OnLive Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charlie Jablonski

1. "Nobody at the wheel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product and technology and mostly smart people to work with.

Cons

No upper management deserving of that position, zero communication with the employees, poor business decisions, no direction.

Advice to Management

Take some management courses.

2. "GREAT CAR! BAD DRIVER!"

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Imagine OnLive as a car with a nice strong engine, amazing tires/rims , and beautiful detailed interior with a supermodel sitting shotgun.

Cons

Now imagine they gave the keys to that car to Mark Jung, (Euphemism for how poorly he ran the company)

Advice to Management

Shouldn't have hired Mark Jung

3. "Great and fun experience at first, then just nightmarish toward the end.."

Former Employee - Front End C++ Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Front End C++ Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at OnLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge tech, great project, great dev and ops teams, some great people. Great marketing and PM people at some which is so rare.

Cons

Sociopathic megalomaniac CEO, petty and retaliatory middle management, inexistent CTO, general mercenary vibe. One thing I learned for sure is to never work for Steve Perlman ever again, or believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Advice to Management

It's too late now I guess. I hope we all learned from this fiasco.

5. "Great people, but technology ahead of its time."

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, the technical infrastructure is really awesome, the streaming technology is the best out there.

Cons

Direction has always been problematic, formulating the right service offerings and getting the right business strategy. Eventually streaming games will be commonplace, taking their part in the overall landscape of computer gaming, and quite probably a large chunk. Cracking that nut at this time has been really, really hard. Having the company die briefly on the operating table once didn't help marketing -- as much as zombies are the hot thing these days, folks don't care for resurrected companies, especially in a market that hasn't been proven and has the public mistrust. And the megalomaniacal former CEO, also responsible for the egregiously poor and scattered direction early on, burned too many bridges to allow for OL2 to exit well. Instead it turned into cheap damaged goods sale to Sony. It's as if someone invented and built a Portal gun, demoed it in a China shop with much crashing of goods; gnashing of teeth; and loss of limb, ran out its power, someone else bought it for cheap, powered it up again, and the public, understandably, kept their distance.

The technology has very wide application, and the focus on gaming was, I believe, thought to be a good, possibly profitable, proof-of-concept. Well, the tech works, but failing to coherently explore other applications was a huge mistake.

Another con: tech too magical to be taken seriously by the public. I guess you would call that "incredible technology". It's damned good for sure, but it ain't magic.

Advice to Management

Don't regret what you've done. Hindsight's 20/20, and it's hard seeing the right path when you're trailblazing.

CEO, you could have been more active. I don't mean just present. Actual participation in business development instead of occasional advising could have made a huge difference. I didn't have much visibility into what you were doing, but this is the impression I get.

Investor -- I believe you were right to buy the company. Great technology (great game service infrastructure), great team. Tons of potential. Quite the tricky situation, though, with the smoldering legacy of opinions both of the public and business suitors, the timing (v. consumer bandwidth and sentiment, e.g.), subtle possibilities of application, and finding the right strategy to navigate all that. It could have been seriously game-changing, and all the team are grateful for the second chance at making it go. Not just to have jobs for a couple years more, but because the technology and service were built with conviction and we wanted it to have the best chance at succeeding.

6. "Great people, not the greatest company direction."

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people, catered lunches, weekly grog hour (beer, finger foods, and socialization time), good health benefits (medical, dental, and vision benefits).

Cons

The market seems to not be ready for OnLive. After the bankruptcy in 2012, the future is unclear.

Advice to Management

Would have been nice if the original CEO didn't make poor business decisions and effectively ruin the company as well as the public's opinions of it.

7. "Totally welcoming and innovative."

Current Employee - Data Center Operations Technician in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Data Center Operations Technician in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at OnLive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free video games, free food, a sense of camaraderie, great office layout, extremely intelligent management and engineering groups, great benefits.

Cons

There are no cons when you work somewhere awesome!

8. "GCompany is T"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Mountain View, CA

I worked at OnLive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

food and camaraderie. get to work on some cutting edge stuff.

Cons

lots of baggage from the old company with the same name.

Advice to Management

the old company spent too much time and money seeking public attention. the new company errs in the opposite direction. no press at all.

9. "Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at OnLive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, lots of energy

Cons

Executive management failed big time

Advice to Management

Get a plan and stick to it

"Amazing Product. But Selfish, Egotistical, and Disrespectful Management"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at OnLive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the greatest talent I have ever seen. Some open to new ideas, others stuck in their ways.

Cons

Company was run into the ground with multiple, idiotic management decisions. In fact a good portion of the Ops team came as a group and then left as a group to move to another company when we needed them most. They all ditched to go work for a company that makes fancy thermostats.

Advice to Management

Some management were rude and disrespectful to their employees. One person in particular would be Mr. M, we'll call him. Often shushing people mid sentences like they were dogs and ignoring co workers when they would even say hello. However the largest problem was at the top of the food chain. CEO made selfish, poor, egotistical and poor business decisions.

The product was great and with the right management it would have exploded. However that didn't happen.

HIGHLY recommended reading for the full story: "OnLive lost: how the paradise of streaming games was undone by one man's ego"

"Was fun while it lasted"

I worked at OnLive full-time

Pros

Brilliant, helpful, and gracious technical staff; fun culture; great perks and benefits. The underlying technology really is innovative and exciting.

Cons

Business model obviously wasn't viable; no reason to believe that restructuring will fix this. Frequent breakneck pushes to implement major new features with unclear, ever-changing requirements. The mass layoff was handled poorly.