New Constructs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
David Trainer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great learning experience at small firm"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at New Constructs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot in a short amount of time here. Two week classroom training will teach you more about equity research than most undergraduate programs. Have the ability to touch all aspects of the business, with feedback welcomed and encouraged by management. Friendly atmosphere, they do a good job of screening applicants for a good fit.

Cons

There can be a lot of disorganization. Things can come up last minute and you have to change your prioritization. That can frustrate many people, but is probably pretty standard with small companies.

2. "Analyst"

I worked at New Constructs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training! You will learn alot about financial statements and what is hidden in the notes. Very small firm, so you will be working on meaningful projects from the start.

Cons

The compensation is low relative to more established peers. There is no 401k for example. Filing Season is very long.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "I wasn't cut out for it"

I worked at New Constructs full-time

Pros

Financial education - they go deep into methodologies driving equity valuation, arming employees with great tools to further their financial career
    Bonus structure - employees are rewarded for how well they perform during crunch time
    Peers - All employees are highly intelligent, driven, and all-around excellent people
    Super bowl party - they get after it

Cons

Filing season - very long days in early spring require employees to be "on" the entire time reading 10-k's
    Factory-like culture - employees' bonus based on performance in filing season; speed reading practically as important as actual financial know-how; generally higher stress
    Limited developmental opportunities - after first few weeks of training, analysts expected to be able to solve all problems without assistance; company culture frowned on asking for help
    Pay - good for Nashville, but not so much when considering hours/intensity worked; no retirement benefits

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate expectations for project completion

4. "Associate Analyst"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at New Constructs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Excellent introductory program training program led by the CEO, David Trainer.
    - Great opportunity for in depth practice analyzing financial statements. You will look through hundreds of financial statements in your first few months of employment.
    - Encouraged to bring new ideas to the table for financial models and the business as a whole from day one.

Cons

-Hours during filing season (February-March) are lengthy (Monday-Friday 6am to 6pm with the option to work Saturdays).
    - Must be able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously. It is a small company meaning everyone is responsible for multiple tasks. Not recommended for those who struggle with time management.

"Associate Analyst"

Pros

Great training program for incoming employees that includes classroom style sessions with the CEO. Hours are not as intense as many equity research firms with the exception of filing season which last 1-2 months.

Cons

Bonuses are tied to performance during filing season which only last 1-2 months rather than evaluating employee performance over entire year.

Advice to Management

management should consider changing incentive structure to account for individual performance over the entire year rather than just the 2 month filing season.

"Poor management and questionable value"

I worked at New Constructs full-time

Pros

Some of the people in the company were great to work with. The training provided some solid financial analysis skills.

Cons

I found it a bait-and-switch situation. There were great promises of deep analytics skill development and advanced responsibility. After a six months, the reality became apparent: the bulk of people were there like sweat-shop workers. The owner is under the delusion that he has a corner on the market of truth and accuracy. Overall environment was pretty toxic.

Advice to Management

Management should retire and let someone who is competent run the company.

"Great Entry Level Experience for Recent Graduates Interested in Equity Research and Data Analysis"

Current Employee - Associate Analyst
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst

I have been working at New Constructs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The experience acquired working at New Constructs is absolutely unique compared to what you might get at another research outfit. Specifically, because the company covers such a high volume of stocks at such a granular level, analysts are able to develop an intuitive understanding of the various tendencies and structure of a typical company in each industry.
    - Environment supports regular idea development and constant improvement of existing processes. Very similar to a Silicon Valley Start-up in this sense. Management recognizes that its greatest asset is it's employees: when an employee has an idea that might improve competitive position, the company encourages the employee to develop and implement the idea.
    - Fantastic Work/Life Balance, aside from February through April.

Cons

-Filing Season in February through April. Hours are lengthened and work can be stressful.

"Associate Analyst"

I have been working at New Constructs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I applied to New Constructs attempting to break into finance after spending 10 years as a golf professional. I noticed that their Associate Analyst job posting said "Experience in finance and accounting is helpful, but not required. All majors are encouraged to apply." Although I had a finance degree, I was attracted to the fact that they did not require a finance background. New Constructs recruits candidates from any background that are smart and have a sincere interest in equity investing.

New Constructs has been able to attract a number of great analysts from non-traditional finance backgrounds. The head of the analytics department initially started as an Associate Analyst with a background in philosophy PhD work. A previous analyst I worked with had a BA in the Classics from a liberal arts college. Working with a highly intelligent and diverse group of people at New Constructs has been a great experience.

New Constructs invests heavily in training new analysts. All new analysts are required to pass a 2-week classroom portion of training covering topics that include Capital Markets Theory, Corporate Finance, Valuation, and Strategy. The classroom portion of training is taught by the CEO who sacrifices a significant amount of time from his busy schedule. This is a great opportunity, especially for new analysts that don't have a finance/accounting/economics background, to learn MBA level finance and accounting. After successfully completing the classroom portion of training, analysts go through 3-4 months of systems training where they learn how to use New Constructs' proprietary app to navigate through corporate filings and build some of the most sophisticated and accurate valuation models for over 3,000 companies.

Analysts are encouraged to convey their ideas. Interaction with the head of the analytics department (VP of Research) occurs daily. This allows analysts to showcase their value and make immediate contributions and improvements to the analytics department. New ideas often lead to new projects that an analyst will be responsible for researching, implementing, and documenting. Management also allows analysts to take ownership of their projects. This is ideal because it allows analysts to submit the work they had envisioned.

Work/life balance is excellent. New Constructs prides itself on efficiency so during work hours, analysts are expected to complete tasks as efficiently as possible. This affords analysts the luxury of working a regular 8-5 M-F schedule 11 months out of the year. For one month out of the year, during corporate filing season, analysts work roughly 6-6 M-F with the option to work 7-5 on Saturdays. Analysts that choose to work on Saturday are compensated with 1.5 vacation days for every Saturday they work. As a previous reviewer posted, analysts are compensated well for this month with bonuses that are based on performance.

New Constructs' office is closed for all market holidays, the Friday after Thanksgiving, the Monday after the Super Bowl, and two weeks during Christmas and New Years. These days off are in addition to vacation and personal time. Throughout the year, New Constructs also sponsors a Super Bowl party, Christmas party, company outings (that are actually fun), and the occasional office lunch.

Cons

A sincere interest in fundamental equity research and data analytics is essential. We do not do any technical analysis. If you're fascinated by Warren Buffett's long-term value approach, New Constructs might be a good fit. If you're fascinated by CNBCs guests that interpret charts and short-term price movements, New Constructs is not for you.

9. "Engaging work. A great opportunity."

I have been working at New Constructs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I have what you might call a “non-traditional” background in the equity research analyst world; An outdoor enthusiast from a Colorado ski town turned CFA candidate. When I applied, it seemed that NC fit me better than I fit them. But, this is not Wall Street. What became evident very early on is the company’s motive to put many different minds in the same room, give them the training they need to understand and interpret the work, and allow each member to prove themselves. For the most part, development moves as quickly as you do, and the company benefits from that.

- Your interest in equity markets should be genuine. But, if it is coupled with an interest in technology, it may not need to be the only thing steering you to New Constructs. Analysts are given a toolbox I could have never expected coming in. I had no experience whatsoever with SQL and now it’s a part of each work day for me. Our data is the highest quality in the industry and it is powerful. I think working with software engineers to create and refine processes that provide a better user experience is a rare combination in this space; definitely in this region.

- There is room for creativity within proven and emerging processes. The work is pretty cool.

Cons

- The goal of intra-office communication here is efficiency. And, that makes sense if you consider the amount of work being completed by the small number in each department (analytics, engineering). There is a tendency to communicate through machines, which is great for what we do, but very different from other working environments I’ve been a part of.

10. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at New Constructs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started working at New Constructs as soon as I graduated college with a degree in Economics. It was a great place to work coming out of school because of the emphasis on training starting as an associate analyst. The first two weeks consist of an intensive MBA level finance/valuation course followed by 4 months of systems training. By the end of 6 months I would say I learned more about financial statement analysis and company valuation than I learned during 4 years in school.

New Constructs fosters an entrepreneurial environment where analysts at any level are encouraged to bring ideas and critique current processes. It's such an environment that enables one to move quickly through the ranks as the promotions and compensation are performance based. For example, during my first year I was researching new accounting standards and writing new policy guides that affected the models for all companies under coverage.

For anyone interested in capital markets, I think that this is a great place to work. I don't believe any other place would give the exposure to different projects and technologies. Analysts are usually given access to the SQL database fairly early on, which contains all our modeled information. This is exceptionally useful when analyzing companies on an aggregate basis.

Very laid back environment with great colleagues to work with.

Cons

For one month of the year, the data collection during corporate financial season can be a little repetitive, however, analysts are compensated quite well, and bonuses are based on work done during this period.