Cover image for Newfront

4.3
Newfront Co-Founder and CEO Spike Lipkin
Spike Lipkin

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and diversity(in 24 reviews)
  • "The people are great!(in 15 reviews)
  • "The team is amazing and really cares about their clients and mission.(in 11 reviews)
  • "From my extensive job search before joining, Newfront is a rare find that has a mixture of young culture, good leadership, great market, and fast growing phase.(in 8 reviews)
  • "also, great company culture(in 8 reviews)
Cons
  • "Lack of work/life balance(in 6 reviews)
  • "Lack of transparency, multiple massive layoffs, poor communication, misleading sense of security.(in 5 reviews)
  • "must be highly self driven and willing to work long hours.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Great salaries only go so far when you are expected to work 80 hours a week.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Sexual Orientation

This rating reflects the overall rating of Newfront and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

Consistently impressed at every turn

Sep 7, 2022 - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Individual practices and teams function slightly differently across the board so YMMV. Management is a good mix of generational industry experience and entrepreneurial approaches. Strong, authentic, earnest focus on DE&I at both a company and employee level. Hiring practices (try to) ensure teams are adequately staffed BEFORE someone leaves or new accounts flood in, and team morale is better as a result. "Work-life balance" is actually an area where the company walks the walk, instead of just being a buzzword to attract millennials.

Cons

Communication can sometimes be spotty as the company expands and orients itself post-merge.

Newfront Response

Thank you for sharing your experience! Our ethos of Work, Love, Play are at the forefront of our culture, and we are passionate about ensuring our employees have balanced lives as we work to define the future of the insurance industry.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work with!

Oct 19, 2022 - Senior Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Newfront is a great company to work with. Most team members are very professional and welcoming. Leaders who lead by example and live the company's ethos everyday: 'Work, Love, Play'. Some pros of the company include good pay, benefits, unlimited PTO, and opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

Merging companies can be very challenging, however, the best things in life don't come easy. If you put in the work you will be rewarded.

Newfront Response

Thank you for your thoughtful review and are excited that you experienced the true essence of Newfront. We are dedicated to building a team oriented, inclusive, and accountable culture focused on people. We look forward to the continued success that blending technology with insurance expertise has to offer our clients.

3. Join the Newfront team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

From great to horrifying in 12 short months

Nov 9, 2022 - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Used to be a very employee- forward company. Did the founders of ABD not realize how ugly the Newfront culture was before they merged, or were they just blinded by greed? Merger created no pros for “legacy” ABD or Newfront employees. Many people have abandoned the company. Newfront replaces high level people with mid level managers with big titles and no experience or skill in the industry. Company is bleeding money as they completely misjudged their ability to hire good employees and retain and generate business. This negativity impacts everyone in the company, They claim there will be no layoffs - Newfront’s usual way of dealing with their poor financial management. Instead they are pulling back resources and benefits, hiring poor managers and making everyone so miserable they are leaving.

Cons

Poor management. No resources to get jobs done. Profound lack of understanding of the industry, the desired customer experience or how negatively their actions affect its employees (or maybe just a lack of caring).

Newfront Response

Thank you for your feedback, and we are sorry that your experience has been less than ideal. We strive to put our employees first in all decisions - one of our four core values is Focus on People - so we take this feedback very seriously. In 2021, Newfront merged with ABD, combining technical expertise with top-tier insurance knowledge, with the goal of transforming the industry for clients. The merger did result in big changes for all of us. Today, we stand 800 employees strong, a 30% increase since August 2021. More than 6% of those new employees were hired at the Director level or higher, and they bring incredible experience from technology companies such as Google, Lyft, and Microsoft, and insurance powerhouses such as Marsh and Gallagher. Just as importantly, we have retained 86% of our employees. Additionally, we continue to implement initiatives and processes to better support employees during our busier times. Please share any suggestions and ideas to us at careers@newfront.com. Change is difficult for all of us, but we believe we are on the right path toward radically improving the experience of insurance professionals and their clients. Thank you, Spike Lipkin, CEO Brian Hetherington, President Kurt de Grosz, Executive Chairman

5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Racist, toxic, secretive culture. Would stay away due to impending layoffs

Nov 6, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

WFH, 3% 401k match. Building a new insurance platform from scratch for some reason

Cons

Newfront pays significantly below market for similar roles elsewhere. They will gaslight you into thinking you can't get anything better and refer to a "3rd party" consulting firm to set bands, but will never share the data. There are insane gaps in equity since ABD folks got shares instead of options during the merger. Minorities are often targeted and given insane workloads to increase the chance of quitting. If you are not the same race as your manager, you will be discriminated against and not promoted. Certain groups are overwhelmingly a single race. Just look at the leader to get an idea of what race they will hire and promote. Cost structure has gotten out of control, we have 2 of each role due to the merger and leadership is ill equipped to lead such a large company. Layoffs are just around the corner.

2 people found this review helpful

Newfront Response

Hi there. While this feedback is hard to receive, we do read each review and appreciate all input. If you are open to speaking with us about your concerns, please reach out at careers@newfront.com; we’d love to connect further. We wanted to address a few of the points you raise: Our compensation data comes from a well-respected source and is continually reviewed by a strategic consulting partner. The names of these partners were shared with our People Managers earlier in 2022. The market criteria we currently use aligns with our location, industry, founding status, and capital raised. We are proud of our world-class equity program, which is focused on rewarding our team for great work, offering competitive compensation, and incentivizing long-term retention. Since we began the journey of formalizing our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion approach in 2017 with councils and employee resource groups, we have worked hard toward involving DE&I through all strategic leadership decisions and inclusive practices in our work approach. We recently welcomed our first female board member and our first DE&I Program Manager and added our seventh employee resource group. We recognize that we still have work to do, and we’re committed to continuing this journey. Our goal at Newfront is to combine insurance expertise and advanced technology options, which will allow us to deliver innovative and effective solutions to our clients’ needs. All of our team members are working tirelessly toward this vision and we appreciate all of the hard work. Thank you again, Spike Lipkin, CEO Brian Hetherington, President Kurt de Grosz, Executive Chairman

6. 2.0

Bait and Switch

Nov 17, 2022 - Senior Account Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Shiny new start-up with lots of promises. Some people LOVE their positions. Health Benefit package is nice and family cost is partially covered by company. Lots of groups and online activities to join IF you have the time. The individuals are great.

Cons

I have not talked to one person in this company who is not completely overworked. After the first month I have had no time to participate in any of the "work - love - play" activities offered. The position was presented as an assistant role to Primary Servicing Team, and not client facing. Depending on what team you are in your experience with the company will vary widely. General disorganization, lack of knowledge of client operations etc, no employee training program (after the initial company-wide new hire training), lack of communication of expectations within your role, loudest voices in the company are deemed the most valuable although they are not always the most knowledgeable. No procedures. No accountability. I don't know how accounting has not been nailed for fiduciary violations for issues like holding onto client payments and not distributing them to carriers. Certificates are being issued incorrectly on most accounts I've seen personally and nobody accepts responsibility for the errors. Honestly shocked there has not been an E&O.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Phenomenal Company Culture

Oct 12, 2022 - Employee Benefits Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Disruptor in the insurance industry. This company cares deeply about its people and mission to transform the industry. Forward thinking, inclusive, culture.

Cons

Always too much work to do and too few people to do it.

Newfront Response

We appreciate your review. Focus on People is one of the Newfront values and we work hard to put our team members first. Additionally, thank you for your thoughtful feedback on workload. We continue to implement initiatives and processes to better support employees during our busier times. Please share any suggestions and ideas to us at careers@newfront.com.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

great

Oct 5, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexibility, fast-pace, interesting projects, welcoming culture

Cons

minimum 5 words for cons sucks

Newfront Response

Thank you for sharing your review and for contributing to Newfront's success (and your sense of humor)!

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good and bad

Jun 24, 2022 - Senior Client Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

They treat everyone like family Open minded Great values Great culture!

Cons

Ever since the merger, we lost our annual bonuses. It was replaced with stocks which you have to vest for 4 years! The amount they gave me was $5k and I found it appalling after the hardwork that I put into this company. It’s hard to get promoted because we are so understaffed. They say that there isn’t anyone to replace you if you get promoted meanwhile you see other people getting promoted in different segments. Very understaffed which equates to employees being extremely overworked. There keep constantly putting new systems and new methods of doing things, so you’re having to constantly learn new things while having an extremely busy workload. It’s very difficult. Now that they have merged, you work with different teams and let me tell you that it has been chaotic. Each team has their own expectations on who does what do it creates confusion on roles. By doing merging everyone together, no one truly understands how much you have on your plate.

4 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are delighted that you have experienced our award-winning culture. As we referenced at Town Hall, we are indeed paying the bonus you reference and building a long term bonus program for future years. The merger has presented growth and change. While that can create challenges, it has also created value for our employees’ lives. Due to the merger, we have more comprehensive benefits; for example, 100% paid medical, dental, and vision offerings for our employees and, more robust wellness programs (including 6 Mental Health Days). As we disrupt an industry, we are always working on solutions regarding workflows to deliver a superior client experience and help our colleagues operate effectively. We have unified our processes and procedures and will continue to streamline our operations. Everyone’s opinion is valued and there are many avenues for ideas, opinions, comments and questions to be offered and discussed. We encourage employees to touch base with their manager, or with any member of the Executive Team to share concerns and make suggestions either directly or via the anonymous questions we answer at each Town Hall. We are disappointed to hear you are feeling discouraged. Our goal for employees is to have equal access to growth and development and we’d like the opportunity to explore that with you. Please touch base with your manager about what it is that you would like to do with your career at Newfront. Thank you for raising your hand to share the pain points. We look forward to working together to create solutions that will positively impact all of our employees.

10. 5.0

Great Company

Sep 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, People and Top Notch Service Offerings

Cons

None that have come to light.

Newfront Response

Thank you for sharing your review of Newfront. We are proud of our strong company culture and thankful for employees like yourself that have aided us in continuing to grow and become an award-winning employer of choice.

11. 5.0

Great Manager and Work Life Balance

Aug 24, 2022 - Data Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Manager and Work-Life Balance

Cons

Relatively low salary compared to bay area.

Newfront Response

We are extremely proud of the culture we have been able to create at Newfront, especially our ethos of Work, Love, Play that encourages a healthy work-life balance. It is thanks to employees like yourself that have aided us in continuing to grow and become an award-winning employer of choice. We are constantly evaluating our compensation philosophy and aim to be a top employer in that regard. Please email us at careers@newfront.com if you'd like to provide specific feedback about the salary comparison; we'd love to hear it!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 157 Reviews
</>Embed

Newfront Reviews FAQs

Newfront has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 171 reviews left anonymously by employees. 83% of employees would recommend working at Newfront to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Newfront employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Newfront. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

83% of Newfront employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Newfront 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Newfront to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be work life balance .

Popular Careers with Newfront Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Newfront? Share Your Experiences

Newfront Careers

Cover image for Newfront

Work. Love. Play. These are the three pillars of Newfront, our ethos, and how we approach each day. We encourage our teammates to fill...More

• Benefits and Perks
  • Community
  • Training

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

Logo

102 days ago

Diversity and Inclusion
Earlier this month Newfront joined in the celebration of World's Indigenous Peoples Day! This day is celebrated to spread awareness about the #indigenous population around the world and to protect their rights. We also honor the contributions made by #indigenous people to protect the world's environment. To recognize the day, we asked Vaneza G., a proud Latina who joined Newfront this summer as Training Account Manager for our Advanced Professionals Insurance & Benefit Solutions team, to tell us what the holiday means to her.
Shared image - Today is World's Indigenous Peoples Day! This day is celebrated to - Newfront on LinkedIn
www.linkedin.com

Newfront Photos

+ Add Photo
Newfront photo of: How we define DE&amp;I
Newfront photo of: Work, Love, Play Ball! Newfront's Seattle team cheered on the Seattle Mariners for a night out at the ballpark. We packed a suite on one of the warmest nights of the year and took home a win! Go M's!
Newfront photo of: In person meeting!
Newfront photo of: The Newfront SoCal Team hosted clients and prospects for an intimate naval tour around San Diego Harbor. The attendees sailed around the harbor learning the history of the US Navy from form
Newfront photo of: Networking Panel

Zenefits Logo
Zenefits

4.0

Compare

Glassdoor has 171 Newfront reviews submitted anonymously by Newfront employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Newfront is right for you.