Needle Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Morgan Lynch

Pros
Cons
  • Went from hourly rate, to pay per chat with weekly PayPal deposit to monthly deposit to work for merchandise/gift cards only (in 6 reviews)

• Turnover in upper management tells you a lot about the corporate culture (in 6 reviews)

"Needle is on the move"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

Pros

We have a very positive work environment. Management has real passion and drive. I feel like I'm valued and constantly contributing to successful projects. Great tech stack.

Cons

health benefits are ok, but not great.

Advice to Management

need more warm bodies!

2. "Look at your original plan!"

Current Employee - Expert Advocate in Mountain Home, AR
    Current Employee - Expert Advocate in Mountain Home, AR

I have been working at Needle part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They will contract anyone? You can not work at all. Or you can work a lot. As long as you don't expect money?

Cons

I don't know where to begin. The original theory behind needle was basically if a person were purchasing something, wouldn't it be awesome to talk to an expert in the field? If I'm buying a wetsuit... who can I talk to that knows about wetsuits? Great idea, right? Well in the beginning that worked well! We were hired based on our expertise! Are you a Carharrt fan? Know a lot about American muscle? Women's intimate apparel? Then you apply for that related company. The problem has been (where do I start?) First off. When one partner closes they willy nilly throw you into another partner. So you may be a crossfit fanatic bit when that partner goes, They throw you into a bookstore. You may have never read a book...what kind of expert is that? I was complaining about this to a coworker. She said, " we aren't experts. We are Google searchers. I faked my way through my head Gregg interview" needle barely has any partners left and I don't think they will be around much longer. Nevermind that most partners have left and they stopped paying cash. They tell us needle is a hobby. Because everyone loves hobbying with rules and sales quotas!

Advice to Management

Take it back to your roots. Interview experts with a passion for the product! Pay in MONEY. You will get quality people. Your community managers are not responsive and are clueless . Train them and set up better communication

"Failed Miserably! Lack of management and direction is losing them money, so they are taking it back from the workers."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Needle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Good concept , poorly executed.

Cons

Needle has gone from the once outstanding business that was leading the online chat world in innovation and a stress free customer experience, to a downright laughable shell of what it once was.

If I were M.L. CEO of this company , I would seriously start to question how much longer this company can screw over it's Advocates on the front lines before going out of business. Advocates are the sole reason this company operates, without them, you have nothing.
    Needle has ZERO business ethics and has lost all sight as to what it once was trying to achieve. They have turned into just another online chat rep , with disgruntled, unprofessional, un experienced , un trained, un caring people on the line. This is due to the massive
    lack of management , pay , and operation

When I started at Needle , it took me 2 full weeks to get my foot in the door after rigorous testing, training, and proving that i was in fact an expert in my field. Now there is no training or screening at all. They will hire any Heartbeat as long as they agree to not be paid . One advocate even said " i have no idea what i am doing , they just told me to come here and start taking chats." This, in a nutshell, is the direction you can expect Needle to be going. The path they are on is one pointing direct to Bankrupt in less than a year.

Pay for this " job" is non existent . What once was outstanding, has now become an absolute nightmare. Leading you to question if the doors will be open the next day when you wake up, They have gone from paying cash weekly where I must say I was making good money ,To paying monthly , which certainly lead to some drastic reworking of the finances. To not paying cash at all and starting a " points system" where you can earn points and redeem them for limited products at full retail value . Each item of which you will be paying income tax on come January . You would think this nightmare of a story ends there, but it does not.

Since the " points" have gone into effect, they have raised the price on all products and lowered the points earned a minimum of 3 times in 6 months. Each time the excuse is uttered " our
    research shows, human beings are not motivated by money ." or " we will be bringing you new and exciting things to come , stay tuned! " Which, you guessed it , never come. At the time of this review, Needle has once again , in a classless act ,on a Friday night at closing of the main office, Informed Advocates that they will be taking a 25% pay cut again. With a whopping 3 days notice. This is a prime example of how Needle cares for the sole reason of it's existence , THE ADVOCATES. They are losing money from Clients dropping them. This is because with the lack of payment for advocates they have no " experts " that the client is paying for. Ultimately giving the client a bad reputation and in turn not wanting to continue the contract with Needle. , So they turn to the Advocate to recoup the loss. This can only go on for so long before the money has all been stolen from the Advocate and bankruptcy is inevitable. In my time at Needle, my pay was cut in half from the start to finish dates, and you can expect this to only continue until the rock is bled dry.

They at Needle told us " this is not a job. " They expected us to look at the work as a gaming system. That we can come and go as we please, Work when we want , Leave when we want , Do as we want, in the Online gaming system. Yet there were " managers " ( i use this term very loosely ) for every team. These Managers are there to tell you how to perform, what to do and not to do , When to perform . etc. Making the whole " gaming system" a false way to not classify Advocates as Employees. Hence a work around to not pay employee tax. Very shady !

Now when i say these managers were there, i say this loosely , as the turn over rate for a group manager is very high. A new one about every 3-4 months or so. Each not knowing where the last left off. Not knowing the ins and outs and trying to rekindle moral with false promises . Which leads to failure , no respect from the group, and ultimately confusion for the group. Then the " manager " being replaced for cheaper , less knowledgeable, less caring , person to take the place. Downward spiral at it's finest . Getting in touch with ANY of these " managers" is impossible. You can not , to save your own life, get in contact with anyone , EVER ! They show up , Give you bad news and say hang in there ,then disappear. Emails and messages go ignored 100% of the time.

This leads me to point redemption. In the system you were given points based on performance. This in effect is the demise of the Needle as a whole. This Company was started by Morgan Lynch to be a way for online shoppers to receive real time , un pressured , expertise about products that they are interested in. By moving to a performance based points system that only pays on making sales. You have completely contradicted the reason for this companies existence and turned all Advocates into high pressure salesmen ( or saleswomen) . If the person on the other end is not going to produce a sale. There is absolutely no reason for the advocate to waste the time talking to them. The pay per chat is 0.27 cents. If you would like to talk to a person for an hour on chat for 27 cents, by all means, enjoy. But realize that it will take you a full year to build any points to redeem. For sales, questions asked, how fast you are , etc , you earn points. Sales being the only one that makes any substantial difference. Without sales , you are going nowhere fast .

Was ML dream of this company to be yet another provider of high pressure sales people to online customers ? If so, He nailed it !!

Now to redeem these points you have points brackets , each with a monetary value. For a product ranging in the $1-$50 range it will cost you 12,500 points. By the old math that is $62.50, so for a $4.99 product you will be paying $62.50 plus shipping, plus sales tax, plus taxes on it at year end with the Federal Govt as income. If that is is not a red flag to run away as fast as your feet can carry you, then be warned that to redeem these points it is like pulling teeth . I have seen it take literally 2 months for one order to be redeemed. Excuse after excuse pours out as to why your orders are not being received by you . There is no management to respond to your personally , just blanket excuses. The system was promised to allow for orders whenever you chose. But as you guessed it , another lie, and that has changed to one single day a week . Which is mind blowing as the orders are never placed anyway ,so why does it matter when they come in ? In short , if you are one of the lucky ones, you may see the $4.99 item that you paid $62.50 for in about a month .

A little info for persons thinking this may be an opportunity for them , the 12,500 points stated above will roughly take 9 hours at first start. Once you are comfortable and taking up to 5-6 chats at a time. You can see that time cut in half or even less for the power players.

Now I was an Advocate for a company that in the most polite term possible, treated us like garbage . We would spend all day helping customers with sales, giving promotions, offering discounts , cross selling , up selling, pulling teeth to get the sale for the company. This company would set so many rules for our points redemption that it was on the verge of Hilarious . Almost like they wanted to see what they could get away with from Needle. As a Sales Advocate making the company easily thousands upon thousands in sales weekly. You would think there would be some perks . Wrong ! They would not allow us to use any promotions, buy at any sales prices, and a slew of other outrageous stipulations , leading you to only wonder if they did not want you to have their products . Again, this is where the 2 months time frame comes in , literally 2 months from product order to product received from the company that you bust your butt in the trenches for to make them money . It always baffled me why Needle would even allow them to make rules. It was a simple situation that was made remarkably complex for no reason at all. The company is an online retailer. Needle gets our order and places it , the company sells the item to needle on our behalf and ships to us, just like buying online anywhere else in the world. Yet Needle felt it ok for the companies to make a mess of this and make rules and stipulations on how we could make our purchases. We should have been seen as a regular customer placing an order, but instead Absolute Absurdity at it's finest .

To sum this up , As i could go on for days as to how this Company has lost all sight and will be out of business by year end. It is absolutely imperative that i strongly caution you against getting involved with Needle. They are in the business now , not of providing exceptional customer expertise with zero pressure, in a fun and interesting work environment that you would be happy to be a part of, but instead, of throwing a monthly wrench into the gears of the platform with sole directive to screw over the advocates that perform the job to recoup their losses for mis-management .

Run as fast as you can away from Needle. You can thank me later . Let me also add that any of the "Good" reviews you see about this company on here are obviously from the internal Needle Company and should be disregarded. After talking extensively with Needle Advocates. Not a single one thinks this company is great , treats its employees good, or is on the rise to better things. On the contrary, without the added internal Needle boost reviews. This company would be rated where it really stands , at 00 !

Advice to Management

Do you really think that any one of your Advocates buys into your " money is not a motivator " excuses ? You get what you pay for, And in this case , you get a losing business that will be irrelevant and obsolete in a year .

You had such a good thing going that with time would have made you Billions, While changing the way Customers look at online Customer Care. Instead, Whoever got greedy and could not wait to watch the company grow., has ruined the last shred of decency from Needle,all to cash in the few bucks and run. Very poor business practice, no ethic at all , and by continuing to screw over the Advocate ,Which without them you have nothing, you have crashed any sense of moral in the company.

Advice ? not really. it is too late for this company to rebound. Hind sight , Pay your EMPLOYEES , and realize without them , You do not EXIST !! Get management in place. Stop trying to skirt federal taxes and EMPLOY the people. And simply enough, just have some business sense! You have failed miserably !

"Bait and switch"

Current Employee - Chat Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Chat Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work at home and put in your own hours.

Cons

Job went from pay per chat to a points system that was promised that would allow for visa "cash cards" under the guise there value wouldn't be lost if gotten said "points" for these cards. Fast forward to a week before the system goes into practices they bait and switched us by increasing "cash cards" by 30%+ and reducing the guaranteed and promised points down to nothing. The only way you can make even close the same money is have sales reach a certain monetary threshold which is problematic to get in its own right.

Advice to Management

You want customer stats and sales to go up? Don't jerk around your advocates, customer stats will go down because no customer likes to get pushed and browbeaten into a sale and advocates will drop chats cold if there isn't a live fish on the line for a sale since there is zero incentive to keep them on and help them with general questions anymore making that friendly atmosphere turn grim. Enjoy the contracts while you have them, I give you guys about 4-5months before you scratch your heads wondering "Why did we lose that contract?"

"Absolutely Terrible"

Former Employee - Needler in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Needler in Nashua, NH

Pros

Work at home, flexible position.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Pay is per chat. One or 2 people would get all the chats and you could be logged in for hours only to make one dollar. You cannot live off of this job.

"Bad communication and no pay"

Former Employee - Needler in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Needler in New York, NY

I worked at Needle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible hours of work
    - Builds on existing knowledge

Cons

- No monetary compensation other than pre-paid Visas
    - No communication about the lack of proper pay
    - "Points" earned in lieu of pay accumulate very slowly and are based more on quantity

Advice to Management

Communicate better to your employees and compensate them accordingly. You'll lose people who would otherwise be great advocates.

""It's not about the pay""

Current Employee - Support Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Needle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

painless job, can work from anywhere, flexible hours

Cons

poor management, no warning whatsoever of massive corporate changes like changes to pay schedule(this actually happened, went from weekly to monthly with less than 24 hours notice to all chat advocates) The problem I've had with this company from the get go is the complete lack of hourly pay. From what I understand there are some brands that do offer this(brands being companies needle has contracted to work with)but my specific brand(Newegg) does not. There are massive expectations put upon advocates to uphold a high standard of work ethic and yet advocates are pretty much capped out at 10-12$ an hour despite the ridiculous requirements necessary to become a Newegg advocate to begin with. I left a very high paying job with full benefits to work with Needle only to realize that I would barely be treated like a person and definitely not be paid like one. Management is almost impossible to garner a response from when bringing up issues like better pay, warnings for when structural changes occur, etc. If you're a knowledgeable tech expert who feels this may be a good position for you, apply to Apple for their at home support positions first.

Advice to Management

Work with upper management to attempt to provide brands like Newegg with a better rate of pay for the effort they put in to keep customers happy. The advocates are what helped to land the contract with Newegg in the first place, and their continued mistreatment despite their obvious contributions is, frankly ridiculous.

"A Great Work From Home Opportunity For Temporary Income"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Easy, fast paced, work from home on a chat online basis. Create your own schedule, can make decent money.

Cons

When season get slows they will get rid of you as fast as they hired you. Promised they would keep in touch and never did, after making over $68,000 in sales!

Advice to Management

Some employees deserve to be moved to other companies if their contract is slow. A lot of us from Eddie Bauer were very good workers and you all dropped us fast!

"You take chats from customers on ecommerce retails sites-earn points towards products that are next to impossible to get"

Current Employee - Advocate in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Advocate in North Charleston, SC

Pros

Make your own hours, work as many hours as you want up to 25(ish) a week, work from anywhere with an above average internet connection. You become product experts for ecommerce retail sites, so when customers log onto that site and have questions about apparel, equipment, products, they have an option to a click a link to speak to you about certain items on the site.

Cons

You are paid per chat (about $1.00 a chat) and you earn points based on scores for 3 hour periods of time. Points are based on customer satisfaction, sales, and questions per chat. It takes a lot of points to earn free items though, and when you do earn enough points to order something for free, it takes Needle FOREVER to get it to you. Part of what you are ordering are things you are expected to have first hand experience with, so it could be apparel or equipment that you are expected to have first hand knowledge of.

Advice to Management

The scoring system is completely out of whack. It's a qualitative score based on a quantitative result, but not ever customer leaves feedback, so you could be providing excellent customer service to 98% of the customers but they don't leave feedback/scores about your service, and 2% leave negative feedback/scores and that effects your "average" for the 3 hour block. From a pure coding "logic" standpoint, the scoring system just doesn't logically make sense. Also--if you are helping a company sell their items with advice you are giving to customers, give the advocates a program in which they can purchase that company's products at a discount, wholesale price.

"Poor communication good concept"

Former Employee - Advocate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Advocate in Tempe, AZ

Pros

flexible hours, easy on boarding process

Cons

inconsistent scheduling, poor compensation, poor / inconsistent communication

Advice to Management

communicate changes, pay higher hourly rate