KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Noteflight Reviews

Updated Oct 23, 2018

Found 8 of over 8 reviews

5.0
Noteflight Managing Director John Mlynczak (no image)
John Mlynczak

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

1. 5.0

Sales Manager

Oct 23, 2018 - Sales Manager in Somerville, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Fantastic product that is innovative and impactful - Awesome team with strong accountability - Supportive and flexible management - Great camaraderie across the team - All the benefits of a small (<20) startup company, with the stability and security of a larger company (as Noteflight is now a subsidiary of Hal Leonard)

Cons

- So many ideas, so little time! Everyone has great ideas to improve the product, but with such a small team, it can take some time for good ideas to filter down through the priority list and make it to the live site.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Smart and Nice

Jun 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Two main hiring criteria are: 1. Must be extremely smart. 2. Must be extremely nice. Those rules are adhered to strictly, and the result is a team of extremely smart, nice people who work well together and have a great time doing it. The working atmosphere is a combination I haven't seen elsewhere of being very relaxed and "humane" with regard to people being human and needing to attend to their lives, while also very focused and hardworking and getting tons done and moving the company forward rapidly.

Cons

Very few cons - sometimes the fast pace of change and shifting relationships as new people join the team can be disorienting, although once people arrive they don't usually leave, so good relationships build over time, and several founding team members are still here almost 10 years later.

1 person found this review helpful

VP of Operations

Thank you for being part of this amazing team. It is always great to get feedback and advice.

3. 5.0

Great Working Environment!

Oct 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I just recently started at Noteflight and from day one everyone has been so welcoming. You can really feel the start-up vibe and friendly atmosphere of the company. Your ideas are always heard and there is a ton of support when you need it. Feedback is appreciated and implemented a majority of the time. Of course, there are BBQ's on the patio and it's a sweet office in Davis Square, but if you're looking to make things happen and see the fruits of your labor this is a great place for that.

Cons

I am new, but I haven't seen any cons yet! I will say if you don't like being held accountable and working in a fast-paced environment then this isn't the place for you. Things move quickly and stuff gets done. I love that, but it might not be right for some people.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Wonderful Company

Jul 18, 2017 - Software in Somerville, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’m new to the company and new to the tech industry as a whole. I specifically chose to work at Noteflight because of the company’s intentionality in bringing on new (and junior) devs like myself. Noteflight has been thoughtful about their on-boarding process and everyone on the team has been amazingly encouraging—reminding me that it’s okay that I don’t know everything yet, and displaying a palpable faith in me that I will learn and grow here. Plus, Rick barbecues for us and we play lots of ping-pong.

Cons

Perhaps I’m too new, but I honestly don’t know of any cons to working at Noteflight. And if they came up, I’m sure they wouldn’t last long. We have regular retrospectives where we as a team actively talk about the things we’d like to improve.

5. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Jun 20, 2017 - Software Architect in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great teams. The development team works hard and plays hard together, always available if a question needs asked or help is needed. The management team focuses simultaneously on 'where will Project X take the company and benefit our users', and every check-in/review asks, "what can we do to make your experience better?" This makes happy developers. Happy developers work hard and put out great products. Great products make users/customers happy, which makes management happy. The cycle continues.

Cons

Onboarding was kind of a challenge. Still some technical challenges regarding hardware/environments. It is improving greatly though!

VP of Operations

This is great. Thanks for the review and thanks for the advice.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

A brilliant experience so far!

Jun 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

(Disclaimer: I started a month ago as a newly minted junior web developer. Noteflight's current office is located in Davis Square, right next to Sacco's. The space is an open floor plan that can seem intimidating; however, everyone on the team is fantastic to talk to and work with. The VP of Operations and de facto team lead, Rick, is a great mentor and he has done a really good job of creating an environment in which people feel valued and have plenty of opportunities to mentor and learn. The team is agile, and the workflow is trim. Standup is in the morning, people help each other with tickets, and the release schedule is relatively short. Because the team is so small and flat, and the product is so focused, there are fewer (albeit no less thorough) rounds of code review, and my code made it to a release within a few days of my starting! The benefits are pretty great. As far as the office goes, there are people, the ping pong table, and the fairly regular gaming sessions. There’s a patio with a grill, which gets used for barbecue when the weather is nice. There’s a small little half-kitchen with a dishwasher, and everyone cleans up after themselves. In general, the space goes a long way towards fostering a communal environment. Noteflight is technically part of Hal Leonard (HLC), and so Human Resource concerns such as healthcare and payroll are handled by the mothership. Noteflight does have some differences — e.g., they have an unlimited vacation policy, commuter expense benefits, and a profit-sharing plan. I have yet to take full advantage of everything, but in general, the terms seems generous. Many of the people on the team have been here for years, and they seem to be pretty happy. For the curious, my formal job offer listed the salary at market rate, which I had researched via Salary.com and other sources. My job title is senior for my position, but everyone on the dev team has that job title, so it makes a little more sense. I accepted my job offer right away.

Cons

None so far, but I'll post another review if something comes up.

VP of Operations

Has it only been a month? Feels like you have always been part of the team!

7. 5.0

Best Job Ever!

Aug 3, 2017 - Software Architect in Somerville, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, management, product, atmosphere, and schedule.

Cons

Little room for significant salary growth beyond standard for Junior/Mid Level Developers.

8. 5.0

Amazing Company

Jun 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative and fun environment with an amazing team.

Cons

No cons with this group.

VP of Operations

Thank you for being part of this "amazing team"

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews