Nortech Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One Nortech"

Former Employee - Controller in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Controller in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, as much responsibility as you can handle, just below average pay, good benefits (Insperity)

Cons

no structure, little discipline, lack of clear strategic plan

Advice to Management

Remember to keep flexibility for your employees -

"An OK foot in the door for the electronics industry"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Mankato, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

microelectronics machines are cool!
    soldering is fun
    easy to get to location

Cons

management sometimes makes unreasonable deadlines
    towards end, not much opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Offering more opportunity for growth keeps interest
    recognize potential and don't waste it

3. "General Manager / Medical Device Business Development"

Former Employee - Business Development in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Business Development in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never a dull moment. Always seeking new customers so you're always meeting new people.

Cons

The company is not able to execute effectively on product/projects you will sell. Yet the upper management wants you to sell those capabilities. Customers are disappointed, the plants are upset that you sold something they can't do, the management team doesn't get it and wants you to continue selling what the company just can't do.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your capabilities. Admit you're a lower tier CM and focus on what you are good at doing. Build to print is all you can handle. Quit trying to proclaim that you're all that when you're not.

"Senior Quality Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Mankato, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands on, not confined within Quality Engineering boundaries-was able to utilize my whole skillset which covers manufacturing/process engineering, process development, new product introduction, continuous improvement in conjunction with Quality Engineering. Nortech believes in training and certifying their employees in the necessary professional certifications required for the job functions. Employees feel empowered. All the operators on the shop floor take quality of the product seriously. The plant manager understands what needs to happen to achieve success and very supportive/stands behind everybody. Facility is experiencing rapid growth (I believe double digits if I recall) and obtaining customers in a new sector. Med device customers/regulated industry and customers' order quantities ramping up very rapidly.

Cons

This is not really a con, since all companies experiencing rapid growth will have resources spread thin. Nortech Mankato is experiencing an astronomical explosion in volumes from customers in the med device industry Rapid growth (I believe double digits if I recall) and obtaining customers in a new sector. This is not really a con, but more or less growing pains that happens when rapid growth is involved and volumes increase dramatically overnight

Advice to Management

Management knows what needs to be done and are doing it. My advice is to keep on going the direction you are going.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Wayzata, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Wayzata, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They want to increase sales especially in medical. I was doing medical sales, but I had to move for family reasons to cali. I was doing well and bought some stock because as I was leaving last week, we hit some big sales to new customers.

Cons

it is in a cold area, looking forward to cali!!

Advice to Management

The CEO is a bit of a putz. The CFO is cool. Dump the defense business. Give us more bonuses when we have big con bonds.

"Dysfuctional Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Nortech Systems full-time

Pros

Great manager & people in my department.

Cons

Dysfuctionl production management and corporate level management. Rule by fear and threats. Do not respect their people.

Advice to Management

Change it up and respect the people who work for you and try to get a clue about the operations of your business.

"Managment doesn"

Former Employee - Corporate in Wayzata, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate in Wayzata, MN

Pros

Employees were nice. Work not too difficult. Work life balanced.

Cons

1. No job security. People get fired when prior quarter sales went down.
    2, No training or development. When you asked to go to class, they tried to not let you go even if for your certification. They are very cheap.
    3. Management (new CEO and his team) doesn't know what they are doing. No plan. If there is plan, they never follow anyway.
    4. Never accountable for their own problem.
    5. Always let useless employees running around

Advice to Management

This section should be for Board of Director. Get new team or get out of this investment. Put your money some wherelse might get a better return than having these plople running the company.

"Was fun, was like playing with adult sized K'nex."

Former Employee - Laborer in Bemidji, MN
    Former Employee - Laborer in Bemidji, MN

Pros

Easy, simple work, reliable hours

Cons

Management doesn't own up to its mistakes and employees and business suffers.

Advice to Management

Get new management instead of getting rid of employees for your mistakes.

"Did not expect that!"

Former Employee - Material Coordinator III in Milaca, MN
    Former Employee - Material Coordinator III in Milaca, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nortech employees are the best group of hard working people I know. They treat everyone like family. Production workers that is.

Cons

No steady schedule. Busy one week and working OT, going home the next lack of work. Some management have too much pull. Sales group needs to bring in more customers with product that is up and running. Too many new projects that are in design stages.

Advice to Management

Weed out the management people who are bullies!!!

"Bait and Switch at Aerospace- They said anything to get you in the door then dropped the boom on you."

Former Employee - Engineer in Blue Earth, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Blue Earth, MN

I worked at Nortech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product and Technology is interesting to work with.
    Production Operators are hard workers and try hard to follow directions.
    The management talk like they want to be a good company.
    Other Corporate divisions are better organized and functioning.

Cons

Too many decisions made at the Corporate level where they do not understand the Aerospace Industry or care to know the difference.
    Computers and Software are extremely outdated. They still use Novel.
    They use expired molding compound material when their policy clearly states that they do not use expired material.
    Production equipment is old, worn out and difficult to work with. Corporate will not consider updates or new tooling even when there are significant customer complaints.
    Most employees overwhelmed by work load and expectations.
    Nortech Corporate does not acknowledge the significantly different quality expectations in the aerospace industry.
    When there are customer complaints, it is easier to use the blame game, than take ownership for the failure and work to correct it.
    Total reactive fire fighting, no planning or preventative actions to prevent repeating defects and problems.
    Extremely high stress, high pressure, no resources to make changes.
    All of the best, highly trained and experienced employees have left the company or are trying to leave.
    Strong Negative Culture that take away any incentive to have ownership and pride in your work.
    Arrogant Plant Leadership have a take it our way or you know where the door is attitude.

Advice to Management

If Nortech Systems Corporation is going to remain in the Aerospace Industry, it must acknowledge the difference in quality and process control that it requires. They must provide the technology and resources to support the effort effectively or there product will be the source for a major catastrophic failure of an aircraft or military equipment that will cost peoples lives.