senior management.

Cons

No global communications, so conservative financially it slows internal processes

Advice to Management

Learn where to spend your money wisely. Value employee feedback. Communicate, allow employees to communicate. Value technology. Upper management should engage/communicate with employees more.

"It is what you would expect from a utility"

Former Employee - Senior Contracts Agent in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Contracts Agent in Westwood, MA

Pros

They have a great benefits package.

Cons

They need to provide qualified leadership to run the company.

11. "NSTAR is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Programmer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Programmer in Boston, MA

Pros

At NSTAR work is generally easy, the general environment is pretty relaxed, and compensation is good compared to similar companies.

Cons

Management approach is pretty top down, so you would not know what happens in other group or within senior management. Things seem like blackbox until they land to your desk, no heads up. Pretty traditional approach.

Advice to Management

Change the way projects and personnels are managed. There are so many good resources at NSTAR, who are not being used to the maximum potential because the organization structure does not allow management to know what are available. Communication within the organization is another key area where NSTAR can improve.